• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

19 years ago today, The Undertaker threw Mankind off HIAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMp65SzyTU

Probably the craziest spot to take place during WWF's Attitude Era. Foley is one tough son of a gun

Following the conclusion of the Rock/Shamrock tournament final, Mankind entered the King of the Ring, steel chair in hand, and immediately climbed to the top of the 16-foot, two-ton steel cage that surrounded the ring. The unconventional development was met with wild encouragement from the Pittsburgh fans in attendance.

In a prelude to the severe bodily punishment that both men were to inflict upon each other, a small section of the cage roof caved in during a brief brawl between the combatants. Highlighting the very real danger involved in the staging of a Hell in a Cell match, the mesh gave way under the weight of the Undertaker and Mankind, and both had to steady themselves to avoid falling to the ground below.

Shortly after the one-minute mark, the Undertaker blocked a DDT attempt from Mankind and, in a sickeningly swift movement that would go on to become the most memorable moment in pro-wrestling history, threw his opponent off the cage. Akin to the collective gasp that met Jimmy Snuka’s bodysplash 15 years earlier, the Pittsburgh crowd erupted at the sight of Mankind free-falling through five metres of air before crashing into the Spanish announcers table at ringside.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...trospective-look-at-the-undertaker-vs-mankind

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
First wrestling PPV I ever bought. Having not watched since the Hogan era, I was shocked. I assumed the spot was a legit accident. It cemented Mick Foley as a legend.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Did they not tell the production crew about the spot? That is some shitty camera work.

Dynomutt

I remember when I realized Paul Bearer = pallbearer as in one of the people carrying the casket in a funeral procession.

Man wresting used to be good that was one hell of a rivalry gory too!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What a night that was. I remember goin wild in the living room with my brothers when that happened. Just wild, throwin pillows, spilling drinks and shit.

Viewt

I saw this on tape a couple years later in middle school. It's still one of the craziest videos I've ever seen. Top-tier stunt work, no doubt.

Sephzilla

Probably the most famous bump in wrestling history

Mankind takes a bump off the top of the cell, and then takes a chokeslam through the god damn cell, and Vince still sent Mick out later that night for a run-in

SpaceWolf

Banned
I genuinely don't understand the appeal of watching grown men in a live space pretending to hit each other unconvincingly for a couple of minutes.

When Mankind climbs up the cage the second time and the crowd realises the match is going to continue, that's one of the coolest moments ever in wrestling.

jmdajr

When presented with the idea of throwing Foley off the top of the cage, Undertaker was a little more hesitant, even going as far as to ask Foley, "Mick, do you want to die?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Better than the threads talking about condoms and how to wipe your ass
He has a point, given that the previous random "insert-year-number-here" anniversary threads were also locked. And if you have an issue with other threads and think there's an issue with them, PM the mod staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom