• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Reviews/Recommendations/Condemnations Thread | We've been separated

Status
Not open for further replies.
So judging by the reviews in here, if I were to get some good 3DS starter games I can't go wrong with SM3DL, MK7, KI:U, and OOT3D, right? Any two of those would probably keep me occupied til Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are released, which I'm just tempted to wait for anyway since they may come with some new colors for the XL.

nmanma

Style Savvy Trendsetters Recommend

This game can be played in two ways:

1) The first one is a dress-up game, where you select the nicest clothes and make the best outfits for your customers or for yourself and derive enjoyment of creating something pretty

2) As a business sim, trying to maximize profit and minimize costs

I played it from the second approach and found this to be a very good business sim. In this game you manage a boutique, so besides recommending outfits for your customers you have to get clothes from providers of different brands.

The depth of this game results from the different variables that your customers consider in order to decide if they buy or not. Tastes, brands, seasons, budget, color, customer history, all play a role, so even if you don't have the perfect product, you still have a shot at making a sale.

Other source of depth is that there are things you can do to influence the kind of customers you receive and the things they buy, like wearing store's clothes in public, winning fashion contests, appearing in magazines, changing the outside/inside of your store, the outfit your mannequin is wearing

Another thing that makes this game fun is that after you finish deciding an item to sell you can ask the customer their opinion or make them try it on right away if you are confident in your choice. If you do the latter and fail, you just lost a sale, but if you get it right you build your relationship with that customer quicker, and from what I've played, it's more likely that the customer asks you to pick more stuff for him to buy. That makes it very rewarding to keep an eye on your customers' likely tastes (at the beginning they tell you explicitly what they want, but as the game goes on they start leaving you on your own to tell)

How hard this game is depends on how varied you want your offer to be. Since I grew up with the idea that losing a sale was a sin I tried to focus on one brand while keeping some stock of the other brands, so it's being somewhat hard for me to consistently have both cash and a healthy stock. Being more strict about what you buy would make this game easier but then you'd advance at a slower pace since you'd have to reject customers more frequently

The online isn't spectacular, you can upload designs to the online store and check designs made by other people. Those designs can be sold or bought and the money goes to your game. That money can't be used to buy stock for your main store but you can use it to buy furniture, remodel your store, makeup, haircuts and buying outfits on the online store, so it doesn't feel like a waste of time. And since there are 12000 items, you will always find something new at the online shop

Other relevant stuff: There are men clothes, the game's humor is pretty good, you can't play as a male character, this game needs an OT has an OT, there will be Animal Crossing dlc (I guess free dlc) in the future, you can make customers spend more than their budget (if the outfit is outstanding, I made a girl on a $800 budget spend a little over $1000 with accesories)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So judging by the reviews in here, if I were to get some good 3DS starter games I can't go wrong with SM3DL, MK7, KI:U, and OOT3D, right? Any two of those would probably keep me occupied til Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are released, which I'm just tempted to wait for anyway since they may come with some new colors for the XL.

Indeed. Kid Masterpiece Icarus alone is going to last you a good 3 months (if not more). Add to that the excellent SM3D Land, and you are set until AC and FE.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

get Ghost Recon too. It's dirt cheap nowadays and will last you a long time

NFreak

Dream Trigger 3D (+-)

I picked up Dream Trigger 3D on a whim back during the first few months after the 3DS came out because there was somewhat of a drought of games and it was extremely cheap at a local game store. I wasn't expecting much as what little reviews of the game were not extremely positive, but I was pleasantly surprised by Dream Trigger 3D after popping the game into my 3DS.

So Dream Trigger can be described as a shoot em up but it has a few pretty unique aspects that make it stand out from others in the genre. The player controls a reticle of sorts and can shoot enemies using the L button or using a face button on the handheld. The twist is that your enemies are actually not visible on screen (you can see where they are when they get ready to shoot) and they can not be shot unless they become visible. That's where the touch screen comes into play. You can draw on a grid on the touch screen to reveal enemies with a sonar. This is all controlled in a similar fashion to Kid Icarus Uprising as far as how you hold the system, but if those controls aren't comfortable for you the face buttons can also be used for the sonar instead. This sonar mechanic makes for an extremely hectic experience as you try to pay attention to what is going on up on the top screen (with tons of bullets flying everywhere) and where you want to place your sonar patterns on the bottom screen.

Now the issue many critics seemed to have with the game was that it was too difficult to pay attention to everything that was going on making for a very difficult experience. There are a couple things that actually make the game much easier that others may not have known about when playing the game. While the player is shooting, they are temporarily invincible and can fly through the bullets to make them disappear. You only have a limited shot that recharges though so it's not like it makes the game too easy. There are also power-ups in the game to help you out along the way including invincibility and unlimited shot.

Visually the game has some pretty trippy looking backgrounds that look pretty nice in stereoscopic 3D and the soundtrack is decent enough. There are quite a few levels that can be unlocked by completing some of the achievement style goals in the game ranging in difficulty and each level has a boss at the end that appears after a certain number of points are earned. The bosses are actually one of the cons of the game as there are only a few different variations and they are all fairly similar. Like the bosses there is not a whole lot of variety in the gameplay either other than different enemy wave patterns. That's what really stops the game from being truly great. I'd definitely recommend shmup fans to try it out if you can find the game for cheap (the game can be had for less than 10 bucks on Amazon) but I don't think the game is for everyone.

Kerub

Banned

Don't forget to download Pushmo!

Super Mario 3D Land (+)

Just completed the game 100%, clearing the secret stage with both Mario and Luigi (what a challenge). I have to say the game is awesome. It took me a week to complete it 100% and I was loving every part of it.

The first 8 worlds are pretty easy (though it gets harder in the end), but the second 8 are really challenging. It has all the Mario magic you come to expect, and though you cannot change the camera freely, I think this decision was the right one, as with the fixed cameras the developers put some spectacular 3D effects into play, making this game a perfect demonstration of the 3DS capabilities and a fun and addictive Mario gem.

I give this game a 9/10. My only complaints are these:

- The controls are not all the tight you'd want them to be. A lot of times in extreme situations Mario didn't do what I wanted him to do. Don't take me wrong, the vast majority of the time the controls are perfect and they require expertise to master, but sometimes in difficult situations it gets a little frustrating.
- The 3D is great but... with the challenge of the later stages and the adrenaline of me playing 100%, a lot of times a saw double because I moved the console a little bit to jump or whatever and because of that I lost a lot of lives. It's also a little bit frustrating. Wish you could move a little bit more the console without doubling the image.

Those last two points may seem to undermine the game too much, but that's not true. These are only two little cons that don't affect the game negatively enough or make you don't want to play it.

I totally recommend this game.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Super Mario 3D Land (+) My favorite game thus far for the 3DS and the best reason to own the system if you like platformers. The design of the game finds something genuinely new within the familiar confines of a 3D Mario. Where SM64 was designed around expansive playground levels, this game is focused on extremely tight courses that have an absolutely excellent difficulty curve. By the end of the game you are fully literate in the details of the mechanics and the difficulty steps up to give you challenges that push your abilities and test your limits. There are moments of sheer exhilaration where you improvise a maneuver and succeed and it just feels amazing. That feeling of challenge and "surprising yourself" is what I look for in a platformer, and this one is up there with recent greats like Super Meat Boy and Spelunky.

The game feels perfectly designed for the 3DS. It seems like the developers put a ton of consideration in to the scale of the environment, the controls, the zoom level of the camera, and the length of the levels so that they all work together to form an experience that wouldn't be the same on anything else. Also gotta give Nintendo props for finally getting off their asses and producing a fully legit handheld 3D Mario. Really thoughtful portable-focused design throughout the game.

For a sequel, I'd like to see them totally ditch the short levels and make a return to the more cohesive "adventure" feeling of SM64. As much as I love the galaxy games, I've had my fill of the abstract course-like levels and I'm ready for something more epic. Just go play SM64's first level after playing this. It feels much more epic and open than any Mario game since.

mrkgoo

This. Pushmo is god tier gaming, and if you're a fan of puzzlers easily the best game on the 3DS. It's not thrill seeker stuff, but it's very clever and so much content. As much as you can create/find from others really.

I downloaded this after all the super high praise, but icant say it's god tier.

As puzzler, it reminds me more of those sliding puzzles like in Layton where you have to get a square out of a tray filled with ther oddly happen blocks.

The logic comes fom identifying some key moves, but in practice you tend to randomly shuffle a few things around until it clicks exactly what you have to achieve.

Personally, I only think pushmo is 'good'. Maybe great, but that's it.

Games like this live and die by the puzzle design - fortunately it's good. I have really finished, but the game didn't get actually compelling until about half way.

I still don't understand why the "megathreads" were locked.

It seemed perfect for anyone who had a general 3DS question. Why would it be better for someone to make a whole seperate topic with a question rather than post it in that thread?

Coldsnap

Yea, this thread stinks compared to the megathread. Megathread was a great thing, I've played my 3DS less since it was deleted.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Err... I guess this is the place for this question...

I just got a 3DS XL and I'm in the mood for a rock-solid handheld JRPG.

I picked up Bowser's Inside Story but I'm wondering, are there any truly must-play DS / 3DS JRPGs? I was really dissatisfied with Golden Sun DS, so I'm hesitant to jump on Radiant Historia because it seems pretty rough / generic.

Pikma

Banned

I picked up Bowser's Inside Story but I'm wondering, are there any truly must-play DS / 3DS JRPGs? I was really dissatisfied with Golden Sun DS, so I'm hesitant to jump on Radiant Historia because it seems pretty rough / generic.

We really should go together to Square Enix HQ and ask for that pending Bravely Default localization.

Marz

Radiant Historia is really good. Go ahead and pick that up.

Kazerei

Banned
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (+)

Another solid entry in the Layton series. If you're unfamiliar with Layton, it's a point-and-click adventure with brain teaser type puzzles. If you're already familiar with Layton, you'll be happy to know there are some notable improvements in this new entry.

The biggest change is how you interact with the environment. You tap a magnifying glass icon, drag the cursor around the touch screen, and it lights up when hovering over something of interest. This makes finding trigger areas much smoother and easier.

The graphics got a noticeable upgrade too. Miracle Mask uses cel-shaded 3D models, which animate fluidly and really suit the art style. There's also plenty of voice acting and anime cutscenes.

In an effort to provide greater gameplay variety, there's a horse racing mini-game, a pet training mini-game, and best of all, an entire chapter that plays sort of like a 2D Zelda, with just puzzles.

Miracle Mask's story is my favorite thus far. It's straightforward, well-paced, doesn't contain much fluff, and I like how it alternates between past and present. The twist is super obvious, but at least the story isn't a completely ridiculous jumble.

I have to say though, the puzzle quality was just okay. Maybe it's because I've played the other four Layton games, but the puzzles here felt more routine than inspired. Thankfully, Nintendo has promised to deliver 365 free DLC puzzles, so there should be some real good ones.

Ultimately, if you're in the mood for a puzzle adventure, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask delivers.

Amalthea

Banned
This is not a full re- or decommendation but a kind of a warning:

The 3DS version of RH:Firefighter just came out in parts of Europe. The game is fun but the framerate can get horrible. Really horrible. When nothing happens it runs very smooth but when you're in a big fire, debris falls down, people are running around, it becomes a slideshow. A real shame.

vareon

Radiant Historia's strongest is the story IMO. The battle system is good but not great and keeps you thinking. It was also neatly structured so that there is nothing missable in this game. The exploration's a bit limited, though. I don't know what you mean by rough/generic, but the game is pretty polished and the story is far from generic.

Tales of The Abyss is a must if you have a 3DS and haven't played it yet.

Borman

Hey guys, testing out a new 3ds capture template that I made with some LEGO LotR footage. Mind checking it out?

http://ptoponline.com/?p=773

The only thing I really dislike is the wasted space, and needing 1080p to do what I wanted to do. That said, at 1080p, the 3ds screens are native resolution. I could have made the left, big screen even larger, but it is currently at 2x resolution, 3x resolution looked bad and I really didn't want to do anything inbetween.

This is not a full re- or decommendation but a kind of a warning:

The 3DS version of RH:Firefighter just came out in parts of Europe. The game is fun but the framerate can get horrible. Really horrible. When nothing happens it runs very smooth but when you're in a big fire, debris falls down, people are running around, it becomes a slideshow. A real shame.

Really should have been an shop release. Even though graphically those game are atrocious, people actual seem to enjoy them and they look pretty fun. At $7 or less on the eshop it would have been a buy.

No idea where to ask with the general 3DS thread closed, but where can I find impressions or even gameplay material from Crimson Shroud?

Hale-XF11

Skylanders Giants

+ 3D platforming is back once again.
+ It's a fairly pretty looking game for the most part.
+ Draw distance is very impressive.
+ Level designs are fairly varied and a tad more open than in the first game.

- Game is way too easy overall.
- Leveled up a Level 1 character to Level 15 only 1/4 of the way through the main story.
- The main story along with at least 3/4 of the stars you collect can be completed in under 7 hours easily.
- Time challenges are fun, but way too easy. A difficulty setting and online leaderboards are very sorely missing here. It's kids stuff and it doesn't have to be, but it is.
- There's no difficulty selection
- Framerate is horrible. 30 FPS at best, 20 FPS most of the time and down to 15 FPS during cut scenes.
- Certain characters are hardly noticeable. Their interaction with you is mostly non-existent or non-essential, relegated to a couple of one-liners at most.
- Feels like less of a game than the first one. Feels somewhat rushed and less ambitious overall.
- I really wish it had more levels. Feels like the game ends too quickly.
- No way to reset your Skylanders.
- Expansion levels are the exact same levels from the first game.
- Game is expensive and doesn't seem to really match up with the amount of content that comes with it.

Keikaku

I'm making the jump and getting a 3DS with the following games:
  • Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
  • Super Mario Land 3D
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Kid Icarus Uprising

Once I finish those, I'm thinking of adding on Steel Diver and Ace Combat. This thread has been super useful. Thanks guys!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm making the jump and getting a 3DS with the following games:
  • Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
  • Super Mario Land 3D
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Kid Icarus Uprising

Once I finish those, I'm thinking of adding on Steel Diver and Ace Combat. This thread has been super useful. Thanks guys!

Fixed, and you are good to go.

BriBri

Forgive the shortness to these but I've invested 10+ hours into all the games below...

Kid Icarus: Uprising (+)

The first time I played it I HATED the controls. With backlogs and essays I left it for a few weeks, went back to it and again HATED the controls. Persevered and it's my game of the year. It's what happened in-between that's the fun part.

Mario Kart 7 (+)

The old cliche "if it's not broken then don't fix it" is not entirely accurate. It's too easy and too safe. The idea is to tweak the formula (here with underwater and gliding) but not to lose sight of what made the original so great. A simplified review is 'fun as fuck'. My only criticism is the typical blue shell one.

Super Mario 3D Land (+)

Just so fun on so many levels. It's the reason I got into videogames was to have fun. Super Mario 3D Land is exactly that. As polished as all my favourite Miyamoto entries into the series.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (+-)

It's not (just) that it doesn't add anything new, it just isn't a joy to play. I downloaded the Japanese version day one and still haven't completed it: not because it's particularly difficult, I'm just not enjoying my time with it. This shouldn't be construed as me calling it a bad game. Just an average one. Painfully average.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (+)

One of my top five games ever and it's still awesome. I almost wish I could go back to the joy of that first play again although it just is perfectly suited for the 3DS portable screen. Exemplary.

Professor Layton: Miracle Mask (+)

My first Layton game and whilst several issues with the mechanics (some of the puzzles, logic holes in the story) it is overall a great experience. And my personal favourite use of 3D to date.

Star Fox 64 3D (+)

Just like Ocarina, Star Fox is made for the portable screen. So fun to play although a disclaimer: it is rather short so the user who gave prices s/he'd pay earlier in the thread; I;d give this a + only if £25/$35 was paid.

Tales of the Abyss (+)

It took 70 hours of my life, some annoying characters, not the greatest use of 3D and I never want to play it again but an absolute +. The best game of it's type for UK players until Oveclocked is released.

Kokuga (+-)

I really want to enjoy this game. It's not that it's bad (far from it) but it just doesn't seem to click with me. It doesn't help that I got DoDonPachi on my iPad in the same month and the latter is so much better. I enjoy the card gimmick and the stealth aspect but it just doesn't really do it for me.

Senran Kagura Burst (+-)

Hilarious videos of breasts popping and a fun game to boot but just not in the same league as Street Fighter IV 3D or from what I played of the Dead Or Alive demo.

I'll add to these shortly...

BriBri

Some eShop games:-

Super Mario Land (+)

Okay, it's super easy, rather short but it absolutely fucking rules the world! Amazing soundtrack (like astoundingly good), cute well defined graphics and fun gameplay (the two shmup levels are equally great). One of my favourite eShop games.

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (+)

Unbelievable graphics for a Game Boy game. Much longer than the original and far more varied to warrant purchasing both. Two of my favourite eShop titles.

Balloon Kid (+)

I have a weird love for this game. Infinitely better (IMO) than Balloon Fight. Easy-ish but still several hours of challenge. Fun little story. Great level design and awesome bosses.

Balloon Fight GB (+)

The Japanese coloured version of the above. If you have a Japanese 3DS then you could do a lot worse than download this.

The Castlevania Adventure (-)

Slow. And. Shit. Nuff said.

Dr. Mario (+)

It's not for everybody but I've put 20 hours into this. Great music too (I guess the consensus is that the DSiWare version is better than the Game Boy version).

Escape Zombie City (+)

Japanese eShop release. No 3D, not much variety and some impossible bosses without continues (well, the last boss) but just great pick up and play dual screen cute zombie shooting action. Amazing zombie sound effects too. Worth the 4 or 500 yen it's onsale for.

Legend of Zelda (+)

Half way through and I deleted my save state. Aaarrrggghhh!!! Awesome music, clear graphics, great design, so much fun to play. Obviously incomparable with the SNES game but irrespective it's worth playing.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (+)

Really stood the test of time. One of the greatest Game Boy/Color games and an essential purchase.

Akumajou Dracula (+)

The Famicom version. Must buy. Infinitely better than the Game Boy game it's scary. Some of the best music on the 3DS!

Tennis (-)

Didn't really stand the test of time. Doesn't feel as fun as it did twenty years ago. Maybe I compare every tennis game to Virtual Boy Mario's Tennis (godly!).

Zen Pinball 3D (-)

A lot of love around here but I just don't enjoy it. I struggle to see the ball beneath the graphics and realisation is hitting that I may never see Gator Pinball:(

Mighty Switch Force! (+)

Great use of 3D. Great little game. Worth buying above all but a handful on the eShop.

Pushmo/Pullblox (+)

I probably can't add much to the many reviews earlier in this thread. Just buy.

Rhythm Hunter: Harmo Knight (+)

Just fucking great. Better than Pushmo great.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) (+)

Laughably hard. Using my Virtual Console save states after every screen but still more of a joy to play than NSMB2.

Rockman series (+)

Japan are up to four now. Great graphics and design but hard as fuck. Again helped by the save states.

I'll add more when time permits...

Yes Boss!

NightSky (+)

It is a very, very nice little platformer with great physics. Can be challenging and the atmosphere is really relaxed. Art design is excellent. Two modes, Normal and Alternate. I'm about half-way done with Normal and at three hours. With the two modes and secret stars to discover there is a solid 10+ hour game here. Not the same, but if you dug Soul Bubbles, you will probably like this. Recommended. I think it was $10.

Keikaku

why are you so against RE:R mate? Why?
I don't really have a problem with it, it's more that I'm pretty much done with RE for now. I played every one up until 5 (yes, including the atrocious light gun game) and, apart from 1, 2, Code Veronica and 4, the series has really worn me out. 5 was atrocious and I didn't even bother with 6.

Maybe later?

Right now I'm debating whether buying Sticker Star next week or waiting for Adventure Time to come out. I know SS will probably be the better game overall, but I'm much more interested in a Adventure Time setting than a Paper Mario setting right now.

Kazerei

Banned
Hey guys, testing out a new 3ds capture template that I made with some LEGO LotR footage. Mind checking it out?

http://ptoponline.com/?p=773

The only thing I really dislike is the wasted space, and needing 1080p to do what I wanted to do. That said, at 1080p, the 3ds screens are native resolution. I could have made the left, big screen even larger, but it is currently at 2x resolution, 3x resolution looked bad and I really didn't want to do anything inbetween.

Neat. I think I would prefer if it was just left side: top screen at 2x resolution, and right side: bottom screen at 2x resolution. Is that possible?

Also, maybe you should make a new thread for your direct feed screenshots and videos. I think it's pretty interesting stuff.

kitzkozan

Radiant Historia is still a solid prospect and it seems top be the better game between it and Golden Sun. There's also the dragon Quest remakes (IV to VI) and IX and remakes of FF III and IV. Don't forget The World end with you which is possibly the best DS jrpg.

There's also stuff like Shin Megami Tensei, Infinite space, M&L: partner in time, Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden Tierkreis, Lunar knights, Kingdom heart 358/2 days, Etrian Odyssey, etc. :p

bangai-o

Banned
i purchased a 16gig memory, seems like more than enough. I dont think Ill go to crazy with purchases like xbla. When I start purchasing digital content, is it easy to re-download when/if I ever replace the 3ds? Is this is good thread for these questions? I also am wondering if I need to put a cloth between the clam when shut. I seen some pics of that in the other thread.

I'm about three hours into the newest Professor Layton game. As a huge fan of the series, I have been looking forward to this game for a while.

So far the puzzles are really good and I like that we are learning more about Layton's past as a teen, pre Claire and his wonderful hat.

The story isn't quite as good as Unwound Future and Diabolical Box were. But it seems to be on par with Last Spectre. I think I have the big reveal guessed already...but we'll see.

So far though it is another fantastic entry in the series.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't really have a problem with it, it's more that I'm pretty much done with RE for now. I played every one up until 5 (yes, including the atrocious light gun game) and, apart from 1, 2, Code Veronica and 4, the series has really worn me out. 5 was atrocious and I didn't even bother with 6.

Maybe later?

thanks for the clarification and yep, keep the game on your to play list. It's got that old RE flavour

Koroviev

i purchased a 16gig memory, seems like more than enough. I dont think Ill go to crazy with purchases like xbla. When I start purchasing digital content, is it easy to re-download when/if I ever replace the 3ds? Is this is good thread for these questions? I also am wondering if I need to put a cloth between the clam when shut. I seen some pics of that in the other thread.

You should definitely insert a single-layer microfiber cloth in between the top and bottom screens if you're not using a screen protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom