• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

What's the status of SNES emulation? Can it run games smoothly yet?
That would really be the only thing I am interested in when it comes to 3DS homebrew.

Piracy was being worked on the second they announced the 3DS. For everything on Earth that does something that costs money, someone was looking for a way to do it for free (or as close to free as reasonably possible). Whether it was modchips, CFW, softmods, multicarts, flashcarts and so on, there was always going to be people trying to play 3DS games for free.

This doesn't "enable" piracy or lead to it anymore than the first days some dudes in China or whatever were trying to reverse engineer the machine itself on release. People are going to try to use this to get to piracy more easily however, and I hope that doesn't happen. If/when it happens (like it has on pretty much every hardware/software platform ever), I hope it doesn't happen to any deleterious effect, either.

What I do hope happens is that handheld emulation on a device with standardized/built-in controls which are ideal for gaming (quality buttons, good layout, multiple controls) and won't require any additional purchases or tweaks will improve. The PSP was amazing, but development stopped there. Emulation on Android/iOS is very good, but there's no device with standardized quality controls, or you have to buy/use other controllers (which limits the convenience). They have those "emulator consoles/handhelds" that run Android, like those janky Chinese devices or those Ouya things, but they tend to be janky. One device that can play my retail titles, my DS titles, my Virtual Console/ambassador titles, and also titles that aren't out or won't ever be released - and do so in a form factor with input designed to play games would be greatness. I hope they are able to improve emulation speed/compatibility past the PSP or the DS/DSi.

Petrie

Banned
Piracy was being worked on the second they announced the 3DS. For everything on Earth that does something that costs money, someone was looking for a way to do it for free (or as close to free as reasonably possible). Whether it was modchips, CFW, softmods, multicarts, flashcarts and so on, there was always going to be people trying to play 3DS games for free.

This doesn't "enable" piracy or lead to it anymore than the first days some dudes in China or whatever were trying to reverse engineer the machine itself on release. People are going to try to use this to get to piracy more easily however, and I hope that doesn't happen. If/when it happens (like it has on pretty much every hardware/software platform ever), I hope it doesn't happen to any deleterious effect, either.

What I do hope happens is that handheld emulation on a device with standardized/built-in controls which are ideal for gaming (quality buttons, good layout, multiple controls) and won't require any additional purchases or tweaks will improve. The PSP was amazing, but development stopped there. Emulation on Android/iOS is very good, but there's no device with standardized quality controls, or you have to buy/use other controllers (which limits the convenience). One device that can play my retail titles, my DS titles, my Virtual Console/ambassador titles, and also titles that aren't out or won't ever be released - and do so in a form factor with input designed to play games would be greatness. I hope they are able to improve emulation speed/compatibility past the PSP or the DS/DSi.

I was never able to get SNES emulation and such on the PSP working properly. Maybe it was just me though.

I was never able to get SNES emulation and such on the PSP working properly. Maybe it was just me though.

PSP struggled to emulate SNES

Very bizarre but was a reality. I imagine 3DS would fare better but at this point I would just recommend everyone get a cheap android portable

rjc571

Banned
The PSP ran most SNES games at full speed as long as they weren't using certain Mode 7 effects or running on enhanced chipset cartridges. I think the people who say it ran the SNES badly didn't realize that you could, like, change settings to make it run better and stuff.

The PSP ran most SNES games at full speed as long as they weren't using certain Mode 7 effects or running on enhanced chipset cartridges. I think the people who say it ran the SNES badly didn't realize that you could, like, change settings to make it run better and stuff.

Only the most simple games would run properly, I tried many different settings 333Mhz (Oc) mode, frameskip, etc etc and many different builds of SNES emus.

3 of my favorite games are completely unplayable on the PSP, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country and Kirby's Dream Land 3.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
On the bright side, if this is really the only solution for homebrew on the 3DS, the rarity of the game makes piracy not really worthwhile. If they are so cheap to pirate why would they buy a £60+ game?

So basically, SNES didn't run perfectly, and many of the best games didn't run perfectly (and in some cases, well enough to enjoy) due to special chips and/or without concessions made in the form of frameskips and speed hacks.

This is why I hope it improves; I'd love for it to be better than that. Hell, I (and many Virtual Console shoppers on Wii, Wii U and 3DS) have paid - and will pay - money time and time again to get better than that.

baphomet

On the bright side, if this is really the only solution for homebrew on the 3DS, the rarity of the game makes piracy not really worthwhile. If they are so cheap to pirate why would they buy a £60+ game?

You don't understand how piracy works. People spend $100's to be able to pirate.

So basically, SNES didn't run perfectly, and many of the best games didn't run perfectly (and in some cases, well enough to enjoy) due to special chips and/or without concessions made in the form of frameskips and speed hacks.

This is why I hope it improves; I'd love for it to be better than that. Hell, I (and many Virtual Console shoppers on Wii, Wii U and 3DS) have paid - and will pay - money time and time again to get better than that.

This is only in regards to the PSP itself and it was limited by the coding and hardware.

Any newer system will have enough power to run SNES at full speed as long as the emulator is built well

rjc571

Banned
Only the most simple games would run properly, I tried many different settings 333Mhz (Oc) mode, frameskip, etc etc and many different builds of SNES emus.

3 of my favorite games are completely unplayable on the PSP, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country and Kirby's Dream Land 3.

I played Super Metroid and DKC on my PSP. DKC ran at full speed with no frameskipping, you just had to disable a background layer. Super Metroid ran at full speed for 90% of the game. It dropped badly if you used the X-ray visor or when the eyeball by the morph ball pickup uses its laser vision tracking effect, and it dropped to around 45-50 fps in Meridia or other areas with water. The rest of the time it was 60 fps constant.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I played Super Metroid and DKC on my PSP. DKC ran at full speed with no frameskipping, you just had to disable a background layer. Super Metroid ran at full speed for 90% of the game. It dropped badly if you used the X-ray visor or when the eyeball by the morph ball pickup uses its laser vision tracking effect, and it dropped to around 45-50 fps in Meridia or other areas with water. The rest of the time it was 60 fps constant.

that... sounds terrible

Luckily, a Gamestop near my college had a copy for $5, and I was able to get it after requesting a hold on it.

I'm mostly hoping to play Rhythm Tengoku on it when if the next one doesn't come out in America.

I played Super Metroid and DKC on my PSP. DKC ran at full speed with no frameskipping, you just had to disable a background layer. Super Metroid ran at full speed for 90% of the game. It dropped badly if you used the X-ray visor or when the eyeball by the morph ball pickup uses its laser vision tracking, and it dropped to around 45-50 fps in Meridia or other areas with water. The rest of the time it was 60 fps constant.

There are many more examples of games that struggled. You havent even touched on the many many sound issues.

PSP emulation was never really great beyond GBA honestly.

rjc571

Banned
that... sounds terrible

Why is it terrible? In Super Metroid it's literally one area in the entire game that causes an issue. With DKC, the background layer that you disable doesn't really effect the look of the game too much, it's only used for overlay effects

There are many more examples of games that struggled. You havent even touched on the many many sound issues.

Sound emulation didn't cause performance issues after they switched to emulating the sound processor on the PSP's Media Engine.

Petrie

Banned

Spending $60 to save hundreds or thousands? Seems well worth it to pirates I bet.

PSP struggled to emulate SNES

Very bizarre but was a reality. I imagine 3DS would fare better but at this point I would just recommend everyone get a cheap android portable

The lack of standard convenient built in controls makes this far less appealing.

Kouriozan

3 Cubic Ninja (FR sold out/UK/JP) in top 3 movers/shakers, good job guys.

P4c6OCr.png

Hope they know you need the JP 3DS for the JP game.

that... sounds terrible

SNESTYL was really annoying. Aside from the obvious perf problems, there was horrible input latency, I had a lot of random crashes and one time it totally shit the bed and deleted everything on my memory stick replacing the root with the SNESTYL folder.

And this is all in an emulator where maybe if you fiddle with it for half an hour you can get it to run skipping every other frame.

It's unfortunate that exophase ended up quitting working on this emulator due to the absolutely toxic PSP scene. The fanbase was horrible, he was getting constant harassment from people, and was really annoyed that someone was making unofficial forks of his emulator without releasing source (breaking GPL).

Spending $60 to save hundreds or thousands? Seems well worth it to pirates I bet.

The lack of standard convenient built in controls makes this far less appealing.

?

There are tons of android devices with full controls

Xperia Play, Nvidia Shield, and mountains of android Gaming Tablets and portables from china (lol)

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...-8#q=android+gaming+console&safe=off&tbm=shop

Also Gameclips and cases that add controls to your device like stuff from MOGA etc...

Petrie

Banned
?

Xperia Play, Nvidia Shield, and mountains of android Gaming Tablets and portables from china (lol)

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...-8#q=android+gaming+console&safe=off&tbm=shop

Also Gameclips and cases that add controls to your device like stuff from MOGA etc...

Can those devices also play DS and 3DS games, all in one device on can keep on my person?

This is about convenience for me in a lot of ways. One device that does as much as possible.

Can those devices also play DS and 3DS games, all in one device on can keep on my person?

This is about convenience for me in a lot of ways. One device that does as much as possible.

Well luckily for you I anticipate 3DS to be able to emulate SNES much better than PSP

?

None of those are built-in solutions that will simply just work - no configuration, no tweaking, no syncing, no hoping the version of the OS you use works with that Bluetooth stack with/without root or jailbreak.

The Android gaming consoles like Ouya don't natively emulate anything; they're in the same boat as emulating these consoles on a 3DS, except they aren't portable. The Android gaming handhelds like those JXD things you could find on Dealextreme or something are all shoddily built with wack buttons/triggers. Those Gameclips, Android/iOS controllers and cases are all inconvenient compared to a single device that runs these games, has the controls built right into it, and has high-quality buttons/triggers already.

If you have one of those clips, or you use your PS3/PS4/360/XB1/Wiimotes, or you have an Android/iOS controller, or a jailbroken Ouya/Gamestick/MOJO, or a HBC'd Wii/Wii U, or even still run your old NesterDC discs/OG softmod Xbox, more power to you. I have some of those things too.

...but none of those things are a currently-well supported handheld with a highly pocketable formfactor that already has excellent controls, which also has current-gen games, that also has native emulation support via Virtual Console, and that additionally through homebrew will probably be able right off the bat to emulate everything well through N64/PS1, and have the potential to improve that emulation quality within reason.

And none of those things are something that at least 40 million people definitely already have.

None of those are built-in solutions that will simply just work - no configuration, no tweaking, no syncing, no hoping the version of the OS you use works with that Bluetooth stack with/without root or jailbreak.

The Android gaming consoles like Ouya don't natively emulate anything; they're in the same boat as emulating these consoles on a 3DS, except they aren't portable. The Android gaming handhelds like those JXD things you could find on Dealextreme or something are all shoddily built with wack buttons/triggers. Those Gameclips, Android/iOS controllers and cases are all inconvenient compared to a single device that runs these games, has the controls built right into it, and has high-quality buttons/triggers already.

If you have one of those clips, or you use your PS3/PS4/360/XB1/Wiimotes, or you have an Android/iOS controller, or a jailbroken Ouya/Gamestick/MOJO, or a HBC'd Wii/Wii U, or even still run your old NesterDC discs/OG softmod Xbox, more power to you. I have some of those things too.

...but none of those things are a currently-well supported handheld with a highly pocketable formfactor that already has excellent controls, which also has current-gen games, that also has native emulation support via Virtual Console, and that additionally through homebrew will probably be able right off the bat to emulate everything well through N64/PS1, and have the potential to improve that emulation quality within reason.

And none of those things are something that at least 40 million people definitely already have.

There really isn't a true replacement for Xperia Play

Thanks for reminding me..... it was so godlike

Nothing was better than the PSP in its prime, IMHO.

EXCELLENT games of its own. EXCELLENT homebrew and emulation support. I played Crisis Core, Grandia 1 PSX, read comics/manga/ebooks, and watched movies on the same device - before the rise of Android/iOS tablets.

The best non-Nintendo portable ever. Period.

EXCELLENT games of its own. EXCELLENT homebrew and emulation support. I played Crisis Core, Grandia 1 PSX, read comics/manga/ebooks, and watched movies on the same device - before the rise of Android/iOS tablets.

Oh for sure

Its only flaw was its struggles to emulate SNES/N64 though I dont really fault it for N64.... thats a notoriously hard system to emulate even on todays computers (not for lack of power but clearly lack of someone really nailing down the emualtor)

I'd love to be able to dump my games to an SD card and load it, similarly to Devolution on Wii, with some form of anti piracy.

I bought a lot of them before they launched on the eShop so that'd be great.

I loved it. It was the best emulation machine I ever had (great controls), perfect portable PSX gaming machine, the movies, I was freaking running windows 95 on that thing. I had fucking windows 95 on it. (for shits and giggles). I loved the PSP.

Except it was about as comfortable as holding a brick.

For that reason alone, my emu machine is my DS Lite - I deal with the lousy SNES emulator and the 'decent but can't fit the whole screen on' Mega Drive emulator just because it's better to hold.

Seventy70

It's ironic how the studio went out of business before the game started selling like this lol

It would be funny if people gave the game a shot and liked it, which created demand for Cubic Ninja 2.

pje122

Better than some Nintendo portables, I'd say.

Drago

I remember seeing people injecting their own GBA roms into ambassador titles on GBAtemp, will I be able to do things like that once the exploit is out? Full GBA compatability like that would be amazing

Top Bottom