• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

I'm pretty sure the amount of chasing is for demonstration purposes. We are watching a tutorial here, those have always made you travel around the whole map in MH games.

I guess I'll see future videos. It's kind of cool how you can also lead them to other monsters to finish them off so the fight is always different. I guess what really bugs me in the end is how the running animation looks kind of silly? It's my main gripe

BBboy20

When I started with MH I got my ass handed to me by the Great Jaggi about 20 times before I figured out how the Great Sword worked. I have an extraordinary amount of patience. Most western gamers don't.

The act of even learning a weapon in Monster Hunter is a time consuming exercise. Nevermind mastering how to use it situationally against a monster. After that comes the tedium of the initial "pick shit" and "kill tiny monsters" that force you to learn the systems. I may have been way behind the curve with the Great Jaggi, but I wager most people will encounter that massive difficulty spike with the first boss and get completely overwhelmed. I fnd most seasoned Monster Hunter players are the ones who bear down and work though the adversity. Most people though will drop the game like a hot powderstone.

I think that whole line of thinking is way overrated. Sure, there are going to be a number of people who were always interested but not enough to pick up a handheld or a Nintendo console if they didn't already have one, but the biggest barrier to entry for the series is and has always been the steep learning curve and the punishing item system.

Western gamers are not gonna want to sift through and combo specific items for specific missions, or read a wiki to see what bullet does what damage to what monster for their gun. They are gonna want a few options to choose from handed to them so they can go. There are so many tenets of MH that are offputting to western play styles, graphics fidelity is low on the totem pole.
Why is Dark Souls' a success?

Defuser

I guess I'll see future videos. It's kind of cool how you can also lead them to other monsters to finish them off so the fight is always different. I guess what really bugs me in the end is how the running animation looks kind of silly? It's my main gripe
You're talking about a game that has talking cats, comically oversize weapons and cooking meat with a silly tune and you are bothered by running animations that look silly?

No farming/fetch quests. And I have tried a few before. I could never get over that slump. Whenever I found all the plants or whatever they throw another one with items/herbs that are even harder to find and I have to run all over the map again. At least that's what I remember

Kyoufu

Monster Hunter is a silly game. If that's your main gripe then you'll be ok :)

You're talking about a game that has talking cats, comically oversize weapons and cooking meat with a silly tune and you are bothered by running animations that look silly?

Well I'm gonna be running the entire game. I want it to look nice. Dragon's dogma had a good running animation. This is a joke. I was hoping they'd change it but it literally looks the same.

Dark Souls is far more binary than Monster Hunter is. Dark Souls is a punishingly hard game, but the rules of Dark Souls are pretty straightforward for the most part. Bosses are hard, but follow comparatively simple patterns. The most difficult thing to figure out is the weapon upgrade system.

Monster Hunter is more complex, especially to start. In order to be a proficient MH player you have to learn your weapon, learn the Monster, learn how to use items and remember to take certain items on certain missions, and farm those items continuously. Fetch quests are also a huge part of the game.

The is also much more responsibility required in MH. Forget your whetstones? Unless you're in a rare level in which you can gather them (or you remembered to bring a pickaxe - learning curve alert) you're fucked. The game punishes you heavily for not being prepared or preparing poorly. Dark Souls has none of these issues.

crinale

By looking inventory screen from the stream, I think charms are gone.
Personally I am so happy they took charms out.

Raide

By looking inventory screen from the stream, I think charms are gone.
Personally I am so happy they took charms out.
Potentially charms could be replaced by mantels. There could be an attack boost one, of maybe a defence one etc.

Hoping armour skills etc are in but with more/better worded effects. Some of the early stuff forced me to check websites just to see what it did.

Also hope the farm will return. It makes sense with the way Capcom is streamlining resource gathering etc.

BBboy20

Wow, what is this game? Some dark souls ripoff?
Futurama-Fry.jpg

Syril

For some reason, this image made me realize we've come a longs way.
Yeah, you'd never think Felynes used to be the ones who would constantly chase you around to suicide bomb you while you were fighting a wyvern.
Have you been living under the rock since the ps2 days?
Hey be fair, the closest thing Monster Hunter got to coverage here in the ps2 days from most sources was "monsters move away while I'm comboing them 6/10".

meppi

Finally Was able to watch the video.

Don't know what it is exactly, but it's not grabbing me like any of the past games.
I'm not averse to changing up thing to make them better, but it just feels off to me. :-/
There's still plenty of time to put everything together so I'm hoping that in a couple of months it'll look better.
The whole video being basically a scripted tutorial certainly didn't help either.
Hopefully that's just very early on, and it gets dropped quickly as the game opens up.
It just looked really hokey.

AALLx

I am incapable of speaking for the series objectively now so I cannot judge how welcoming MH World is (or the past few MHs as well).

But my first MH, Freedom Unite, was a really hard sell for me.
First time I played it, I was just messing around with a friend's PSP. Saw the game, booted it up, killed a few Aptanoths(?), couldn't roast a meat properly, got frustrated, closed the game and dismissed it.
Decided to come back to it after my brother proposed we play it in co-op.
My first Gendrome was a series of frustrations.
My first Bulldrome was a series of frustrations.
My first Congolala was a series of frustrations.
Eventually it got better and the game finally clicked, but it was a long arduous journey before I finally appreciated the game.

The game does ask for a bit more patience from players compared to even Dark Souls. Not sure how Capcom can fix that without ruining what makes Monster Hunter.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Western gamers are not gonna want to sift through and combo specific items for specific missions, or read a wiki to see what bullet does what damage to what monster for their gun. They are gonna want a few options to choose from handed to them so they can go. There are so many tenets of MH that are offputting to western play styles, graphics fidelity is low on the totem pole.

The is also much more responsibility required in MH. Forget your whetstones? Unless you're in a rare level in which you can gather them (or you remembered to bring a pickaxe - learning curve alert) you're fucked. The game punishes you heavily for not being prepared or preparing poorly. Dark Souls has none of these issues.

It looks like they're already tackling the preparation issue, among other things. From what I gathered from the footage/commentary, you'll be able to access more stuff from the camps than before, due to the size/nature of the maps. You can even change weapons, which is a nice new QoL feature even for long-time fans. There are also multiple camps in each map, which you can warp between, so perhaps that will factor in.

The Quest Lady is also present at camps now, so it seems you'll be able to switch/juggle quests on the fly. If you find you're not prepared for something, you can just return to camp and sign up for something else (again, more in-tune with the open field approach).

Your general points about learning the weapons, monsters and systems are valid, and a lot of the game will require some careful onboarding. Having multiple tutorials built into one quest (that you can complete without returning to the hub) might be a more friendly approach, for example. But we have yet to see how they'll handle this, so I can see how it might raise concerns.

While I'm not a huge fan of the guide bugs in their current form, they (and actual monster tracking) seem to be more fleshed-out, yet more accessible versions of Paintballs/Psychoserum. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume that the devs are considering how they might streamline other areas for newcomers, without alienating fans of the established formula/charm.

When I started with MH I got my ass handed to me by the Great Jaggi about 20 times before I figured out how the Great Sword worked. I have an extraordinary amount of patience. Most western gamers don't.

The act of even learning a weapon in Monster Hunter is a time consuming exercise. Nevermind mastering how to use it situationally against a monster. After that comes the tedium of the initial "pick shit" and "kill tiny monsters" that force you to learn the systems. I may have been way behind the curve with the Great Jaggi, but I wager most people will encounter that massive difficulty spike with the first boss and get completely overwhelmed. I fnd most seasoned Monster Hunter players are the ones who bear down and work though the adversity. Most people though will drop the game like a hot powderstone.

I think that whole line of thinking is way overrated. Sure, there are going to be a number of people who were always interested but not enough to pick up a handheld or a Nintendo console if they didn't already have one, but the biggest barrier to entry for the series is and has always been the steep learning curve and the punishing item system.

If you need 20 tries to beat a freakin Great Jaggi than MH is not your game.

Dark Souls is far more binary than Monster Hunter is. Dark Souls is a punishingly hard game, but the rules of Dark Souls are pretty straightforward for the most part. Bosses are hard, but follow comparatively simple patterns. The most difficult thing to figure out is the weapon upgrade system.

Monster Hunter is more complex, especially to start. In order to be a proficient MH player you have to learn your weapon, learn the Monster, learn how to use items and remember to take certain items on certain missions, and farm those items continuously. Fetch quests are also a huge part of the game.

All the things you mention are really and I mean REALLY simple things to learn. It's not like weapons have 20 combos. Hell even the monsters have limited combos/moves. Quest preperation is a given, there are 5 items or so that are a must to take with, learn it once and that's it.

I'm sorry but if these are the reasons you don't like MH then it's simply not your game. This has nothing to do with mainstream or not. Even casuals can learn patterns and basics otherwise every game would be the same (aka Ubisoft open world games).

If you need 20 tries to beat a freakin Great Jaggi than MH is not your game.

When I started out MH, I got my ass kicked by the Giaprey quest on PSP a whole bunch of times. These games are not easy to get into, even more so if you end up picking a large slow weapon and are just trying to get acclimated with the breadth of options available and systems at play.

AALLx

All the things you mention are really and I mean REALLY simple things to learn. It's not like weapons have 20 combos. Hell even the monsters have limited combos/moves. Quest preperation is a given, there are 5 items or so that are a must to take with, learn it once and that's it.

I'm sorry but if these are the reasons you don't like MH then it's simply not your game. This has nothing to do with mainstream or not. Even casuals can learn patterns and basics otherwise every game would be the same (aka Ubisoft open world games).

Is English not your native language? You seem to have some reading comprehension issues. He doesn't NOT like Monster Hunter, he's pointing out the reasons why he believe the game does not have mainstream appeal. And he's mostly right. The problem with most <insert game here> veterans are that they sometimes forget to look outside their own perspective and see why certain things can be offputting to other people.

But it took me a while to get used to fighting the Great Jaggi. That was my first MH game at the time so I can relate.

Wow.. I don't know what to say to be honest. This sounds insane to me. It took me only 1-2 tries to kill my very first Ian and Los in MH1. I never had much trouble in any MH but I have to say I have the patience of a rock and learn patterns very quickly.

Delio

Wow.. I don't know what to say to be honest. This sounds insane to me. It took me only 1-2 tries to kill my very first Ian and Los in MH1. I never had much trouble in any MH but I have to say I have the patience of a rock and learn patterns very quickly.

Its not that I was impatient. I just had never played a MH game so I was trying to find a weapon that worked for me. Also learning how to dodge effectively.

spiritfox

Ok. Good for you.

AALLx

Good job being a Monster Hunter prodigy, I guess? Do understand that most people are probably not as amazing as you are, you gaming genius.

Is English not your native language? You seem to have some reading comprehension issues. He doesn't NOT like Monster Hunter, he's pointing out the reasons why he believe the game does not have mainstream appeal. And he's mostly right. The problem with most <insert game here> veterans are that they sometimes forget to look outside their own perspective and see why certain things can be offputting to other people.

No need to get mad. When I said the game is not for you, I meant the public that doesn't like the stuff he mentioned, not that poster specifically.

If the things that poster mentioned steer you away from MH then the game is not for you. The vets don't forget other people no, the vets know what makes MH great.

Great post.

I started with Tri, but I sure as hell didn't finish it. Barroth was my wall like a lot of people, but I eventually got past it (I can't remember how far I made it). I do remember struggling against the Great Jaggi, too. Not only because it was hitting like a truck, but because I was struggling with my weapon, too (Switch Axe). I enjoyed the challenge the game gave me, and I put around 50 hours or so, but I didn't get far because I didn't know how to be efficient, and the farming for shit got to me (didn't help that I didn't switch weapons, even though I wasn't finding the SA to be the most fun due to my ignorance).

It feels like such a long time ago now, but I'm glad my appreciation for the game followed me to 3U, where I really found my stride and became a huge fan of the series. Imagine what could have been if I weren't willing to give things a second chance? No MH in my life till World, probably! Scary to think about.

The moment things "click" in MH... it's great. But, yeah, I'm not surprised many people give up on the games for the reasons we mentioned. Patience really is (was?) a virtue (I do most of MH solo).

No need to get mad. When I said the game is not for you, I meant the public that doesn't like the stuff he mentioned, not that poster specifically.

If the things that poster mentioned steer you away from MH then the game is not for you. The vets don't forget other people no, the vets know what makes MH great.

What makes MH great is being obtuse for beginners, shitty tutorials and a lack of guidance?

No, I don't think so.

PKrockin

MH isn't an easy game to get into but I'm pretty confident 20 tries to beat Great Jaggi is a distant outlier. First quest I went on was Bulldrome in Freedom Unite and I'm pretty sure I beat him in my first try, maybe second. I had some practice from playing the 3U demo a few times but on the other hand I was doing the harder gathering hall quest, not realizing village quests were a thing.

Good job being a Monster Hunter prodigy, I guess? Do understand that most people are probably not as amazing as you are, you gaming genius.

You seem to be getting mad. MH simply requires you to learn the weapons, monsters and quest preperation. Most people having trouble with this are acting like the game is very complex but I think it comes down to having patience and learning.

Weapons have basic combos (well the most at least), monsters have limited moves, the items that are mandatory (like pots, meat, whetstones etc.) are only a handful.

These are fundamentals of MH and if you can't cope with that then again, this game is not for you.

Kinsei

Banned
I can see someone taking 20+ tries on a Great Jaggi. It took me around ten tries to kill my very first Velocidrome and that's a much easier monster. Then again I was using the lance, a weapon I am horrendous with even to this day.

What makes MH great is being obtuse for beginners, shitty tutorials and a lack of guidance?

No, I don't think so.

Well that's the thing. I was also a beginner when starting MH1. But I didn't need tutorial or guidance (well stuff like cooking meat and whetstones etc. was good to know) to enjoy the game. I learned by hunting and playing with others, that to me makes MH great.

I bet I will get more "you so best" shitposts on me but MHW is already adding a lot of QoL improvements while still staying true to MH. I mean what more do people want? Like I said the game simply might not be for you if you want to completely overhaul the game to go mainstream.

Well that's the thing. I was also a beginner when starting MH1. But I didn't need tutorial or guidance (well stuff like cooking meat and whetstones etc. was good to know) to enjoy the game. I learned by hunting and playing with others, that to me makes MH great.

I bet I will get more "you so best" shitposts on me but MHW is already adding a lot of QoL improvements while still staying true to MH. I mean what more do people want? Like I said the game simply might not be for you if you want to completely overhaul the game to go mainstream.
I think this is his point.MHW will not sell as much as Capcom want because it's never gonna to even as mainstream as Souls.

Delio

Great post.

I started with Tri, but I sure as hell didn't finish it. Barroth was my wall like a lot of people, but I eventually got past it (I can't remember how far I made it). I do remember struggling against the Great Jaggi, too. Not only because it was hitting like a truck, but because I was struggling with my weapon, too (Switch Axe). I enjoyed the challenge the game gave me, and I put around 50 hours or so, but I didn't get far because I didn't know how to be efficient, and the farming for shit got to me (didn't help that I didn't switch weapons, even though I wasn't finding the SA to be the most fun due to my ignorance).

It feels like such a long time ago now, but I'm glad my appreciation for the game followed me to 3U, where I really found my stride and became a huge fan of the series. Imagine what could have been if I weren't willing to give things a second chance? No MH in my life till World, probably! Scary to think about.

The moment things "click" in MH... it's great. But, yeah, I'm not surprised many people give up on the games for the reasons we mentioned. Patience really is (was?) a virtue (I do most of MH solo).

Yeah I started in Tri and despite taking a bit to get used to the Great Jaggi I became a fan.

Finally Was able to watch the video.

Don't know what it is exactly, but it's not grabbing me like any of the past games.
I'm not averse to changing up thing to make them better, but it just feels off to me. :-/
There's still plenty of time to put everything together so I'm hoping that in a couple of months it'll look better.
The whole video being basically a scripted tutorial certainly didn't help either.
Hopefully that's just very early on, and it gets dropped quickly as the game opens up.
It just looked really hokey.

I'm getting this feeling as well.

The two things that appear different to me right now is that it seems to move alot slower than previous games and it seems to be lacking colour.

I think this is his point.MHW will not sell as much as Capcom want because it's never gonna to even as mainstream as Souls.

Well if that is his point then it's a fair point. I don't see a reason to compare it with Souls though, completely different beast.

Souls has a story driven campaign, normal enemies, mini bosses, big bosses and leveling up system. MH is more like an arena fighter with no real story, you go straight for the boss (depending on the quest of course).

Well if that is his point then it's a fair point. I don't see a reason to compare it with Souls though, completely different beast.

Souls has a story driven campaign, normal enemies, mini bosses, big bosses and leveling up system. MH is more like an arena fighter with no real story, you go straight for the boss (depending on the quest of course).
It's the comparison since both series are known to be "hard" games or hard to learn games.

TbH I sucks @ both and still enjoys both greatly but I have to say the learning curve for souls is lower.

No one's asking for an overhaul. Having better tutorials is not an overhaul. Being less obtuse is not an overhaul. Giving new players some direction so they don't get frustrated because they were thrown to the wolves is not an overhaul.

I have tons of patience when it comes to games. I love MH despite getting my ass kicked when I first started by monsters that are extremely easy to me now. That does not, in any way, make those issues less problematic.

popyea

I always thought it was more mainstream though? I have MH friends who I keep recommending try Souls or Bloodborne, and they always get stuck and quit. And this is despite really liking the setting and tone of these games. I think there is actually a huge number of people who play MH in a more casual style, sticking to a weapon they understand and using multiplayer as much as they can. It may not be as popular currently, but I think it has more potential to capture an audience than Souls, which has obfuscation kind of built into it's design.

Top Bottom