• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales - Wii U game sales just 25k in February, Vita just 35k, Nintendo down by 49%

spwolf

February 2012 vs Feb 2013 unit sales:

Total market decrease - 16.4%
Non-Nintendo decrease - 2.3%
Non-Nintendo decrease console only - 0.0%
Nintendo decrease - 48.5%

Still shows a collapse in Nintendo's software sales and the new platforms not picking up the slack. Interestingly, the drop in PSP and PS3 game sales were actually made up by Vita game sales and it's highly likely that digital sales account for a fair number on Vita, so PlayStation as a platform will be up slightly YoY.

So this is without digital? In that case, quite likealy PS3/360 software sales went up overall.

The Vita only decreased 15k in 2 month? That´s less than i thought. The decrease for the 3DS is huge. Between the UK and US the 3DS decreased a lot YOY.

The WiiU is lol.

If the Vita is dead and it´s outselling the WiiU, what does that make the WiiU?

By this time in the N64 for gen I think I already had 6 games! Sure there are some games out there but nothing interesting or exclusive besides 1 or 3.

I probably had the same count for GCN as well.

Its really tragic. Pikmin 3 and W101 cant come soon enough but they are being wishy washy on dates for those as well.

Majmun

Didn't Mario Kart Wii sell almost the same as NSMB Wii?

I don't expect Mario Kart U to do much, to be honest. Just like NSMB U isn't doing much currently.

Wii's userbase helped those titles. The Wii U is seriously lacking on this regard. I really don't know what Nintendo can do to elevate the Wii U above Gamecube success.

Please excuse the derail, but I'm really interested in actual numbers now ;)
Doing a quick search I found this one, but it's from the gtai, read: probably biased.
Do you have a reliable report?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-consumers-spent-2-9bn-on-games-in-2012/0112028

Heres UK for 2012 at 2.9b pounds (4.38b US dollars)

The figure from the pdf you linked has germany at 1.8b euros (2.3b US dollar) for 2010 which is way lower than what the german actual market is. I cant seem to find a link but i recall it being around 4b US as well.

Dragon

Banned
I wonder with this gen being Nintendo's attempt at a console/handheld hybrid if they continue that vein next gen and have a single SKU across their handheld/console that you can hook up to a box by the TV or just buy separately.

My god. This is a portmanteau consisting of the words 'Nintendo', and 'Doomed'. That's really clever. It might appear like some sort of typo at first glance but it's actually a cleverly and deliberately engineered linguistic bombshell. Truly, I am staggered by the ingenuity of humanity.

Are you ReviewTechUSA?

jcm

Please excuse the derail, but I'm really interested in actual numbers now ;)
Doing a quick search I found this one, but it's from the gtai, read: probably biased.
Do you have a reliable report?

Here's some old data (from 2008), painstakingly compiled by Captain Smoker. Obviously things have changed since then, but its a starting point. I think back then the exchange rate made UK imports really cheap in the euro-zone, so that inflated the UK numbers some.

I really wish we got some figures on the health of each platform's digital downloads. In the case of the Vita most of it's releases and especially sales have come from PSN recently. Personally I haven't bought a retail Vita game since November, but I have bought more than 10 games digitally for the Vita since then not including the free games through Plus.

The Dreamcast and GameCube were both cheaper than the PS2.

I should have better worded my statement. The 'winner' has always been the most affordable or the one perceived to offer the most affordable 'value'. PS2 clowned the Dreamcast and Gamecube despite being a bit more expensive, mostly because of the insane hype -- but also because it had a good library and strong backwards compatibility with the previous generations' leading console. It also doubled as a DVD player -- which was an attractive novelty at the time. When I bought my launch PS2, some equally capable DVD players cost almost as much. It made no sense to buy a rival's new DVD player when you could get it built into the PS2. I don't consider the PS2 an anomaly -- people will buy affordable fun. I strongly believe that.

Not even most Nintendo fans. I still can't get over the name Wii U, it needs serious re-branding, from the name to the console and controller design besides games that people want to buy.

The name is dumb but if the concept was exciting people would understand the difference. The thing is to most people a controller with a screen on it is seen as less impressive than a Wiimote with average motion controls.

Mogwai

I've opined on this elsewhere, but I think it has a lot to do with the competition.

When Nintendo had next to no confidence that the Wii was going to succeed, they always said that they "weren't competing" with Microsoft and Sony. The truth is -- these guys are ALWAYS in competition with each other. Money is money. Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Google -- they're all taking it from each other when they complete a sale.

So as much as Nintendo might have wanted to believe they are a step removed from what the others are doing, and that they could prosper in this mid-generation role, providing more affordable fun for everyone, they have also had to have one eye on what the competition is doing. Unfortunately for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft haven't followed the same bell curve as Nintendo. Nintendo's audience were ready for next generation long before MS and Sony's audiences were. Those guys have seen their success and momentum come later, as a result of falling prices and new slim-line models. If Nintendo had released the Wii's successor in 2010, they still would have had to contend with the more affordable slim consoles, and they would have had to show their hand a full 3/4 years before the other guys. This years next-gen hype would have been even more damaging.

The problem is that Nintendo ceased working on software for the original Wii at around that time, and shifted to 3DS/Wii-U. They either haven't made progress, or they are reluctant to show it. I think it's the latter. They seem to be waiting on certain big titles, probably to try and steal exposure from next-gen console reveals when those arrive.

Firstly - I think its questionable as to how effective that will be, and secondly - every day that passes without us having more reasons to buy this console is damaging for its future. Thirdly? They have priced the machine at a level above PS360, and way above the level where Wii saw success. The unit sales 'winner' in every generation has always been the most affordable. The reason PS360 are doing so well at the moment is that they have rich back catalogues and - after 6 years - they are finally reaching the mass market pricepoints that the Wii previously occupied.

Their best hope is honestly this: publishers trying to push the new consoles shift resources to PS4/720, making PS360 less attractive for new buyers. The new consoles launch at a high price, and Wii U starts to look like a good deal. Developing for PS360/Wii-U becomes the new affordable end of the market for developers, a la Wii this generation.

That scenario only works for them if they have bold new games to sell themselves. They need to start showing them. Soon. Nobody else is going to step up and justify the existence of the console for them. They have to do it.

Great analysis. It's a pretty interesting idea about publisher pushing the console generation shift in order to make the Wii U more appealing cost-wise.

Other reasons for why the Wii U haven't taken off like the original Wii:

1. The Wii U isn't bundled with a strong product such as Wii Sports. Nintendo Land seems solid, but is only bundled with the black Premium Edition.
2. Wii users might have become more informed on specs. The Wii was really just a sewing machine with a disc drive. Perhaps now they want better hardware along with the PS4/Xbox720 users.
3. The GamePad with a screen is cool. But it's just not as tangible an idea as motion controls. It was easier to see the point of having to swing the nunchuk than why you should use two screens. I don't understand why Nintendo is so hellbent on this off-TV feature of the GamePad. It solves the problem when somebody wants to watch TV instead of watching you play, but why not make the game appealing for people to join? The GamePad lets you have a portable console, but without any range. In my opinion it's a halfbaked idea solution.

If the Vita is dead and it´s outselling the WiiU, what does that make the WiiU?

Still not as "dead" as Vita, given that the first-party software coming later this year will result in a recovery to some extent. But still pretty fucked for a while, and probably only slightly unfucked for the remainder of the generation.

In Vita's case, there's nothing coming or that could even conceivably be announced at this point that would move significant quantities of hardware outside Japan, given the failure of every major 2012 release for the platform to do so.

Davey Cakes

The Wii U has zero momentum. I wouldn't say the system is finished, but it needs to hit a point where it's getting games consistently and is picking up bigger and bigger releases. Since launch there haven't been many compelling games to get more people on board. Perhaps the likes of Lego City, Monster Hunter, and Need for Speed will start up some momentum that the system can actually work off of. If Nintendo can build up the system over the next several months and then somehow peak during the holiday season, they'll have effectively recovered the console. I honestly don't think it will be anything more than a mild success, though.

It's sad that with the Wii U, there was the buzz of the launch and then nearly NOTHING for months. Nintendo needs to get the ball rolling again.

Raist

Banned
Here's some old data (from 2008), painstakingly compiled by Captain Smoker. Obviously things have changed since then, but its a starting point. I think back then the exchange rate made UK imports really cheap in the euro-zone, so that inflated the UK numbers some.

Something to keep in mind as well is that these are global figures, and in Germany the PC market is much higher than the rest of Europe.

So as far as consoles/handhelds go, it's UK > FRA > GER > SPA.

Subhero

Banned
thanks again, that's great "assembly" work looking at the source material.
Seems there is no "combined and normalized" report publicly available then. My takeaway would be that historically UK is/was the biggest market, but took a dive in terms of consoles and PC in recent years. Nintendo might target mainland Europe more as of today (anecdotal evidence from TV commercials coverage in German/French Kid's programming and availability in retail), but UK is still a market that should usually be considered relevant.
Nintendo just doesn't seem to push it for whatever reason.

TL4E

The Wii U has zero momentum. I wouldn't say the system is finished, but it needs to hit a point where it's getting games consistently and is picking up bigger and bigger releases. Since launch there haven't been many compelling games to get more people on board. Perhaps the likes of Lego City, Monster Hunter, and Need for Speed will start up some momentum that the system can actually work off of. If Nintendo can build up the system over the next several months and then somehow peak during the holiday season, they'll have effectively recovered the console. I honestly don't think it will be anything more than a mild success, though.

It's sad that with the Wii U, there was the buzz of the launch and then nearly NOTHING for months. Nintendo needs to get the ball rolling again.

I imagine they'll end up somewhere between Nintendo 64 and Wii success. Probably closer to Nintendo 64. I'll gladly eat crow.

I imagine they'll end up somewhere between Nintendo 64 and Wii success. Probably closer to Nintendo 64. I'll gladly eat crow.

Given the dearth of third-party support and Nintendo's ineptitude at getting first-party games out the door, I'd say N64's LTD is increasingly looking like a best-case scenario.

Subhero

Banned
What he means is that PC is much bigger in Germany so taking it out gives that kind of breakdown for just the consoles/handhelds which is probably still the way it looks in 2012/2013.

Yes, I know, didn't want to come off as reprimanding, just bolded it to stress the fact that we just don't know what the situation is right now and anything 2012/13 is just what it is: assumptions.

Into

Abysmal sales for Wii U

However there are few options to what Nintendo can actually do now, you cannot conjure games out of thin air, any moves they make now after seeing sales across all 3 major markets will first be able to be realized in a few years.

Work hard on the games and cross their fingers that something catches fire Wii Sports style, only other card is a price cut

kinggroin

Banned
I must say, this week will be the most fun I've had with a dead platform since I bought Lumines and MvC3 on Vita. Difference between both platforms however, is that one backing company actually plans substantial support with quality 1st party titles.

I still say its premature to relegate the status of the Wii U to Oblivion for the rest of its active time on the market considering, well, the big hitters haven't even landed yet.

January 2014 NPD. That should give a near concrete idea of what this thing will play out like for the rest of the gen.

Majmun

I still say its premature to relegate the status of the Wii U to Oblivion for the rest of its active time on the market considering, well, the big hitters haven't even landed yet.

A 2D Mario isn't a "big hitter"?

It's one of Nintendo main guns.

Roo

Nintendo have basically completely squandered this entire year that they had all to themselves without the noise of Sony and Microsoft pushing new machines.

To be honest, they quite earned all of this.
I mean.. THE FUCK were they thinking? No worth buying games since launch, mediocre third party support,
mediocre first party support, delayed games, games not even coming, exclusives lost and half assed-unappealing or next to zero marketing. Well, congrats.
I love Nintendo but right now I can help myself but laugh my ass off at their "we learned the lesson" statement.
Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

Mato

Nintendo has certainly failed to foresee the rapid change in the gaming industry and prepare for it. The non-gamers that made Wii and it's gimmicks a success are gone. If Nintendo wants to be relevant again they have to go up against the likes of Blizzard and do it well. Linear, static and gimmicky experiences are the fading as a serious revenue source, Nintendo has better accept that.

To be honest, they quite earned all of this.
I mean.. THE FUCK were they thinking? No worth buying games since launch, mediocre third party support,
mediocre first party support, delayed games, games not even coming, exclusives lost and half assed-unappealing or next to zero marketing. Well, congrats.
I love Nintendo but right now I can help myself but laugh my ass off at their "we learned the lesson" statement.
Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

Pretty much. As big of disaster as the Vita launch was, the importance of Wiiu to Nintendo makes this launch one of the biggest disasters of all time. In Europe the console may as well not exist. Someone's head will roll for how big of a worldwide disaster this is. And to make things even worse they stupidly engineered it so they will hurt a lot more in dropping the price

Here's NSMB on the Wii:

new-super-mario-bros-wii-20091116021620569-3056018_640w.jpg

and here's NSMB on the Wii U:

nsmbuscrn12wpjpg-9d9edf_640w.jpg

Most gamers, who are interested in this game, know the difference between the two, but outside of the slightly better graphics in NSMBU, what difference do you see? I know the small sized screenshot does the Wii U game a disservice, but this is what your average casual gamer sees when they view the screenshot on IGN or whatever.

Put yourself in the shoes of the average Wii buyer, is NSMBU really worth upgrading to a $300+(or in this case, £250+) console for?

The pics are too small where HD won't make that much of a difference, but by your rationale then we shouldn't expect Mario Kart or 3D Mario games are not going to be enough to convince people to upgrade as they will not look that much better either.

Still not as "dead" as Vita, given that the first-party software coming later this year will result in a recovery to some extent. But still pretty fucked for a while, and probably only slightly unfucked for the remainder of the generation.

What kind of recovery are you expecting? I think this "wait for" that is being used by Nintendo fans is ironic, to say the least. I'm not saying those 1st party games can't give the WiiU a boost, I actually expect it since they gave even the GC and N64 boosts, but the WiiU problems go beyond that IMO. We'll see if G&W and DQX really boost the WiiU in Japan as some people are hoping they will.

SmokyDave

At least, Vita games sell well digitally.

Until there are some concrete numbers released, it's pointless to even mention. People will gleefully scoff at the suggestion in the absence of any decent data.

So far there is only anecdotal comments from devs and retailers and the PSN charts to go on. Signs do point to the Vita shifting a proportionally high chunk of digital sales but without being able to conclusively prove it, it's irrelevant.

serplux

Given the dearth of third-party support and Nintendo's ineptitude at getting first-party games out the door, I'd say N64's LTD is increasingly looking like a best-case scenario.

I personally refuse to say anything on the matter until the Wii U gets more than one fucking retail game out in three months.

I personally refuse to say anything on the matter until the Wii U gets more than one fucking retail game out in three months.

With he compete lack of 3rd parties, most of Wiiu lifespan will be in perpetual drought after drought and Nintendo cant make HD games as fast. Even if they do recover this holiday, there will be another drought next year.

Oh man. Iwata must be having a real hard time sleeping at night.

I feel bad, I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy but I honestly haven't used the console for anything else except for Netflix and amazon.com for the past 3 months.

I actually think that even NSMBU was kinda lackluster, specially considering that I had already aced NSMB DS and NSMB Wii.

deviljho

My takeaways are that Xbox and PS business in UK has stayed about the same, but the total number of dollars spent on gaming has gone down. You could say that sales declined, but only for Nintendo, but the flipside is that neither company added to their sales from that market. Also that the year to year comparison is not 100% useful for Nintendo because it's apples to oranges in the context of their hardware transitions. And we don't need the year to year comparison for Nintendo because the current year data already tells us that the launch sucks.

Oh man. Iwata must be having a real hard time sleeping at night.

He's not. He's busy working. Wii U will be fine this generation. The launch sucks. Just revise your analysis this time next year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The pics are too small where HD won't make that much of a difference, but by your rationale then we shouldn't expect Mario Kart or 3D Mario games are not going to be enough to convince people to upgrade as they will not look that much better either.

I already mentioned that in my post, that's exactly how the average casual gamer is going to see the screenshot when they click on it on IGN.

I'm willing to bet that you will be able to tell the difference, graphically, between a 3D Mario or Mario Kart on the Wii U and their Wii counterparts. The nature of NSMBU and it's graphics/art style does not lend favourably to that comparison. That's why relying on NSMBU to be a big system seller was an idiotic move on Nintendo's part.

Until there are some concrete numbers released, it's pointless to even mention. People will gleefully scoff at the suggestion in the absence of any decent data.

So far there is only anecdotal comments from devs and retailers and the PSN charts to go on. Signs do point to the Vita shifting a proportionally high chunk of digital sales but without being able to conclusively prove it, it's irrelevant.

Pretty much, I just know I have bought more than 10 games for the Vita this year and not one them was retail, so on all these sales trackers I and many others don't count. Which is why I think these types of things are silly. Just like we can't use digital sales as any evidence to the health of a platform, nor should physical sales be the end all discussion on the health of games sales because it excludes digital sales.

Top Bottom