• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

Sowee

Banned
It's 3DS all over again. I'm waiting for my ambassador title. After the middle of the year we will have more games and all the shitstorm will be gone.

Sandfox

This low software sales really worries me. I want to have WiiU to play MH: Ultimate and have no interest in 1st party games. With the situation the WiiU is in right now, it would be insane if Capcom don't port the game to others platforms. Maybe I should wait and see how things turn out before pulling a trigger?

MH3 isn't coming to other consoles any time soon and 4 going to going to another console if they decide to port it would surprise me as well.

If Nintendo is going to recover anywhere it will be Japan which is where Monster Hunter's biggest fanbase is. They not see the need to port it. Besides, isn't it seen as more of a portable game.
Good point.

It will be interesting to see what Nintendo can do to turn this around in the UK. Seems that the solution is easy: release more good games!! We will see what happens after Nintendo can provide a more stable schedule of game releases.

Sowee

Banned
Ah, i forgot to add. All consoles will struggle in the beggining. People just don't want them anymore when they can play angry birds all day long on their phones. Us 'hardcore' games, will buy the console, but the masses will wait a bit. Thats whats happening to wiiu.

I haven't bought it yet and I don't really want to be that brave soul :p That's why I'm debating with myself right now if I should wait a little longer.
ohhhhhh, then yeah you should definitely wait. Might as well see how the landscape looks and how things play out the rest of the year.

We didn't realize what we had until it was gone. ;___;

Seriously, there was a buildup of several factors over a time period spanning gens that caused Dreamcast sales to slump and Sega to bow out of the hardware business. However, the quality of its software was not one of them. The Dreamcast had a fucking fabulous lineup of games. It pains me to even think about, really.
That does sum that story up.

It's 3DS all over again. I'm waiting for my ambassador title. After the middle of the year we will have more games and all the shitstorm will be gone.
Probably. I'm not sure if they will use the ambassador program again though, at least not while the Wii U is already selling at a loss.

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Platform is in serious trouble.
Not sounding good. You're probably not allowed to say but are there a lot of Chinese whispers about things in development for Gen4/other next gen platforms?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Not sounding good. You're probably not allowed to say but are there a lot of Chinese whispers about things in development for Gen4/other next gen platforms?

People are being pretty cagey about that. But they always are before official platform announcements. Hard to get a read on how much is actually in dev there.

Oxn

'Most people'. Playing industry leading stuff like Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia and more, a veritable sack of Capcom content (they love a good failing console it seems) and then playing PSO online with people all around the world for just the price of my internet connection in 2001, you'd best belief its a fucking much loved console. Shit was absolutely astounding.

Would that Nintendo could ever deliver such a generation of non-stop wow as Sega did with their last hardware hurrah.

My man right on the money. Dreamcast was freaking amazing.

Amazing games after amazing games. Sonic in 3d was mindblowing for its time, then soul calibur, mvc2, skies of arcadia, grandia 2, soul reaver, pso, progect justice, and the other oddball games.

If i could have one deserted island console, that would be it.

images.jpg

R.I.P.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The 32x and Saturn's failure were necessary mistakes that Sega needed to learn from for the Dreamcast to be a true gamer's machine, and couldn't be undone without a time machine.

Even in 1998 DVD was was clearly the future of home video. Sega just didn't want spare the expense.
But the Saturn has a better library than the DC.

???

The Wii U isn't getting discontinued or anything.

While Nintendo consoles are rarely discontinued outright, you do have to watch out for the weird purgatory where the platform is current and officially supported, but there's nothing new getting announced for it. It's as if the hardware has been superseded by a next-gen console that doesn't exist. The N64, Gamecube and Wii have all suffered from such a phenomenon (to varying degrees) during their lives.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Haven't various developers been saying that Nintendo have been doing this on the eShop for download games?

To be fair, we have no idea what eShop sales were like...

(Granted, I don't think they'd be amazing enough to close the gap, but...)

While Nintendo consoles are rarely discontinued outright, you do have to watch out for the weird purgatory where the platform is current and officially supported, but there's nothing new getting announced for it. It's as if the hardware has been superseded by a next-gen console that doesn't exist. The N64, Gamecube and Wii have all suffered from such a phenomenon (to varying degrees) during their lives.

The Wii U is a wasteland. It's a disaster.

jcm

While Nintendo consoles are rarely discontinued outright, you do have to watch out for the weird purgatory where the platform is current and officially supported, but there's nothing new getting announced for it. It's as if the hardware has been superseded by a next-gen console that doesn't exist.

We call that Vitaland nowadays.

Striek

Wii U is the second most successful console launch right after the Wii. Can the Vita say that?
Can the Wii U actually say that?

I guess when only 3 systems have ever had worldwide launches, and the one you beat was supply blocked in its major markets, that makes for a very good comparison, if only a pyrrhic victory.

jcm

Can the Wii U actually say that?

I guess when only 3 systems have ever had worldwide launches, and the one you beat was supply blocked in its major markets, that makes for a very good comparison, if only a pyrrhic victory.

It's a bullshit metric anyway. The global population is growing, and the cost of tech is falling. Every gen should be a new record. The fact that the vita flopped doesn't mean the wii u launch has been a success.

Oersted

It's a bullshit metric anyway. The global population is growing, and the cost of tech is falling. Every gen should be a new record. The fact that the vita flopped doesn't mean the wii u launch has been a success.

Well, gaming is also moving to different plattforms. Not saying this means anything good for WiiU, but the landscape is drastically changing. Wait and see...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The current Wii U line-up in the UK does not make for good reading.

22nd March
The Croods
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed Most Wanted

29th March
The Walking Dead
LEGO City Undercover

19th April
Injustice

24th May
Resident Evil Revelaitons

28th June
Disney Infinity

Sandfox

The current Wii U line-up in the UK does not make for good reading.

22nd March
The Croods
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed Most Wanted

29th March
The Walking Dead
LEGO City Undercover

19th April
Injustice

24th May
Resident Evil Revelaitons

28th June
Disney Infinity

While I'm not expecting gold, Q2 games haven't been dated yet.

Nintendo deserved these poor sales. The reason I won't buy a Wii U right now has nothing to do with the gimmicky controller. It doesn't have the games. The two most notable games on the service are known for pandering to casual audiences, which is an immediate blow for my interest in the platform. They needed a much better launch lineup than what they provided, if they seriously wanted to become a presence in any region. Stuff like SMT X FE, Pikmin 3, heck, even SSB4, should have been released near the launch. It's taking so long to get those titles, people are going to lose interest.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Its the huge battery.

ROFL, dude. How do you manage to stay unbanned?

Anyway, I love old Nintendo games that were focused on traditional controls. If Wii U really is being sold at a big loss and no one is biting...Virtual Boy it under the carpet and try again. Whether it's a new Nintendo console, 3rd party, PC, I don't care...I'd like to play stuff like Mario Galaxy/64, Zelda LTTP, Super Metroid, etc. Or heck, release the games and turn Wii U around and I'll buy one.

Foffy

Banned
Or heck, release the games and turn Wii U around and I'll buy one.

This is what Nintendo is planning to do. The issue however is the timetable they'll be able to do this starts to coincide with the launch of other platforms, more likely than not. What was a year-long headstart in terms of momentum will essentially have to be rebooted, probably during the timeframe of Durango and Orbis. And this is bothersome for many reasons. Nintendo has basically repeated the 3DS at this point in time. What makes this rather troublesome is Nintendo claimed they learned from that mistake. It's quite clear they didn't.

AzaK

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Platform is in serious trouble.
Sales are tracking pretty well overall are they not? Not Wii levels of course but OK. To bail out at this point seems silly because to build a platform it needs games and I would have thought publishers would have some faith in Nintendo to do their part with their titles.

Do you know why these titles are being cancelled?

Around 4-5k people play COD at any given moment and the leaderboard has over 110k people on it.

The community is continuing to grow
Are leaderboards indicative of sales (I've not looked) 100k is pretty damed good if it is though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sales are tracking pretty well overall are they not? Not Wii levels of course but OK. To bail out at this point seems silly because to build a platform it needs games and I would have thought publishers would have some faith in Nintendo to do their part with their titles.

Do you know why these titles are being cancelled?

I imagine the decision would ultimately boil down to not how Nintendo's titles or even the hardware is selling, but how the kinds of titles they make sell on the system.

If they saw the kinds of titles they make sell too little at launch, they might have been decided to back away from the platform.

Top Bottom