• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 was a pretty meh year for gaming

SantaC

Maybe I am the only one, but I thought 2019 was pretty lackluster. I mostly played games from my backlog and I wasnt even interested in the holiday games. I have no interest in Star Wars, and Kojimas overhyped offerings have never been my cup of tea.

The only games I bought from this year was Tales of Vesperia remaster, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro and bloodstained.

2020 is shaping up to be much much better. I admit being a big fan of Miyazaki and have high hopes of Elden Ring. It's probably my most hyped game the last 5 years.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
DMC5 alone was legendary for me.

But yes I agree 2020 is shaping up to be great. People say that every year, but this time its looking to be true.

Roni

Gold Member
Resident Evil
Control
Sekiro
Gears
Devil May Cry
Modern Warfare
Death Stranding
Outer Worlds
Star Wars
Borderlands
Mortal Kombat
Shenmue
Metro

Hitman received most of its content this year, too
Iceborn came out.

That's a lot of good games, or more content for good games...

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i agree. only bought Sekiro and The Division 2. hardly even touched The Division 2.

played Star Wars fallen order which was "free" as part of a subscription. it was enjoyable to run through but pretty mediocre.

Resident Evil
Control

Sekiro
Gears
Devil May Cry
Modern Warfare
Death Stranding
Outer Worlds

Star Wars
Borderlands
Mortal Kombat
Shenmue
Metro

Hitman received most of its content this year, too
Iceborn came out.

That's a lot of good games...

opinions and stuff...

your list is mostly junk as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:
Didn't we have this thread before? :pie_thinking:
2019 was amazing if it's not good it's because of your taste in games, the 1st 3 months were jam packed with great long awaited games from KH3 to RE2R and DMCV etc.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
fb0.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
You'd hate to love most games that came out this year? OK... Guess 2020 is going to suck for you then.
nah. i'd hate playing those games :p

i'm super excited for 2020. so many games to buy! i can't wait. there won't be enough hours in the days to play all the games i plan on buying!

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
2020 is looking fucking amazing.
yep. too many games i want that i might actually need to be careful with how much i spend or hold off playing some of them. no way i can buy all them day 1. there's just not gonna be enough time. the games are gonna come thick and fast.

Must suck to have those types of standards then...

Again, sucks to be you then...
again, it's just my opinion.

have fun playing your games and i'll have fun playing mine :)

why you so mad that i don't like the same game as you?

Last edited:
someone else said this to me recently. and i just started rattling off the games. and i was dumb founded they thought it was a slow gaming year. i think its more a myopic "me' issue for people.

Pejo

Gold Member
If you're a souls fan, I'm surprised you were let down by 2019. Code Vein was great, Surge 2 was good, Sekiro was great, and the new Star Wars (lesser souls-like, but still similar) was also surprisingly good.

Bloodstained is the best Metroidvania I've played in years, DMC5 was fun, Fire Emblem Houses has a lot of fans.

Non-AAA titles like Daemon X Machina and Astral Chain also came out this year, both hidden gems.

I think you're crazy personally, OP.

Mista

Banned
How did you come to this conclusion?

Elden Ring
Cyberpunk
FF7R
Tales of Arise
REmake 3
Nioh 2
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Biomutant
NMH3
Maybe YS9
Maybe the new Zelda
What makes you think you'll enjoy them or even buy them since you only got 3-4 games this year?

SantaC

If you're a souls fan, I'm surprised you were let down by 2019. Code Vein was great, Surge 2 was good, Sekiro was great
Code Vein was a letdown, and it was pretty expected. Sekiro, while a good game, wasnt fromsofts best offering. Stopgap game.

Fbh

It wasn't the best year ever but it was still a good one.

Sekiro was amazing.
We saw the return of DMC even though it was a bit disappointing
Re2 Remake
Got a new IP from Platinum announced and released this year in the form of Astral Chain which was great
Bloodstained was sort of like having a new Castlevania
Haven't played them but Jedi Fallen Order seems to be a fun single player Star Wars game with no microtransactions BS and Death Stranding, while divisive, saw the return of Kojima to AAA gaming.

A plagues tale, Disco Elysium, Void Bastars and some more where rather surprise hits (at least to me) I didn't know about until lots of people started talking about them.

EDIT:
Oh Greedfall too seems to be good and also came out of nowhere for a lot of people, haven't played it yet though

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I agree with you OP. There were games that I wanted to play this year but didn’t because they were exclusive to the Epic Store like Borderlands 3 and Untitled Goose Game so I’m waiting until 2020 anyway.

Shakka43

Resident Evil 2 and Days Gone Were enough for me to not call it meh. There were also some nice fillers like Concrete Genie and MediEvil too.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Valfaris, Death Stranding, Cat Quest 2 (the only game my girlfriend played with me :messenger_grinning:), Ace Combat 7, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, Cathrine Full Body, Metro Exodus, Sekiro, Days Gone, Crash Team Racing, Control and MediEvil Remake made this year really awesome for me.

And thats just for PS4.

There are so many more games this year for the Switch, Xbox and of course PC that I didn't mention.

You really just have to watch out and pic the one you like.

Iam more than satisfied!

And lets not talk about 2020. Yeah!

Bkdk

Yep, pretty terrible, glad there are always older games for me to play, spending far more time on those, Hoping for a better 2020. Looks good but usually turns out opposite again just like most years.

TheContact

(I won't include remasters but I think remakes are fair game, id est RE2)
Resident Evil 2
Apex Legends
Sekiro
Anno 1800
Octopath Traveler
Cadence of Hyrule
Super Mario Maker 2
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword & Shield
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Shenmue III
The Outer Worlds

to name a few

March 2020 will probably be better than all this year togheter.

EDIT: 2019 was a year full of games that are nothing special Star Wars, Days Gone, Luigi, The outer worlds, Mario Maker, DMCV, Kingdom Hearts.

Destacable games imho for different reasons

Death Stranding
Sekiro
Fire Emblem
Resident Evil 2
Astral Chain looked ace too but i haven't played it.
Control (i've heard good things about this one)

Last edited:
I had a great year!

I built a new PC and have been able to make good use of it. Game Pass has been delivering a constant flow of games to me. A good Star Wars game came out and Battlefront II has gotten a ton of content. The Analogue Mega SG came out, the Switch has had an absolutely stellar year. Lots of good racing games. Not once this year have I been without something new to play.

Can't wait to see what 2020 has to top this year.

Top Bottom