• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Spazznid

Wow, I can finally get the game someday!!!

Definitely.

I am weird with my stance on CA. I'm all for it when thinking of a certain type of camera effect, but in first-person gameplay it's not so good. Third person, or as a camera lens it does it's job for me.

Afro

again, that tweak does not fully remove the CA (only during cutscenes, zombie bites, etc). there is still no known fix.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Life is Strange

16213820247_88867fd074_o.jpg

16213495809_abf730a73e_o.jpg

Spazznid

Just finished Ep 1 of Life is Strange....

Awesome game with STUNNING art design. Perfect execution, these guys know their way around UE3.

-SD-

Banned
Chromatic Aberration is all kinds of bad. It's like looking at slightly toned down stereoscopic 3D effect but without the glasses. It's horrible in the pic LuminatX posted.

I hate it so much that I won't buy a game if I can't turn it off via in-game settings or by editing a config file. Same goes for film grain, motion blur, depth of field...

when you take fotos with a camera it's a sideeffect you usually don't want to occur. whats the point of having it in a game?

The whole point of options like these are that they're options. When asking what the point of having a subjectively good/bad option in a game is, you're basically asking "why do people like effects I don't". I understand your opinion and actually share it - I don't like CA and it actually gives me headaches - but if people want to use it, more power to them. Besides, it can actually provide a lot of realism in shots that are intended to look like they've been taken with a camera. I'm working on a series of "realistic" screenshots of ARMA 3 and CA is going to be important to get the shots looking right. Sometimes you don't want to take shots from the perspective of the player's character, but rather a detatched camera.

In many games though CA is not optional. At least not without modding it out.

I know, but that's irrelevant. The point is that, if a post-processing addition through, say, ReShade is added by someone to a screenshot, complaining about it doesn't make any sense. These things are subjective and to criticise someone's entirely subjective opinion won't lead anywhere.

15780518744_ec7d3768fa_o.png

15782946733_accd73b3fb_o.png

I hope I'm not bothering anybody with what are technically not "real" game shots, I just like having complete control over everything.
Post processing ftw.

Arcipello

I hope I'm not bothering anybody with what are technically not "real" game shots, I just like having complete control over everything.
Post processing ftw.

lovely shots, but is there anyway to download and explore that subway scene without having the full UE4 engine i.e the same way that you can with the paris apartment?

lovely shots, but is there anyway to download and explore that subway scene without having the full UE4 engine i.e the same way that you can with the paris apartment?
Yes. I (or somebody else, if they want) can compile a build for you.

It'll be a few hours though, as I'm currently busy.

Spazznid

I want to post some Life is Strange shots, but there's no free cam and otherwise it'd just be shots that you'd see in normal play. While that looks great, I'd rather take some original shots with that game. It's begging for alternate framing.

Spazznid

16378132256_e239f107ea_o.jpg

16403188402_2a6690a09f_o.jpg

In relation to the arguements over CA, I wholly approve of its use in this game. A game about metaphorical viewfinders, when you rewind time, they use a lot of effects that are in film developement, and when you try to rewind too much, the screen's "film" gets those white burn marks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For the people who hate CA in games, I've kind of found a way to almost disable/make it way less noticable in any game as long as the game works with ReShade. (Might also work with Boulotaur's SweetFX but haven't tried).

So today I launched UE4 Paris techdemo and the CA instantly struck me. I've also been watching my brother play Dying Light and the CA in that one is just horrible.

The key to all this is CA itself in ReShade. It's pretty simple. I launched UE4 Paris with ReShade and as many of the values in ReShade also work as negative ones, I decided to try my luck. Enabled CA through ReShade and turned it negative like this:

//CHROMATICABBERATION
#define ChromaticAmount -0.005
#define LensSize 0.50
#define LensDistortion 0.00
#define LensDistortionCubic 0.00

And
giphy.gif

Chromatic Aberration was almost not visible anymore.
I tried to take screens of this in UE4 Paris but I just get a black screenshot when I try to...
So I moved on to AC: Unity Dead Kings DLC which also has a terrible amount of CA.
In Unity I had to use positive values to get rid of CA. Negative values just made it stronger. I also had to tweak "#define LensSize" because some CA amounts make the image a bit distorted in the border of your monitor...

Here's a good comparison I took from Unity Dead Kings DLC...
Mouse on image is with this fix and off image is without.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/112148

Only downside to this is that although your CA is gone it adds CA to your HUD. But it's not a bad tradeoff for a much cleaner image. I don't recommend using this for a game that uses CA only occasionally since this would remove CA at the times it's being used by the game engine but would also add CA to every other scene when CA is not used by the engine.

Damn, you know I had this idea recently as a method of removing CA but I didn't realize it would actually work so well. Great job on implementing it dude, that cancels it out basically perfectly.

Damn, you know I had this idea recently as a method of removing CA but I didn't realize it would actually work so well. Great job on implementing it dude, that cancels it out basically perfectly.

Thanks!
Yep, after I noticed it worked I just stared at the result in UE4 for a while and had to think it through. I couldn't believe it would be as simple as just "reversing" the CA. I was like a kid in a candy store when I tried this method in Unity: Dead Kings and CA was gone :)

Top Bottom