• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 years ago, WrestleMania III defined the Granddaddy of Them All

Status
Not open for further replies.
WrestleManiaIII.jpg

Three decades ago, the biggest match in professional wrestling history (a distinction that it arguably still holds) helped to create the show that would become the true precursor to what we now call WrestleMania. Sure, 1 and 2 were in their own rights historic shows, but they were in many ways overshadowed by the efforts of the NWA Starrcade pay-per-views. It was WrestleMania III that would define the sort of spectacle and grandeur the show would reach for. Bigger! Better! Badder! was the tagline, and the change to Roman numerals to emulate the Super Bowl all screamed "This is the one," and this was the dream Vince always had of WrestleMana
Added caveat: In his head, it was called the Colossal Tussle.

So just how great was this show? Well...

Dave Meltzer said:
The Can-Am Connection (Rick Martel & Tom Zenk) vs. Bob Orton & The Magnificent Muraco (w/Mr. Fuji) = **1/2
Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules (w/Bobby Heenan) = **3/4
Haiti Kid, Hillbilly Jim & Little Beaver vs. King Kong Bundy, Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook = *
King Harley Race (w/Bobby Heenan & The Fabulous Moolah) vs. The Junkyard Dog = *
The Dream Team (Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine) (w/Dino Bravo & Johnny V) vs. The Rougeau Brothers (Jacques Rougeau & Raymond Rougeau) = *1/2
Roddy Piper vs. Adrian Adonis (w/Jimmy Hart) = ***1/2
The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Danny Davis & Jim Neidhart) (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith & The Dynamite Kid) & Tito Santana = **3/4
Butch Reed (w/Slick) vs. Koko B. Ware = 1/2*
Ricky Steamboat (w/George Steele) vs. Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) = ****1/2
The Honky Tonk Man (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Jake Roberts (w/Alice Cooper) = **1/2
Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik (w/Slick) vs. The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell) = *1/2
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant (w/Bobby Heenan) = -**** (yes, MINUS 4 stars)

So from a wrestling perspective, not exactly a great show outside of one match. Especially the main event. But that's missing the point of what makes this a special show: the sheer scale of it all.

An unprecedented 93,173 fans descended on the Pontiac Silverdome, and the WWF did not shy away from the perfect camera angles to truly sell the size of this crowd.
In reality, the true attendance of WM 3 was likely around 78,000. For the uninformed on this matter, many stadium events (including wrestling, concerts, etc) will inflate attendance figures for entertainment purposes, often by the tens of thousands. There's nothing nefarious about it, but in this case, it was done to ensure that no indoor event could possibly claim a larger record. What happened next was borderline Onion-esque. Pope John Paul II would actually come to the Silverdome and attract a larger crowd. It was certainly not bigger than the 93,173 figure reported for WrestleMania, so the Silverdome decided to create their own fake number for the Pope: 93,682.

In addition to the sheer size of the venue, as mentioned before, the main event was the biggest match in pro wrestling history: Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant. It was the true definition of The Unstoppable Force meets The Immovable Object. Was it a good match? No. In fact, it features Hogan who was not known for his quality matches in the WWF and Andre who could barely move. It sucks and probably deserves a minus 4 star rating. But dammit, is it something special to witness.

walkup.gif

andreslam.gif

Slam me, boss
bodyslamtoandre.gif

Just how big was this match, and wrestling in general, at the time? The rematch between this two on February 5, 1988 drew 33 million viewers and a 15.2 rating. Or about 10 times as many viewers as this week's Monday Night Raw achieved. WrestleMania 4 would feature an extraordinary crummy rematch as well, which would go 5 minutes and end in a double DQ. Despite that, it's still the featured match on the VHS cover, heh.

Of course, it all just intangible grandeur that defines this show. If it wasn't the Intercontinental Championship match, there wouldn't be much substance to this event at all. Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage went out there and put on the first truly great match the WWF had seen, and it would remain uncontested as the best match in the company for over 5 years. Some still believe it's the best match in WrestleMania history. I am not one of those people, but I still use this match as an example of why I love prowrestling so damn much.

There are wrestlers that believe this match is not that special, because Steamboat and Savage practiced it relentlessly to get everything perfect. They are wrong, and you'll find many of the most well-regarded wrestling matches were planned out in the same way.

So how has history treated the players in this event? Well....

Hulk Hogan would be exposed as a racist of the highest order on a sex tape by Gawker. He would then (with some help from everyone's favorite billionaire, Peter Thiel) utterly destroy Gawker in court. There were rumblings that Hogan would make an appearance this year at WrestleMania 33, but we seem to have dodged that bullet
Thank the Lord

The Pontiac Silverdome unfortunately is a dead husk. Though there has been attempts made to renovate and/or sell it off, those were for all for naught, and it is now scheduled for demolition SnakeSalute.jpg

Vince McMahon is now the uncontested king of professional wrestling. A mad king, that is. He may have been a genius in the past, but the quality and booking of the current product makes many question just how out of touch he is. Despite that and his age of 71, don't expect him to step down anytime soon.

Even in face of falling popularity of the overall product, WrestleMania itself continues to become bigger and bigger, regularly selling out stadium venues despite soaring ticket prices. Last year's show would finally achieve the dream of having over 93,000 people in the building, and in the process generated a massive $17.3 million gate. III's in comparison was $1.6 million.

Oh, and the stage this year is a fucking theme park:
THE ULTIMATE THRILL RIDE

Special credit to:
strobogo's www.legitshook.com for the gifs
Dave Meltzer and The Lapsed Fan discuss some of the backstory of the show, including going more in depth about the attendance facts.
OSW reviews WrestleMania III

norm9

I used to live a block away from a mom and pop rental store. I'd rent Wrestlemania 3-6 over and over again and my parents hated wrestling. Should have just dubbed them.

Jezbollah

Steamboat vs Savage saved this entire card. One of the best matches ever.

Piper vs Adonis was surprisingly acceptable.

Cagey

Banned
Biggest match in the industry's history and Big Dave gives it minus four stars but he'd declare 25 minutes of the Young Bucks and two generic 140 pound skinnyfat Japanese midgets doing backflips in front of 148 sweaty smart marks in a high school gymnasium a seven star classic.

Savage/Steamboat is one of the top 10 matches of all time. When I was a kid, I don't think I ever marked out as hard as I did when Hogan slammed Andre.

It defined the template for Wrestlemania, but was really not a great Wrestlemania. Though, to be honest, most Wrestlemanias are not purist events, they're for hangers-on and general fans. It's a different kind of show.

Savage / Steamboat stands as one of the greatest matches of all time, then you've got a lot of junk with some big name power.

Biggest match in the industry's history and Big Dave gives it minus four stars but he'd declare 25 minutes of the Young Bucks and two generic 140 pound skinnyfat Japanese midgets doing backflips in front of 148 sweaty smart marks in a high school gymnasium a seven star classic.

I legit laughed out loud

I still need to see this WM. I'll try to watch it within the next few days.

I'd suggest watching the OSW Review of this. Should be on YouTube unless WWE just purged youtube ahead of Wrestlemania. I'd suggest watching every OSW Review from their first run of the Hulkamania era... Just amazing commentary over these PPVs.

norm9

It defined the template for Wrestlemania, but was really not a great Wrestlemania. Though, to be honest, most Wrestlemanias are not purist events, they're for hangers-on and general fans. It's a different kind of show.

Savage / Steamboat stands as one of the greatest matches of all time, then you've got a lot of junk with some big name power.

I legit laughed out loud

The early Wrestleamanias suffer from too many matches. The newer Wresltemanias suffer from not enough of them.

I don't think 2017 Dave would give that match -4 stars

Bronx-Man

Banned

mjl.gif

Anth0ny

2017 Dave would give Hogan/Andre 4.5 stars for the crowd and the slam, Macho/Steamboat 6 stars, overall one of the greatest shows of all time.

How about OkadNO?

I'd suggest watching the OSW Review of this. Should be on YouTube unless WWE just purged youtube ahead of Wrestlemania. I'd suggest watching every OSW Review from their first run of the Hulkamania era... Just amazing commentary over these PPVs.
That's a good idea. I'll add it to the OP.

The Granddaddy of 'em All will always be Starrcade, but you're right. Starrcade was legit, but WM3 made it a competition wrestling wise.

I remember Michael Hayes saying he was watching WM3 with some wrestlers. They weren't really concerned about WWF at the time, because NWA affiliated organizations could always count on their superior wrestling as their niche. But they knew they were in trouble after that Steamboat vs Savage match, because now WWF had the sizzle and the steak. The glitz and the wrestling.

jwhit28

I legit laughed out loud

It's hard to find analysis on any subject as funny and as informative as OSW reviews. It's easy to give ratings to matches, but explaining the build up and the backstage stuff that influenced results is pretty rare to find.

The crowd reaction to the back body to the outside is great.

Savage takes those back bodies better than anyone. He's done them a few times in major matches and takes a serious bump on the outside, completely selling it.

He took a similar bump in Flair / Savage WM8.

Another thing that the current product would fuck up by cutting the camera to something else or *INTENSE SHAKING* on impact, which just ruins everything. Current product would cut the camera as soon as he goes up, and then you'd catch his impact hitting the floor with *INTENSE SHAKE*. So you'd miss how he has both hands on the rope, miss how the crowd loses it for that move, and also miss his 10 foot drop.

It's cool, The Butcher main-evented Starrcade 94 against the Hulkster...

RIP WCW

HE BUTCHERED A FRIENDSHIP

Hasney

He gave Hogan V Andre 4 stars? Damn, be was generous even way back then.

I mean he gave Roman vs Strawman 4 stars so it's not like he doesn't like boring ass matches with two big stiff fucks that can't work.

TwiztidElf

That Savage/Steamboat bout.....wow. Always a favorite.

No mention of the Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse Ventura commentary?
Two absolute pro's at the top of their game. The chemistry was phenomenal, and their commentary is what truly puts the show over the top.
Best wrestling commentary team ever.

1XP6QKg.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember when he slammed Andre in the SuperDome. Good times.

Clegg

Savage takes those back bodies better than anyone. He's done them a few times in major matches and takes a serious bump on the outside, completely selling it.

He took a similar bump in Flair / Savage WM8.

Another thing that the current product would fuck up by cutting the camera to something else or *INTENSE SHAKING* on impact, which just ruins everything. Current product would cut the camera as soon as he goes up, and then you'd catch his impact hitting the floor with *INTENSE SHAKE*. So you'd miss how he has both hands on the rope, miss how the crowd loses it for that move, and also miss his 10 foot drop.

HE BUTCHERED A FRIENDSHIP
I like how they​ kept it at a fast pace. The moves may be a bit basic by modern standards but because everything went so smoothly it didn't matter one jot.

hobozero

Wasn't Andre putting off back surgery to do the match, and was in agony the entire time? And he still let that skullet wearing racist slam him? Class act, man.

I keep pinned to the wall in my office:

66K3m.jpg

The Granddaddy of 'em All will always be Starrcade, but you're right. Starrcade was legit, but WM3 made it a competition wrestling wise.

I remember Michael Hayes saying he was watching WM3 with some wrestlers. They weren't really concerned about WWF at the time, because NWA affiliated organizations could always count on their superior wrestling as their niche. But they knew they were in trouble after that Steamboat vs Savage match, because now WWF had the sizzle and the steak. The glitz and the wrestling.
It's kind of odd. WM 1 and 2 got the celebrity thing going and going hard, but their production was just atrocious. 1 looks like it takes place in a high school gym, and Starrcade would do the multicity venue gimmick much better.

I remember when he slammed Andre in the SuperDome. Good times.
cvpyGiu.gif

HeySeuss

I hated, hated, hated Hogan when I was a kid and wanted so badly for Andre to pick him up by his legs and rip Hogan in half. But sadly that did not happen. Nobody I knew disliked Hogan and I was the only person who liked the bad guys because they were so much more entertaining.

Bobby Heenan was my favorite manager. And with him, Andre, and The Million Dollar Man I was so happy when they screwed Hogan over. That twin ref bit was the craziest thing I ever saw. Watched that happen live and I was running around the house at 1am (was on a Saturday nights main event) and my dad was so pissed that Hogan got screwed he yelled at me and told me I was grounded lol. I wish wrestling still made me care like that.

Banned member strobogo made a pretty solid case for why Hogan-Andre is not only a good match, but the best of the show.

I think I remember Al Snow making the same argument.
I've read the argument before. The story and spectacle are fantastic, and that counts for a lot. And it was probably the best match they could have, but it's still awful ring work. There's a couple of absolutely bizarre moments too, like babyface Hogan trying to kill Andre with a piledriver on the outside, which itself leads to the slowest back body drop you will ever see.

Zach

Snowman Prophet of Doom, Biggest-Geek-Ever, and I will have a Hogan/Andre watch party later tonight to determine an Official WrassleGAF Rating for the match.

Stay tuned, fans.

I've read the argument before. The story and spectacle are fantastic, and that counts for a lot. And it was probably the best match they could have, but it's still awful ring work. There's a couple of absolutely bizarre moments too, like babyface Hogan trying to kill Andre with a piledriver on the outside, which itself leads to the slowest back body drop you will ever see.

I think his basic contention is that the match has a really strong story and is absolutely the match you would expect those two guys and characters to have, and it does exactly what it needed to. Whereas Steamboat/Savage is superficially "better", in the sense that it stands out from the WWF's working style at the time, but that matches like it, in terms of both story and style, had been done better in Japan and Mexico for well over a decade prior, and the story is disjointed and the booking questionable, given Savage, the heel, "wins" but loses because there was a ref bump. Honestly, having seen both, I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

The Hogan vs. Andre fight is a classic that everyone remembers but I mostly enjoy Wrestemania III for the Ricky Steamboat vs. Macho Man fight. It's probably one of my favorite wrestling matches.

Hydrus

Man, I've been so nostalgic for wrestling. I miss the hell out of it. I grew up in the attitude era and miss when all these wrestlers were larger than life characters that you only saw on TV and knew nothing about them outside of it. I kind of hate the internet and social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom