• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

dankir

Houston3000 said:
I kind of wanted to buy a new 360 and my friend's just red-ringed a couple of weeks ago (out of warranty). $299 is too expensive though, there's absolutely no need for a 250GB HDD... at least not in my case, I would never buy videos on Live and I can't imagine needing more than 60GB or so for the few XBLA games I buy (hell, 20GB is enough for me).

I would easily of paid $200 for this and wouldn't mind sacrificing most all of that hard drive space.

Wait until you start installing games buddy, all that extra space is a godsend.
Once I know how my existing data can be transferred to this 250GB HDD I'm off to buy one instantly

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jonremedy said:
You can transfer data using USB sticks and harddrives since the update earlier this year.

I hope they come up with a better solution than this, because I'm not moving 90 gb of data like that.

FrankT

brotkasten said:
New specs from Engadget and it looks like the PSU is still external.

06-14-10stelfaq.jpg

Woot @ the user swappable HDD

Very, very nice.

Woot @ the user swappable

This so much. Down to 45nm now and on one chipset so that turned out correct as well.

Ding

Domino Theory said:
So how does this work with people who want to transfer their content from their old HDDs? I have a 120GB HDD on my current 360 Arcade, but I want to be sure I can transfer the content to the Slim before I buy it.
Well, as a worst case, you could use a USB stick to transfer content to the new 360. Hopefully you will be able to do a direct transfer via a USB cable, but who knows at this point.

A friend of mine just transferred the contents of his old 20GB drive, to a new 120GB drive, using an 8GB thumb drive. It took two passes, but it went quite quickly. Smaller thumb drives would require more trips.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
good stuff on the internal and the swappable HDD , all good stuff really but I still not sure about the side air vents tho :/

Azure Phoenix said:
Good.

External PSUs are a godsend for import gamers or people who travel frequently, buying a cheap PSU for the voltage of the region you are in beats having to empty your wallet for a morbidly expensive stepdown/up converter that can withstand a device with such high energy consumption.

they can do universal PSU ya know.

Jay Sosa

Houston3000 said:
I kind of wanted to buy a new 360 and my friend's just red-ringed a couple of weeks ago (out of warranty). $299 is too expensive though, there's absolutely no need for a 250GB HDD... at least not in my case, I would never buy videos on Live and I can't imagine needing more than 60GB or so for the few XBLA games I buy (hell, 20GB is enough for me).

I would easily of paid $200 for this and wouldn't mind sacrificing most all of that hard drive space.

Well I guess that when 299 is the official price we will see a price drop to 250 pretty soon, and also a few interesting bundles.

And :lol @ thet "spec sheet", how cheesy.. "The only noise you'll hear is your own laughing"..who the fuck wrote this shit.

But gotta say it's awesome that they realized their fault and did smoething bout it.

No_Style

brotkasten said:

Amazing if true. Hopefully there isn't some kind of "Official Xbox 360 internal hard drive"

I'm still disappointed by the lack of internal PSU though. It makes moving the unit around a whole lot easier.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm a bit out of the loop here, but could I use a USB thumbdrive to transfer my gamertag from ye olde Xbox360 to the new one since the new one isn't compatible with old memory units?

Rainier

DeaconKnowledge said:
Man, Kinect is huge.
I've changed my mind a little about that. It looks big compared to the new 360, but if you use the current 360 as a size reference, it's not that bad. Still have no idea where I'd hook it up if I decide to get one though. Damn TV stand is already too crowded.

pxleyes

Banned
brotkasten said:

06-14-10stelfaq.jpg

No, the HDD is swappable, but no one said it was a bare drive you could swap with one you buy yourself. Odds are it will still be in an MS case.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, can you lay this thing flat or does it need to stand? Given those vents...

Edit: NVM, saw it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh I totally forgot about memory cards.

So much for my free copies of Worms and Geometry Wars 1. I wish that they'd unlock these but there's no way MS would care. :lol

this guy

Um... so I called my gamestop and they only offer $80 for an elite +$25 bonus trade in credit? That's a joke right?

Might not be getting a slim after all....

Rainier

pxleyes said:
No, the HDD is swappable, but no one said it was a bare drive you could swap with one you buy yourself. Odds are it will still be in an MS case.
They showed it on GameTrailers. It looked proprietary to me.

Edit: beaten.

surly

Banned
Hesemonni said:
I'm a bit out of the loop here, but could I use a USB thumbdrive to transfer my gamertag from ye olde Xbox360 to the new one since the new one isn't compatible with old memory units?
Yes. Any USB stick/drive of at least 1 GB in size, once formatted by the console, will work just like the old memory units - better in fact, because you can install disc-based games to a USB stick/drive. The maximum usable space on any single USB stick/drive is 16 GB, even if the drive is bigger than that. Beats using those memory units though.

Banned
Wormdundee said:
I said before, the user swappable does not mean you can use your own drive. It's still in a microsoft proprietary enclosure.

Been rocking a 20 Gig drive for years. The 250 will be plenty for a long time.

dankir said:
Wait until you start installing games buddy, all that extra space is a godsend.
Once I know how my existing data can be transferred to this 250GB HDD I'm off to buy one instantly
Good point

I don't really even have my Xbox anymore, switched over to PS3 as my main console a couple years ago. I don't really see how installing games is necessary though, the little I do play of Xbox seems fine without installs - I think the only thing I've installed was Forza III for the car/track packs and it didn't make a big difference. Not to go off topic, I just think $300 is too much, even with a 250GB HDD.

360 slim looks nice.Interesting that Xbox was launched with an internal hard drive, Xbox 360 with external and now it's internal again.

Ding

rayner said:
I was expecting at least a $50 price-drop... or at least kinects packaged in.
The year is still young. Price cuts will probably come later, closer to the holidays, and after they've cleared the existing channel a bit.

The holy grail would be a (slim) arcade, with Kinect, for $199 or less. That seems do-able, as there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that the Kinect is expensive to build.

Cynar

chris0701 said:
The wifi is really crucial for LIVE content)ESPN、Kinetic Chat..) in your living room.

No more cat5e,thanks.

so you want to use inferior wireless over superior wired for online gaming? tsk tsk

Rainier said:
They showed it on GameTrailers. It looked proprietary to me.

Edit: beaten.

They showed it and no one took pictures? Geez ...

Synth_floyd said:
360 slim looks nice.Interesting that Xbox was launched with an internal hard drive, Xbox 360 with external and now it's internal again.
It's not internal.
Javaman said:
Custom natal port? Why on Earth would that be needed.
Because it requires more power than a standard USB port can provide.

TxdoHawk said:
Sexy, but they should have priced it at $250 and skipped the built-in wireless.
Utterly wrong. The lack of integrated wireless has probably been the biggest complaint about 360 since launch and they finally addressed it.

brotkasten said:

06-14-10stelfaq.jpg

Sounds like a very nice, needed upgrade. Hopefully built-in Wifi and user-replaceable hard drives will carry over to their next system, too. The only downside is there's no word yet on what a user with a current hard drive can do to move the data over to the new unit.

Zenith

Banned
Ding said:
The holy grail would be a (slim) arcade, with Kinect, for $199 or less. That seems do-able, as there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that the Kinect is expensive to build.

they've cut the normal Arcade to $150.

I'll bet the Harddrive is still preparatory
And off course no EURO info I'll bet its not THIS week for EU and the rest of the world because the biggest webshops in EU I have not seen it yet.

Top Bottom