• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

pronk420

It finally came :D The cousin feels pretty big but it's nice to have a case that can hold it and some other A5 notebooks. The pages have more space than I was expecting though, and I'm not sure I need it.

I'm really tempted to get an English planner too for personal stuff (my cousin is for work), although the import charges here really suck, about half of it was a handling fee..

hitsugi

I got mine on Tuesday - fantastic! While it was smaller than anticipated (although my expectations were tempered by people posting photos of theirs earlier) I think it's actually the perfect size for its use.

entremet

Wait, so do the leather cases actually cost over $300? I may have made a huge (hilarious) mistake...

Oh God. Don't forget expensive lol.

Contact customer service and always use a currency exchange calculator when buying foreign goods. Unless you want to keep it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
gWyJBAq.jpg

(thanks to CheesecakeRecipe for the beautiful edit)

Dennis

Banned
The leather cases don't cost $300......at least I got my black leather case for the Cousin for 10,800 Yen ($92)

Money well spent!

so i was able to order with my debit card and not my credit card. should be coming by the end of the month. got the animal cover

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
No, I kept that and have been using it, but they sent a second one to replace it, which I left sealed and put up for auction.

Jeez. I imagine there are people who freak out about ordering from Japan. It honestly could not be easier and they ship so fast, but I guess not everyone knows that.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Also there are a few brick and mortar that sell them.

Really? I tried to search around and see if there were authorized resellers but I never found anything.

I do feel like getting your Hobonichi sent direct from Japan is part of the fun, somehow.

I'm still not happy with the pen I'm using. I'm using a Pilot G2, but it just feel kinda scratchy and the ink takes a little longer to dry than I'd like. Can anyone recommend a pen that writes a little smoother with a quicker drying ink?

I came upon a Hobo Nichi display at the Loft in Shibuya!

It was nice to finally be able to check out all the cases in person. They all looked great, but I think my favorite was the red plaid. Still, I'm happy with my navy blue :).

I hung around there a bit. A bunch of people checked them out but I didn't see anyone buy one. Two twenty-something girls laughed at the price :/. They were looking at a ¥6000 one.
I'm still not happy with the pen I'm using. I'm using a Pilot G2, but it just feel kinda scratchy and the ink takes a little longer to dry than I'd like. Can anyone recommend a pen that writes a little smoother with a quicker drying ink?
I've been using the Pigma Micron 02. I love it so much I just bought three more.

tr4656

Ohto Graphic Liner, Uni Signo DX.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Of course! Hidden on their own website!

I'm an idiot.

I came upon a Hobo Nichi display at the Loft in Shibuya!

It was nice to finally be able to check out all the cases in person. They all looked great, but I think my favorite was the red plaid. Still, I'm happy with my navy blue :).

I hung around there a bit. A bunch of people checked them out but I didn't see anyone buy one. Two twenty-something girls laughed at the price :/. They were looking at a ¥6000 one.

I've been using the Pigma Micron 02. I love it so much I just bought three more.

Oh man! I'd love to see all the covers in person!

Hopefully my order should be here by early next week. I ended up getting the Japanese version instead because of the late February date. I'll pick up the English version next year, just excited to start using it and keeping track of a few things in my personal/professional life.

I also ordered some markers and a few sticker sets!

Loft is like heaven, wish I had known about the hobo niche when I went there

were they only selling them packaged with the cover like that? the onett one looks cheap compared to the website
Nah, you could buy them separately for ¥2000. And I don't know if the Onett looks cheap, but, yeah, the texture was different than I expected. I'm not a fan of the Harris Tweed one though :/. Especially at that price.

pronk420

Nah, you could buy them separately for ¥2000. And I don't know if the Onett looks cheap, but, yeah, the texture was different than I expected. I'm not a fan of the Harris Tweed one though :/. Especially at that price.

oh i meant the price for the Onett one in that picture looks cheaper than it is on the website, given that you get a planner with it, but maybe it isn't

oh i meant the price for the Onett one in that picture looks cheaper than it is on the website, given that you get a planner with it, but maybe it isn't
Ah, totally misunderstood you lol. I believe those were all inclusive. At least, I didn't see any separate cases, only separate techos.

And to clarify a bit about the Harris Tweed, the tweed part looks great, but I think it would have been better if the rest was real leather.

BlueSteel

Hi all,

Question: Can I get the english planner and a techo 'original' cover? It's A6, so I'm assuming there'd be no issues right?

dorn.

The shipping on those things really is crazy fast, I ordered an April start date cousin on February 2nd and according to the tracking it arrived in Frankfurt on the 7th. Sadly it's stuck in customs ever since, wish they'd hurry up...

norm9

Stopped using it for about two weeks, now I need to come up with ideas for all the blank pages. Most likely, badly drawn sketches.

Stopped using it for about two weeks, now I need to come up with ideas for all the blank pages. Most likely, badly drawn sketches.

One neat thing I wanted to do with my blank pages was use the grid paper to draw pixel art characters. It's easy and fun and can look pretty sharp if you want it to.
Other than that, I have lots of big stickers if I'm feeling lazy and want to consume blank spaces.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
My favourite part of daily journaling now is sketching. Love looking back and seeing what images I wanted to draw that day.

Also, the Sakura micron pens are fantastic. I need more colours right now.

For the days I didn't write anything I just leave it blank

Unless I'm backfilling things I'm trying to log every day like meals, if I didn't draw/note anything I'll assume that nothing worth writing down came to mind that day anyway

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Step one is getting over the anxiety of writing in your Hobonichi.
Step two is getting over the anxiety of not writing in your Hobonichi some days.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have a fallback system for if I don't have anything to put in, just to make sure I keep up the habit of always using it. Daily weather in Kanji, and a Word of the Day type entry if I have nothing eventful to write or doodle. So far it has done pretty well on keeping me using it.

I try to write what I did on missed days, even if it's just a word or two. Sometimes I'll expand a day on which I did a lot and take up the previous day's mostly unused page with pictures cut out from a flyer or something.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I have a fallback system for if I don't have anything to put in, just to make sure I keep up the habit of always using it. Daily weather in Kanji, and a Word of the Day type entry if I have nothing eventful to write or doodle. So far it has done pretty well on keeping me using it.

Daily weather??? That is only one step above a case on case user! How could you betray me like this???

Okay, a few steps above a case on case user, but still.

Superflat

Thanks to this thread I bought a Hobonichi Techo Cousin with an April start date.

I am also now obsessed with stamps, tape, pens, and all sorts of nonsense that Hobonichi has inspired in me.

Real talk, I've never used a planner outside of grade school but I think this is going to significantly improve my daily operations and further motivate good habits.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just make a sketch for that page.

I'll go back the next day and fill in a detail or use the space in some way, but I'm also fine with a few blank pages.

I love making my Hobonichi part of my day. The best way to ruin that wonderful routine is to turn it into an obligation and stress out. There really is some happy medium between being afraid to record your silly thoughts in such a nice book and feeling like you absolutely must fill every square on every page no matter what. Perfection has always been the enemy of the diarist. I like the sense of accomplishment I get from long unbroken strings of entries, but I try not to force it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom