• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Pokémon World Championships | Washington, DC | August 15th-17th | Twitch Stream

Just saw this. Seemed fitting to post:

i09FcDYl.jpg

ChrisD

Wait, you're telling me a Pachirisu took a place in Worlds.

Pachirisu.

Truly, nothing is completely worthless in the Video Games, my word. If the TCG could have things come out of left field like that it would have been so much better.

Tiamant

GameFreak must be devastated, Every gen trying to buff Pikachu only for a pretender electric rodent to come and take the glory.

Guess so. They usually reveal the location for next year but maybe they'll announce that on Twitter. I'll definitely try to pick VGC up when ORAS comes out though I might be busy with things. Probably online only for me though seeing as TPCi has no intention of coming over here lol.

So thinking about the final match. Mega Lucario Bullet punch vs. Gardevoir does similar damage to what your typical Brave Bird Talonflame does (a little less actually). Now, Gardevoir tends to have EVs to survive the Brave Bird (it requires a fair bit of HP and defence investment, seeing the Stone edge survival also points to this being the case). Well it was still a valiant effort and a critical may have made the difference and kind of like the Seniors tactics of "hope Rough play misses the Garchomp" it was a big risk that had to be taken as there was no other way out.

Wonder what the speed stats were on those Aegislash (were they a tie). I mean the conventional wizdom of minimum speed to stay in shield for longest almost looks like crowd stupidity in that situation (had the higher HP one gone first it would take the kill, even against a shield forme).
I recalled now that VGC lists teams, items, moves and natures (so it didn't matter senior winner telling people about safety goggles on Gengar) for top 4 of each bracket.
Modest vs. Quiet. Not even close to a speed tie.

Neiteio

I just love the fact Pachirisu played such a big role here and in the preceding battles. So awesome to see a seldom-used Pokémon that "common wisdom" might have written off as no good.

Firestorm

I really want to see the EV spread of Se Jun's Pokemon.
Wonseok, the other Korean representative (and the runner up at this year's Korean National Championship as well as the one who won Korean Nationals the year Sejun didn't play due to already having his invite) said he will translate Sejun's tournament report for us :)

TrickRoom

At the very least, I'd guess there will be event distributions of "Se Jun's Pachirisu" much like past champions' Pokemon distributions.

The amount of fan-art coming out of this really shows how much of an inspiration to the mind the entire event was. I can remember just two years ago, world championships would just happen, and their results would get posted on youtube with long lulls between choosing battle turns. This year, the commentators, twitch streaming, and the almost memetic-scale finals made waves across the Internet like none I've seen before. I've seen people in various places turn their heads towards the VGCs now that this happened, maybe giving competitive battling a shot, or making admissions that they didn't realize the VGCs could be so hype.

I wonder what it will be like next year?

Wonseok, the other Korean representative (and the runner up at this year's Korean National Championship as well as the one who won Korean Nationals the year Sejun didn't play due to already having his invite) said he will translate Sejun's tournament report for us :)

That's great. Looking forward to it.

The amount of fan-art coming out of this really shows how much of an inspiration to the mind the entire event was. I can remember just two years ago, world championships would just happen, and their results would get posted on youtube with long lulls between choosing battle turns.

It's quite amazing to see the reaction to Se Jun Park 's victory. I could fill an entire 3 pages with all the fanart.
The chosen teams, the good battle itself ,underdog Pachirisu and even the better looking graphics/animation just made the event more fun to watch.
Hope it will end up being just as good next year.

Ah well. A few more won't hurt.

Top Bottom