• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

rjc571

Banned
Wait, I'm lost. How does this exploit enable homebrew? What does the homebrew accomplish even. Someone please explain.

He will release a Cubic Ninja save file for download which causes a buffer overflow when loaded, allowing unsigned code to run.

Seventy70

Cubic Ninja is now selling more than Far Cry 4 Xbox One and LBP3 PS4.

I don't know if I should be laughing or worried.

image.php

Cubic Ninja: GOTY

wrowa

It'd be funny if Nintendo or Ubisoft releases a patch by November 22nd that fixes this.

Well, they can't force you to patch a game. Although they could couple it with a firmware update preventing you from going online with the 3DS again. But even then, I doubt they would be able to act that quickly. However, you can be certain that Cubic Ninja won't remain on the JP eShop for much longer.

Rich!

It'd be funny if Nintendo or Ubisoft releases a patch by November 22nd that fixes this.

they can't.

• It's an out of print title
  • Due to the way the 3DS OS works, it's unpatchable without users being able to simply delete the patch afterwards
  • The development team who made it went out of business in 2011 - who's going to develop a patch?
  • It's a physical cart and uses an exploit tied to a system unique for that game - not an exploit in the 3DS OS itself
  • It doesn't need to install anything to the 3DS OS at all. Even if Nintendo restricted stuff from being installed in the 3DS system menu itself, you would still be able to run homebrew and region free by booting up Cubic Ninja first - there's no preventing that

wrowa

they can't.

• The development team who made it went out of business in 2011 - who's going to develop a patch?

A contracted developer? Patching someone else's code isn't easy, but hardly impossible. If Nintendo wants to see the issue patched, then they're going to find a way to patch it. However, the rest of what you said still remains true: Whether or not such a patch would be an efficient way of fighting homebrew or just a waste of resources is another matter altogether.

Bought a copy for $41 off of amazon. If I was up last night I would have gotten on the train, but I figure that I get it now before it ends up being out of my reasonable price range. Gonna stop by the local gamestop after work too, then best buy to see if there are any copies on the shelf. Sucks gamestop doesn't work on work computers

drspeedy

At this point isn't it cheaper just to buy a used DS and a flashcart if you're THAT interested in emulation?

I get the honest desire for region free/localization hacks, but that seems to be a long term thing, certainly nothing we'll see this week.

Am I missing something?

vgamer1

At this point isn't it cheaper just to buy a used DS and a flashcart if you're THAT interested in emulation?

I get the honest desire for region free/localization hacks, but that seems to be a long term thing, certainly nothing we'll see this week.

Am I missing something?

DS emulation isn't really that great. Lots of things don't run well at all.

This is a 3DS level hack meaning homebrew can take advantage of the extra power of the 3DS.

Kouriozan

There won't be tons of homebrew for a while so some people will be bored and price will drop once again.
Personally I'm interested about what they'll achieve with N3DS.

Got my copy on hold at Gamestop for five bucks. Hopefully the employees don't get wise before I get off work and get down there.

Will check for another copy to see if I can't help one of you fellows out.

if you could sell one to me at a cheap price, I would certainly appreciate it since I wont be paying the $40 on amazon + shipping

Alright, you've got dibs if I can get another one.

L.O.R.D

part of me want to use the exploit on my main 3DS XL , just for the 300 coins app

i fear if Nintendo released an update , it will brick the console

wiibomb

Got my copy on hold at Gamestop for five bucks. Hopefully the employees don't get wise before I get off work and get down there.

Will check for another copy to see if I can't help one of you fellows out.

if you could sell one to me at a cheap price, I would certainly appreciate it since I wont be paying the $40 on amazon + shipping

drspeedy

DS emulation isn't really that great. Lots of things don't run well at all.

This is a 3DS level hack meaning homebrew can take advantage of the extra power of the 3DS.

Are there 3DS specific emulators? I'm not up to speed on the current homebrew/flashcart scene.

[edit] sorry, meant I'm NOT up to speed on flashcarts

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/534771433373585409 said:
sooo, i'd been warned about this but damn i did not expect the game's price to increase this fast. i thought it'd be weeks, not hours.
I guess it was a shock to him...

Nyoro SF

Just checked Amazon again because my curiosity can't contain itself and it's still sold out and 3rd party sellers are selling for 30$ + shipping.

When I bought it several months ago, it was around ~$6. Heh.

This is one heck of a game to do for homebrew. I can't imagine that that many copies were produced.

There is no way that there is this much interest on 3DS homebrew, I would bet my right arm that most people are buying Cubic Ninja thinking this enables piracy.

It will be a nasty surprised when they find out all they can do is try some experimental non finished games and emulators. I wonder how mature the emulators are right now.

Petrie

Banned
There is no way that there is this much interest on 3DS homebrew, I would bet my right arm that most people are buying Cubic Ninja thinking this enables piracy.

It will be a nasty surprised when they find out all they can do is try some experimental non finished games and emulators. I wonder how mature the emulators are right now.

Piracy will be coming.

You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

People want to be able to pirate and still keep their consoles on the latest firmwares. This is probably going to eventually do that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

And... people wouldn't update. So...?

I'm kinda disappointed there is no local copies and I have to travel five towns over (if that) to get a copy. It simply isn't worth it. Ugh. Why isn't it on Eshop!? At least then I'd update from 4.0 (which I need to do for Persona Q anyway) to buy this.

gngf123

For me, the mere potential of region free is enough.

Also, at the very least one of the emulators is fully functional according to another gaffer.

Mr. RPG

Am I missing something?

Removing region lock should be as simple as switching a variable from saying all Japanese region games are US region games.

I really doubt it is more complex than that.

flohen95

Yeah, I'm thinking that too.

The only thing I really care about is region unlocking, which isn't even implemented yet (and if I'm out of luck it won't be in the future), but I figured that I could spent up to 15 bucks (I did spend 8 in the end) for the opportunity. If I never get use out of it, I at least have one more 3DS game.

captainobvious.jpeg, but seriously, I think you maybe right, but not AS right as you think. There is already an exploit with Gateway. The problem is it only works up to a certain firmware. Now everyone can join in. And those who weren't concerned before probably updated their firmwares as they came out from nintendo so piracy wasn't a concern for them. But now they can participate as well

For me, the mere potential of region free is enough.

Also, at the very least one of the emulators is fully functional according to another gaffer.

What all people care more about than piracy. I would be more than willing to buy imports if I can play them on my 3ds(US). I wonder if Nintendo will make it region free should someone figure that out. Go the ol FF Type0 route and dick the translators

Piracy will be coming.

You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

People want to be able to pirate and still keep their consoles on the latest firmwares. This is probably going to eventually do that.
Even if it will be coming (which is actually quite possible, given smealum thinks the region lock can be defeated), it's not right there. I wouldn't be surprised, by the way, if this gets patched before the latest flashcard exploit.

Top Bottom