• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup | July 7-26 2017 | OT | [Insert pun]

ZZMitch

USMNT makes Gold Cup changes. IN- Howard, J. Gonzalez, Nagbe, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore. OUT-Dwyer, Rowe, Roldan, Johnson, Guzan, Bedoya

Think Rowe should have been kept on.. Dwyer too maybe but Jozy fits a similar roll so makes more sense I suppose.

F34R

I'll be honest. While I wanted more seasoned players in the line-up, I don't think it's right to replace players that were involved in the group stage.

I think you go with what you initially came with and let the team grow from that.

Needed some help on the defensive side, I guess Bradley can fill that role to an extent. Swapping 2 keepers seems like an odd move but whatever.

I'll be honest. While I wanted more seasoned players in the line-up, I don't think it's right to replace players that were involved in the group stage.

I think you go with what you initially came with and let the team grow from that.

Agreed. Don't know why this is allowed tbh.

F34R

I would voice my opinion if I were on the team and then getting replaced after being a part of getting the team through the group stage.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to play for someone that just throws people around like that.

zroid

Banned
I do agree that it's kind of shitty, but at the same time, the lesser players are being given an opportunity in the group stage that they normally wouldn't get outside of friendlies. It's a chance for them to move up in the depth chart too.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
USMNT makes Gold Cup changes. IN- Howard, J. Gonzalez, Nagbe, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore. OUT-Dwyer, Rowe, Roldan, Johnson, Guzan, Bedoya

Think Rowe should have been kept on.. Dwyer too maybe but Jozy fits a similar roll so makes more sense I suppose.

There's a lot of pressure on these guys, to carry the momentum of how the other guys played in the group stage.

Arena will be on the hot seat if they fuck around and lose the first game out.

I really don't like not playing the guys who got you there. Imagine how shitty they must feel.

There's a lot of pressure on these guys, to carry the momentum of how the other guys played in the group stage.

Arena will be on the hot seat if they fuck around and lose the first game out.

I really don't like not playing the guys who got you there. Imagine how shitty they must feel.
I imagine these guys knew the deal. This was an extended audition for some of them. You only get so many international competitions to play in that aren't World Cup finals/qualifiers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would voice my opinion if I were on the team and then getting replaced after being a part of getting the team through the group stage.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to play for someone that just throws people around like that.

For these guys they're going back to teams that have huge games coming up that could decide play-off spots or in Dwyer's case whether or not they go to the Open Cup final.

I mean it's shitty, but it's also letting them avoid making a really shitty choice.

The players knew the deal. Little surprised about the 2 goalkeepers. Think Guzan is on the shit list.

It was a "special" rule added for the team that played in the Confed Cup. Then it was extended to all teams. I think of it as the please-bring-some-name-players-so-we-can-squeeze-some-more-blood-from-this-ill-timed-tournament rule.

Wed:
Costa Rica v Panama
US v El Salvador

Thurs:
Mexico v Honduras
Jamaica v Canada

I am rooting for Honduras to 0-0 penalty their way to the final.

Hopefully the know well documented pattern with rotOSOrio will repeat, Honduras will score 5 or 6 against us and then we can finally get this farce end and bring someone with an actual plan, other than "this worked once on FIFA, lol".

Knockout round details:
(All times are Eastern)

Wednesday in Philadelphia

Costa Rica vs. Panama, 6 p.m. (FS1, UniMas)

United States vs. El Salvador, 9 p.m. (FS1, UniMas)

Thursday in Glendale, Ariz.

Jamaica vs. Canada, 7:30 p.m. (FS1, Univision)

Mexico vs. Honduras, 10:30 p.m. (FS1, Univision)

The Philadelphia winners will meet in Saturday’s semifinal in Arlington, Tex. The Glendale winners will play Sunday in Pasadena, Calif. The final is next Wednesday at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.

>> If the quarterfinals and semifinals are tied after 90 minutes, the match will proceed directly to penalty kicks. The final will, if necessary, utilize 30 minutes of extra time before turning to penalties. Teams are afforded one additional sub during extra time.

>> The United States boasts a 16-match unbeaten streak against El Salvador since 1993 (13-0-3). Four years ago, the Americans rolled to a 5-1 victory in a Gold Cup quarterfinal in Baltimore.

>> As you know by now, the United States made the maximum six roster changes after group play. Meantime, Canada added Orlando City forward Cyle Larin, whose legal problems sidetracked him for a while. He replaces Toronto FC’s Raheem Edwards.

Costa Rica made four moves:

Jose Leiton (Herediano), Jhamir Ordain (Herediano), Jimmy Marin (Herediano) and Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps) are in. Joel Campbell (Arsenal FC), Christian Gamboa (Celtic), Bryan Oviedo (Sunderland) and Johan Venegas (Minnesota United) are out.

Campbell suffered a knee injury and will miss up to six months, ruling him out of the remaining World Cup qualifiers. Venegas was injured in the first half of the group opener vs. Honduras and replaced by Campbell, who went down in the first half of the second match vs. Canada.

Blue Lou

The following replacements have been submitted by the Participating Member Associations and approved by CONCACAF:

CANADA
OUT: Raheem Edwards (Toronto FC, CAN)
IN: Cyle Larin (Orlando City SC, USA)

COSTA RICA
OUT: Joel Campbell (Arsenal FC, ENG)
Christian Gamboa (Celtic FC, SCO)
Bryan Oviedo (Sunderland AFC, ENG)
Johan Venegas (Minnesota United FC, USA)
IN: Jose Leiton (CS Herediano, CRC)
Jhamir Ordain (CS Herediano, CRC)
Jimmy Marín (CS Herediano, CRC)
Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps FC, CAN)

HONDURAS
OUT: Antony Lozano (FC Barcelona B, ESP)
Rony Martinez (Baoding Yingli Yitong FC HON)
IN: Michaell Chirinos (CD Olimpia, HON)
Angel Tejeda (Real CD España, HON)

UNITED STATES
OUT: Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union, USA)
Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City, USA)
Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC, USA)
Sean Johnson (New York City FC, USA)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC, USA)
Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution, USA)
IN: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC, CAN)
Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN)
Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC, USA)
Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas, USA)
Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids, USA)
Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers, USA)

El Salvador, Jamaica and Mexico changes to come.

The quarterfinals kick off tonight in a few hours. I'm curious who Arena runs out for the US this round. On one hand, El Salvador will be the easiest opponent (on paper) that they'll potentially face, and squad rotation will be necessary with potentially four games in the next 11-12 days. On the other hand, they didn't call in the big guns just to have them sit on the bench for a couple of weeks. Probably a balanced approach is best and maybe save the legs of some of the older guys like Dempsey if you're in a position to do so.

Icolin

Banned
Costa Rica vs Panama starting XIs:

DFID0BjUQAAr_n3.jpg

PSA: Camping World Truck Series: Eldora 150, Qualifying is running late on FS1. Coverage of Costa Rica vs Panama will start when that ends.

At least the Quakes get Godoy back now. Too bad for him- he was having a very good tournament so far.

US lineup looks fine. Lots of rotation

I just saw that USA brought some pretty good reinforcements.

While Mexico didn't. Don't know who we would've brought honestly, we've lose a lot of people due to injury. Plus others are in Europe and what not.

Top Bottom