• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 arrested for trashing Trump supporters sign, pulling gun on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
This election is crazy. I feel like no matter who wins, we are getting scarily close to another assassination attempt. Every single candidate is just so polarizing. It's sad that hilary is the least polarizing of the candidates.

I think you're underestimating how much some Republicans hate Hillary. My friends and family in Idaho would rather see just about anyone else in office, sans Hitler.

What's the plan for the millions of guns already owned and in circulation? Liberals make this sound way easier than it would be to actually pull off.

I don't think you could do anything about that realistically, but you could stop the manufacturing and sale of guns. Open-ended generous buyback programs. No more open- or concealed-carry. Obviously, it would take decades, but it's not impossible.

However, I'd be happy with just requiring training to own a gun, and don't understand why that's such a infringement on something that is a vague "right."

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Their point of the second amendment is that we have a right to bear arms against our government if it becomes tyrannical. At least that is how I interpret it.

People wouldn't stand a chance against your government. Nobody cares or knows enough about what is going on anyway.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think you're underestimating how much some Republicans hate Hillary. My friends and family in Idaho would rather see just about anyone else in office, sans Hitler.

Of my Republican friends who don't like Trump, some are warming up to Hillary and see her as a corporate puppet who will just maintain status quo. Bernie is the nightmare candidate for fiscal conservatives.

However, I'd be happy with just requiring training to own a gun, and don't understand why that's such a infringement on something that is a vague "right."

Agreed.

Do you know what an amendment is? It's a change. If you can change to constitution to allow bearing firearms it can just as easily be changed to not allow them. How about just make a 28th amendment that states 'the government is not allowed to become tyrannical, and people are not allowed to own guns.' Hence, there would be no reason to have a 2nd amendment.
And how would you define such a thing clearly and precisely in legal terms? I merely stated my personal interpretation of the amendment. No need to insult my intellect.

So why are the gun lovers voting in their droves for the candidate that's most likely to be a tyrant?
I found one never claimed to like guns. I hate them in fact. I also never claimed that most people are intelligent.

and in a sad twist it's the people that are becoming the tyrants.
It is sad indeed.

Their point of the second amendment is that we have a right to bear arms against our government if it becomes tyrannical. At least that is how I interpret it.

How are armed citizens going to put up any kind of real fight against the US military? This is just silly reasoning.

Shit, they'd just use drone strikes all day, every day...

Jarmel

Banned
That neighbor is amazing, man was willing to get into a gunfight out of nowhere.

Fuck, I doubt most of my family would have done that.

Nightbird

You know, this made a lot of sense when the amendment has been introduced, but not today where the government can use planes, tanks and drones.
What is gun-bearing Patriot #3501 going to do against that?

You know, this made a lot of sense when the amendment has been introduced, but not today where the government can use planes, tanks and drones.
No, really? Of course it made sense then. I was merely stating my interpretation of what the people that wrote the amendment.

Picture of the perps:

4BsYa6K.jpg

“Saying Spanish words. I don't know what they were saying!” said Grant.

Replace Kasich with Jeb, and you got something!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

and if Trump is in office, we might just need them (until heat seeking guided missiles from drones wipes out all rebels because we didn't real stand a chance now).

qcf x2

Take out his/her pistol/rifle and re-enact his/her favorite childhood movie like the delusional citizen that he/she is. No really, guns today are for protecting your household from the black thugs that do regular home invasions with their deadly weapons, who especially love threatening your children. Either that or shooting cans and pretending that said scenario is taking place. I have yet to see an alternative use case.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Take out his/her pistol/rifle and re-enact his/her favorite childhood movie like the delusional citizen that he/she is. No really, guns today are for protecting your household from the black thugs that do regular home invasions with their deadly weapons, who especially love threatening your children. Either that or shooting cans and pretending that said scenario is taking place. I have yet to see an alternative use case.

Turns out they're pretty handy to bring along when you want to rip a sign out of someones yard

How about when you want to rip a political sign out of a person's yard and then threaten them afterward?

devilhawk

I don't think you could do anything about that realistically, but you could stop the manufacturing and sale of guns. Open-ended generous buyback programs. No more open- or concealed-carry. Obviously, it would take decades, but it's not impossible.

That's fair. The only guns I own are shotguns and required a safety training course to use them (but not to simply own). I wouldn't be opposed to requiring the training to purchase.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

Depends on where you live. I have to take a gun and spotlight with me every night just to let my dogs out. Coyotes are a bitch.

Piggus

Do you know what an amendment is? It's a change. If you can change to constitution to allow bearing firearms it can just as easily be changed to not allow them. How about just make a 28th amendment that states 'the government is not allowed to become tyrannical, and people are not allowed to own guns.' Hence, there would be no reason to have a 2nd amendment.

Watch out, we got a constitutional expert over here.

Good luck getting voters on board with that one.

Hunting is still a pretty big thing. Hell, I live in Missouri, and my job guarantees the first weekend of rifle hunting season off every year. I don't hunt, but I work with a lot of people that do.

Khaz

You do realize that there are more guns circulating than people in this country, right?

How exactly do you propose arresting millions upon millions of people?

Damn you're right. It's too late, we can't solve this problem any more. I think... I think we should just give up.

Nipo

How are armed citizens going to put up any kind of real fight against the US military? This is just silly reasoning.

Shit, they'd just use drone strikes all day, every day...

Same way insurgents do in other countries? I imagine if it ever came to US citizens fighting the US military there would be mass defections and of certain units and they'd bring some hardware along too.

darscot

I have to admit I would have trouble being around Trump supporters. I'm not surprised this type of thing is happening.

What's the plan for the millions of guns already owned and in circulation? Liberals make this sound way easier than it would be to actually pull off.

State Funded buy back schemes
Voluntary Surrender after that point
Anyone found to be in possession of the gun has it confiscated and a fine issued for the first year
Any public drawing or usage of a firearm is given a prison sentence
Production and sale of ammunition is outlawed
Every registered gun owner gets issued with a request for firearm relinquishment.

MJPIA

I know this turned into a thread about gun control but fwiw some more details about the original topic:
http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/n...cle_c600576e-e57e-11e5-aa91-9f9fe7864564.html
David Grant doesn’t think it was a political statement. He just thinks a teenager who took a presidential campaign sign for Donald Trump from his yard, crumpled it up and tossed it into the street didn’t think he was going to get caught.

The teenager and two others with him didn’t know that Grant and family members were sitting in the yard and watched it happen.

From there, the incident escalated to the men threatening Grant with a handgun and the three being arrested on multiple charges, including gang-related charges.

“When I hollered at them, the other two jumped across the road, and the other one jumped out in the middle of the road,” Grant said. “You could tell they were surprised someone saw them. He turned around and was like ‘uh-oh’ and then they turned around and started walking away a little faster. It isn’t anything new. We have even had people drive by the house with paintball guns shooting up the house. We have a lot of Christmas displays and they have been vandalized in the past.”

“I have had it done before,” Grant said about having a gun pulled on him. “It wasn’t anything scary. With these kids, you can pick who is going to pull the trigger. If they aren’t really scared and in fear of their life, they aren’t pulling the trigger, they are just trying to intimidate you. I never feared for my life or anything like that.”
He was the one there so I guess I'll trust his judgement but his and my definition of scary are two entirely different things it seems.

Nipo

Anyone found to be in possession of the gun has it confiscated and a fine issued for the first year
Every registered gun owner gets issued with a request for firearm relinquishment.

There is no registry of gun owners to prevent exactly what you're describing.

Unless public opinion changes you'd never get a conviction for someone having a gun unless you also get rid of jury nullification.

There is no registry of gun owners to prevent exactly what you're describing.

Unless public opinion changes you'd never get a conviction for someone having a gun unless you also get rid of jury nullification.

Sorry are you telling me gun owners are not registered?

This election is crazy. I feel like no matter who wins, we are getting scarily close to another assassination attempt. Every single candidate is just so polarizing. It's sad that hilary is the least polarizing of the candidates.
For a lot of people she's the most polarizing. My dad and brother think she's a criminal that should be in jail right now.

Nipo

Sorry are you telling me gun owners are not registered?

Of course not..... You need a license for CCW in some states but pretty much anyone can go to a gun show and buy a rifle with cash and never even show ID.

There are over 300 million guns in the US. They are passed down to family members when someone dies, given away as gifts etc.

Of course not..... You need a license for CCW in some states but pretty much anyone can go to a gun show and buy a rifle with cash and never even show ID.

There are over 300 million guns in the US. They are passed down to family members when someone dies, given away as gifts etc.

Literally madness.

Khaz

- Ban open and conceal carry. You can keep your previously purchased gun, but only in the privacy of your own house. Anyone spotted with a firearm outside is stopped, mighty fined and the weapon confiscated.
- concurrently edit a new license to carry a firearm, designed for hunters and sports shooters. After a test, they can carry their weapons in designated areas, at certain times for the hunters. Carrying a weapon from/to these locations has to be done safely (weapon disassembled, lock on the trigger, etc.)
- Ban the sale of firearms outside of strictly regulated dealers, which have to check the licenses and register every gun sold. No more gun shows, etc. A license doesn't allow for more than a couple of firearms. Losing one doesn't reset the counter, you can own a new one if you bring the old one back.

Once this is done, you can start regulating the ownership-at-home-without-a-license, by organising buyouts. After a while, when the outrage died out, you can pass laws regulating the storage of firearms at home, and allow for confiscation if the house is raided for another reason. Then tighten, and tighten again...

There. I solved your problem.

Hip Hop

- Ban open and conceal carry. You can keep your previously purchased gun, but only in the privacy of your own house. Anyone spotted with a firearm outside is stopped, mighty fined and the weapon confiscated.
- concurrently edit a new license to carry a firearm, designed for hunters and sports shooters. After a test, they can carry their weapons in designated areas, at certain times for the hunters. Carrying a weapon from/to these locations has to be done safely (weapon disassembled, lock on the trigger, etc.)
- Ban the sale of firearms outside of strictly regulated dealers, which have to check the licenses and register every gun sold. No more gun shows, etc. A license doesn't allow for more than a couple of firearms. Losing one doesn't reset the counter, you can own a new one if you bring the old one back.

Once this is done, you can start regulating the ownership-at-home-without-a-license, by organising buyouts. After a while, when the outrage died out, you can pass laws regulating the storage of firearms at home, and allow for confiscation if the house is raided for another reason. Then tighten, and tighten again...

There. I solved your problem.
You're missing a very important part. Getting support, actually passing, and enforcing such thing.

Piggus

Besides the fact that this is virtually impossible, please explain how such a law would even get passed in the first place.

I don't know why you guys waste your time fantasizing about a ban as if it's even in the realm of possibility. It's like as if a huge meteor were a year away from hitting the earth and the "solution" that comes to people's mind is "well why don't we just send everyone to Mars? Duh!"

RPGCrazied

You're missing a very important part. Getting support, actually passing, and enforcing such thing.

Better hope a democrat gets to be President. If its a Republican they will make it even easier to get a gun, and make open carry in a lot of places. Trump wants open carry in all schools.

What a tool.

The fact people even want guns is insane. It's like the US is made up of children.

"Hey, these things that cause lots of horrible murders are getting taken away because some people didn't play nice with them"

"BUT MY FREEDOM"

"well sure, we understand you value that but we don't let you buy heroine because it's a negative to society, we now deem guns are too so we are stopping those"

"FREEDOM"

"but"

"FREEDOM"

Besides the fact that this is virtually impossible, please explain how such a law would even get passed in the first place.

I don't know why you guys waste your time fantasizing about a ban as if it's even in the realm of possibility. It's like as if a huge meteor were a year away from hitting the earth and the "solution" that comes to people's mind is "well why don't we just send everyone to Mars? Duh!"

Australia did it.
Britain did it

But no, the answer must be to just forget about it and let people keep toting guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom