• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 - Rough year for Nintendo?

Athena~

Banned
Bunch of bad news for Nintendo already and this is only January:

- Will not meet 20m sales target, stocks likely to drop

- Metroid Prime 4 started from scratch and only started development recently, when it’s supposed to come out this year

- No news whatsoever for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Supposed to be out last year

- No Direct this month which was long overdue. Even in January last year there was a Direct and hype early and we all know last year lineup was poor. This year doesn’t look any better and absolutely barebone first half again

- MK11 Switch version delayed in Europe. Song of Memories, WWE 2k19 etc. Switch versions cancelled. Third party relationship continued to be awful

- Nintendo’s head of partner management joins Microsoft. Keep losing people left and right

- Nintendo president hints company may stop making games console in the future in a recent interview

Can this year get even worse for Nintendo fans?? We still have 11 months to find out!

Klayzer

- Metroid Prime 4 started from scratch and only started development recently, when it’s supposed to come out this year

- No news whatsoever for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Supposed to be out last year

- No Direct this month which was long overdue. Even in January last year there was a Direct and hype early and we all know last year lineup was poor. This year doesn’t look any better and absolutely barebone first half again

- MK11 Switch version delayed in Europe. Song of Memories, WWE 2k19 etc. Switch versions cancelled. Third party relationship continued to be awful

- Nintendo’s head of partner management joins Microsoft. Keep losing people left and right

- Nintendo president hints company may stop making games console in the future in a recent interview

Can this year get even worse for Nintendo fans?? We still have 11 months to find out!
Not all bad news. Smash DLC, MUA3, Pokemon Gen 8, and a few other surprises I'm sure. But yes not a great start for the year news wise.

TLZ

Banned
I just want Yoshi to come out, a new Luigi's Mansion and surprise announcement of Mario Galaxy 1&2 HD.

Sauce? Where was it said Metroid was supposed to come out this year? Not heard that anywhere.

Most of this sounds like tales from your ass.

wipeout364

Is that for real about not making a game console? I thought Switch was doing pretty well.

The third party thing is expected that’s just Nintendo, they make arrogant Sony at its worst look like the nicest guys in the world. I can’t imagine anybody is really surprised at the level of support.

1) That just speculation on your part. And not confirmed in the slighest.
2) Delays Happen. Would you rather have the product come out and be subpar?
3) WWE 2K19 wasnt cancelled. It wasnt even announced to begin with. And judging on last year's version, nothing of value was lost
4) One person lost =/= keep losing people left and right

This whole narrative is such a huge stretch.

DonF

I have nothing firm to look forward to on the switch, just promises. Yes, it's not looking good. I got the switch for first party. Zelda, Mario were ok, Metroid super delayed, no news about bayo 3, fire emblem or animal crossing. I don't care for other games.

HotPocket69

Banned
Shit console. Worth it for Zelda and nothing else.

Nintendo has been pulling the same crap for years. Diehard Nintendo fans will never admit it though. They’ll still buy SMB3 for the eighth time.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
There has been some disappointing news, and the lack of information about this year's line-up is a bit frustrating, but otherwise it's still way too early to call. It's not like Sony or MS have communicated much this month either.

MDSLKTR

Im completly clueless as to why it keeps selling as much as it does... I guess because I'm not into portable gaming. Would have bought one for metroid but that's about it tbh

Jubenhimer

MK11 Switch version delayed in Europe. Song of Memories, WWE 2k19 etc. Switch versions cancelled. Third party relationship continued to be awfu
The third party thing is expected that’s just Nintendo,

Sorry, but this is false. The Switch has the best third party support Nintendo's had in years. And is only getting better each year. Just because it's not getting every game in existence doesn't change that.

they make arrogant Sony at its worst look like the nicest guys in the world. I can’t imagine anybody is really surprised at the level of support.

This is also BS as well. Nintendo today is not the Nintendo of the N64 era. Why anybody still thinks they treat third parties like crap is a mystery, especially with the Support the Switch is getting.

Anyway OP, A lot of what you said feels reactionary and plain false. I wouldn't worry about 2019. We already have Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and Pokemon gen 8 confirmed, and it's only January.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord I thought Killer751 returning would cause an increase of anti-Nintendo shitposting but it came early.

wipeout364

I’ve owned every Nintendo system released in North America and what exactly is wrong with what I said. The only time I remember some kickass third party support was Capcom on the GameCube.

Indie games are great but they are also the same games released everywhere else.

There must be something fundamentally wrong with Nintendo’s relationship with third parties and I’ve heard the same song and dance from Nintendo since the N64 20 years ago. My point is why does anyone care at this point and who actually believed it would be different on the switch?

The Switch is what it is; a Nintendo console with Nintendo games and lackluster third party support, same as the last 4 systems.

ExpandKong

Banned
I don’t think FE was ever expected to come out last year dawg. I don’t follow the gaming news as closely as I used to but I’m pretty sure 2019 at the earliest was always the plan.

The Metroid delay sucks but it’s good that it’s back in-house (as in-house as it can get without being developed in Japan anyway, and thinking back on Other M this is probably better). Though now I’m wondering if FE is gonna be pushed back to the end of this year to cover for a holiday release spot that Prime 4 formerly held.

The rest of your post...meh.

Jubenhimer

I’ve owned every Nintendo system released in North America and what exactly is wrong with what I said. The only time I remember some kickass third party support was Capcom on the GameCube.

Indie games are great but they are also the same games released everywhere else.

There must be something fundamentally wrong with Nintendo’s relationship with third parties and I’ve heard the same song and dance from Nintendo since the N64 20 years ago. My point is why does anyone care at this point and who actually believed it would be different on the switch?

The Switch is what it is; a Nintendo console with Nintendo games and lackluster third party support, same as the last 4 systems.

But this is the best support Nintendo has had since the DS. Just look at 2018. We had Fortnite, Octopath Traveler, Dark Souls, BlazBlue Cross Tag, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Starlink, Diablo III, Wolfenstien II, Mega Man 11, Crash N' Sane Trilogy, Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Civ VI. And this year so far, we have Travis Strikes Again, Tales of Vespiria Remastered, MK 11, Daemon X Machina, Ninjala, Yokai Watch 4, Darksiders Warmastered, Dragon's Dogma, all the PS-era Final Fantasies, and a bunch of unannounced stuff.

There's nothing wrong with Nintendo's third party relations, the Switch is getting as much as it can and only growing. I don't see how anybody can look at this list and still conclude that third party support is poor. If you don't care about portability, maybe I can see it.

As we learned from Breath of the Wild Nintendo will delay for as long as needed to make a quality game, public opinion be damned. I'm not too worried so far I'm most excited for Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem (whenever that comes out) and the new Yoshi game actually caught my eye.

The real travesty and a missed opportunity Nintendo really needs to work on is the online service, the new releases are staggered at best, they have a huge backlog of amazing first party games waiting to be unleashed (across multiple generations) and theres no movement, no communication while we wait for updates, new announcements or a Direct.

So far I'm not seeing the pay off of them not releasing an N64 Classic vs. working on the online service. As a die hard Nintendo guy I'll admit at this point I am disappointed with the online service in specific the retro game lineup, it shouldnt be this complicated. The Wii Shop Channel flipped me better shit in 2008 :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Z..

Shit console. Worth it for Zelda and nothing else.

Nintendo has been pulling the same crap for years. Diehard Nintendo fans will never admit it though. They’ll still buy SMB3 for the eighth time.

I'm far from a Nintedo diehard (Sega kid, my main platform is PC, PS4 and Switch only for exclusives) and I honestly have no idea what you're on about. All of their systems after the SNES mostly stopped being relevant as far as third party devs are concerned but their lineup of first party games hasn't faltered one single time. Switch library is loaded with great games and as usual their big releases are getting the universal recognition and respect they deserve. I'll never understand the anti Nintendo crowd, they make such a diverse range of different and mostly great games there's always bound to be something you'll enjoy unless you're going out of their way to dislike them on principle.

Jubenhimer

I'm far from a Nintedo diehard (Sega kid, my main platform is PC, PS4 and Switch only for exclusives) and I honestly have no idea what you're on about. All of their systems after the SNES mostly stopped being relevant as far as third party devs are concerned but their lineup of first party games hasn't faltered one single time. Switch library is loaded with great games and as usual their big releases are getting the universal recognition and respect they deserve. I'll never understand the anti Nintendo crowd, they make such a diverse range of different and mostly great games there's always bound to be something you'll enjoy unless you're going out of their way to dislike them on principle.

Not to mention, as I said earlier, that the Switch has the best third party support Nintendo has had in years. It's not identical to the PS4, but it's perfectly good for the device it is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll never understand the anti Nintendo crowd, they make such a diverse range of different and mostly great games there's always bound to be something you'll enjoy unless you're going out of their way to dislike them on principle.
Imagine what the game library would be if they had Nintendo first party games AND killer third party games. MS, Sony and PC get them. Why can't Nintendo? Game makers are so eager to port games to maximize sales, but still the resistance. Why?

Nintendo games sell great and get great scores, but it's the same core of Mario, Zelda, MK, SSMB since N64 days.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not to mention, as I said earlier, that the Switch has the best third party support Nintendo has had in years. It's not identical to the PS4, but it's perfectly good for the device it is.
It's better than recent gens, but compare the third party games from key studios like Activision, EA, UBI, Rockstar, Konami etc..... and Switch has hardly any of them.

Jubenhimer

It's better than recent gens, but compare the third party games from key studios like Activision, EA, UBI, Rockstar, Konami etc..... and Switch has hardly any of them.

Ubisoft, Take-Two, and Activision are slowly coming around. Nobody cares about Konami anymore, but even they're bringing a few games. EA isn't going to jump in until the Switch's sales force their hand, which it may very well.

Switch has Ubisoft, Take-Two, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, THQ Nordic, even Bethesda giving it solid support for example. That will only grow in 2019, on top of all of the indie developers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nintendo is doomed.
Another day on neogaf.

Brb playing doom / diablo 3 / skyrim on a fucking handheld

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm not really up to date with Nintendo news but I haven't heard anything big from them since Zelda Breath of The Wild

I hope they can recover from this and continue to produce top game and hardware

I said both games and hardware because it's very important for them to step up their consoles capabilities

Z..

Imagine what the game library would be if they had Nintendo first party games AND killer third party games. MS, Sony and PC get them. Why can't Nintendo? Game makers are so eager to port games to maximize sales, but still the resistance. Why?

Nintendo games sell great and get great scores, but it's the same core of Mario, Zelda, MK, SSMB since N64 days.

You make it sound like they're shooing away the third parties on purpose or something... I suppose part of it comes down to them still havint to pay the price for being complete assholes back when they were on top during gen 3/4 and treating devs and publishers like shit. Arrogance is nasty.

As for the games always being the same that's a false narrative. The usually only release one major Zelda/Mario(2d & 3D)/whatever title per console and there's always plenty of other IPs to satisfy almost any kind of crave. I mean, look at the WiiU... a complete failure by most metrics but a ridiculously robust exclusive library filled with absolute bangers! I mean, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, 3D World, Bayonetta 2, BotW, Splatoon, Mario Maker and MK8 are all borderline perfect and represent all time peaks in their respective genres! And that's just adressing the absolute cream of the crop the system produced, there's plenty of other fantastic titles available for it! All this on a mostly dead system. Even at their absolute worst, Nintendo never disappoints as far as software is concerned!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said both games and hardware because it's very important for them to step up their consoles capabilities
If Nintendo wants more third party games, they need to step up system power.

When Wii U launched, the system was comparable to 360/PS3. And look what happened. Wii U got all the core third party games at launch along side the 360/PS3. Unfortunately, Wii U gamers didn't buy them and only focused on first party games even though the Black Ops 2, Mass Effect, FIFA and Batman were just as good.

However, as long as Nintendo gear sells and first party game sell, they will never bother sapping profits into bolder hardware or online functionality. Not worth the hassle and hardware costs of going beefier to get other devs to join in.

They probably look at it as being risk adverse. As well as monopolizing software sales. There's only so much games people will buy. If all the Call of Dutys, GTA, EA Sports and such came to Nintendo systems, fewer copies of Mario and Zelda will be sold.

Chastten

Banned
And this is why you buy consoles somewhat later in their lifespan. I just bought mine last october and I have a huge backlog to tackle.

That being said, I don´t fully agree with the OP either. The delay of Metroid sucks but everything else isn´t really relevant to me as consumer or as a gamer. This year I´ll have Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Luigi´s Mansion and hopefully Bayonetta 3 to play, which combined will take up more time then I actually have. (seriously, where do people get the time from to play a new game every week or so?)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You make it sound like they're shooing away the third parties on purpose or something... I suppose part of it comes down to them still havint to pay the price for being complete assholes back when they were on top during gen 3/4 and treating devs and publishers like shit. Arrogance is nasty.

As for the games always being the same that's a false narrative. The usually only release one major Zelda/Mario(2d & 3D)/whatever title per console and there's always plenty of other IPs to satisfy almost any kind of crave. I mean, look at the WiiU... a complete failure by most metrics but a ridiculously robust exclusive library filled with absolute bangers! I mean, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, 3D World, Bayonetta 2, BotW, Splatoon, Mario Maker and MK8 are all borderline perfect and represent all time peaks in their respective genres! And that's just adressing the absolute cream of the crop the system produced, there's plenty of other fantastic titles available for it! All this on a mostly dead system. Even at their absolute worst, Nintendo never disappoints as far as software is concerned!
I don't think too many publishers and their employees from 25 years ago care about Nintendo tactics back then. Most of the employees probably don't even work at the third party company anymore or got out of gaming. 25 years ago is a long time. Lots of game studios didn't even make games for consoles back then, especially any game studio that is PC focused.

To me, it's all about system power. But Nintendo systems lately are so underpowered, it doesn't seem like devs care about doing a port. And gamers don't seem to care anyway and focus on first party titles. Unlike MS and Sony who crave a full ecosystem of everything, Nintendo seems happy with it's first party gaming focus.

The Wii-U 2:

This time with ports AND sales.

Without being savage no doubt Nintendo will pull it together by April. It's like y'all have never experienced Nintendo drought before. Did you even OWN a Wii?

Jubenhimer

To me, it's all about system power. But Nintendo systems lately are so underpowered, it doesn't seem like devs care about doing a port. And gamers don't seem to care anyway and focus on first party titles. Unlike MS and Sony who crave a full ecosystem of everything, Nintendo seems happy with it's first party gaming focus.

I believe Nintendo wants a wide array of developers supporting the Switch. That said, they even admitted that not every game will come to their system for obvious reasons. They knew what the sacrifice was when they bowed out of the spec wars. The reality though is that unless its a AAA project, developers don't actually care about power for the most part. It's more about hardware archetecture and ease of porting. For most games, the Switch fits those two criterias well for developers. Which is why we see many indie games and lower end titles on the Switch.

I guess people should just accept that Nintendo will never be the number one premiere console anymore. The market has changed since then, and the gaming industry isn't as one-dimensional as some may like to think.

Without being savage no doubt Nintendo will pull it together by April. It's like y'all have never experienced Nintendo drought before. Did you even OWN a Wii?
What drought? This is nothing like the Wii U or late Wii days. There's good games releasing every month.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Delays happen

This whole narrative is such a huge stretch.
Delays happen? No man. They scrapped a game they gave to a dev that wanted nothing with it but made it available for preorder and then eventually when they got sick of people asking for said game they release this video.

Oh shit wrong video
Brb playing doom / diablo 3 / skyrim on a fucking handheld
Why are you playing old ass games on the switch while Bayonetta 3..er Metr...er SMTV is. Um...Pokemon Let's Go is out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattyp

Gold Member
As someone who had a Switch given to me for some work I did for free and only ever purchased one game for it and played for a few hours I’m completely baffled why it sells so many consoles in the U.S

Maybe I’ll turn it on when we get a proper Pokémon title which should of happened already.

At the end of the day, the reality for me is that I have a PS4 and a Switch. I am swimming ... no, drowning, in so many games that I can't even really keep up. I get an indie game on Switch almost every month. I am still playing Splatoon 2. Yoshi looks fun.

I am disappointed with the lineup a bit, but I honestly can't really be that upset. I'd rather I get more 10/10 legendary all time greats like BotW and Odyssey I guess. I am still finding plenty to play. I own several Switch games I haven't even really gone through yet.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
2019 has Yoshi, Fire Emblem and Luigi, so it is better than 2018 at least.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Along with Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Mario Odyssey, and Octopath Traveler, and Travis Strikes Again.
How many of those games came out this year though? The OP's title is 2019. Isn't Travis a port? 2019 is extremely anemic game wise for Switch only gamers. I think the only thing I'm getting is Pokemon this year.

Jubenhimer

How many of those games came out this year though? The OP's title is 2019. Isn't Travis a port? 2019 is extremely anemic game wise for Switch only gamers. I think the only thing I'm getting is Pokemon this year.
2019 is said to be a very big year for the Switch. With many games that haven't even been announced yet coming. Sure, the first three months are lacking, but that's par for the course with Nintendo, who typically never releases a big game in the first quarter.

dirthead

Banned

It was my understanding that this already happened. The Switch isn't a real next gen console. It's just a handheld that you can plug into a TV. The Switch is more of a successor to the 3DS than a real console.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's a new game.

1. We do have gameplay
2. In the very same trailer it said Spring 2019.

Terrible voice acting and Heroes graphics/re used assets. Christ. Apparently I have this pre ordered as well but nothing on an exact date so far. Hell the places you can pre order it from has it set on a release date of DEC 2019.

2019 is said to be a very big year for the Switch. With many games that haven't even been announced yet coming. Sure, the first three months are lacking, but that's par for the course with Nintendo, who typically never releases a big game in the first quarter.
Skeptic...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jubenhimer

Terrible voice acting and Heroes graphics/re used assets. Christ. Apparently I have this pre ordered as well but nothing on an exact date so far. Hell the places you can pre order it from has it set on a release date of DEC 2019.

Skeptic...

Why would you be skeptical about Nintendo having unannounced games for the year? Like we didn't even know about the full 2017 or 2018 lineup until those games were months from release. It's normal to assume this is just the beginning.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm skeptical because of E3. Because there is nothing I can pre order that comes out soon or even in this same year that I want.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why would you be skeptical about Nintendo having unannounced games for the year? Like we didn't even know about the full 2017 or 2018 lineup until those games were months from release. It's normal to assume this is just the beginning.
Last year, Nintendo managed to worsen the line up over the year...

Top Bottom