• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Thread

Bit-Bit

You can now see what your friends are playing and join them online!

Now we just need more online games. I'm gonna have to go out and buy everyone a copy of Mario Kart.

You can now see what your friends are playing and join them online!

Now we just need more online games. I'm gonna have to go out and buy everyone a copy of Mario Kart.

Had this before. I think there was a smaller, stealth, update at some point because I was joining games in Mario Kart prior to the update.

I have all the NES ambassador games and about 3 dsi games. What annoys me is on boot up it takes about 3-5 seconds before all the games actually pop up on the menu system. No idea why. Hope this update speeds that up a bit.
What SD card you us...
That's because it reads the games from the SD card as opposed to the internal memory. It could be sped up a little bit, but don't expect any wonders.
Anyway, using a reasonable class SDHC card will see the icons appear more quickly than the 2GB SD card the system comes with.

zigg

Find Mii 2 is so awesome, am at the 2nd last last stage now! :D
I dislike that it's so easy to breeze through the game with Play Coins. There was potential to kick StreetPass activity in the pants here and it may have been lost.

Why don't I have maps for Sweden, Switzerland, Greece, Finland etc? Future update?
Could be that they're not subdivided into regions.

No folder option is what's keeping me from buying VC games.
I feel pretty safe in saying that you never really wanted them in the first place.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I feel pretty safe in saying that you never really wanted them in the first place.
Not true at all. Now that we can add the exact amount for a game (my other complaint) I want to buy many more games (I've only bought Zelda LA so far) . I already have the 10 NES games and I already can't stand the clutter on my home screen. It's why I deleted all of the 3D game trailers or else I would've kept them. Add to that the 10 GBA games that are coming and it's really annoying. My brother gives me a hard time because I have 7 folders (Demos, Move Demos, Games, Genesis Games, Minis, PSOne Games, Telltale Games) on my PS3 and I tell him that's just because I've been a little lazy to split that up further. I NEED folders on my 3DS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The friends list update was included around the time SM3D Land released.

Its possible to get 4:3 3D movies (320x240) playing in the video player
http://drewmedina.blogspot.com/2011/12/3d-videos-on-3ds-wip.html

Someone should make a site that enables people to download Youtube 3D vids in this exact format... I do wish Google and Nintendo would talk about getting a proper YouTube app though.
This is a good start, it means we'll soon have lots of 3D videos posted here and there on the web.

-KRS-

Why don't I have maps for Sweden, Switzerland, Greece, Finland etc? Future update?

THAT must be why I didn't even get a map icon in Mii Plaza! They simply haven't made those maps yet. They do have regions in these countries for the 3DS so it should just be a simple update in the future.

Edit: @zigg: There are regions for those countries though. At least in Sweden. I've set the "Skåne County" region on my 3DS.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How many demos are available in the Japanese store, and how are they presented?

I'm wondering if Tri G's "self destruct" (expiration after xx plays) is a standard or up to publishers.

And has Nintedo talked about the possibility of removing demos from the store or will time only tell? Is the process of putting them up much easier for devs and pubs?

Everyone should arrange to change their 3DS countries to some impossible regions for the 2012 Zelda concerts. My Japan map is pathetic ;//

Bit-Bit

Woot! Nice to see you can add games to be download without you having to have the 3DS on. Now to download those classics!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
good god, it dropped a ton of cheevs on me when i went into the mii thing.

Install of Surechigai 2 ... taking a while :/

edit: hmm black screen crash? trying again later

sakipon

I'm wondering if Tri G's "self destruct" (expiration after xx plays) is a standard or up to publishers.

The eShop has got 7 demos. 5 of them have a limit of 30 plays, 2 of them have even less (5 for Crayon Shin-chan and 10 for the Flora & Fauna thing). It's pretty safe to assume Nintendo is expecting, or atleast strongly advising publishers to limit demos. The demos do remind you of the count when you're clicking on it, probably to also prevent accidental launches.

Currently the demos are highlighted their own eShop front page folder, but in general they simply added a demo icon to go along with the other related material (video, ratings, title info).

Somnid

A note about ambassador status. This seems to be handled server-side on Nintendo's end, unless the transfer requires wi-fi there's a pretty good chance it didn't carry over and it's still tied to your old hardware. The certificate is just an app.

Effect

They need folders on the main menu. It's hard to make it not look like a mess when you have alot of stuff.

This. I do hope they'll be able to add this. Right now I've tried to put spaces between various sections. One for the system apps, then a section for the NES Ambassador games, and then one for 3DS Downloads (Pokemon app and 3D Classics) and then one for movies. It has gotten very crowded and folders would certainly be welcome. Something like what the iPod Touch/Phone has would be nice or even if you were taken to another screen would be good.

Chopper

A note about ambassador status. This seems to be handled server-side on Nintendo's end, unless the transfer requires wi-fi there's a pretty good chance it didn't carry over and it's still tied to your old hardware. The certificate is just an app.

That's some sad shit right there. How informed is that assumption?

Edit:
dallow_bg said:
You have to connect to the 'internet' to do the transfer no? Like DSi.
*hopes*

dallow_bg

nods at old men

pdk27

With this update can you transfer a VC game from one 3DS to another? My son bought Mario Picross on his 3DS and doesn't like it. I'd like to put the game on my 3DS. Is this possible now?

@MUWANdo

Banned
So, uh, what can I download from Best Buy?

Mostly goofy promotional stuff and Nintendo-themed fluff (I think they were giving away a Star Fox trivia app last time I checked?) but there's also some non-worthless perks to it, like a 10% discount for all 3DS software in their store if you have the app, and they're supposed to be able to push demos onto your system too.

How many demos are available in the Japanese store, and how are they presented?

And has Nintedo talked about the possibility of removing demos from the store or will time only tell? Is the process of putting them up much easier for devs and pubs?

There are quite a few of 'em - Monster Hunter, DOA, Cooking Mama, Puyo Puyo, Crayon Shin-chan, Love Plus, Nintendo's Japan-only flora/fauna encyclopedia software, and some other thing I didn't recognise. Based on what I've read, it seems like they each have unique play limits - MH is capped at 30 plays, some are capped lower (Crayon Shin-Chan is capped at 5, I think!) so while the cap is probably mandatory I'm guessing it's up to the publishers/devs to decide how lenient they wanna be with it.

Aside from what's there to discover for ourselves on the store we know nothing about 'em, or how devs/publishers feel about 'em.

ToD_

I didn't know the update included the option of using exact amounts on the eshop. I can't stand points based systems, so this is a welcome change for me. I see myself purchasing more content now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
With this update can you transfer a VC game from one 3DS to another? My son bought Mario Picross on his 3DS and doesn't like it. I'd like to put the game on my 3DS. Is this possible now?

I think it's all or nothing, including your profile.

There are quite a few of 'em - Monster Hunter, DOA, Cooking Mama, Puyo Puyo, Crayon Shin-chan, Love Plus, Nintendo's Japan-only flora/fauna encyclopedia software, and some other thing I didn't recognise. Based on what I've read, it seems like they each have unique play limits - MH is capped at 30 plays, some are capped lower (Crayon Shin-Chan is capped at 5, I think!) so while the cap is probably mandatory I'm guessing it's up to the publishers/devs to decide how lenient they wanna be with it.

Aside from what's there to discover for ourselves on the store we know nothing about 'em, or how devs/publishers feel about 'em.

How does sleep mode work with demos?

Somnid

I dunno, haven't done it. But due to the kinda work-around nature of the program I have a feeling it's not that straight forward. Even then they have to do some back-end magic to make it happen and you wouldn't be able to tell (unless it happens to show up in their tool). I wouldn't throw away your old 3DS just yet...

Erethian

That's some sad shit right there. How informed is that assumption?

The Ambassador registration isn't tied to your system per se, but your eShop account. It's why you had to log in before the cut off date.

Depending on how the transfer works it might just tie your eShop account to your new system, in which case it isn't an issue.

At least for now we know that the NES games are still available after you transfer, the question is whether one will still get their GBA games. One way to check would be to go to the website where you can determine if you're registered as an Ambassador, and enter the serial number of the system you just transferred all your stuff to.

The Ambassador registration isn't tied to your system per se, but your eShop account. It's why you had to log in before the cut off date.

Depending on how the transfer works it might just tie your eShop account to your new system, in which case it isn't an issue.

At least for now we know that the NES games are still available after you transfer, the question is whether one will still get their GBA games. One way to check would be to go to the website where you can determine if you're registered as an Ambassador, and enter the serial number of the system you just transferred all your stuff to.

I suspect that is highly likely, if you think about it - they would have to do this in order to enable you to re-download your previously downloaded apps and games, should you choose to delete them in future.

Friend codes used to reset if you formatted a console, but the transfer tool appears to preserve them when they do a transfer -- therefore, this must be transferring a lot of data that is locked away on the console's internal storage / NAND - probably including the console ID / shop account details as well as the Mii / friend code stuff.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The system transfer stuff bodes well for Wii U.

I'm still miffed that when Nintendo transferred all of my WiiWare/VC to a new system it wiped all saves associated with them, my friend's list and my precious play time records. All right, so I guess none of that was really IMPORTANT, but it was just a sign of how "out of touch" they were with the whole thing.

Chopper

I would love to think that there is someone on Gaf proactive enough to try out this stuff. I refuse to purchase a new console until I'm convinced the screen scratching issue has been fixed, but would love to know my benefits are still intact when I do eventually replace my launch unit.

The eShop has got 7 demos. 5 of them have a limit of 30 plays, 2 of them have even less (5 for Crayon Shin-chan and 10 for the Flora & Fauna thing). It's pretty safe to assume Nintendo is expecting, or atleast strongly advising publishers to limit demos. The demos do remind you of the count when you're clicking on it, probably to also prevent accidental launches.
Weird how it was like "30 plays! Thats too few, they're nuts like" and now its "wait 30, thats a high, high bid".

Somnid

I would love to think that there is someone on Gaf proactive enough to try out this stuff. I refuse to purchase a new console until I'm convinced the screen scratching issue has been fixed, but would love to know my benefits are still intact when I do eventually replace my launch unit.

After GBA games are released it should be moot since those should be transferable. This is for people who transfer before getting all the Ambassador reward software.

Erethian

We already had a guy on GAF take the plunge, which is why we know the transfer copies everything. Friends list, activity logs, even how your icons were arranged on the Home menu.

Only question at this point is the GBA stuff.

Chopper

After GBA games are released it should be moot since those should be transferable. This is for people who transfer before getting all the Ambassador reward software.

I know it seems extremely hopeful, but I was hoping that Ambassaddor Status will continue to be a benefit in some way, after the GBA games are released.

Jaruru

system transfer with the Pikmins moving is just too cute hahaha
the transfer takes quite a while, given I don't have a lot in my 3DS
be patient and charge your systems

Top Bottom