• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 5 beta runs at 720p/60FPS, focused on gameplay, not final resolution

Biker19

Banned
Will be interesting to see if it ends up at 1080p or not. tbh if its a rock solid 60fps I wouldn't even mind too much if it was 900p, but we'll see!

Except, people didn't think Halo 5 was ever gonna be 1080, with them prioritizing 60fps.

Yea, it'll probably get to 900p by retail.

I think that 900p w/60 FPS will be the safest bet. If they try to push for Native 1080p w/60 FPS, then I believe that the game will stutter in framerates, etc.

vesvci

Banned
Xbox owners have accepted the resolution and the debate has ended. Most know it will always be less than that of the PS4. It's the gameplay now focused on. Solid framerate, decent resolution, all around good experience. If Halo 5 is 900p/60fps, I wouldn't complain. We came from playing 640p, sub 25 frames Halo 3 etc.

True, I purchased my XBO expecting most titles at 900p, and really for exclusives. It is what it is.

One4U

Banned
It is absolute fine with me for the BETA only having 720P. For the final game, I would prefer full 1080p, but if it is impossible, then please give us at least the dynamic 1080p like COD:AW.

And look those trolls in this tread. They never be interested in buying Xbox One or Halo, but they just want to come in this tread to troll.

RowdyReverb

I have no doubt the final release will have dynamic resolution with 1080 horizontal lines. The question is, what will the minimum vertical resolution be and why does it even matter?

Lucifon

Considering how far out this game is this is a real beta. Not the marketing shit we mostly see these days. Imagine if you saw most major shooters a year before launch, I doubt the resolution and general optimization would be great.

This isn't destiny 'alpha' 2-3 months before launch.

I... Don't think I would care to much if Halo had reduced resolution or even graphics for that matter. I think the fun aspect of the game and the making sure there is no lag in the movement is more important than how it looks. I've never played Halo before but it was always a game that never looked good, but played good. Graphics and resolution would be the last thing that would be an issue. Overall, I'm ok with this...

Didn't they say back in 2013 the game would be 1080p/60fps or just 60fps?
They said that the mysterious "Halo on Xbox One in 2014", which was MCC, is 1080p60.

One year before release 720p60 is ok. Really hope they can achieve the dynamic resolution like AW for the final game. The IQ of AW is great.

you know what? I wouldn't even care if it stayed 720p. If they could add some extra lighting effects and other small details, while keeping large environments and such, i think that's just fine.

Biker19

Banned
720p in 2015 shouldn't even be legal.

720p is the resolution at which the XBOX One can push incredible next gen graphics at 60fps. 720p is unacceptable in 2015 though unless you're Nintendo or your games have a similar visual style to theirs.

Relax, it'll be more than just Native 720p by next year.

Just hope that future games don't get demanding graphically, or it's going to wind up being the result.

For Halo, stuff like effects, lighting, and physics are things more important to me. I'd be content with a rez tradeoff if they nail them well. I'd be disappointed if they skimp on them just for rez's sake.

If I can't splatter with an exploded vehicle and bask in a lightshow, no go.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Nowhere in the article do they quote any 343i person saying 1080p.
Only 60fps.

Ive yet to see one quote from 343i saying 1080p.

rVUypPl.gif

Sendou

Well first of all it's beta so it can be whatever. Second of all at least they have their priorities right. I'd much rather have a game running at 720p/60FPS than 1080p/30FPS.

Caayn

Good, 343i can deliver pretty pictures they've shown that with H4( even though I don't really agree with some graphic choices). 343i's priority should be gameplay, good to hear them say that it is.
Even if there's no such thing as a native 900p display?
Guess my previous monitor didn't exist and I imagined everything I did on that.

Raide

An actual beta from a developer. Cannot fault 343 for wanting to focus on gameplay first and foremost in this test. Not a demo where everything is set in stone and they say beta to make people feel special.

Gameplay will speak for itself in the long run and that is what will keep the game alive.

Y'all realize this isn't coming out for another year, right? This is a beta.

With some of the posts in here, seems there's some seriously selective reading happening.

Halo 5 runs at 720p is what I assume some people are seeing and are then rushing to post based on what they think they just read.

Only explanation...

renjworks

Neo Member
even first party could not consistently achieve 1080? but we know this already right? now and for the rest of the generation.

They said that the mysterious "Halo on Xbox One in 2014", which was MCC, is 1080p60.

One year before release 720p60 is ok. Really hope they can achieve the dynamic resolution like AW for the final game. The IQ of AW is great.

That's fine, I actually don't mind having the game under 1080p while it performs solid 60fps.

EGM1966

Makes sense to me. I felt gameplay wasnt as good in Halo 4 and i believe a contributing factor was putting being "pretty" too high as a priority and competing with Sony first party like GoW and Uncharted on the visual stakes.

They need to nail gameplay for Halo 5 IMHO then make it perform as well as possible without sacrificing that gameplay. If they under deliver again then ill be done with Halo and really my main driver to eventualky pick up an Xbox.

Halo 5 needs to be a return to form after the disappointing Halo 4 and the rapid loss of interest in its MP.

Nzyme32

As usual the console warring folk crawl out to mock this, yet I don't see anything wrong with what they have done so far. They have openly discussed the low resolution but strong frame rate, claim to only be half way through development and focused on gameplay, all while confirming that this isn't the final resolution. That seems perfectly fine. Far better than the obfuscation that goes on with other console games

LAA

Don't see the problem with beta resolution and it seems they do want to improve for final release.
I'm more worried about the overall graphics tbh. They don't look quite a leap over H4 as I was hoping it'd be. That on top of the proposed gameplay (though I'll wait on beta impressions before I condemn it for ADS)

Top Bottom