• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup | July 7-26 2017 | OT | [Insert pun]

Meier

I was just going to complain about how Zardes had let the ball turn around so easily on the previous possession. Didn't pressure the ball assuming the other US player would and then they countered instantly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who increased their stock?

Just Morris and Morrow maybe?

Agudelo held even I suppose

Morris for sure.

Agudelo didn't do much of anything, I feel like he dropped.

Acosta probably went back to where he was before Panama.

Guzan lost the starting job for sure to Howard today.

Zardes maybe went up a bit despite not having the cleanest game. In the first half he was the most dangerous guy in the attack. He definitely needs improvement though.

Everyone else dropped or held even.

You can swap 6 players. We need about 8-9. I doubt Arena will do much of anything though.

Six should be enough to solidify the team. Bring in Altidore, Bradley, Pulisic, Nagbe, Yedlin, and maybe another CB to help Omar hold it down. The improvement in the midfield alone will help a lot of the team's issues.

Bradley, Pulisic, and Nagbe would go a long way towards solidifying the midfield and would allow the US to do more with it's possession.

Mory Dunz

Six should be enough to solidify the team. Bring in Altidore, Bradley, Pulisic, Nagbe, Yedlin, and maybe another CB to help Omar hold it down. The improvement in the midfield alone will help a lot of the team's issues.

Bradley, Pulisic, and Nagbe would go a long way towards solidifying the midfield and would allow the US to do more with it's possession.

This man know.

I know it's just the Gold Cup, but I will be livid if we don't win.

So bring in some good players please.

not livid but still

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This man know.

I know it's just the Gold Cup, but I will be livid if we don't win.

So bring in some good players please.

not livid but still

Yea, so long as the US makes it out of the group and uses their six changes to solidify the midfield and add some more danger to the attack there's no reason they shouldn't win.

That said, you could say the same about Mexico.

EDIT: I want Miazga to get some minutes in the next match. I think he could definitely help fix the issues in the backline. The guy is very talented and good at what he does. The guy had ever striker in MLS in his back-pocket in his first year as a starter for NYRB. I really want to see what he can do on the international stage.

Icolin

Banned
Yea, so long as the US makes it out of the group and uses their six changes to solidify the midfield and add some more danger to the attack there's no reason they shouldn't win.

That said, you could say the same about Mexico.

EDIT: I want Miazga to get some minutes in the next match. I think he could definitely help fix the issues in the backline. The guy is very talented and good at what he does. The guy had ever striker in MLS in his back-pocket in his first year as a starter for NYRB. I really want to see what he can do on the international stage.

Yeah, I'm eager to see what Miazga can do internationally as well, although in those Olympic qualifying playoffs against Colombia for the U-23s, he looked poor. There were a lot of times where he was bailed out by Acosta and Parker.

CONCACAF has to be rooting for draws today.

If El Salvador wins (3 or less) and Honduras gets the forfeit win Honduras would leapfrog the other 3rd place teams that all would have won a game, scored at least 2 goals, and only lost to the US or Mexico.

EDIT - They would leapfrog Mexico as well if they lose.

jabuseika

That was the saddest attempt at football I have seen so far.

The only winners of this gold cup are the Mexico/USA A- teams.

zroid

Banned
sounds like I made the right decision in watching a movie instead of that match

edit: it was not batman v superman fyi

Blue Lou

CONCACAF statement

CONCACAF Gold Cup Disciplinary Committee Issues Decision in French Guiana Player Eligibility Case

Miami (Thursday, July 13, 2017) - The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) announced this evening the decisions taken by the Gold Cup Disciplinary Committee, in the case regarding French Guiana fielding an ineligible player in its July 11 CONCACAF Gold Cup match against Honduras.

As a consequence of fielding Florent Malouda, who was confirmed by the Disciplinary Committee to be ineligible to play in the Gold Cup 2017 according to the applicable regulations, the Disciplinary Committee has levied sanctions and fines against the French Guiana Football League (LGF) and has suspended the player ruled ineligible.

Specifically, the Disciplinary Committee has imposed the following sanctions and fines, which took immediate effect:
The French Guiana national team is ruled to forfeit its Gold Cup match played against Honduras on July 11, 2017, and the official result is ruled a 3-0 victory for Honduras,

The French Guiana Football League is fined an undisclosed amount, and

Florent Malouda has been suspended for two official matches, during which he will serve a concurrent stadium ban.
Group A play at CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017 resumes tomorrow at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. French Guiana will face Costa Rica, while Honduras takes on Canada to close out group play.

The Mexico v. Jamaica game was brutal to watch.

After watching the Copa Centinario last year, this Gold Cup has been a HUGE letdown so far. It's basically the embodiment of the stereotypes euro-snobs have for CONCACAF.

As others have already pointed out, the US B-squad has also been a disappointment. I don't really see anyone really advancing to the Varsity team after the last two performances. Morris and Zardes looked decent against tiny Martinique, but neither of those two made a good impression against Panama. If they can't have a good game against Panama, then they have no business getting serious minutes in the remaining WC qualifying.

The empty stadiums have also been an embarrassment. Granted I know Martinique v. Nicaragua won't exactly sell-out football stadiums in America, but they need to be a little smarter and put the low-profile games in smaller soccer specific stadiums and ideally near a city with a large community of people that have ties to one of the teams. I also think they did a poor job of promoting the Gold Cup in the selected cities. I live in the San Diego area and I had no idea that Mexico and Jamaica would be playing in Qualcomm last weekend.

Anyway, I hope things turn-around in the quarterfinals. We got spoiled from last summer.

Icolin

Banned
Heading down to watch the Canada game at a bar, so I won't be able to post my obligatory "DAVIES IS THE GOAT" ITT. Go Canada!

zroid

Banned
Keeping Davies out of the 11 seems wise. If he were playing the full 90 I think it's likely that the Hondurans would literally murder him

zroid

Banned
I thought Canada was attacking well for, like, the first 30 minutes of the game. And since then it's been... poor.

At this stage I'll be glad to take the 1 point if we can get it.

Icolin

Banned
Larin is still with Orlando.

And Will Johnson is too. And then there's also Atiba Hutchinson who's absent.

While we were very nervy and lucky at times, some of the buildup play tonight was brilliant. I don't recall ever seeing a Canadian men's national team creating and playing so well from the run of play. Standouts for me were Adekugbe, Cavallini, Petrasso, and De Jong. Osorio was pretty solid coming off the bench as well.

zroid

Banned
And Will Johnson is too. And then there's also Atiba Hutchinson who's absent.

While we were very nervy and lucky at times, some of the buildup play tonight was brilliant. I don't recall ever seeing a Canadian men's national team creating and playing so well from the run of play. Standouts for me were Adekugbe, Cavallini, Petrasso, and De Jong. Osorio was pretty solid coming off the bench as well.

Agreed about the buildup play, although there was a long stretch in the middle of the match where it didn't seem like they could generate much. Still, you hardly expect a Canadian side to execute any kind of attack. It will be great to see how this current group of players evolves under Zambrano.

Here's #USA's starting XI: Hamid; Zusi, Miazga, Besler, Villafaña; McCarty; Bedoya, Corona, Rowe, Pontius; Dwyer

Panama up 2-0 on Martinique in the 2nd half. US has to match margin of victory to top the group.

Top Bottom