• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K closes studio in Prague (Mafia series)

Pachimari

Would it come as a surprise if they cancelled Mafia III? (I don't think it's cancelled personally). I mean, they were in development hell through the Mafia II development.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would it come as a surprise if they cancelled Mafia III? (I don't think it's cancelled personally). I mean, they were in development hell through the Mafia II development.
While true, that's also true of basically everything Take-Two makes.

Spec Ops: 5 years
Darkness 2: 4 - 5 years
Infinite: 5.5 years
XCOM TPS: 6 - 7 years

Rockstar tends to have similar development lengths even for things like Max Payne.

I think Take-Two is finally starting to get more concerned though and cutting back.

Rod Fergusson is known for running a very efficient and timely operation, so killing Marin and putting him in charge of a new studio is a statement of sorts about development time.

Pachimari

While true, that's also true of basically everything Take-Two makes.

Spec Ops: 5 years
Darkness 2: 4 - 5 years
Infinite: 5.5 years
XCOM TPS: 6 - 7 years

Rockstar tends to have similar development lengths even for things like Max Payne.

I think Take-Two is finally starting to get more concerned though and cutting back.

Rod Fergusson is known for running a very efficient and timely operation, so killing Marin and putting him in charge of a new studio is a statement of sorts about development time.
Yeah you're right. I don't think Take-Two want use resources and send Rockstar to help out with the Mafia development again.

Quentyn

Update from superannuation. Someone sent him a DM a couple of days that said the development of Mafia 3 has indeed moved to Rod Fergusson's new studio. He is still tweeting about it. https://twitter.com/supererogatory

k4aWvwp.png

and the trend continues, more studios closing, damn I hope that those without a job find one soon. I hope this generation does not continue the trend as that would mean less games, less devs, less risk by pubs impacting creativity.

Quentyn

Screenshot of the DM:

BdomgdhCYAAhJX6.png

The person says that Fergusson's studio will be starting from scratch. But superannuation is not 100 % sure that's true.

sn00zer

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

EDIT Mafia 2 was one of my favorite games really ope mafia 3 is stil coming

So Mafia 3 is done for? I know 2K aren't doing too great but I thought that game was close to being finished.

Sounds like they are just consolidating the studios . . . wouldn't Mafia 3 (assuming it exists) just continue along at Brno?

Edit: Or perhaps Mafia 3 is at the new 2K studio in California. Sounds good to me.

So did they just axe an entire game midway through development?

Whats left for 2k as far as studios?

Firaxas
Irrational
Gears of war guy studio
Visual Concepts
WWE studio

and everything rockstar?
Cat Daddy . . . but I wouldn't be surprised if they get closed.

Here is what Wiki says:

2K Games in Novato, California, founded in 2005[4]
2K Australia in Canberra, Australia, founded in 2000 as part of Irrational games
2K China in Shanghai, China, founded in 2006
2K Czech in Brno, Czech Republic, founded in 1997 as Illusion Softworks, acquired in 2007[5]
2k Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada, founded in 2013
2K Marin in Novato, California, founded in 2007 as part of Irrational games
Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley, Maryland, founded in 1996, acquired on November 7, 2005.[6]
Irrational Games in Quincy, Massachusetts, founded in 1997, acquired in 2006, formerly 2K Boston/Australia (2007–2010)
2K Play in Ontario, Canada, founded as Global Star Software in 1992, acquired in 1999, name changed September 10, 2007
Cat Daddy Games in Kirkland, Washington
2K Sports in Novato, California, founded in January 2005
Visual Concepts in Novato, California, acquired from Sega in January 2005
But I guess 2K Marin is now dead. I never heard of 2K Vegas.

DrXym

I liked Mafia, I thought Mafia 2 stunk. The game I really liked was Hidden & Dangerous 2 which was a really good WWII shooter / tactical game.

Top Bottom