• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

neptunes

slim-unboxing11-hands.jpg

Power brick isn't all that small.

Probably the same size as the Gamecube one, or the 1st PSTwo.

isny

napkin dispenser
MikeE21286 said:
I don't get why there is still a brick.....no new news to anybody, but the original 360 hardware must have been worst designed consumer device ever.

I mean 5 years later and we still have the damn power brick and are barely smaller? FFS

The less they have the change, the more money is saved.

Pooya

5 USB ports is pretty impressive (removed MU ports are turned to USB ports basically), I hope Sony follows this.

Why For?

Banned
I actually quite like the design now that I've seen it properly, but WHY GLOSSY?!?!?!

I'll trade in one of my Arcades and put the difference to get this though, no doubt. Can't wait.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
NomarTyme said:
This should have been the first Xbox 360! oh well I'm glad they finally added HDMI, bigger HD, and Wifi.

What. They've had HDMI for ages...

seady

It's crazy that the big 3 realize this console cycle is going to last unusually longer, so they keep releasing new model and bump back up the price at the same time.

Wallach

NullPointer said:
Its got to be a different disk drive though, right?

Right now I have a functional Elite with a drive that can't recognize a disk to save its life. So, basically its a drain bamaged unit now. I'm hesitant to replace it with a unit with the same cheap drive though.

The spec sheet lists the slim as "whisper quiet". Didn't a lot of the noise come from the drive? So, could I expect at least new drive hardware?

Probably so. The new drive is touch sensitive (i.e. there is no physical microswitch for the open/close) so I'm guessing it is a different drive altogether.

NullPointer said:
Its got to be a different disk drive though, right?

Right now I have a functional Elite with a drive that can't recognize a disk to save its life. So, basically its a drain bamaged unit now. I'm hesitant to replace it with a unit with the same cheap drive though.

The spec sheet lists the slim as "whisper quiet". Didn't a lot of the noise come from the drive? So, could I expect at least new drive hardware?

Unfortunately no. The disc drive is the exact same hardware, with better noise dampeners. So it will be quieter, but otherwise exactly the same.

Pimpbaa

slimunboxing22hands.jpg

You can see the fan from that pic of the motherboard. I don't like how open the vents are, dust is just gonna pour in if you put it horizontal.

Is it just me, or is the eject button in a really weird place? It's like they just randomly shoved it there...

Anyway, I'm sold. I just hope there isn't much of a delay getting to NZ.

LQX

Funny but this 360 reminds me of the the PS3 fat design which I love. Sony ditched it to save money so I wonder if this the cost MS less or more. It will be interesting to see the cost breakdown because it appears to be of higher quality.

Domino Theory said:
So how does this work with people who want to transfer their content from their old HDDs? I have a 120GB HDD on my current 360 Arcade, but I want to be sure I can transfer the content to the Slim before I buy it.

Put stuff on USB stick, moved them over.

I don't care if the internal HDD is propriety or not... just kill the 32gig limit on external harddrives. As a laptop user, I have a bunch of very large external HDD's I would love to use on my 360, and PS3 if they ever decided to full support external HDD's.

McHuj

Actually, I take back what I said last night. The new box looks much better. It's not great, but it's not horrible. I really wanted a sleek box, I wish it didn't have the x shape to it. However, I like the glossy finish. If it were matte, I think it would look really cheap. Still $299, too much.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I would rather a cheaper option without the Wi-Fi but it looks a lot better in all these pictures than that low quality leak from yesterday. I will buy it in July but on the condition that I can easily transfer ALL my old 360 data across at no extra cost to me (I already own one of the HDD transfer cables).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zombie James said:
That's a lot of vents:

http://img2.pict.com/b8/a5/0e/3661121/0/slimunboxing21hands.jpg[/im

[img]http://img2.pict.com/b8/c1/c5/3661124/0/slimunboxing22hands.jpg[/im
[/QUOTE]

wow@ vents on the side , dust will be all over inside the poor thing.

[QUOTE=Pimpbaa ]You can see the fan from that pic of the motherboard. I don't like how open the vents are, dust is just gonna pour in if you put it horizontal[/QUOTE]

yeah that really big design flaw imo , and since all my system lay horizontally I don't know if I should jump to slim right now or not.

[QUOTE=Zombie James]Hard drive still[B] proprietary[/B] :/[/QUOTE]

smh

anyway well I hope we can transfer data from old xbox HDD to the new one via Ethernet cable then( like PS3).

DonMigs85

If I ever get one, I intend to set it horizontally so that vent on top is just gonna get dusty.
However if the fan is in there blowing outwards, then I guess I could just cover it up with cloth or plastic when not in use.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Chill out yall. The power brick will just sit behind your TV, totally out of sight. No need to freak out over it.

neptunes

LQX said:
Funny but this 360 reminds me of the the PS3 fat design which I love. Sony ditched it to save money so I wonder if this the cost MS less or more. It will be interesting to see the cost breakdown because it appears to be of higher quality.
The savings they got from combining the CPU+GPU probably evens out everything else.

lastplayed said:
Is it just me, or is the eject button in a really weird place? It's like they just randomly shoved it there...

Anyway, I'm sold. I just hope there isn't much of a delay getting to NZ.

How is it random, it's on top of the tray, but hey they problably want you to you know Kinect you Xbox! Voice Command is the future.

isny

napkin dispenser
Willy Wanka said:
I would rather a cheaper option without the Wi-Fi but it looks a lot better in all these pictures than that low quality leak from yesterday. I will buy it in July but on the condition that I can easily transfer ALL my old 360 data across at no extra cost to me (I already own one of the HDD transfer cables).

I can see them making you buy something extra to transfer the files.

Maximus.

wow thats dumb that its microsofts harddrive. Also, the power brick is still huge! PS3 slim is way smaller than this thing from the looks of it.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Wallach said:
Probably so. The new drive is touch sensitive (i.e. there is no physical microswitch for the open/close) so I'm guessing it is a different drive altogether.

That doesn't really mean much. The Original 360 drive was a generic PC drive with a custom eject button connected to it. This will likely be the same.

Dynamic3

So this includes a play and charge kit?

Also, is transferring your XBLA games and DLC as easy as signing in to the new Xbox and redownloading everything?

I don't understand the hard-on for slot-loading. Sure, it looks neat but with a tray if your machine dies you're almost always able to pry the disc out before you send your machine in. In the PS3 YLOD thread there are stories from people whose drive died with a disc in and they had to send it in with the disc still in there.

neptunes said:
slim-unboxing11-hands.jpg

Power brick isn't all that small.

Probably the same size as the Gamecube one, or the 1st PSTwo.
the Jasper power brick is pretty light/small compared to the original 360 so even if thats not any smaller its fine

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Zombie James said:

Having the vent on top is an awful choice in terms of design aesthetics and stackable cooling.
I'm surprised you still need that vast amount of cooling for 5 year old, re-designed hardware.

Overall looks smarter than the original, no doubt they will release white hardware which will look more mass market friendly. I still wouldn't call it a good example of industrial design.

The angular form and high gloss, probably enhanced by the black is at odds with the targeted market though.

Burai said:
That doesn't really mean much. The Original 360 drive was a generic PC drive with a custom eject button connected to it. This will likely be the same.

I don't know. I'm sure they will want to make it more difficult to flash the disc drive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shit, double post from way back.

It looks sleek, though, it'll probably be a bitch with fingerprints and dust but whatev.

Top Bottom