• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

outsidah

So I took two different pictures after setting the settings to those recommended by TFT Central.

The first is displaying a black background.

The second, I selected the wrong input and waited for the label to go away showing a black screen.

Returnnnnnnn it. That's really bad.

Evo X

That or the asus equalvilant, the pg348q.

Having an amazing time with the Asus PG348Q, which has all the top features of the x34. I have it mounted though so I don't have to put up with the controversial stand.

I'm using the GTX 1080 and it's driving the vast majority of my games at a minimum of 60 fps at max settings. DOOM for instance spends most of its time at the 100 mark. Some games require "very high" instead of "ultra" on key settings, but the pascal titan x (or 1080ti if it matches it like the 980ti did to the og titan x) should mitigate this.

Just check that your favourite games support the aspect ratio first, then you're good to go.

It's incredible, I love mine.

The only downside is it's not 144hz

rip my wallet when 3440x1440 144hz gets released.

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys!

I don't play many PC games competitively so I doubt I would notice the difference between 100hz and 144hz. Is there a website I can check to see if my favorite games support 21:9?

outsidah

I don't play many PC games competitively so I doubt I would notice the difference between 100hz and 144hz. Is there a website I can check to see if my favorite games support 21:9?

The bump from 60 to 100 is amazing. It's so strange but awesome the first time you see it. Above 100 it's debatable, but not much of a choice if you want the monitor right now. There is a x34p model coming by Q4 supposedly that will run at 100 stock and supposedly OC beyond that if you want to wait.

I tend to check wsgf.com to see what works or it someone put out a fix.

Thanks. I'll get in touch with Amazon today.

The bump from 60 to 100 is amazing. It's so strange but awesome the first time you see it. Above 100 it's debatable, but not much of a choice if you want the monitor right now. There is a x34p model coming by Q4 supposedly that will run at 100 stock and supposedly OC beyond that if you want to wait.

I tend to check wsgf.com to see what works or it someone put out a fix.

I'm coming from a 144hz monitor and don't really notice much of a difference between that and the X34. I can tell you that running 3440x1440 maxed out with 144hz would be quite a task. I know my 1080 couldn't do it on most games maxed. BF4 hovers around 100fps for me.

*** For those of you ordering one, and wondering where to do it. Amazon does send replacements without making you return the original first. It's literally three button clicks. Can't beat that.

mr stroke

as someone who uses an Asus PG279Q & Asus PG348Q the difference between
100hz and 165hz is noticeable

Do you play a lot of competitive shooters?

Why did you buy both? Ever post a comparison of the two here?

I've switched from the Dell G-Sync 144hz monitors to the X34 and I didn't notice the change. I play a bunch of fps games, BF4, CSGO, etc. As well as a ton of rocket league, which I can no longer play at 60hz after 144/100hz.

I bet that if you played one game constantly that is ridiculously fast and twitch based CSGO, you might be able to notice it. If you are a player that switches games a lot and aren't a pro gamer, you aren't going to notice the change. It's like anything else tho, everyone is going to have a slightly different spin.

Momentary

Banned
I'm thinking about going with the PG348Q, but it's only 100hz. I don't know if I could give up 144hz for that. I think it looks amazing though.

I'm thinking about going with the PG348Q, but it's only 100hz. I don't know if I could give up 144hz for that. I think it looks amazing though.

If you're a professional player, don't do it. If you play for fun, do it. It's a much better experience. It's incredible actually. I usually finish in the top 3 in BF4 matches and that didn't change at all moving from 144 to 100hz, and as I mentioned above, I didn't notice the change.

So I took two different pictures after setting the settings to those recommended by TFT Central.

The first is displaying a black background.

5dkXHOul.jpg

The second, I selected the wrong input and waited for the label to go away showing a black screen.

dzEulofl.jpg
You might get marginally better, but this is what they look like. Photography makes it look worse than it is. If you can't handle some BLB in the corners, don't buy an IPS ultrawidescreen right now. It's that simple. There is no such thing as a backlight bleed-less IPS ultrawidescreen. VA panels have less but come with their own list of negatives.

You get used to it.

You might get marginally better, but this is what they look like. Photography makes it look worse than it is. If you can't handle some BLB in the corners, don't buy an IPS ultrawidescreen right now. It's that simple. There is no such thing as a backlight bleed-less IPS ultrawidescreen. VA panels have less but come with their own list of negatives.

You get used to it.

Right, so if you follow the thread, someone jumped in and suggested I post some pictures of the bleed to get some input from owners on here. When I took the pictures it was the first time I had actually used the monitor at night, so I didn't really know how bad it was to begin with. I was immediately told to return it, so I started to look around at how mine compared to others.

It looks exactly like all the others that have been returned by customers.

As Arc mentions..
True, but when you spend $1300 on a monitor and see others with the identical monitor with this amount of BLB, you kinda feel bad.
you are spending 1300 on a monitor. Just because BLB is a downside to IPS doesn't mean that Acer has free reign to release panels with glowing lights in all four corners of the screen and an inability to produce black color because of it. Reviews on TFT Central and a few other sites have pictures of their units BLB and it's exceptionally better than how mine looks. Which means that there are plenty of good panels in the wild, or that Acer knows this is an issue and cherry picked monitors to send to reviewers. I have also owned IPS panels and not seen BLB this bad. I used the camera settings that TFT Central recommended there as well. Not to mention, have the ability to look at a photograph and the screen in real life to determine whether or not the picture represents what I am seeing.

You can see in the top picture that the bleeding is bad on the left side of the monitor and completely alters the black color across the screen, which is purpleish in real life and in the photograph.

The reason these discussions exist is so that you can determine what you should accept from Acer and for your $1300. A non-specific post saying that we should deal with it because it is IPS is ridiculous and only really benefits Acer.

If you're asking if 144hz makes a different then yes it does! I have a similar setup. 21:9 1080p monitor next to a 144hz monitor.

Well people have been asking specifically about "downgrading" from 144hz to 100hz. Of the difference is noticeable. I didn't think so, but it's definitely one of those things that's debated.

Lol, do you notice a huge difference? A few people have been looking for comparisons recently.

yes. I can notice, it does give a very slight advantage. I would not have bothered if I didn't originally experience 144hz on a rog swift. I was playing on my x34 @ 100hz its certainly an experience, but I felt that something was missing when playing competitive FPS.

I also prefer for a competitive FPS a smaller 24'' monitor, it's easier to see the entire screen at once. I would assume that a higher resolution (1440 vs. 1080) would have been better, but this 24'' vg24 was only 200 bucks.

Evo X

Alright guys, ended up buying the Asus PG348Q tonight. Let's give it a whirl and see how I like this whole 21:9 thing.

Will post some impressions later.

Nzyme32

Been looking at 2560 x 1080 monitors purely for cost efficiency and performance. Seems you can't find any gsync ones out there and they are all freesync. Guess I'll have to look into picking up an AMD card for a change.

Looking like LG 29UM68 is the front runner. At 29inch it ends up with a 16:9 size that is the same size as my current monitor, and the added freesync will be awesome. A nice entry point for 21:9 for someone on a lower end budget.

ClearData

It's incredible, I love mine.

The only downside is it's not 144hz

rip my wallet when 3440x1440 144hz gets released.

Could you describe how it looks to watch a movie or maybe post a picture? I plan to buy one of these and I tend to do everything on my monitor. Stream cable, watch movies, console gaming, and of course PC. I just want an idea of how 16:9 content looks on the Predator x34.

Could you describe how it looks to watch a movie or maybe post a picture? I plan to buy one of these and I tend to do everything on my monitor. Stream cable, watch movies, console gaming, and of course PC. I just want an idea of how 16:9 content looks on the Predator x34.

I'll put up a picture for you, but it literally looks like a 27" 16:9 monitor in the center of your screen. A few inches of black bars on either side. I am coming from the 27" Dell 1440p Gsync monitor, and it looks like that with black bars on the sides.

ClearData

I'll put up a picture for you, but it literally looks like a 27" 16:9 monitor in the center of your screen. A few inches of black bars on either side. I am coming from the 27" Dell 1440p Gsync monitor, and it looks like that with black bars on the sides.

That be great Draughn101. I'm trying to picture that in my head. So no black bars on the top or bottom just on the sides?

Nzyme32

That be great Draughn101. I'm trying to picture that in my head. So no black bars on the top or bottom just on the sides?

Black borders will only appear if you are viewing content that is not native 21:9. So most TV shows and youtube videos are 16:9, so you will have borders on the left and right like so:

q2963Pm-Futurama-centre.jpg

Meanwhile many movies that are native 21:9 will be full screen, like guardians of the galaxy:

IMG_2865.jpg~original

This stuff also depends on the software you use. Shitty old PowerDVD and such for blurays will often fail to work well on anything other than a 16:9 monitor, while even VLC will do everything correctly for 21:9.

If you are concerned about size comparisons for things viewed at non-native resolution, like 16:9, you should compare at Display Wars. As a simple example, a 21:9 display at 29 inches will be ~23inch at 16:9, 34 inch 21:9 will be ~27inch at 16:9

ClearData

Black borders will only appear if you are viewing content that is not native 21:9. So most TV shows and youtube videos are 16:9, so you will have borders on the left and right like so:

Meanwhile many movies that are native 21:9 will be full screen, like guardians of the galaxy:

IMG_2865.jpg~original

This stuff also depends on the software you use. Shitty old PowerDVD and such for blurays will often fail to work well on anything other than a 16:9 monitor, while even VLC will do everything correctly for 21:9.

If you are concerned about size comparisons for things viewed at non-native resolution, like 16:9, you should compare at Display Wars. As a simple example, a 21:9 display at 29 inches will be ~23inch at 16:9, 34 inch 21:9 will be ~27inch at 16:9

Thank you for the information! This doesn't look bad at all and I wasn't aware that one of my favorite movies had a 21:9 mode. Hype intensifies.

Sophia

Thank you for the information! This doesn't look bad at all and I wasn't aware that one of my favorite movies had a 21:9 mode. Hype intensifies.

The vast majority of movies that come out are 21:9

Or rather, they're an aspect ratio that's like a few pxiels off anyhow. There's technically black bars at the top and bottom. =P

Hooking my PS4 up and watching The Matrix on Blu-Ray was amazing.

OraleeWey

IMG_2865.jpg~original

Jesus christ man that Futurama picture looks so clean. Is that the 29" 1080p monitor you got there?

Edit: I was thinking you had the LG monitor, which monitor have you?

Shotterke

So I returned my first Dell u3415w because of back light bleeding and I got my second one last week but I wasn't able to really test it until yesterday.

Pic:
sotn5fd.jpg

It's not as bad as my first monitor but I still think it's way too much for a €799 monitor. Am I crazy and should I learn to live with it or should I return it?

Its IPS panel so you cant avoid back light bleed. Mine also has some but it doesnt bother me much. How often do you need to use black background?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay...

I want the Asus ROG Swift 34" Ultrawide. I want it. I want it. But, I know I should probably sell some things (that I don't use anyway...like a Wii U, Vita, etc) to help pay for it. I also see the Acer predator which makes me hesitate a tiny bit.

Someone push me over the edge. Just a nudge. lol

Nzyme32

Jesus christ man that Futurama picture looks so clean. Is that the 29" 1080p monitor you got there?

Edit: I was thinking you had the LG monitor, which monitor have you?

Neither of those are mine (I am getting the LG one I mentioned earlier); I just grabbed the pics. The Futurama one is the AOC q2963Pm (Q2963PQ). The article that is from discusses some of the issues that 21:9 can have with either crap software for movies or crap encoded video (likely from pirated stuff that has the borders in the actual video rather than not there).

The same folks also do more 21:9 articles of other monitors with good pics and info / advice. This article is a good one demoing the AOC u3477Pqu and some of the techniques to force 16:9 content to 21:9 by zooming (cutting out part of the 16:9 image):

normal 16:9
UWA-Futurama-maintained-aspect.jpg

monitor stretch to fit
UWA-Futurama-stretched.jpg

Although of course most films are in 2.35:1-2.40 which is what 21:9 pretty much is (21:9 is actually used as a marketing term, the monitors are not literally 21:9 but pretty close):

UWA-Skyfall.jpg

They also do some good insight into how to use something similar with streaming movies from netflix, such as via chrome extension since Netflix only stream in 16:9 with black borders, so you will need to stretch to fit if you want to see it fullscreen without cutting bits off via such an extension (to avoid having to mess with the monitor settings every time). By stretching to fit though, you are stretching the image, so compression artefacts get a bit more exposed and clarity is a bit reduced.

UWA-Hobbit.jpg

Though apparently Amazon vids do the same for the most part, some actually don't and stream without the borders, so will end up looking best on 21:9:

UWA-Cuban-Fury.jpg

Coffinhal

Quick review of the 21:9 I received yesterday :

Finally got a S34E790C. 790€ on the Samsung website, free delivery within a day.

It's really impressive and heavy. No backlight bleed or anything like that thanks to the VA panel. The blacks are really black but I still need to fix the colors, it lacks something compared to a Dell IPS panel which looks sharp and precise. But the lack of light leak everywhere and blacks that look like blacks (and not dark grey) were something I needed.

Sound included in the panel is pretty good when you don't want to put headphones or if you lack spaces for even a stereo set up and you need other people to listen.

I tested a few games with a 970 and I'm waiting for my 1070 new PC to be here to really test it.

The curve is noticeable but I don't mind it. I believe it's something you can have an opinion on when you experienced it several times.

You can't imagine how good it feels to use it for photo and video editing, there is so much space ! And I didn't even set up my 16:9 24" with it.

It would have been perfect with G-sync but I can't spend 400€ more for just that.

-

By the way, 21:9 movies are not the majority of movies that you can watch or that release. Maybe if you look at the blockbusters in the US, but that's nothing compared to everything that is shot and mostly in 16:9 and everything that you can watch and that is either 16:9 or 4:3. I searched my film library for 21:9 movies and there are few...except for US blockbusters or bad movies that tried to copy a "cinematic" experience (but are way less cinematic than a 4:3 russian movie from the 1960s)
Anyway on a 3440x1440 display they don't look good even with Blu-ray quality. And please don't crop 16:9 video content to 21:9, if it was framed like this there is a reason (most of the times, when the director knows how to shoot). Until 4K Blu-Ray and high quality content are everywhere (3-5-10 years from now), don't buy a 21:9 screen for movies.

Tadie

A few days ago I bought the BenQ XR3501 35" 144hz widescreen monitor.

Man, it's such a great feeling and immersion. I will not go back.......

Dave_6

What's the response time on these newer monitors, like the X34 and the Asus PG348Q? I figure I'll probably need to keep my 144hz VG248QE around for competitive FPS games and such.

Coolade

What's the response time on these newer monitors, like the X34 and the Asus PG348Q? I figure I'll probably need to keep my 144hz VG248QE around for competitive FPS games and such.

Provided you get a good one I have my P348Q overclocked to 100hz at the moment. I think sometime in the next year or two these ultrawides will be able to reach 144hz but right now 100hz is the max.

Playing through the Arkham series again in 21:9 is amazing. Asylum especially. Adds so much to the atmosphere for Batman to not take up 2/3 of the screen.

Hesh

Did anyone get one of those LG 29UM68-P 29-Inch 21:9 UltraWide IPS Monitors over the weekend that Amazon had on sale for sub-$200? I've been rolling with a 24" Playstation 3D Monitor for my PC for the past 4.5 years and I've been thinking of getting a 29" or larger 1440P monitor for the past year since I'm basically playing with house money on this current monitor considering it's still going strong despite overwhelmingly negative reports online of people whose monitors died mere months or even weeks after purchase. The ridiculous discount on the LG 29UM658-P this weekend really forced my hand, though. I'm just kind of worried since it's only 29" diagonally on an ultra-wide monitor so I may be making a sideways step towards upgrading over my old monitor since this new one may be wider but is something akin to a 23" 1080p monitor being stretched out. It's on backorder, though, so I have time to cancel the order if need be. So yeah, anyone have any kind words to say about this monitor or should I have saved my $175 for something in the $250-$300 range instead?

Elven_Star

Did anyone get one of those LG 29UM68-P 29-Inch 21:9 UltraWide IPS Monitors over the weekend that Amazon had on sale for sub-$200? I've been rolling with a 24" Playstation 3D Monitor for my PC for the past 4.5 years and I've been thinking of getting a 29" or larger 1440P monitor for the past year since I'm basically playing with house money on this current monitor considering it's still going strong despite overwhelmingly negative reports online of people whose monitors died mere months or even weeks after purchase. The ridiculous discount on the LG 29UM658-P this weekend really forced my hand, though. I'm just kind of worried since it's only 29" diagonally on an ultra-wide monitor so I may be making a sideways step towards upgrading over my old monitor since this new one may be wider but is something akin to a 23" 1080p monitor being stretched out. It's on backorder, though, so I have time to cancel the order if need be. So yeah, anyone have any kind words to say about this monitor or should I have saved my $175 for something in the $250-$300 range instead?

I have the 25UM65-P model and I love it. Seeing some of the pictures in this thread with those horrifying black bleeding issues on much more expensive monitors has made me love mine even more. As for the size, I think it's a personal preference thing. I'm fine with mine. I can post some pictures if you want.

OraleeWey

I have the 29" model. It's worth it man. Especially for sub $200. You won't notice it on pictures but seeing it with your own eyes, it's actually bigger than it seems.

Top Bottom