• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

16255959975_31028fb829_o.png

16068432248_37a0028797_o.png

Getting about 100 fps at 4K, I like the Starbreeze engine. It's a shame they ditched it for UE3.

Well, technically he's right. Depth of field doesn't work in Unity, nor in most games because ReShade, most of the time, can't extract the depth buffer from the engine, and depth of field (as well as SSAO) depends on the depth buffer to work. The tilt shift effect doesn't depend on the depth buffer because it's simply blurring overlayed over the final buffer. It's essentially the same as using the tilt shift function in Photoshop - you're just overlaying an effect over an image.

Yeah, the devs really could have put a little more effort on those branches. Nice shot still!
Playing around with tilt-shift in Unity can give a taste of how having DoF might look in the game.

16257423765_96487a33fc_o.jpg

16231522316_1bf7afbac6_o.jpg

How did you expand the focal point of the titlt shift effect? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get anything but a thin strip in focus, and probably 90% of the rest of the image is blurred D:

15635146424_6751f5b082_o.jpg

16070185260_fab8afe1ed_o.jpg

Honestly, it's pretty embarrassing to see someone say that with a straight face... xD you don't think the devs (especially small, lower-budget devs) have other things to worry about than branches?

Well, it's not about effort. If you've ever worked on a game or total conversion mod you'll know that it's never about effort (unless you're still learning), but rather about time and performance constraints. No point in having high poly 3D branches when only 0.5% or less of people will notice and even a smaller percentage will actually care. Makes sense to save on draw cycles and use the extra performance leeway to add, say, more polys to player armour.

Anyway...

16258260825_e1292fca72_o.jpg

16070726508_c2f52b2b41_o.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, it's not about effort. If you've ever worked on a game or total conversion mod you'll know that it's never about effort (unless you're still learning), but rather about time and performance constraints. No point in having high poly 3D branches when only 0.5% or less of people will notice and even a smaller percentage will actually care. Makes sense to save on draw cycles and use the extra performance leeway to add, say, more polys to player armour.
Well yes, that's my point. I think we're in agreement, but somehow I'm feeling that you were responding to me rather than the post I quoted? Anyway, great AC shots, very impressive. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I think it's fair to say that ReShade is ground-breaking. It's a shame most of the more complex shaders don't work with Unity, but you can still do interesting things with the bloom, DPX and a few more bits and pieces.

I'd like to try messing around with it a bit. How difficult do you think it would be to get it up and running for someone who has never messed around with SweetFX or other injectors before. Any easy-to-follow guides?

I'd like to try messing around with it a bit. How difficult do you think it would be to get it up and running for someone who has never messed around with SweetFX or other injectors before. Any easy-to-follow guides?

It's simple. Download the ReShade + SweetFX 2.0 setup file from the reshade.me site, extract everything onto your desktop, run the setup file and you're done! You can then download this for all the shaders: http://reshade.me/forum/shaders-presentation/57-master-effect-unofficial-fixes. Simply drop the ReShade.fx file into the folder where your game's exe is (should also contain the reshade/sweetfx 2.0 files if you've installed them previously) and edit it in Notepad.

It's currently not completely reliable at the moment, as some of the shaders won't work due to ReShade not being able to get the depth buffer in most games, but otherwise it can change the mood of games quite a lot. Impact on performance is pretty damn good and it doesn't seem to cause any stability issues. Have fun!

Some more shots from Unity - I feel like they should be accompanied by a "disregard poor LoD" disclaimer. :p Sorry guys, but I just cannot play the game with Ultra textures, so the LoD is worse than usual...

16071277280_97d71db421_o.jpg

16071277000_79665c290b_o.jpg

16066736438_667839d867_o.jpg

16064875897_2e72424973_o.jpg

The game's sun glare is a little over the top.

How did you expand the focal point of the titlt shift effect? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get anything but a thin strip in focus, and probably 90% of the rest of the image is blurred D:

You can't. At least not with the current shader that we have.

Spazznid

All that PC info ruining otherwise ok shots. Also, I can't click them because links. Also, because it's late and I just got back from work, and I'm in the ass kind of mood.

CLICK ME!
jknfev.jpg

Remember Me - 8K. NeoGAF resizes images to fit the screen, so as long as it's a relatively small filesize, nobody will mind posts with raw images.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Remember Me - 8K. NeoGAF resizes images to fit the screen, so as long as it's a relatively small filesize, nobody will mind posts with raw images.

Compression artifacts are worse than larger filesizes. If I had to pick between your method of posting there and the way literally everyone else does it in this thread, I would go with the way everyone else does it in this thread.

Uploaded to Dropbox. You'll want to turn the game's bloom off and keep the brightness at default. The movie bars are enabled in the file I've uploaded, so you might want to turn that off unless it's your thing.
The DoF bogs the performance a bit and is set to focus around where Isaac is on the screen. I think it works pretty great with tight level design.

Thank you so much!

16073428808_2ef244e436_o.jpg

16075100417_de9a921b6e_o.jpg

Spazznid

Compression artifacts are worse than larger filesizes. If I had to pick between your method of posting there and the way literally everyone else does it in this thread, I would go with the way everyone else does it in this thread.

I post the same way everyone else does in this thread so I don't really get where you're coming from... I was merely proving a point with one post, showing that you can post huge images here as long as they don't take too much space, and 1080p shots don't generally take much space. Also, uncompressed screenshots don't have compression artifacts. the 8K screenshot I posted was a 3-ish MB JPEG at max quality. No artifacts to be seen by the naked eye. I prefer posting downsampled shots at 1080p, because it's pretty much a standard size/ratio that most people can settle with. However, a few of us here will gladly provide the source shots at their taken resolutions if requested. But even then, thumbnails and link-images aren't very well loved in this thread. I, among many others prefer to be able to click and drag an image to a new window to view it in it's full size.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I post the same way everyone else does in this thread so I don't really get where you're coming from... I was merely proving a point with one post, showing that you can post huge images here as long as they don't take too much space, and 1080p shots don't generally take much space. Also, uncompressed screenshots don't have compression artifacts. the 8K screenshot I posted was a 3-ish MB JPEG at max quality. No artifacts to be seen by the naked eye. I prefer posting downsampled shots at 1080p, because it's pretty much a standard size/ratio that most people can settle with. However, a few of us here will gladly provide the source shots at their taken resolutions if requested. But even then, thumbnails and link-images aren't very well loved in this thread. I, among many others prefer to be able to click and drag an image to a new window to view it in it's full size.
I was referring to your 8k example and there are super obvious artifacts in the image (or I guess in the textures that take up large portions of the screenshot), yes to the naked eye. I would prefer that method of posting not to be encouraged.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's simple. Download the ReShade + SweetFX 2.0 setup file from the reshade.me site, extract everything onto your desktop, run the setup file and you're done! You can then download this for all the shaders: http://reshade.me/forum/shaders-presentation/57-master-effect-unofficial-fixes. Simply drop the ReShade.fx file into the folder where your game's exe is (should also contain the reshade/sweetfx 2.0 files if you've installed them previously) and edit it in Notepad.

It's currently not completely reliable at the moment, as some of the shaders won't work due to ReShade not being able to get the depth buffer in most games, but otherwise it can change the mood of games quite a lot. Impact on performance is pretty damn good and it doesn't seem to cause any stability issues. Have fun!

Some more shots from Unity - I feel like they should be accompanied by a "disregard poor LoD" disclaimer. :p Sorry guys, but I just cannot play the game with Ultra textures, so the LoD is worse than usual...

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom