• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

17779047666_2a51da909d_o.jpg

Cutscene

17778973496_b34ce43609_o.jpg

Gedosato hud removal works fine by itself, it just can't play nice once reshade is injected

If you feel like experimenting: small thread in cheat engine forums, what Gniarf describes there worked for me on some games open the menue and search for 1 (4bytes) close the menu and search for 0, repeat. If you are able to bring the number of addresses down to a couple of hundreds then go through the list changing the numbers and watch the hud.

If you're lucky and find the right address you should be able to turn the hud on/off by changing the number (via hotkeyes ingame).

I can give it a shot when I'm home from work but no promises.

EDIT:
For whatever reason, this game constantly crashes my computer when alt tabbing, I've tried it 3 times. So I wont be able to look for the address, if the game behaves better on your end I'll advise trying it out though as it shouldn't take very long to see if there is any.

Nick Pal

Yikes..I had hoped Witcher 3 would look better than this given the recent screenshots. Cut scenes look nice but..I think it needs some reshade after all..

One3rd

Gedosato hud removal works fine by itself, it just can't play nice once reshade is injected

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I was using the menu transition (with the help of CE to slow down gamespeed) to capture screenshots in Darksiders 2. It was the weapon or inventory menu though I believe, as one of those removed all HUD elements for a second before bringing up the menu.

If you feel like experimenting: small thread in cheat engine forums, what Gniarf describes there worked for me on some games open the menue and search for 1 (4bytes) close the menu and search for 0, repeat. If you are able to bring the number of addresses down to a couple of hundreds then go through the list changing the numbers and watch the hud.

If you're lucky and find the right address you should be able to turn the hud on/off by changing the number (via hotkeyes ingame).

EDIT:
For whatever reason, this game constantly crashes my computer when alt tabbing, I've tried it 3 times. So I wont be able to look for the address, if the game behaves better on your end I'll advise trying it out though as it shouldn't take very long to see if there is any.
That is an interesting method of disabling the HUD, have you found that this generally works in other games as well? It also looks like a way of finding the menu pause...which is very helpful for a screenshooting table.

Yikes..I had hoped Witcher 3 would look better than this given the recent screenshots. Cut scenes look nice but..I think it needs some reshade after all..

I think reshade/sweetfx and most of those tools make games look worse. Including those Batman and COD shots in this thread.

It's fine for everyone to have their preference but to see a day 1 game (that looks beautiful) and insult the artists by saying it needs some (often over done) tweaking is a bit sad.

EDIT:

I wish i had that kind of patience.

If hud removal / general clean screen shotting takes more than 5 minutes to set up, i usually give up.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I was using the menu transition (with the help of CE to slow down gamespeed) to capture screenshots in Darksiders 2. It was the weapon or inventory menu though I believe, as one of those removed all HUD elements for a second before bringing up the menu.

I've also looked into trainers for further options like slow time, but hesitated since they seem so sketchy

darksiders22015-05-1896syq.png

darksiders22015-05-16wqsr7.png

Nick Pal

Your COD screenshots are amazing. These games don't really get the credit they deserve IMO.

Thanks.

I think reshade/sweetfx and most of those tools make games look worse. Including those Batman and COD shots in this thread.

It's fine for everyone to have their preference but to see a day 1 game (that looks beautiful) and insult the artists by saying it needs some (often over done) tweaking is a bit sad.

Really, you can't name a single game you've seen that's looked better with reshade? Come on dude..at the end of the day like all forms of art it's subjective but some games have clearly benefited from it while others don't need it at all. This doesn't look like the 2013 build even in terms of color so yeah I'll be trying to get it closer to the 'artists' original settings. It's not about insulting them. Another area where reshade has it's benefits is for those who can't run a game at ultra settings can try tweaking in reshade instead to get similar results and perhaps take less of a performance hit.

Edit: I rest my case. See..he's not insulted. :p

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-dev-talks-modding-graphics-2013-build/

R8TEDM3

Textures are horrible for a 2015 game, and especially knowing who the developer was, makes me just scratch my head! How could they ever mess up so badly...i guess that's what happens when you develop a game with consoles in mind first, and port it to PC!

17656642580_ee0bb08b69_o.png

One3rd

If hud removal / general clean screen shotting takes more than 5 minutes to set up, i usually give up.

I've also looked into trainers for further options like slow time, but hesitated since they seem so sketchy
Are you using Jim's table in the guide I linked? If so, it has timestop and you can also use the Speed Hack hotkeys in Cheat Engine while using the table. See here for details. Amongst other things, it can be very useful for taking HUDless screenshots utilizing menu transitions that a lot of games now use. Not as elegant as a HUD toggle but in a pinch a pretty viable workaround.

...That is an interesting method of disabling the HUD, have you found that this generally works in other games as well? It also looks like a way of finding the menu pause...which is very helpful for a screenshooting table.

Yes , it worked in a couple of games I've tried. My understanding of it is that this is only for games that use a flag for displaying the hud, I don't know if every game does it like that (probably not) or if it is always 1 for not showing and 0 for showing the hud (I guess it could be stored as any value) but if I come across a game where there is no hud toggle to be found in the usual places, this will be the first method I use to try and find one.
And as you've mentioned, I stumbled upon the gametime address too while looking for it. I don't know how common it is to store the normal gametime as "1" but I've come across that 4-5 times now.

I can understand that, this can be a huge time waster. Normally I would look for what crashes the game on my end and try to fix it... but my patience also run out (after 3 tries, but I'm also a little bit nervous when something completely freezes the entire system, don't know how healthy this is for the hard/software:)

Marcelus

The total absence of any aliasing whatsoever is amazing. Can't stop staring. Did you downsample or anything?

Screenshot is with 5K downsampling (DSR) and 2x MSAA but if you want some relatively good AA for gameplay try FXAA from reshade combined with in game MSAA.

Nick Pal

Actually on Ultra settings Witcher 3 doesn't look half bad and the lighting is beautiful.

If my video card doesn't melt I'll post some pics in a bit. Looks good in 21:9.

OtisInf

Textures are horrible for a 2015 game, and especially knowing who the developer was, makes me just scratch my head! How could they ever mess up so badly...i guess that's what happens when you develop a game with consoles in mind first, and port it to PC!

17656642580_ee0bb08b69_o.png

The lighting is also messed up: the mountains in the back are blue-ish but the walls in front aren't. It's like they're in different parts of the day.

They're nice people, but their previous games also weren't performance kings, I have no illusions TW3 will. I must say the grass especially is horrible, there are skyrim mods who give way better grass than this.

Screenshot is with 5K downsampling (DSR) and 2x MSAA but if you want some relatively good AA for gameplay try FXAA from reshade combined with in game MSAA.
ah makes sense thanks, I already wondered how one could get the graphics so buttersmooth!

That last pic is from the Russia level isn't it? Has the bug with the game crashing with "next gen" features turned on, finally been fixed somehow? That level made me have to turn off the next gen features last time I played it a couple of years ago.

It was still there the last time I've played it 1-2 years ago. You can re-enable the effects after that though withouth having the game crashing on you.

It was still there the last time I've played it 1-2 years ago. You can re-enable the effects after that though withouth having the game crashing on you.

Ah, later on in the level? Cause the bug was also on the ice and snow level in the Himalayas(?) after that too!

Love your TR Anniversary pics btw!

Top Bottom