• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Minutes of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Whoa, certainly did not expect this sort of a comment. The marketing department has won.

You are judging the graphics from an 8 months ago video without any real ingame action versus the 35 minute video you have here and then say the game is 'downgraded'

That is bound to fuel some hate. You know how GAF is.

It's kind of amazing that they plan on sticking with the release date as details about the game's story, missions, enemies and ending are already on the internet.

Kezen

Banned
This is on PC right ? How worse will it look on consoles ?

The same except fair/fur physics.

See this for reference :
NVIDIA-GeForce-Witcher-3.jpg

Nvidia is CDProjekt's partner for The Witcher 3 so the tech they develop will be PC exclusive.

It's kind of amazing that they plan on sticking with the release date as details about the game's story, missions, enemies and ending are already on the internet.

The game needs some work in terms of animation and graphics, though. I doubt the delay had anything to do with the story and enemies.

Leb

The same except fair/fur physics.

See this for reference :

Nvidia is CDProjekt's partner for The Witcher 3 so the tech they develop will be PC exclusive.

Well, the Nvidia presentation from E3 2013 listed:

bloom shafts
aerial perspective fog
volume based translucency
semi-volumetric clouds
fur simulation
flexible water simulation
forward lit soft particles
water tessellation
screen space decals
DirectX 11 terrain tessellation
screen space real-time reflections

but presumably some of those will also make their way to the console.

Kezen

Banned
Ah, well. Having to lose bouncing fur is the least of my worries.
All three versions should be close enough. Extras for more powerful hardware obviously.

but presumably some of those will also make their way to the console.
I said as much on anothe thread. Those are global improvements made to their engine with the help of Nvidia but those effects will certainly be on both consoles, or at least 4/5 of them.

Daverid

Why should they change anything?

Frankly I think it shows a high level of confidence if they're still willing to follow through with the game as planned even with a bunch of leaks. It shows they know their storytelling and actual in-game content is stellar enough that someone reading a few ending strings and quest descriptions isn't going to ruin the experience.

jaosobno

Gameplay is excellent, I love how controls are more action oriented. I like direct control over character. Combat is mind blowing, very fluid, excellent transitions from magic to melee. Voice acting is also very good.

On the other hand, graphics are not what was advertised so far. They are very good, but we were clearly seeing some heavy bullshots before. Seeing plenty of low res textures as well as some texture detail pop-in. We'll see what can be done about until February next year.

Also, they should upgrade Geralt with a neck. I see head, I see shoulders, but very little in between.

valkyre

I will say this again. That gif is missleading IMO. The fact that console versions wont have the amazing fur tech of PC, doesnt mean that the wolves will look like ass as they do in the comparison. Hell , 2008 MGSIV's wolves look way better than that "last gen" model shown in gif:

Another_Wolf_in_the_Snowfield_(Metal_Gear_Solid_4).png

Asiriya

Neo Member
I can't believe people are complaining about the graphics, the video was one of the most impressive graphical displays I've ever seen. I felt like I was watching a film through the cutscenes...

Shredderi

So the game looks really awesome. I love how much better the minute to minute gameplay looks thanks to the substantially more fast and free movement and the JUMP ability! Visually the game looks good, even great when you take into consideration the game's big scope, but I do hope that they'll reach the fidelity showcased in the sword of destiny trailer. I will build a new computer just in time for this and want the game to look the best it can.

Jimez

Banned
I'm tyring my hardest to avoid any spoilers for Witcher III, but the graphics are looking awesome none the less.

KyleCross

So I bought the Witcher 2 on PC, my laptop couldn't play it. Then I bought it on the 360, backlogged it. Now I got a new PC that can play the Witcher 2 on High settings. I also just bought The Witcher 1 via Steam sale.

I guess I need to jump in. Any tips for the games? I downloaded that rebalance patch for The Witcher 2 which I hear is suppose to make the game better and easier and have them enabled in mods, so do they just activate automatically in game or do I have to do something in the in-game menu to go about it?

Sentenza

Does this mean there's heavy amounts of exposition?
Quite the opposite. Those games tend to take a bit too literally the suggestion "show, don't tell" so they hardly make any effort to introduce characters and factions; instead, they just throw them at you and let you grasp who/what you are dealing with through context.

Maybe all these complaints about TW2 being too hard really got to them? :)
I surely hope not, since i found both The Witcher games annoyingly easy, especially the first one.

There's some really bad LOD in that video. Like shadows of NPCs only show when you're about 1m away from them. Something which i'm sure will be fixed.

misho8723

Banned
Quite the opposite. Those games tend to take a bit too literally the suggestion "show, don't tell" so they hardly make any effort to introduce characters and factions; instead, they just throw them at you and let you grasp who/what you are dealing with through context.

Or through reading the in-game journal

Widge

bloom shafts
aerial perspective fog
volume based translucency
semi-volumetric clouds
fur simulation
flexible water simulation
forward lit soft particles
water tessellation
screen space decals
DirectX 11 terrain tessellation
screen space real-time reflections

All of which would make great abstract band names.

FACE

Banned
Yup. The swamp, Geralt etc. do not look nearly as good in this latest video as in those early screens. This was posted on TW3 forums. Yes, the image quality is terrible in the comparison shot but the downgrade is clear, nevertheless.

http://i.imgur.com/Vs3ne6l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Are those screens from the same area? It'd be pretty disappointing if they are.

kurahador

Maybe they're still optimizing the higher setting?

The video does makes an attempt at hiding the loading and animation jank by walking whenever he's entering new area or about to trigger a cutscene.

Are those screens from the same area? It'd be pretty disappointing if they are.

It's not a great idea compare screenshots with supersampling with captures taken from a compressed video (even the 5gb video is very compressed in comparison with a single image file).

This is the first time they are doing an open world game so LOD and stuttering issues are bound to happen.

At least they are being honest with it and just release a video showcasing the gameplay without even denying the game needs optimization.

A lot of AAA devs can learn a thing or two from them.

Honey Bunny

Downgrade or not..this looks and sounds amazing to me. About 100x more inspired and exciting than what I've seen from DA Inquisition. I'm saying that as someone who's never played a Witcher game but sunk plenty of time into DA Origins.

Sentenza

It's not a great idea compare screenshots with supersampling with captures taken from a compressed video (even the 5gb video is very compressed in comparison with a single image file).
That screenshot doesn't even look like it was taken from the 5 GB version.
The awful compression looks like the one from Youtube.

Combat looks OK, I was hoping to see more parrying/blocking type of defensive moves, seems like dodging is the only way to avoid attacks? I was hoping for something a little more choreographed looking in terms of the fighting. Maybe this is just a lower level character?

Edit: there seems to be a hint of some type of blocking/parrying system here - http://youtu.be/xx8kQ4s5hCY?t=21m41s
I just hope there are more defensive options as the dodging looks a little silly IMO.

2nd Edit: This article gives me a ton of hope about the combat actualy - http://www.totalxbox.com/58944/the-...rnative-magic-signs-and-96-attack-animations/

Hypron

Finally watched this entirely. Holy shit that was awesome. Getting both that and Bloodborne gameplay footage on the same day is just awesome. Actually, speaking of Bloodborne. It's quite funny how Dark Souls and TW2 both came out the same year and how Bloodborne and TW3 will come both come out early next year. 2015 will be awesome for RPG fans.

I can't believe people are complaining about the graphics, the video was one of the most impressive graphical displays I've ever seen. I felt like I was watching a film through the cutscenes...

Yeah. What's up with people.

Combat looks OK, I was hoping to see more parrying/blocking type of defensive moves, seems like dodging is the only way to avoid attacks? I was hoping for something a little more choreographed looking in terms of the fighting. Maybe this is just a lower level character?

Edit: there seems to be a hint of some type of blocking/parrying system here - http://youtu.be/xx8kQ4s5hCY?t=21m41s
I just hope there are more defensive options as the dodging looks a little silly IMO.

Yeah there's a parry against the guy holding the shield. Whoever was playing was being unnecessarily cautious given that it looked he was playing on easy with how fast enemies were dropping.

eshwaaz

Downgrade or not..this looks and sounds amazing to me. About 100x more inspired and exciting than what I've seen from DA Inquisition. I'm saying that as someone who's never played a Witcher game but sunk plenty of time into DA Origins.
In terms of the world, I agree that Witcher 3 is more exciting than Dragon Age: Inquisition, at least based on what's been shown so far. Witcher looks like a true open world, while Dragon Age seems like a series of branching extra-wide "corridors" that give the illusion of an open world. Not that that will necessarily end up being a bad thing, but it will likely limit the sense of freedom and exploration at the very least.

erawsd

Yeah there's a parry against the guy holding the shield. Whoever was playing was being unnecessarily cautious given that it looked he was playing on easy with how fast enemies were dropping.

Yep. It seems like they are mainly trying to show off how much mroe responsive Geralt is, as well as the new way signs work and dismemberment.

jaosobno

I know that many people don't notice this, but I love how lot of monsters (and monstrous NPCs) are shaped by old Slavic legends.

And those 3 hags look amazing (and disgusting at the same time). Specially the one that seem to carry a dead child (?) in a bag around her waist. Fuck, this game could give me nightmares.

What I'd also like to see is improvements in character animations in cutscenes. Animations seem quite crude at times and they definitely need work.

Sentenza

I know that many people don't notice this, but I love how lot of monsters (and monstrous NPCs) are shaped by old Slavic legends.

And those 3 hags look amazing (and disgusting at the same time). Specially the one that seem to carry a dead child (?) in a bag around her waist. Fuck, this game could give me nightmares.

What I'd also like to see is improvements in character animations in cutscenes. Animations seem quite crude at times and they definitely need work.
The "crones" are modeled around the Baba Yaga from the european/russian folklore, I think. Even the way they act (being a source of wisdom and knowledge while still being quite dangerous to interact with) fits the tradition.
Creature design has always been an absolute highlight of this franchise, by the way.

It's her snack. And personally I am scared of that other witch's hive-like eye. NOPE.

woen

I'm not really impressed by the graphics. There are technical problems (popping etc.) but the overall rendering doesn't fell right, consistent. Event the animations are old-gen, rigid.

Maybe it's the 5GB compression, I don't know.

I hope the retail PS4 version will look at least the same, or better (since it's still in development...but I don't expect 1080p@60fps)

I like the sound design, it must be impressive in 5.1

Seanspeed

Banned
Game definitely doesn't quite the same wow-factor from initial footage, even taking into account the lower quality source video.

A little disappointing, but that's ok. Even having Witcher 2-like graphics with a game bigger than Skyrim and as detailed as we're seeing in the footage is a hell of an achievement.

And honestly, I'm enjoying the visuals in Divinity: Original Sin at the moment, which aren't anything special, but the art style is great and The Witcher 3 has that, plus looks way way better from a technical perspective while being a somewhat similar sort of RPG.

It should still be one hell of a game, both to look at and to play.

A little disappointing, but that's ok. Even having Witcher 2-like graphics with a game bigger than Skyrim and as detailed as we're seeing in the footage is a hell of an achievement.

I wish people would remember this when they talk about the game's visuals. We're talking about massive scale here, this level of visuals and animation in a game of this size is nothing short of amazing.

Game definitely doesn't quite the same wow-factor from initial footage, even taking into account the lower quality source video.

And honestly, I'm enjoying the visuals in Divinity: Original Sin at the moment, which aren't anything special, but the art style is great and The Witcher 3 has that, plus looks way way better from a technical perspective while being a somewhat similar sort of RPG.

It should still be one hell of a game, both to look at and to play.
It's still heavily in development visually. As someone pointed out earlier most of NPC's shadows don't have heads, and Geralt's shadow doesn't have hair. Also there seems to be an issue with the LOD, as currently it's as bad as W1 (NPCs shadows don't show up until you're about 1m away), something that is certainly not final.

More talky than I would have expected / liked having never played any of the previous Witcher games. And the dialogue isn't particularly good... :/ but still looks really good.

Top Bottom