• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS & 5ghz WiFi??

Eric C

Can the 3DS connect to a 5ghz WiFi network?

I know some routers can broadcast both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signals simultaneously. The 3DS can obviously connect to the 2.4ghz signal. But what if the router is ONLY broadcasting at 5ghz? Will the 3DS connect to it?

Has anyone tried?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ericsc said:
Can the 3DS connect to a 5ghz WiFi network?

I know some routers can broadcast both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signals simultaneously. The 3DS can obviously connect to the 2.4ghz signal. But what if the router is ONLY broadcasting at 5ghz? Will the 3DS connect to it?

Has anyone tried?

B/G don't operate on the 5 spectrum. As far as I know only N and the old A that you never see anymore operate on that. So if your device is only G then no dice on the 5ghz. You're stuck in the 2.4 range.

Medalion

Banned
I've experimented with this, the 3DS cannot even see the 5GHz so you should enable the 2.4GHz if your router has it, it really should though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Medalion said:
I've experimented with this, the 3DS cannot even see the 5GHz so you should enable the 2.4GHz if your router has it, it really should though.

That's because the 3ds is only a G device, and as I said above G devices don't run on the 5ghz spectrum. Only N and A do.

Eric C

JordanLMiller said:
Hmm are these common?

They are usually described as "Selectable Dual Band" routers and they can only separately broadcast at either 2.4ghz or 5ghz, not both at the same time. I think. Also, they're usually a little cheaper than the simultaneous dual band routers too.

I checked and most of my wireless devices can support the 5ghz, so if I didn't need the range of 2.4ghz, I was thinking why should I pay more for it.

Brettison said:
B/G don't operate on the 5 spectrum. As far as I know only N and the old A that you never see anymore operate on that. So if your device is only G then no dice on the 5ghz. You're stuck in the 2.4 range.

Wait a minute are you saying the 3DS doesn't support N?

I have a 3DS... I should already know that. I know I've kept my old router on N/G combo mode with WEP for my DSlite. But I just assumed the 3DS would support N.

Medalion said:

Well I guess that answers that then.

Persona7 said:
How did Nintendo not include N compatibility?

Must be banking on the redesign with the built in slide pad.

Because almost nobody has an internet connection faster than 56Mbit a second? Why waste battery life with higher speeds of WiFi when nobody can take advantage of it anyway?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Because almost nobody has an internet connection faster than 56Mbit a second? Why waste battery life with higher speeds of WiFi when nobody can take advantage of it anyway?
Actually G only supports 25mbits downlink speed as it is half duplex so essentially anyone with a faster than 25mbits download speed (that's me) has been crippled due to Nintendo's cheapness.

AzaK

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ts_internet.jsp

From the "Wireless Router troubleShooting Tips" part of this link:

Does your router use 802.11g/n?
If your router uses 802.11n or 802.11g, it may default to only the "n" or "g" band. The "n" setting will not work at all with the Nintendo 3DS. Additionally, if you're playing Nintendo DS games with your Nintendo 3DS, the "g" setting will not work. Check your router's settings (typically in the "Wireless" tab) and make sure that it is set to "Auto," "Mixed," or something similar.

Nuclear Muffin said:

I still think it's naff people have to downgrade their entire network in some cases in order to get the 3DS online. 802.11n is pretty common now I'd think.

My latest router has 5ghz and it doesn't work with anything in my house. I tried 3DS, Wii, DS Lite, DSi, Kindle, and a laptop. None of those devices could use it.

AzaK said:
I still think it's naff people have to downgrade their entire network in some cases in order to get the 3DS online. 802.11n is pretty common now I'd think.

Yeah true, it is annoying but the 3DS is already struggling to keep its battery life afloat as it is. Adding N support would only make it worse.

wsippel

Banned
AzaK said:
Those cases are actually extremely rare. Out of more than ten wireless clients I have, only a single one even supports 802.11n, so running 802.11n only is out of the question anyway. And many n devices (like the iPhone4) are still only 2.4GHz, so 5GHz only is even less feasible. 2.4GHz is the way to go for the vast majority of customers, and will continue to be the norm for years to come.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oni Link 666 said:
My latest router has 5ghz and it doesn't work with anything in my house. I tried 3DS, Wii, DS Lite, DSi, Kindle, and a laptop. None of those devices could use it.

its one of the reasons I love my Apple stuff. I have my time capsule on 5GHz, and my MBA. I get slightly less range, but speed for backups is much better, plus way less congestion on 5GHz because not many things use it. I think I have about 10 detected 2.4GHz wifi networks from neighbours etc, all squeezing into the same spectrum.

I have a parallel 2.4GHz network for other stuff in the house

oh, and as to the original question - was that rhetorical? When did anyone ever seriously think Nintendo would support 5GHz? clearly even basic 'n' is too much for them. They'll support 'n' when the chipset costs less than buying crappy old 'g' only chipsets. Then tout it as a feature.

hirokazu

I don't see the point of 802.11n on the 3DS given its Internet functions are limited. It'd be a waste of power for little gain. Not even Apple put 5GHz support into their iOS devices even though they support 802.11n speeds, why would you expect Nintendo to when they're content with g?

I think the 3DS Wi-Fi works well as it is, unlike DS with its backwards outdated wireless tech. Also, a lot of routers have simultaneous 2.4/5GHz functionality now so you don't have to choose one or the other.

AzaK

wsippel said:
Those cases are actually extremely rare. Out of more than ten wireless clients I have, only a single one even supports 802.11n, so running 802.11n only is out of the question anyway. And many n devices (like the iPhone4) are still only 2.4GHz, so 5GHz only is even less feasible. 2.4GHz is the way to go for the vast majority of customers, and will continue to be the norm for years to come.

OK I'm obviously confused. I was thinking that regardless of whether we're talking 5GHz or 2.4GHz, that it was not possible in some cases to have a full speed 802.11n network and have a 3DS on it, even at G.

Top Bottom