• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Playable Vita titles at TGS, 18 Unknown (Sony announces TGS lineup)

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
Why? RE:R will have been designed for a handheld specifically, and it'll be improved on PSV, not downgraded like RE6 would.
Because I don't want Capcom to screw Nintendo yet again. I guess that's selfish, but they could at least wait for RE:R to release on 3DS and then announce the Vita port with more content a few months later rather than cannibalizing the 3DS version. Besides that, most people here seem to want it on Vita not for the graphics, but for the dual analog, and they might not get what they're looking for.

That, and I want both handhelds to succeed. If every good third-party 3DS game gets ported to Vita, it'll be slaughtered. Looking at PS3 and 3DS, I NEVER want to see a totally one-sided hardware market EVER again. EVER.

StuBurns

Banned
BurntPork said:
Because I don't want Capcom to screw Nintendo yet again. I guess that's selfish, but they could at least wait for RE:R to release on 3DS and then announce the Vita port with more content a few months later rather than cannibalizing the 3DS version. Besides that, most people here seem to want it on Vita not for the graphics, but for the dual analog, and they might not get what they're looking for.
That's an even worse reason than I expected. Nintendo are going to cream Sony regardless, it really doesn't matter.

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
That's an even worse reason than I expected. Nintendo are going to cream Sony regardless, it really doesn't matter.
Not if Vita gets a better version of every third-party game. Didn't you see what happened with the RE4 situation?

And I don't want Nintendo to cream Sony. That would be horrible. Look at my edit.

StuBurns

Banned
BurntPork said:
Not if Vita gets a better version of every third-party game. Didn't you see what happened with the RE4 situation?

And I don't want Nintendo to cream Sony. That would be horrible. Look at my edit.
What happened with RE4? It had nothing to do with PS2 outselling GC at all. Yes, the PS2 version sold much better, because the install base was way larger. Capcom did not 'screw' Nintendo, Nintendo screwed Nintendo.

And I don't agree every third party game being better would make much difference at all. Lots of GAF are convinced it would be inferior on PSV for one, and even though they're obviously deluded, the PSV costs way more, the 3DS still has all the Nintendo games, it has a year head start too. Look at the Wii, it doesn't even have worse versions of the major third party games, it has no version, and it still won.

PunchyBoy

Banned
I agree with BurntPork.
That may looks selfish, but I prefer have two handhelds with their own exclusives games, than having two handhelds with the same game.
I'll buy the PSVita, as I bought the 3DS, and I think that games on 3DS should stay on 3DS and game on Vita should stay on Vita.
I don't want to have the same situation we had with PS3 and Xbox 360.

neptunes

BurntPork said:

Come on man, let's be real, that's totally not going to happen.

A more realistic wish is to hope the Vita doesn't end up the same way the PSP did, software wise anyway, and it already looks like it'll better in that department.

Thoraxes

PunchyBoy said:
I agree with BurntPork.
That may looks selfish, but I prefer have two handhelds with their own exclusives games, than having two handhelds with the same game.
I'll buy the PSVita, as I bought the 3DS, and I think that games on 3DS should stay on 3DS and game on Vita should stay on Vita.
I don't want to have the same situation we had with PS3 and Xbox 360.
I just hope the Vita gets more games that aren't simply console games ported down. I want something only the Vita can do, not some more of the same (which is why Kirby's Canvas Curse was fucking amazing on the DS). There doesn't seem to be really anything unique right now that would compel me to spend $40 or so on a game that I can probably buy for $15 online for my PS3 or 360, or spend $40 on a game that looks like a $10 PSN title.

Hopefully there will be some unique titles for the system down the line.

jackdoe

yencid said:
Kingdom hearts 3DS is where riku and sora are getting training to become keyblade masters (like Terra, Aqua and ven where training for) so thats probably going to lead us into 3
KH 3DS feels like it's treading water though, due to the fact that it seems that they'll be in some sort of "virtual reality simulation" thingy to become masters. Hopefully, that's only part of the game and it soon expands beyond that simple premise.

Also, for people saying that handheld KH had no importance, Chain of Memories was extremely important, which was why it was ported to the PS2.

And as a consumer, I'd rather know whether RE: Revelations is being ported to the Vita, before or near the release on the 3DS. I don't want to buy one version only to realize the version that I wanted more is coming out down the line.

Another aside, a similar situation on handhelds akin to the PS3 and 360 is inevitable due to the fact that the two systems are so similar AND the budgets for games are also similar on both handhelds.

Thoraxes

jackdoe said:
KH 3DS feels like it's treading water though, due to the fact that it seems that they'll be in some sort of "virtual reality simulation" thingy to become masters. Hopefully, that's only part of the game and it soon expands beyond that simple premise.

Also, for people saying that handheld KH had no importance, Chain of Memories was extremely important, which was why it was ported to the PS2.
Quick question: Did you play BBS?

It's not re:Coded, but it takes place after that. As far as we've seen, there's no "virtual training" thing. It's going to be more like BBS if anything, mostly due to how keyblade masters are chosen and certified. (Also it's being developed by the BBS team) Also DDD takes place directly after they
read the letter in KH2 at the very end of the game. That letter is apparently from Yen Sid to have them complete the Mark of Mastery training.

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
What happened with RE4? It had nothing to do with PS2 outselling GC at all. Yes, the PS2 version sold much better, because the install base was way larger. Capcom did not 'screw' Nintendo, Nintendo screwed Nintendo.

And I don't agree every third party gaming being better would make much difference at all. Lots of GAF are convinced it would be inferior on PSV for one, and even though they're obviously deluded, the PSV costs way more, the 3DS still has all the Nintendo games, it has a year head start too. Look at the Wii, it doesn't even have worse versions of the major third party games, it has no version, and it still won.
It's not just that it was outsold. The PS2 version was announced before the GCN version released, killing its potential as a system seller.

And the Wii had the expanded audience. If it didn't have that, it would have flopped. The 3DS won't have that audience due to smartphones and tablets, so the only way for both platforms to thrive is for both to have unique and exclusive games.

At the very least, the 3DS and Vita versions would each need exclusive features. If the Vita version is better in every way, it's not fair.

StuBurns

Banned
Thoraxes said:
I just hope the Vita gets more games that aren't simply console games ported down. I want something only the Vita can do, not some more of the same (which is why Kirby's Canvas Curse was fucking amazing on the DS). There doesn't seem to be really anything unique right now that would compel me to spend $40 or so on a game that I can probably buy for $15 online for my PS3 or 360, or spend $40 on a game that looks like a $10 PSN title.

Hopefully there will be some unique titles for the system down the line.
Much like the 'Nintendo remakes the same game' meme, this 'PSP games are PS2 games portable' meme is really stupid. If Sony made Mario 3DS or Kid Icarus they'd be shit on for them being better fitting a console, Nintendo does it and no one says anything.

BurntPork said:
It's not just that it was outsold. The PS2 version was announced before the GCN version released, killing its potential as a system seller.

And the Wii had the expanded audience. If it didn't have that, it would have flopped. The 3DS won't have that audience due to smartphones and tablets, so the only way for both platforms to thrive is for both to have unique and exclusive games.
Why is it Capcom's responsibility to care for the viability of Nintendo's platforms? It's Nintendo's job to get a big install base so third parties make money, not the other way around. Nintendo fucked up, Sony locked down GTA, that's it, Resident Evil was not going to sell GameCubes. Zero was exclusive, no one cared, Code Veronica was exclusive for Dreamcast, no one cared. No one cares.

As for exclusives, both handhelds will have exclusives, from their first parties. You have a reason why RE:R being exclusive is good for Nintendo, you have a bad reason why it's good for you, you have seemingly no reason it's good for Capcom, which is the only one that matters.

jackdoe

Thoraxes said:
Quick question: Did you play BBS?

It's not re:Coded, but it takes place after that. As far as we've seen, there's no "virtual training" thing. It's going to be more like BBS if anything, mostly due to how keyblade masters are chosen and certified. (Also it's being developed by the BBS team) Also DDD takes place directly after they
read the letter in KH2 at the very end of the game. That letter is apparently from Yen Sid to have them complete the Mark of Mastery training.
Yes, I played BBS. The "virtual training" thing is the only way they can explain the young Sora and Riku.

jackdoe said:
KH 3DS feels like it's treading water though, due to the fact that it seems that they'll be in some sort of "virtual reality simulation" thingy to become masters. Hopefully, that's only part of the game and it soon expands beyond that simple premise
The mastery exam is confirmed to only be a part of the game.

Thoraxes

StuBurns said:
Much like the 'Nintendo remakes the same game' meme, this 'PSP games are PS2 games portable' meme is really stupid. If Sony made Mario 3DS or Kid Icarus they'd be shit on for them being better fitting a console, Nintendo does it and no one says anything.
I know Nintendo does it too, and I don't like it either (especially with the 3DS so far). But they do do more to accentuate the differences between the games on their systems. Uncharted for Vita looks like Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 for the PS3. Kirby's Canvas Curse was something that definitely could not be done on any other system than the DS at its release, that's for sure.

If Sony can manage to do something different with their in-game systems other than just making it look like the exact same game, I wouldn't have that problem, to be honest.

Thoraxes

jackdoe said:
Yes, I played BBS. The "virtual training" thing is the only way they can explain the young Sora and Riku.
(In BBS) The young Sora and Riku was explained in that the game is a prequel to KH1... Unless you mean there was probably a flashback in one of the DDD trailers?

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
People have been thinking that KI should be on Wii since the control scheme was revealed, and SM3DL is built around the 3D too much to make sense on Wii.

jackdoe

Thoraxes said:
(In BBS) The young Sora and Riku was explained in that the game is a prequel to KH1... Unless you mean there was probably a flashback in one of the DDD trailers?
By young Sora and Riku I meant KH1 age Sora and Riku. Unless they wanted to haphazardly shove the game in between events of KH1 which would make a convoluted story even more convoluted (as seen by 358/2) then "virtual reality"-ish training makes sense.

StuBurns

Banned
Thoraxes said:
I know Nintendo does it too, and I don't like it either (especially with the 3DS so far). But they do do more to accentuate the differences between the games on their systems. Uncharted for Vita looks like Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 for the PS3. Kirby's Canvas Curse was something that definitely could not be done on any other system than the DS at its release, that's for sure.

If Sony can manage to do something different with their in-game systems other than just making it look like the exact same game, I wouldn't have that problem, to be honest.
Uncharted has lots of touch screen crap that can't be done on a PS3. Yes, it looks like the other Uncharted's, NSMBs looks like the other 2D Mario games. Mario 3DS looks like the other 3D Mario games. Mario Kart looks like the other Mario Karts. Animal Crossing looks like the other Animal Crossings.

When Sony does make something very PSP focused like LocoRoco or Patapon, all you read is people moaning it's not on PSN. And I'm not beyond this, I am exactly that person in fact. But I'm that way with the 3/DS too. I don't see how someone can hold one position for one platform and not the other. Other than the potential they just don't like the PSP, which is fair, because I don't.

BurntPork said:
People have been thinking that KI should be on Wii since the control scheme was revealed, and SM3DL is built around the 3D too much to make sense on Wii.
Bullshit.

jackdoe

StuBurns said:
Bullshit.
Especially since you can toggle 3D on or off!

Thoraxes said:
To be fair, nobody wants to play a rhythm based Uncharted game that uses only the touch screen, the gyroscope, the camera, and the GPS. There's really so much you can do with heavily established franchises.

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
As for exclusives, both handhelds will have exclusives, from their first parties. You have a reason why RE:R being exclusive is good for Nintendo, you have a bad reason why it's good for you, you have seemingly no reason it's good for Capcom, which is the only one that matters.
If Capcom favors one handheld over the other, the 3DS version becomes a total waste of money because no one except Nintendo fanboys will buy it. If they're going to port it, they might as well cut their losses and just move it exclusively to Vita.

That said, it is Capcom, so it'll most likely be ported anyway. It's just that I'd see it the same as the MGS3D vs. MGSHD case. Why even bother putting it on both if one version is better in every way but costs the exact same price? It's just stupid.

StuBurns said:
Bullshit.
Okay, I guess moving the camera behind Mario would nullify that. Still, with the camera as-is, it doesn't make sense on Wii.

Gravijah

jackdoe said:
To be fair, nobody wants to play a rhythm based Uncharted game that uses only the touch screen, the gyroscope, the camera, and the GPS. There's really so much you can do with heavily established franchises.

speak for yourself.

StuBurns

Banned
BurntPork said:
If Capcom favors one handheld over the other, the 3DS version becomes a total waste of money because no one except Nintendo fanboys will buy it. If they're going to port it, they might as well cut their losses and just move it exclusively to Vita.

That said, it is Capcom, so it'll most likely be ported anyway. It's just that I'd see it the same as the MGS3D vs. MGSHD case. Why even bother putting it on both if one version is better in every way but costs the exact same price? It's just stupid.
Because not everyone buys both systems.

Why doesn't the PC version of every multiplatform game massively outsell the PS360 version? It's cheaper, hugely superior in every regard, and yet sells the worst. It's a lot of reasons, but what it ultimately comes down to is not everyone buys every platform.

Let's say RE:R comes to PSV, it looks better, it runs better, it controls better, that's fine, if you have both systems you'll buy it for PSV, but if you have a 3DS, are those things going to get you to buy a PSV? History would say no, gamers were happy with the inferior PS2, they're happy with the inferior DS, they're happy with the inferior Wii, and inferior PS360. They don't appear to care about the various technical components of a game, they just care about having the game on a system they have.
BurntPork said:
Okay, I guess moving the camera behind Mario would nullify that. Still, with the camera as-is, it doesn't make sense on Wii.
You can turn the 3D off on 3DS. Nothing will ever require it, it is a visual effect, that's it, forever. It's an awesome effect to me personally, but nothing with serious gameplay impact.

Thoraxes

jackdoe said:
By young Sora and Riku I meant KH1 age Sora and Riku. Unless they wanted to haphazardly shove the game in between events of KH1 which would make a convoluted story even more convoluted (as seen by 358/2) then "virtual reality"-ish training makes sense.
Ah ok. I was confused which you were talking about. Imma go back and rewatch the trailer, I think.
StuBurns said:
Uncharted has lots of touch screen crap that can't be done on a PS3. Yes, it looks like the other Uncharted's, NSMBs looks like the other 2D Mario games. Mario 3DS looks like the other 3D Mario games. Mario Kart looks like the other Mario Karts. Animal Crossing looks like the other Animal Crossings.

When Sony does make something very PSP focused like LocoRoco or Patapon, all you read is people moaning it's not on PSN. And I'm not beyond this, I am exactly that person in fact. But I'm that way with the 3/DS too. I don't see how someone can hold one position for one platform and not the other. Other than the potential they just don't like the PSP, which is fair, because I don't.
While the touch stuff looks cool, the main gameplay can be done entirely on controls, if what i've read about it is right. I know there's the coal rubbing for maps and stuff, but the meat of the game can be played conventionally.

With the (3)DS stuff, I do totally agree.

I just wish handheld developers would take more advantage of the unique-ness that the systems have. Even on the DS, the amount of titles that couldn't be played anywhere else weren't that great in number. More games like The World Ends With You or Kirby's Canvas Curse. Those were experiences that really could not be replicated without compromising what made the games so great.

Also, i'm buying both systems anyways.

Oh also with the Mario thing, from what i've read from hands-on impressions, people say that the game becomes significantly easier to play when you have the 3D on. Something about taking advantage of the depth and camera angles by using it or something.

BurntPork

Banned
StuBurns said:
Because not everyone buys both systems.

Why doesn't the PC version of every multiplatform game massively outsell the PS360 version? It's cheaper, hugely superior in every regard, and yet sells the worst. It's a lot of reasons, but what it ultimately comes down to is not everyone buys every platform.

Let's say RE:R comes to PSV, it looks better, it runs better, it controls better, that's fine, if you have both systems you'll buy it for PSV, but if you have a 3DS, are those things going to get you to buy a PSV? History would say no, gamers were happy with the inferior PS2, they're happy with the inferior DS, they're happy with the inferior Wii, and inferior PS360. They don't appear to care about the various technical components of a game, they just care about having the game on a system they have.

You can turn the 3D off on 3DS. Nothing will ever require it, it is a visual affect, that's it, forever.
The PS2 wasn't significantly inferior and had a huge library due to its headstart (plus it being more powerful is part of why it killed Dreamcast), big DS games were exclusives, only non-gamers and Nintendo fanboys only own a Wii, and PC gaming just isn't for everyone for various reasons. You know the answers to these questions.

jackdoe

Thoraxes said:
Oh also with the Mario thing, from what i've read from hands-on impressions, people say that the game becomes significantly easier to play when you have the 3D on. Something about taking advantage of the depth and camera angles by using it or something.
That's what I've read too, but it isn't to the extent where the game itself can only be done on the 3DS. Because it would literally make the game unplayable to people who can't see the 3D, either because they turned the slider off or their eyes can't see it.

StuBurns

Banned
BurntPork said:
The PS2 wasn't significantly inferior and had a huge library due to its headstart (plus it being more powerful is part of why it killed Dreamcast), big DS games were exclusives, only non-gamers and Nintendo fanboys only own a Wii, and PC gaming just isn't for everyone for various reasons. You know the answers to these questions.
PS2 had a better library because it had a head start? No, it didn't, the Dreamcast had a head start. The library was nothing to do with the release date, PS2 had better games because PS1 won, by an obscene amount, so people put their money behind PS2 games.

The Dreamcast was killed because PS2 was more powerful? No because the year after PS2 launched, the Xbox launched, which was more powerful than the PS2.

So, both starting first, and being more powerful are not determining factors in winning a platform war. They can be factors, but they don't solidify anything.

What actually matters is which is marketed the best. First parties win by being better at selling their platform. Sony was far better at marketing the PS1 and 2 than the competition were. They realized what they wanted was men in their twenties with lots of disposable cash, so they made consoles for them and marketed directly to them. Then Nintendo realized even better than children or twenty something men, market to everyone, no one has more disposable cash than house wives buying machines for their whole family, so Nintendo won.

RE:R is virtually meaningless to the sales of either handheld. Nintendo would probably prefer it be exclusive of course, but Capcom have no reason to indulge them.

And Thoraxes, I pretty much agree. TWEWY is my favorite DS game in fact.

Reveirg

I'm hoping Square-Enix will come out of the dump and announce something to look forward to....

-FF or KH HD collection?
-PS3 HD remasters of their PSP titles
-New IP from their japanese studio

Also looking forward to seeing Imageepoch announcements, maybe some Persona 5 news and... Monolith Soft's new title!

Hey, I can dream...

jiggle

other than bbsv2, dissidia2 is the most likely candidate imo
if they support the system at all anyway

^tri-ace making something for it?
since when?

StuBurns

Banned
yencid said:
shouldnt this RE/porting talk go into the "PSV vs 3DS, an exclusives war worthy of attention?" Thread?
A fair point, I don't even think anyone suggested it'd be announced at TGS, so this really is off topic. My apologies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Mana Legend said:
I really want to know what the tri-Ace Vita game is.
Where did you read this? Because it sounds like something straight out of that fake list.

DMPrince said:
lolwut. when did this happen.

Well, they haven't exactly "announced" that they are working on a game for it, but their name is on the official list of developers that are supporting Vita. So it's safe to assume that they ARE developing a game for it right now (or are in the planning stages for one).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Mana Legend said:
I really want to know what the tri-Ace Vita game is.

Are you talking about Frontier Gate? Coz that's a PSP title.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Mana Legend said:
Well, they haven't exactly "announced" that they are working on a game for it, but their name is on the official list of developers that are supporting Vita. So it's safe to assume that they ARE developing a game for it right now (or are in the planning stages for one).
Unfortunately it's NOT safe to assume such a thing. That developer list usually means nothing more than developers receiving dev kits. A lot of them choose to sit on them and do nothing.

StuBurns

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
That could mean anything, could be a PSV sku of some PS360 game.

Jinfash said:
Unfortunately it's NOT safe to assume such a thing. That developer list usually means nothing more than developers receiving dev kits. A lot of them choose to sit on them and do nothing.

I think it's pretty safe to assume they are making a game for it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Mana Legend said:
I think it's pretty safe to assume they are making a game for it.

I'm gonna need a more convincing argument. Care to share something?

Jinfash said:

I'm gonna need a more convincing argument. Care to share something?

Your argument is very convincing as well. Thank you.

Top Bottom