• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Reviews/Recommendations/Condemnations Thread | We've been separated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikma

Banned
Hey guys, sorry if I haven't updated the OP in a while, I'm outside the country right now and my laptop decided to die on me, permanently, all I have right now is my android and both of my 3DS's. I'll update it once I get back later this week, promise.

Also, been playing a lot of Code of Princess, loving it so far, I'll probably write a review of it. :)

Hello all!

No console OTs any more yadda yadda yadda - this seemed to most relevent / active / recent 3DS post to ask this in. Hoping someone here can help.

I'm selling my 3DS and games etc as I want the money for Christmas / Wii U launch. I haven't played my 3DS since April, and that was only 5 minutes of Mario Tennis on a plane and some 3D photographs whilst I was on holiday.

It's an ambassador model, and whilst I'm sad to be selling my collection, I think it's at the peak of it's worth right now. The intention is to sell it now, and maybe re-buy 1 -2 years down the line if I feel the need.

With that in mind, is there any way I can perform a backup of the 3DS so I can have all my stuff if/when I purchase a new one? Iirc, all my saved games etc are already on the SD card so I'm hoping I can just take it out and pop it in a new 3DS but what about all the other settings I have, like the 20 ambassador program games? Do I just lose them?

If anyone can offer any advice on this, it would be super appreciated :)

Hello all!

No console OTs any more yadda yadda yadda - this seemed to most relevent / active / recent 3DS post to ask this in. Hoping someone here can help.

I'm selling my 3DS and games etc as I want the money for Christmas / Wii U launch. I haven't played my 3DS since April, and that was only 5 minutes of Mario Tennis on a plane and some 3D photographs whilst I was on holiday.

It's an ambassador model, and whilst I'm sad to be selling my collection, I think it's at the peak of it's worth right now. The intention is to sell it now, and maybe re-buy 1 -2 years down the line if I feel the need.

With that in mind, is there any way I can perform a backup of the 3DS so I can have all my stuff if/when I purchase a new one? Iirc, all my saved games etc are already on the SD card so I'm hoping I can just take it out and pop it in a new 3DS but what about all the other settings I have, like the 20 ambassador program games? Do I just lose them?

If anyone can offer any advice on this, it would be super appreciated :)

My advice would be to hold your horses until the next Nintendo Direct - just in case they announce the Account system for Wii U is coming to 3DS. If it does, its likely you'd finally be able to tie your purchases to an account and have those games redownloadable on your future HW purchases later on -- but don't hold your breath. 3DS might get left behind in this regard and not get the NID accounts. I am hoping they make it work, personally.

If you want the ambassador games to be a selling point for your buyer, do NOT format/wipe the device before selling it. You need to keep your account active, but delete your credit card details, and unlink your Club Nintendo account in the eShop (both of these things are easy). As you can't delete your last Mii - you'll have to tell whoever inherits it to just change it in the Mii Editor. If you format it, they lose your ambassador games and all of your other purchases, and the friendcode changes.

As I say, I'd wait for the next ND. If there's no nice news for 3DS with regard to Nintendo IDs, you're going to lose your purchases I'm afraid... so make sure you do as I suggested and make those purchases part of the second-hand sale, mention them in your ebay auction or whatever and don't wipe them off.

As I say, I'd wait for the next ND. If there's no nice news for 3DS with regard to Nintendo IDs, you're going to lose your purchases I'm afraid... so make sure you do as I suggested and make those purchases part of the second-hand sale, mention them in your ebay auction or whatever and don't wipe them off.

Thanks for the info. Assuming I do lose the purchases, ambassador titles etc *sob*, everything else would be safe on the SD card wouldn't it? I mean save game progress, my mii etc etc

also

Banned
Thanks for the info. Assuming I do lose the purchases, ambassador titles etc *sob*, everything else would be safe on the SD card wouldn't it? I mean save game progress, my mii etc etc

I think all retail games save on the cards themselves and they use SD cards for Street Pass stuff only. I also think the Mii plaza stuff is tied to your console so you will lose it if you sell your old 3DS before performing a system transfer. I'm not 100% sure though.
For eShop games, it seems save files aren't tied to the console, at least eShop Cave Story is that way.

I find it surprising that there was no impressions of Mario Tennis Open. Anybody played the game?

Well I was one of the people that have bought the game, for curiousity's sake, and I initially thought the game would be pretty lazy for all things considered.

And I wasn't wrong on that.

Mario Tennis Open features Online multiplayer for the first time in Mario Tennis History, the ability to customize your Mii, and QR scanning for hidden characters. It also adds Chance Shots, where you stand in a circle, and based on the color of the circle, if you use the right way to hit the ball, it'll power up. Now looking at previous games, it's much harder to actually get a fault, net, or an out. You have to try to be able to do that.

The Core game is what you expect, but the problem with Mario Tennis Open is that it was a game that didn't get enough time in the oven, and was taken out immediately in order to yell "We have a new game".

Online is laughibly restricted, as Doubles Matches are limited to only Friends, and you don't have the choice of picking who you want on your team. On randoms, there's Quick Play (first to seven wins) as well as 1 set 2 Game rules. You can't change it at all, and you can't pick a course. Unlockable Tennis Courts (the Galaxy based ones) are the only ones with a specific gimmick, and are not selectable for Online play at all. Online Play itself is also laggy, very laggy. One of the biggest kick in the pants is that Online Play is restricted by reason, and with the little amount of people that actually bought MT:O, you will probably run into the same person you played against almost immediately. I should know, It happened several times.... and this was at launch.

Speaking of multiplayer, for Offline, the Host player must have every character unlockable. If he/she doesn't, then you can't use characters you've unlocked. I don't know why.

Mii Customization requires you to earn coins in order to buy new equipment for your Mii, and it is done in the most asinine way possible. Special gGames, a staple in the series, must be played to both unlock characters and gain coins. And thats it. Online Play does not generate coins, offline play does not generate coins, winning matches/tournaments does not gain coins, just Special games. And it is an absolute grind in something that doesn't have lastability.

The worst part about it is that some of the equipment is restricted to Multiplayer, and Street Passing, the latter I have yet to encounter either while I was in Alaska or while I was in Maryland for vacation. And Mii Equipment is too vague on what it does, the charts are confusing as to what it enhances/decreases.

There's way too little content, and it's not up to standards with even Mario Tennis GBC or other Tennis games with a good Singleplayer Mode, which would've salvaged this title enough for it to be worth buying. Not every character available throughout Mario Tennis, but we sure did get Baby/Dry versions of certain characters, and recolored Yoshis for unlockables (and the yoshis play differently too). It is both extremely disappointing and lazy, and I can't really recommend buying this game. The core game and the lack of stage variety keeps it from having any longevity.

(-)

RM8

I'll still buy it at some point because I have loved every Mario Tennis (64 being my favorite). Plus the music sounds amazing, Peach's theme is incredible. My main complain is the roster... no Toad, but baby characters and tons of Yoshi? Eh...

Pz2jX.png

Toad hasn't been playable since Mario Tennis 64 :/

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I played the Epic Mickey demo just now. The intro is pretty long and you can't skip it. However most of the game part is great, the 3D effect is pretty good for the most part (lots of layering) and the drawing objects system is pretty cool. The game looks gorgeous and it's pretty fun to play, despite the overall quests seeming like they'd be pretty boring.

The demo ends off in the worst way though.
You get to the Captain Hook boss battle but then it's all like "THANKS FOR PLAYING BRO". WTF?

Koroviev

I think this is sufficiently game-related:

If I pick up Paper Mario: SS from the eShop, will the basic 2GB memory card be sufficient? I have enough blocks, just not sure if there's some potential technical issue that I'm overlooking.

also

Banned
I think this is sufficiently game-related:

If I pick up Paper Mario: SS from the eShop, will the basic 2GB memory card be sufficient? I have enough blocks, just not sure if there's some potential technical issue that I'm overlooking.
There won't be any issues if you have enough space.

I can advise you to avoid Liberation Maiden, the other two I haven't played.

Actually looks great, love shmups and Suda 51 and the general presentation and style of the game. Will definitly be getting it when I get a 3DS again soon.

Have played Sakura Samurai and definitly a game to get! Its very well crafted and has very engaging mechanics and feel to its battles, very old-school game style that I love about Nintendo.

tkscz

I don't really have a problem with it, it's more that I'm pretty much done with RE for now. I played every one up until 5 (yes, including the atrocious light gun game) and, apart from 1, 2, Code Veronica and 4, the series has really worn me out. 5 was atrocious and I didn't even bother with 6.

Maybe later?

Then download the demo and give it a go. The only things you might not like are the action parts, which play a bit like Resident Evil 4 and that the "classic" parts aren't as adventurous as the original RE games.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Making his first foray onto the 3DS yet also his fifth game in a series that's actually relatively recent it would be easy to dismiss Miracle Mask as more of the same and in all honesty for the most part it's just that, Layton investigates a mystery with plain bizarre plot twists and encounters many things that remind him of a simply smashing puzzle, blocks will be shifted, liars will be outed and you better believe various shapes are going to get the hell rotated out of them.

But Layton has a trick up his sleeve and it is in fact the presentation, now Layton has made the jump into 3D, an act that caused a fair few folk to cry foul in fear of losing the series charm, fortunately Layton and co make the graphical transition quite well, characters are more animated and lively, backgrounds feel dense and seem to employ a mix of 3D work and 2D art.
As for the other form of 3D that 3DS is known for, it's pretty damn nice. Fingers will be flung dramatically out of the screen with your success, the world itself opts for the window like effect for added depth and on top of that various bits of scenery just pop that bit more, ghosting is an issue every now and then but honestly that's not something that's ever bothered me much. It's actually funny that this game was a launch title in Japan because the 3D effects shame a lot of recent games, the animated cutscenes also get some layered 3D treatment much like the rather Layton inspired rhythm thief.

The adventure gameplay is still the usual roaming around, chatting to people, finding puzzles and compulsively hunting down hint coins but even this process has taken a slight change. Now in order to investigate the environment you must first enter the investigation mode, now aided by magnifying glass that highlights interactive areas the hunt for hint coins is less of the tap fest it used to be. A map now sits on the bottom screen complete with a guiding path to point you in the right direction.
Puzzles are mostly the standard fare any Layton fan will be used to, the 3D models add some nice extra visuals to a few puzzles that make them seem a bit more lively, gyro control appears for 2 puzzles at least but that aside there's not much else new here, puzzle difficulty is in line with most of the series (Pandora's Box being the exception) as well.

Mild gameplay spoiler:
there is a slight genre switch at one point later in the game (still puzzles of course), it's interesting at first but overstays its welcome, I dare say no more about that though.

The plot is centred around the arrival of an individual known as the Masked Gentlemen in the city of Monte d'Or, he has a flair for the dangerously dramatic performing his miracles that threaten the citizens but there's more this masked madman than his grand acts, Layton is called in to help by an old friend to help solve the mystery as he often is. We also delve further back into Layton's past and meet some of his old friends as well as seeing where his archaeology background stems from. I'll say no more about that, I will say that I enjoyed the plot a lot more than the last game.
Monte d'Or itself makes for a nice location, it's another city area but this time with a glitzy carnival look which is a nice change of pace.

The sub games return, a toy robot, a pet rabbit and shop shelf management are the new trio, the robot and shop games are pretty enjoyable but the rabbit while initially starting off interesting as a merger of Nintendogs and puzzle solving quickly becomes a pretty boring task. Post game content are the usual extra puzzles of high difficulty with picarats used to unlock content like the sound test, profile and cutscene viewers.
The game also touts a new downloadable puzzle every day for a year, wow that's even more than the main game! of course these puzzles are a lot smaller in scale, coming in sets of repeated styles so to speak that will each end up with many entries that scale upwards in difficulty over time, solving these allows you to earn furniture for a room as an extra incentive, it's a nice gesture but don't expect full blown puzzles for the rest of the year.

Music is standard Layton fare, the main theme doesn't feel as strong to me right now as the rest but i'll have to give it time as only this month did I truly grasp how lovely the Spectre's call theme was from the previous entry. The other themes follow the Layton tropes, the rather subdued puzzle theme and the accordion filled everything else. It's solid if not spectacular but then again that's what I said about the last game and i'm only just coming around to it, I do really enjoy the night time Monte d'Or theme though. Lost Future is still the soundtrack to beat, I can't get enough of that London 3/remapped theme.

Now if you've never played a Layton game before you can still happily jump in with this entry, though it's nice to have played Spectre's Call/Last Spectre first and even perhaps have watched the movie Eternal Diva since it follows Spectre's Call and is actually canon to the game series but it's not particularly required. The first three Layton games chronologically take place after Last Spectre, Miracle Mask and the upcoming next entry to help give you an idea of how to tackle things if you're new to the series and are feeling a bit perplexed by how the plots all add up.

So to wrap things up once again another year and another solid Layton game, i'd say Miracle Mask is one of the better ones, it's also the longest for that matter. Though I felt the formula was a bit tired after the fourth game the small changes here and the more interesting plot managed to keep me hooked throughout making it one of my preferred entries into the series, so consider this Recommended (+)

Hana Samurai: Art of the Sword

Price: £6.20

- Game's graphical style, whilst simplistic (certainly not Edge's silly comparison to N64 models), is very colorful and suits its purpose. The 3D is also nice, with things popping out the screen at you.
- The game's easy to play, difficult to master. It's all about precision and timing, and it's very satisfying once you get the hang of it. It follows a "dodge attack/attack" format, much like Nintendo's Punchout. As you progress through the game's almost random battle format, split up by minigames, towns where you can buy new items/save, and difficult boss battles, the enemies progressively get stronger and quicker. The game isn't kind with its difficulty level; those boss gauntlets can be long, and if you lose, you're knocked right back to the beginning.
- I've heard from other's the game is pretty short. I've played for about 6 and a half hours now, and I'd say I'm about halfway through. That might be because I'm crap, and it also helps if you "grind" for coins to buy way more items. There's unlockable gauntlet challenges where you beat your time/enemies killed.
- It seems like the game would benefit from more variation, length, and maybe a more concrete story. The main character (Sakura?) has a lot of spark, and he'd certainly be at home in a Smash Bros. game.

Is it worth £6? Yeah, I'd say so. It's certainly not got as much content as Pushmo, another eShop favourite, but few games do. Also, the 3DS retail scene isn't the most full featured at the moment, so it's a good little time waster. I'd give it a recommend, and if we're doing arbitrary number scores, then I'd give it an 8/10. Better than Dillon, not as good as Pushmo.

I'll be reviewing Crashmo (Fallblox) tomorrow if I get the time, a game I'm incredibly excited for!

sajj316

Hey guys .. not sure if this is the place to post but itching to get a Mario DS game on the 3DS XL. I have Mario 64 DS ready to buy. Wondering if the game controls better with 3DS XL. Should I proceed with the buy or something else?

Hey guys .. not sure if this is the place to post but itching to get a Mario DS game on the 3DS XL. I have Mario 64 DS ready to buy. Wondering if the game controls better with 3DS XL. Should I proceed with the buy or something else?

It controls better, but obviously since it still reads the Circle Pad as a D-Pad it won't be completely precise. Still a lot better than the D-Pad though.

sajj316

It controls better, but obviously since it still reads the Circle Pad as a D-Pad it won't be completely precise. Still a lot better than the D-Pad though.

Thanks. The D-pad is better on the XL so just using that might be sufficient if the circle pad is too inaccurate for my tastes

Paper Mario: Sticker Star Review
---

So we know the deal, Paper Mario is announced, people got hopeful, hopes were dash because it's not TTYD2, blah blah blah. Disappointments and everything happened, it's too late to be disappointed because you won't be decieved at what the game isn't basically.

Getting that out of the way, Sticker Star had some wavering hopes and doubts from me before the launch, but I decided to stick with my gut on this, and it has really paid off.

Lets get this out of the way as well, do not go in expecting something like 64 or TTYD. The game focuses more on Adventure than being an RPG, and it really shows. No longer, are you completely guided by the level structure or dictated where to go, you're a free man to do whatever you please, granted that's not recommended on your first playthrough. Sticker Star is a game that is not to be rushed, but to be thoroughly explored in every nook and cranny, because there's something there for you to find, be it Things, HP ups, or even stickers. There are hints in terms of what you need to do, be it via the L button, the Stage name, etc. The game offers loads of hints without beating you over the head with them, and you cannot relax your mind if you plan on doing a level.

The Map system is closer to SMRPG/SMW than it was in older titles, which reduces the amount of time spent backtracking, which wouldn't of been possible on older titles. Again, because of the way the world is design, you can do things out of order if you please, and I consider this to be one of the game's biggest strength, as it allows you to have control over your adventure. However, breaking sequences usually requires knowledge of the game in order to do this, which requires you to know about what Things to use in order to progress.

Speaking of Things, they're items that you find around the world in order to progress on in a level, and without it, you need to restickify it in order to use this. In a way, there should've been a way to be able to use things without needing them to be stickers when it comes to puzzle solving, without hurting the balance of the system.

Now then, Stickers, the other main draw of the game, are one time use only items in your inventory, which are used both in battles and for solving puzzles. It's not just restricted to having Things in your sticker album, and requires you to play smart. In battles, EXP is not gained, and only coins are earned. Now this appears to show that there's no progress in your character. That's wrong, because there's more ways to becoming stronger without numbers. In the case for Sticker Star, HP Upgrades are a reward for helping people, or even just finding them in the wild. For FP/BP, gaining new pages in your sticker Album serves as both functions, with BP representing holding more stickers, with FP representing more stickers for your disposal.

Along with this, defeating enemies also increases the amount of coins you earn after finishing the stage. These coins are then used to buy even more stickers, or use a Battle Wheel, which you spin in order to use more stickers in a turn, which is necessary for Boss Battles. You can spend money to influence the Spinner, but it'll cost more money every time you use it during that battle. But that's the running joke of Sticker Star, Expend Expend Expend. Be smart with what you're expending, but don't feel like you need to hold things back, as stickers are everywhere. I will add that you can't choose who exactly you want to attack, and using the battle spinner changes the target if you have 2-3 sticker uses.

Thing Stickers are also One Time Use, but you can refind the Thing either in the level it originated from, or in the secret shop of Decalburg. These things are used in order to bring down bosses much faster or else you run out of stickers, and for about... maybe 2 bosses, I think it's a bit unfair since you practically need the Thing in order to stand a chance, but you're capable of running.

The Music in the Game is pretty phenomenal, which helps since I like Jazz. The Dialogue and Humor is up to standards with the series, however, unlike older Paper Mario games, there's little of an overarching story. It's pretty straight forward with what you have to do, and then you go do that. In a way, I give it praise for not being a very long winded intro, doing everything in a pantomime fashion, makes me remember of when games use to do pantomimes. This might not be to everyones taste, but it's pretty good.

A bit abrupt, but to put, I like this game. I like it a lot, and I think I might like this more and more as I replay this game, because it has a lot of potential. The lack of handholding as well the world structure is something I want to see in future games (not just PM), as this game makes you constantly think. The battle systems pretty good, and I would like to see it get expanded upon. The overall concept and design of the game shouldn't be thrown out just yet, because there's room for improvement. Again, I will stress this, you must pay attention to everything in this game, explore as you may but don't rush, and inside you'll find a game filled with brilliance.

(+)

Epic Mickey demo: What the hell were they thinking? One of the best looking, most charming 2D games I've ever seen, completely ruined by constant interruptions where you are required to draw over lines with the stylus. And I mean CONSTANT. It's a mind-numbingly boring task and it destroys the flow of the gameplay. What is this, 2004?

Wow. I feel bad for the talented artists who worked on the game, what a waste.

Epic Mickey demo: What the hell were they thinking? One of the best looking, most charming 2D games I've ever seen, completely ruined by constant interruptions to draw over lines with the stylus. And I mean CONSTANT. It's a mind-dumbingly boring task and it destroys the flow of the gameplay. What is this, 2004?

Wow. I feel bad for the talented artists who worked on the game, what a waste.

Yup, exactly, I was playing going WTF?! I really wanted to check that out but after the demo, NO THANK YOU!

Boney

Banned
Anyone know of any deals for 3DS games online?

I know almost everything happened last week but I was super super busy.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm assuming that this is the proper place to ask this:

I plan on buying a 3DS XL (preferably red) within the next few weeks, and I was wondering what would be your guys recommendations for any 3 games on the system at the same time I pick up my 3DS XL.

I'm leaning towards definitely getting Super Mario 3D Land, and possibly Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising. However, I'm still mostly undecided and would be open to any other possible recommendations.

nikatapi

I'm assuming that this is the proper place to ask this:

I plan on buying a 3DS XL (preferably red) within the next few weeks, and I was wondering what would be your guys recommendations for any 3 games on the system at the same time I pick up my 3DS XL.

I'm leaning towards definitely getting Super Mario 3D Land, and possibly Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising. However, I'm still mostly undecided and would be open to any other possible recommendations.

Τhose are definitely must haves. I would recommend Resident Evil Revelations, Dead Or Alive Dimensions, Ace Combat as well, i think you can find them pretty cheap and they're all great games.

Yawnier

Banned
Τhose are definitely must haves. I would recommend Resident Evil Revelations, Dead Or Alive Dimensions, Ace Combat as well, i think you can find them pretty cheap and they're all great games.

I was actually considering and looking into Resident Evil: Revelations as well, because it is a bit cheaper than the average $40 first party Nintendo 3DS game and the fact that I heard quite of lot of positive things about it.

I've never owned a Dead or Alive or Ace Combat game before, but I am going to look into those as well.

Thanks!

nikatapi

I was actually considering and looking into Resident Evil: Revelations as well, because it is a bit cheaper than the average $40 first party Nintendo 3DS game and the fact that I heard quite of lot of positive things about it.

I've never owned a Dead or Alive or Ace Combat game before, but I am going to look into those as well.

Thanks!

Yeah i mentioned DoA and AC just because they are really great games and you can get them really cheap (10-15 dollars each) and they are more than worth this price.

Resident Evil is one of the best 3DS games imo and given the replay value given by the Raid mode you should definitely have it on top of your list. I hope you enjoy your 3DS, and post your impressions, cheers!

Shoogoo

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
This game can be divided in two: The main campaign that is similar to Fire Emblem, because characters level up and get stronger, and the combat is very similar. This part of the game is fun in the sense that there is character development and characters do very different tasks in the same mission. Very fun. The story is absolute crap, but who cares. The campaign is not very balanced, because at the end you will be overpowered, and the AI sucks. The conditions are not favorable to you, if you get one soldier killed, it's game over, thankfully the AI does not try to take this advantage, so it's not unfair in that sense.

The other part is like Advance Wars, were you do task, like surviving a certain number of turns, using snipers to kill gunners, defend a city from zombies, etc; in this mode you are given challenges. To unlock stages on this mode, you must play the campaign though.

The game is not difficult, I finished the main campaign in Elite mode, almost always on first try; the game doesn't punish you if you wait a few turns to recover, except in very few parts; and most important, it's very fun to play.

If you are waiting for FE or AW, this is the game that can help with the wait. It's very good, has a good presentation (although there more loading than I'd like on a handheld game); the graphics are ripped straight form a DS game, and the framerate suffers noticeable in some parts, also when the AI has to move a lot of characters, the game is slow, but it is not a game killer.

You should save often, because there are some bugs in the game (I encountered one that resetted the 3DS on one of the first stages of the campaign; if I did a certain set of moves, the system would reset), but it is definitely recommended.

Music was generic, but I can't really speak a lot for it, as I played this game mostly without sound.

Definitely a keeper, buy this game.

Bolded acronyms, what are they?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bolded acronyms, what are they?

Fire Emblems and Advance Wars, I presume.

The later has yet to be confirmed at all for 3DS while the first is a confirmed 2013 release.

Also, I haven't finished the game yet but I want to say this about Rhythm Thief: it has a lot more soul and character than Theaterhythm, and I find it a much superior product overall. Moon princess is such a beautiful track.

Jubern

I can get a Mario Kart 7 for 2000 yens, which would be considered a steal here in Japan. I'm not such a big fan of the franchise anymore though, and barely played the Wii one.
Does this version add something really interesting to the formula? How would you compare it to other installments?

I need to decide quickly as it will probably be sold before long, and I'm not really sure I need it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom