• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Minutes of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Seanspeed

Banned
It's still heavily in development visually. As someone pointed out earlier most of NPC's shadows don't have heads, and Geralt's shadow doesn't have hair. Also there seems to be an issue with the LOD, as currently it's as bad as W1 (NPCs shadows don't show up until you're about 1m away), something that is certainly not final.
Yea, its possible that initial footage was taken from snippets of full-blast potential of the visuals, while the footage we're seeing now have the graphics dialled back as they need a proper working build to show off lengths of the game at a time.

At this point, I'm expecting the final game to have been downgraded some, but it'll hopefully be a bit better than what we're seeing now at least.

The explorable world in this game is bigger than Skyrim? Is that for real?
Yes.

I would expect less in the way of dungeons and whatnot, though.

Tankshell

The explorable world in this game is bigger than Skyrim? Is that for real?

At one point in that video, the commentator states that the player is currently 14 times further away from the main city than from a large distant tree on a hill near the horizon that happens to be currently in view (which looks pretty far away as it is).

He doesn't say if that is a straight line distance (ie as the crow flies) or if that means when talking windy paths and roads however...

DMiz

The game looks like it could use some work, yes. I am curious as to how the quest structure will last throughout with the open world, too, but as I just recently started the Witcher II, it seems to have a familiar flow, at least.

All of these open world RPGs as of late have really only made me giddy at the thought of what the next Elder Scrolls game is going to be... with the current modded build I have now, the game chugs and crashes constantly. Something stable that looks as pretty (though I handily doubt it) would be amazing.

All I know is that this is one of the most amazing video games I've ever seen. I tried witcher 2 on Xbox. Something about the combat turned me off from an otherwise remarkable experience. I couldn't get into it despite some incredible dressing.

However the witcher 3 looks so incredible that it makes me want to go back and force myself to play through witcher 2.

This is one of those few games, where I see a real living breathing vibrant textured open world that's fully explorable. And the narrative is so rich and woven into the game without disrupting it! I've never watched an entire walk through before of any game, but I couldn't stop watching!

Witcher 3 is playing at the Bethesda and Rockstar level. Was going to try Shadow of Mordor, but now I'm drooling until 2/15 on media blackout.

jacobeid

Banned
The game looks incredible and I'm glad that the team has another few months to polish the game and work on the framerate issues.

Sentenza

Yes.

I would expect less in the way of dungeons and whatnot, though.
The interesting thing, on the other hand, is that they confirmed in an interview there will be dungeons in the first place, and apparently they will be very big.
That's another new thing in the series.

erawsd

Yea, its possible that initial footage was taken from snippets of full-blast potential of the visuals, while the footage we're seeing now have the graphics dialled back as they need a proper working build to show off lengths of the game at a time.

At this point, I'm expecting the final game to have been downgraded some, but it'll hopefully be a bit better than what we're seeing now at least.

Yeah, the fact that the game is barely chugging along with the graphics that are in this video, it doesn't surprise me that some of the trailer effects are missing.

All I know is that this is one of the most amazing video games I've ever seen. I tried witcher 2 on Xbox. Something about the combat turned me off from an otherwise remarkable experience. I couldn't get into it despite some incredible dressing.

However the witcher 3 looks so incredible that it makes me want to go back and force myself to play through witcher 2.

This is one of those few games, where I see a real living breathing vibrant textured open world that's fully explorable. And the narrative is so rich and woven into the game without disrupting it! I've never watched an entire walk through before of any game, but I couldn't stop watching!

Witcher 3 is playing at the Bethesda and Rockstar level. Was going to try Shadow of Mordor, but now I'm drooling until 2/15 on media blackout.

Personally I think this has the potential to far surpass Skyrim. The world is just so much richer and the narrative and writing far more compelling. Art is almost second to none as well.

Sentenza

I can't really say that I count "surpassing Skyrim" as a particularly remarkable achievement, frankly.
If it could surpass stuff like Ultima VII or Gothic 2, now that would be an entirely different matter.

Personally I think this has the potential to far surpass Skyrim. The world is just so much richer and the narrative and writing far more compelling. Art is almost second to none as well.
The potential? It has already surpassed Skyrim in my book! A bigger world that is more beautiful and livelier than Skyrim, infinitely superior gameplay, and story, if CD Projekt kept their usual quality.

Seanspeed

Banned
The interesting thing, on the other hand, is that they confirmed in an interview there will be dungeons in the first place, and apparently they will be very big.
That's another new thing in the series.
They have to do this, though. The dungeons in previous games were a joke and a huge weak point, and I found it strange that nobody ever really called them out for it. In an open-world game, you need to have reasons to go exploring and that almost invariably means having 'dungeons', and they'll have to be a good deal better than they were in TW1 and TW2.

I'm interested in seeing just how big, detailed and numerous they are. I think it's gonna be an important part of how good the 'open world' nature of the game is.

The potential? It has already surpassed Skyrim in my book! A bigger world that is more beautiful and livelier than Skyrim, infinitely superior gameplay, and story, if CD Projekt kept their usual quality.
Infinitely superior gameplay? Like, combat-wise? Cuz that's a big stretch if you ask me. It looks fancier, but I don't rate the combat in TW1 or TW2 highly at all and still prefer it in Skyrim, jank and all(actually archery is a blast).

PerZona

Just watched the whole 35 mins video, I like the world and story that was shown. Loving the last quest in this video. The music played in this video is really good too. Not to mention the graphics is incredible, I would probably upgrade my rig soon because of this game.

Sentenza

They have to do this, though. The dungeons in previous games were a joke and a huge weak point
Well, it's not that they were a joke.
Skyrim's dungeon are a joke. The Witcher 2's dungeon were simply non-existing.
And people probably didn't call them out because 8while I love them when properly done) it's not like any RPG needs them.
Gothic 2 for instance has one of the best living worlds in the genre, with some of the msot rewarding environmental exploration, and yet it didn't have a single dungeon.

Infinitely superior gameplay? Like, combat-wise? Cuz that's a big stretch if you ask me. It looks fancier, but I don't rate the combat in TW1 or TW2 highly at all.
I don't rate it highly either, but I rate Skyrim's one even lower.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, it's not that they were a joke.
Skyrim's dungeon are a joke. The Witcher 2's dungeon were simply non-existing.
Ahd people probably didn't call them out because 8while I love them when properly done) it's not like any RPG needs them.
Gothic 2 for instance has one of the best living worlds in the genre, with some of the msot rewarding environmental exploration, and yet it didn't have a single dungeon.
TW1 and TW2 do have dungeons. You've probably forgotten about them because they were seriously that forgettable.

I don't rate it highly either, but I rate Skyrim's one even lower.
Ok yea man I get it - you don't like Skyrim. Pretty sure we've done this before where you try and objectively prove how Skyrim is a bad game.

Sentenza

That's a convenient argument.
Well, it's the truth.
A "dungeon" in gaming terms is supposed to be a complex, often multi-layered labyrinth with combat, puzzles, rewards at the end.
The Witcher didn't have anything resembling that concept, just a bunch of fairly simply and linear caves here and there.

I'm not defending the game in this sense, quite the opposite. I think calling them dungeons would be dignifying them of some recognition that they just don't deserve.

TW1 and TW2 do have dungeons. You've probably forgotten about them because they were seriously that forgettable.

Ok yea man I get it - you don't like Skyrim. Pretty sure we've done this before where you try and objectively prove how Skyrim is a bad game.
I can remember tw1 but not 2's. And i've played through 2 at least 5 times. Maybe i just didn't think about them as dungeons.
So yeah for me it's kinda non existant too.

Hypron

It looks more responsive which was the big criticism people had with Witcher 2... but in exchange, it also looks like more arcade-y. Those dashes looks like they are taken from some japanese scifi action game.

Geralt is supposed to have superhuman reflexes and speed so it doesn't look out of place imho. If anything, he was too slow in TW2.

rashbeep

Banned
Infinitely superior gameplay? Like, combat-wise? Cuz that's a big stretch if you ask me. It looks fancier, but I don't rate the combat in TW1 or TW2 highly at all and still prefer it in Skyrim, jank and all(actually archery is a blast).

Now that I think about it I can't think of many games (first person that is) that do archery well. I do enjoy Skyrim's though.

EasyMode

Geralt is supposed to have superhuman reflexes and speed so it doesn't look out of place imho. If anything, he was too slow in TW2.

Definitely. In TW2 I felt there was a disconnect between how NPCs described Geralt's fighting technique, and how he actually played.

Denton

I wonder if rolls are out entirely. I think it would be nice if they still happened from time to time when it makes contextually sense.

It looks more responsive which was the big criticism people had with Witcher 2... but in exchange, it also looks like more arcade-y. Those dashes looks like they are taken from some japanese scifi action game.

That's a good thing in my book. Not sure if will be as good as Dragon's Dogma's combat, but it looks promising to me.

Sentenza

Skyrim isn't that big.
Well, I wouldn't surely complain about how big it is.
in fact I would gladly give up half of the map size and 80% of the dungeons as a trade-off to have the remaining content in a far better quality.

Yes, this nextgen-only game from 2015 has a bigger world than oldgen RPG from 2011.
"Old gen", "next gen"... Buzzwords.
Gens don't really matter much.You could have bigger worlds in 1992 with archaic tech.
What's actually impressive is that a Polish studio may be ableto achieve a game this big and this detailed with what's probably a mere fraction of the overall budget used in Skyrim.
Making bigger and more detailed world is more a matter of manpower and productivity than technical limitations.

Well everything is smaller than Daggerfall, so your logic doesn't exactly hold up.
Precisely.

erawsd

What's actually impressive is that a Polish studio may be ableto achieve a game this big and this detailed with what's probably a mere fraction of the overall budget used in Skyrim.
Making bigger and more detailed world is more a matter of manpower and productivity than technical limitations.

Oh man, I can't fathom what a Witcher could be with the budget and manpower of a Skyrim or GTA.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well everything is smaller than Daggerfall, so your logic doesn't exactly hold up.

I know about Daggerfall and that world size means nothing, but still. Skyrim and W3 are mainstream RPGs, they would not aim for large world size without content to fill it in.

Blinck

Just watched the 5.6gb video from Gamersyde.

Goddamn, the performance is awful. Is this on PC or Xbox One ?
I seriously couldn't watch the video all the way through....the stuttering was driving me mad.

That being said, it does look beautiful, although not mindblowing. But man, they really need another voice actor for Gerald.

Top Bottom