• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 - Rough year for Nintendo?

Fbh

With Fire Emblem and DemonXMachina it's already a more exciting year for me than 2018 where I only cared for Octopath and even that ended up disappointing (it's not bad, just not as good as I expected). If they also release Pokemon this year (which I'll believe when we have a trailer and a specific launch date) than it's pretty much in line with what I expect from my Nintendo consoles: 2-3 good exclusives every year

Last edited:
Nintendo’s earnings release just came out and Fire Emblem is reconfirmed for spring 2019.

So no delay. Stop pulling stuff out of your ass, OP.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Its all true, as a Nintendo fan my enjoyment is directly related to the company’s market share. I have dozens of games I play and love but without a direct how can I really enjoy any of them?

Since the stock is not doing as good as it could be, I will have a bad time playin Mega Man 11 tonight.

Sad but true
Well said. However you're not a true fan if you don't overreact and sell your system due to lack of news about them. Impatience is virtue!

Maguro

Is there plans for a new starfox coming to switch? Or at least a port of the WiiU one? I haven't played that and the Starfox 2 on the NES Classic wasn't enough to fill my stomach.

Gee guess what time it is

nintendoomed.gif

Your thread sucks and you should feel bad OP.

tr1p1ex

Clickbait

Still waiting for the bad news. Switch outsold everything last year. Nintendo took in $1 billion in profit in holiday quarter. GAmes being delayed in order to make them better is a win for fans. Stock is up for the year nevermind goes up and down all the time as much as the wind direction and windspeed change.

No one left the company of any significance.

Yoshi and Luigi coming out in the next few months. The SMB port came out already in January. The Verge reported in June 2018 that Fire Emblem release date was moved to Spring 2019. Still got Pokemon and AC coming out this year. And other smaller unannounced games. Mario Kart mobile game coming June.

Shit console. Worth it for Zelda and nothing else.

Nintendo has been pulling the same crap for years. Diehard Nintendo fans will never admit it though. They’ll still buy SMB3 for the eighth time.
Die hard Nintendo fan here... I admit it, where else are we going to get fucking Nintendo games, lol.

StormCell

I have a Switch still in the box from 2 weeks before Christmas due to the Slickdeals promo selling them for 179. I originally purchased it because I thought I wanted to give Smash Ultimate a shot, but after playing it a friend’s I realized I want nothing to do with it. I’ve literally been waiting since then for a Direct to give me some reason to hold onto this thing at least, but it’s starting to look like I need to get rid of it ASAP.

I just don't understand you. I assume you mean that none of the already released games are of interest to you, and that the ability to play these games away from home and TV holds any value for you. If you're not interested in Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, or Pokemon then there's nothing Nintendo will show you in a Direct that will give you a reason to keep the Switch.

Hobbesian

Banned
I just don't understand you. I assume you mean that none of the already released games are of interest to you, and that the ability to play these games away from home and TV holds any value for you. If you're not interested in Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, or Pokemon then there's nothing Nintendo will show you in a Direct that will give you a reason to keep the Switch.

I have zero interest in the portability of the system. In a few senses, I'm actually against it, so you could effectively say I have less than zero interest in it. .

As for your list: if I don't own it already on the WiiU, I'm not interested in it. With the obvious exception of Mario Odessey, which I have no interest in. Metroid Prime is so far away at this point, I feel like they should save it for the next generation.

I obviously have an interest in Nintendo in some capacity, or else I wouldn't have bought the system at all. I'm willing to give them a chance and hold onto the system if something is coming out in the near future that might interest me, but the company is being oddly coy about its release schedule this year, which is a sign that they really just don't have much.

With these rumors swirling about a new Switch release, I might as well just get rid of it.

Last edited:

StormCell

I have zero interest in the portability of the system. In a few senses, I'm actually against it.

As for your list: if I don't own it already on the WiiU, I'm not interested in it. With the obvious exception of Mario Odessey, which I have no interest in. Metroid Prime is so far away at this point, I feel like they should save it for the next generation.

I obviously have an interest in Nintendo in some capacity, or else I wouldn't have bought the system at all. I'm willing to give them a chance an hold onto the system if something is coming out in the near future that might interest me, but company is being oddly coy about its release schedule this year, which is a sign that they really just don't have much.

With these rumors swirling about a new Switch release, I might as well just get rid of it.

I think you're probably right. They did the same last year where whatever gaps were in the release schedule in the first half of the year were just that... big gaps of nothing from them.

I can't believe you have no benefit of and are even actually against the portability. There's just something really satisfying about taking my game from the TV to wherever I'm off to and bringing it back to the TV. I get that not everyone travels or spends significant time away from home, though. Some people might even feel weird bringing their video game with them.

I think that I care a lot less about what Nintendo is doing because there's a good selection of games (older titles, newer titles, all the best indie titles) coming out for Switch now. If you were content playing all of these on PS4 and have no desire to play them anywhere else but at your house, then I'd say you're wasting money on the Switch. But if you're like me, and you're probably going to be sleeping at camp grounds for half of the weekends out of the year then this is an amazing investment!

Trevelyan

Banned
Wait, this isn't a joke thread? Why are so many people replying as if the OP was serious? If the OP is not a joke, please someone just ban me. I'm dead serious.

Athena~

Banned
why do you care about their stocks?.

Lots of Nintendo fans own their stocks.

- It dropped 3.7% today.

- MK mobile just got delayed.

- Hardware Forecast sharply revised down to 17m, which means Q4 this year will be even worse than Q4 last year! That’s disastrous!

If you still don’t see troubles going on in NintendoLand then I don’t know what to say.

Remember when everyone though Nintendo was going to drop out the industry and do some yoga Quality of Life thing where they would do fitness instead?

Wait, this isn't a joke thread? Why are so many people replying as if the OP was serious? If the OP is not a joke, please someone just ban me. I'm dead serious.

While I for one don't want to banned lol it's truly baffling the hate Nintendo gets and it has reached some idiotic peaks lately. There are some posters I swear to God I only see posting about how much Nintendo sucks (and I don't mean Killer751... RIP, it's been real). You'd think people like video games, but what they actually like is talking about their preferred corporation as if it was a baseball team.

Last edited:

Athena~

Banned
Even if they don't do 20 million, they can still do more than 17m for the remainder of the year.

Or less because they are known to be overconfident and over optimistic.

Worsen? How? 2018 had Smash Bros., Pokemon, Mario Tennis, Wii U Ports, and a lot of third party and indie support. Was it amazing? No

You forgot Kirby SA, Labos, and Mario Party. This year is looking so bad in comparisons. Animal Crossings can only do so much

While I for one don't want to banned lol it's truly baffling the hate Nintendo gets and it has reached some idiotic peaks lately. There are some posters I swear to God I only see posting about how much Nintendo sucks (and I don't mean Killer751... RIP, it's been real). You'd think people like video games, but what they actually like is talking about their preferred corporation as if it was a baseball team.

Lately it’s nothing but bad news for Nintendo and the fans. No one hates them lol. Just people reporting the facts

Jubenhimer

You forgot Kirby SA, Labos, and Mario Party. This year is looking so bad in comparisons. Animal Crossings can only do so much

There's Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Daemon X Machina, Marvel Ultimate Aliance 3, and Luigi's Mansion 3. Along with a bunch of unannounced titles, plus third party games. 2019 will be fine.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo has always had their ups and days, after all they live and die by their exclusives.

Athena~

Banned
Along with a bunch of unannounced titles

That never happens. Why especially Nintendo fans do this to themselves constantly is beyond me. Never in history a bunch of Nintendo games got announced and released in the same year.

Maybe 1 or 2 at best but never “a bunch”.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
2019... i can't believe the year is already over... damn, Nintendo actually release ZERO games for the Switch this year. no wonder you said it was a rough year!

oh wait, it's not even February...

swear to God, half the internet's problems would go away if people learned some fucking patience

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
While I for one don't want to banned lol it's truly baffling the hate Nintendo gets and it has reached some idiotic peaks lately. There are some posters I swear to God I only see posting about how much Nintendo sucks (and I don't mean Killer751... RIP, it's been real).
He had his chance and predictably blew it instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately it’s nothing but bad news for Nintendo and the fans. No one hates them lol. Just people reporting the facts

"Bad news" and "facts" don't match unless those are some heavily cherry picked "facts". The Switch was the best selling gaming hardware of 2018 in the US, there are already FIVE games in that library that sold over 10 million copies, fucking Captain Toad sold more than a million copies. People assumed the Switch would go away and it didn't. When Pokémon gen 8 drops and this motherfucker picks up steam yet again, on which "facts" are you going to lean?

Athena~

Banned
2019... i can't believe the year is already over... damn, Nintendo actually release ZERO games for the Switch this year. no wonder you said it was a rough year!

They did release one game already tho. A port sadly.

"Bad news" and "facts" don't match unless those are some heavily cherry picked "facts". The Switch was the best selling gaming hardware of 2018 in the US, there are already FIVE games in that library that sold over 10 million copies, fucking Captain Toad sold more than a million copies. People assumed the Switch would go away and it didn't. When Pokémon gen 8 drops and this motherfucker picks up steam yet again, on which "facts" are you going to lean?

This thread is about 2019 not 2018.

This year so far is going downhill: Facts

Switch gonna pick up steam again: Speculation not facts

This thread is about 2019 not 2018.

This year so far is going downhill: Facts

Switch gonna pick up steam again: Speculation not facts

The Switch being the best selling gaming hardware of the last year doesn't count for anything but your odds and sods amalgamation of rumors and barely disappointing stuff is totally relevant? Yeah I don't want to engage on this conversation any further my man, I will however offer up some small advice in case you're not doing ironically or shit like that. Don't do it. There's a reason why "Nintendo DOOMED" is a meme. People have been forecasting their demise forever and every time they have been proven to be wrong or stupid or both. This is a wild goose chase dude, let it go.

Athena~

Banned
The Switch being the best selling gaming hardware of the last year doesn't count for anything but your odds and sods amalgamation of rumors and barely disappointing stuff is totally relevant? Yeah I don't want to engage on this conversation any further my man, I will however offer up some small advice in case you're not doing ironically or shit like that. Don't do it. There's a reason why "Nintendo DOOMED" is a meme. People have been forecasting their demise forever and every time they have been proven to be wrong or stupid or both. This is a wild goose chase dude, let it go.

Nowhere was I speculating their demise especially when I am a fan as well.

I don’t sugarcoat the bad news and pretend I should be happy with them

Let people speak their thoughts and don’t randomly call people dude thanks

That never happens. Why especially Nintendo fans do this to themselves constantly is beyond me. Never in history a bunch of Nintendo games got announced and released in the same year.

Except when they announced Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and released them the same year.

Looking just at last year, Nintendo announced Mario Tennis Aces, Super Mario Party, Nintendo Labo and Super Smash Bros Ultimate the same year as their release as well.

That's not counting any ports or anything like that.

So it does happen. Quite often in recent times in fact.

Nowhere was I speculating their demise especially when I am a fan as well.

I don’t sugarcoat the bad news and pretend I should be happy with them

Let people speak their thoughts and don’t randomly call people dude thanks

You cherry picked a bunch of unrelated shit to portray a narrative that doesn't sustain itself considering how the Switch and Nintendo are doing overall. You don't sugarcoat shit, you add salt instead. I'm not keeping you from doing anything, carry on then.

Jubenhimer

Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Labo, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Tennis Aces, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Snipperclips. You were saying?

Lots of Nintendo fans own their stocks.

- It dropped 3.7% today.

- MK mobile just got delayed.

- Hardware Forecast sharply revised down to 17m, which means Q4 this year will be even worse than Q4 last year! That’s disastrous!

If you still don’t see troubles going on in NintendoLand then I don’t know what to say.

they seem to be doing fine a lot of their exclusive games are selling stupidly well in japan these days. which is weird outside of mario their exclusives never really did well in japan like USA. must be because of the mobility of switch

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

After today's Direct, I can't see how anyone can think 2019 is going to be anything but a fantastic year for the Switch. Yes, I can understand the disappointment for the lack of a AAA release for the first part, but honestly that's nothing new for Nintendo, they always focus more on the later half of the year for significant releases as that's where the bulk of their sales come from.

Athena~

Banned
After today's Direct, I can't see how anyone can think 2019 is going to be anything but a fantastic year for the Switch. Yes, I can understand the disappointment for the lack of a AAA release for the first part, but honestly that's nothing new for Nintendo, they always focus more on the later half of the year for significant releases as that's where the bulk of their sales come from.

You must be kidding

Fire Emblem got delayed again, nothing shown on Animal Crossing, 2D Zelda not even a new game

I guess you don’t play games in the first half of the year or something?

With them only focusing on one system their droughts are still as long as ever.

Jubenhimer

You must be kidding

Fire Emblem got delayed again, nothing shown on Animal Crossing, 2D Zelda not even a new game

I guess you don’t play games in the first half of the year or something?

With them only focusing on one system their droughts are still as long as ever.

There's only a drought if you manufacture one. Fire Emblem's delay wasn't that big, and LA may as well be a new game considering its a full on remake. There is no drought for the Switch, as notable titles are coming every month from third parties.

iconmaster

Banned
After today's Direct, I can't see how anyone can think 2019 is going to be anything but a fantastic year for the Switch.

They announced Mario Maker 2 and Link's Awakening, they've already told us Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing and Pokémon are coming this year, and Fire Emblem lands in July.

Do people expect every last Nintendo franchise to get a new entry this year?

mcjmetroid

Bunch of bad news for Nintendo already and this is only January:

- Will not meet 20m sales target, stocks likely to drop

- Metroid Prime 4 started from scratch and only started development recently, when it’s supposed to come out this year

- No news whatsoever for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Supposed to be out last year

- No Direct this month which was long overdue. Even in January last year there was a Direct and hype early and we all know last year lineup was poor. This year doesn’t look any better and absolutely barebone first half again

- MK11 Switch version delayed in Europe. Song of Memories, WWE 2k19 etc. Switch versions cancelled. Third party relationship continued to be awful

- Nintendo’s head of partner management joins Microsoft. Keep losing people left and right

- Nintendo president hints company may stop making games console in the future in a recent interview

Can this year get even worse for Nintendo fans?? We still have 11 months to find out!
Well obviously some of your points are out of date now the direct has happened but Nintendo's president (don't make me spell his name) only said that there may be a time when consoles aren't the future so they need to be prepared for that.

I mean consoles as we know it won't exist in 10 years. It's difficult to imagine but it's coming.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Exactly. But so many Xbox & Playstation fanboys automatically treat Microsoft & Sony like kings & gods just because of "more powah & graphics!" & the huge 3rd party support that they get when they're far from it. Even that is going to come to a standstill.

What are both PS5 & Xbox 4 going to do differently besides just beefing up the hardware & increasing graphics? All that shit is going to do, is balloon the cost of game development more so than before, making it incredibly difficult for 3rd party publishers & developers & hire even more people just to make games, especially if they're pushing for Native 4K gaming.

Just wait until next gen when there's going to be even less AAA titles on those platforms, such as games from Rockstar &/or Take-Two.

It's been proven each & every generation that it's the prices, the advertising, & the gaming libraries that makes consoles successful, not power & graphics.

This is a real salty fanboy post. Besides great hardware and more power Ps4 has first party games that no other systems have, ever heard of Spiderman, GOW, MLB The Show, etc? Trust me every Sony hardware will have top notch exclusives so idk what stand still your alluding to. Beyond that, online features such as share play that Nintendo doesn't have and just way more features in general in terms of online gaming not that VS Nintendo calls online. and ohhhhhh u forgot the most innovative thing of all that makes its just not about being samey and not innovating.....

You have the first "true" VR solution on consoles (not tht bs virtual boy that everyone agrees wasn't VR lol) that is more innovative than anything this gen and is truly a new way to play. With games like Astrobot tht are many ppls Goty. And even more exclusives to go on about.

Like please lets stop the bs narrative that Nintendo is the only one that innovates when switch itself isn't a new concept and was done decades ago with the nomad and turbo express you could hook up to tvs. I own a switch and game on it hence why I'm in this thread but my God that was a fanboy rant you did lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Astral Chain
Daemon X Machina
Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Bayonetta 3
Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition

2019 line up switch is looking sooo good for me.

Athena~

Banned
Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition

The whole time they were highlighting it I was thinking “So I have to wait a year to play the graphically inferior version “

Sad that third parties still treat Switch fans as 2nd class citizens

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The whole time they were highlighting it I was thinking “So I have to wait a year to play the graphically inferior version “

The visuals might not be better than PS4 version but it has lot extra content and adding 2D version which made decided to buy it again even tho i already own the PS4 version.

Jubenhimer

An only slightly graphically inferior version that contains more content and features than the original release.

Shifty

Tetris Battle Royale
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening

But most importantly of all:

Mothafuckin' TOWN baybee

TOOOOOOWN
YOOO GET HYPED
I just like the name. They shouldn't change it.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
New mainline Pokemon = 15-20 million seller
Animal Crossing = 12-15 million seller
Mario Maker 2 = 10 million seller
NSMBUD = 10 million seller
Zelda LA = 7-10 million seller
FE 3 Houses = 5 million seller
Luigi’s Mansion 3 = 4 million seller
Yoshi CW = 2.5 million seller

Nintendo Evergreen titles(MK8D, SSBU, SMO, BOTW, and Splatoon) = > 2-5 million seller for each titles
3rd party exclusive game and content
Astral Chain
Demon X Machina
Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition = really big in Japan
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
Hollow Knight: Silksong

US NPD January 2019 284k in 4 weeks up from last year number despite less than a week tracking period
Media Create January 2019 ~450k up to 150k hardware from last year YTD number
France up 50% on the 1st week of 2019

Rough year for Nintendo :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_beaming::messenger_grinning_sweat:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
New mainline Pokemon = 15-20 million seller
Animal Crossing = 12-15 million seller
Mario Maker 2 = 10 million seller
NSMBUD = 10 million seller
Zelda LA = 7-10 million seller
FE 3 Houses = 5 million seller
Luigi’s Mansion 3 = 4 million seller
Yoshi CW = 2.5 million seller

Nintendo Evergreen titles(MK8D, SSBU, SMO, BOTW, and Splatoon) = > 2-5 million seller for each titles
3rd party exclusive game and content
Astral Chain
Demon X Machina
Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition = really big in Japan
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
Hollow Knight: Silksong

US NPD January 2019 284k in 4 weeks up from last year number despite less than a week tracking period
Media Create January 2019 ~450k up to 150k hardware from last year YTD number
France up 50% on the 1st week of 2019

Rough year for Nintendo :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_beaming::messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yeah this may end up being Nintendo’s best year, JUST Pokémon alone is going to make them so much money, not to mention the others you pointed out.

I expect 2020 to be rough though, with the launch of new MS and SNY systems drying up nearly all 3rd party AAA titles from the system.

Top Bottom