• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

Hobbun

Does anyone know if the preorders were confirmed for tomorrow at GS? Last time I talked to my local GS (Thursday), they had not received a confirmation from corporate on preorders, but knew about the rumors themselves, and expected it. I forgot to call them yesterday about it.

wwm0nkey

Hobbun said:
Does anyone know if the preorders were confirmed for tomorrow at GS? Last time I talked to my local GS (Thursday), they had not received a confirmation from corporate on preorders, but knew about the rumors themselves, and expected it. I forgot to call them yesterday about it.
My GS that I work at and the one my sister works at both got confirmation that they do start on the 26th.

Hobbun

They do? It would have been nice if GS put the information out.

What time does your GS open tomorrow? Is it normal time at 11 a.m.? At least I assume Gamestops have the same opening/closing time between all their stores.

wwm0nkey

Hobbun said:
They do? It would have been nice if GS put the information out.

What time does your GS open tomorrow? Is it normal time at 11 a.m.? At least I assume Gamestops have the same opening/closing time between all their stores.
We open at 8am tomorrow I believe, we are expected to be very busy with Holiday returns.....I know Im going to get a lot of annoying people tomorrow at work -_-

Hobbun

Ok, thanks. I'll call my store at 8 then.

I still think it was a crappy move on Gamestops part to keep us in the dark in regards the confirmation for the preorders. I am guessing there are going to be very limited preorders like originally with the Wii.

wwm0nkey

Hobbun said:
Ok, thanks. I'll call my store at 8 then.

I still think it was a crappy move on Gamestops part to keep us in the dark in regards the confirmation for the preorders. I am guessing there are going to be very limited preorders like originally with the Wii.
Hell GS in Canada just decided to randomly start one day so this doesnt surprise me really :lol

Hobbun

Well, what I am getting at is with the Wii, at least there was a day announced ahead of time when preorders were being taken. And stores would get only a very select amount of systems so you better be there on that day when preorders opened up because it would fill very fast. (I think the store I go to received only 17 Wiis)

But with the 3DS, there was nothing, except a rumor. And as I said, I assume the 3DS is going to have very limited units shipped out as well (the manager at my local GS feels the same, also). I'm just saying they should have let us know ahead of time on the preorders, if there will be limited units. If not, and they'll receive as many units as they preorder, then it really doesn't make a difference.

Xater

Hmm I should call Gamestop here in Germany to see if they take pre-orders. I'll pre-order it just to be on the safe side, even if I should end up not getting one.

wwm0nkey said:
We open at 8am tomorrow I believe, we are expected to be very busy with Holiday returns.....I know Im going to get a lot of annoying people tomorrow at work -_-

Are you in a Gamestop in the US? I've yet to hear ANY word about this at my store, if anything my DM would have said something.

Hobbun said:
But the whole point of not doing it until the 26th was to hide it. Neither Nintendo nor Gamestop wants 3DS to affect holiday sales of the DSi or current DS games.

Hobbun

Dreamwriter said:
But the whole point of not doing it until the 26th was to hide it. Neither Nintendo nor Gamestop wants 3DS to affect holiday sales of the DSi or current DS games.

Announcing/confirming preorders for the 26th would not have made a difference on sales for the DSi or DS games. Everyone knows its coming already, it would have only been opening up preordering, not announcing a release date.

Again though, if there will not be a limited amount of preorders (or, a large amount of them), keeping it in the dark will not be that big of an issue.

I just don't want to call in tomorrow morning and hear "Oh, I'm sorry sir, we only had 15 preorders available and they are filled." If it is going to be limited like that, they should be announcing ahead of time.

Hobbun said:
Announcing/confirming preorders for the 26th would not have made a difference on sales for the DSi or DS games. Especially since it's only a preorder and not actually selling the system.

Again though, if there will not be a limited amount of preorders (or, a large amount of them), keeping it in the dark will not be that big of an issue.

I just don't want to call in tomorrow morning and hear "Oh, I'm sorry sir, we only had 15 preorders available and they are filled." If it is going to be limited like that, they should be announcing ahead of time.

If it includes signs for "PREORDER 3DS COMING SOON" it would certainly effect some parents. Why get Jimmy the DS now or a new one when the 3DS is coming out soon. For all my years, working @ target @ christmas, i can't tell you how many people would ask me if a new system was coming out soon.

Hobbun

demosthenes said:
If it includes signs for "PREORDER 3DS COMING SOON" it would certainly effect some parents. Why get Jimmy the DS now or a new one when the 3DS is coming out soon. For all my years, working @ target @ christmas, i can't tell you how many people would ask me if a new system was coming out soon.

I understand, but what they should have done then is just announce a date sometime after Christmas, but give a few days notice. Like announce on the 26th and preorders for the 30th. Just so that the confirmation doesn't come in the day of the preorder.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I had a freaking 3DS dream last night (I was playing Magic Carpet 3DS and it really looked more 3D than the rest of my dream did :lol) so I'm definitely ready to preorder.

Square Triangle said:
Are you in a Gamestop in the US? I've yet to hear ANY word about this at my store, if anything my DM would have said something.
There was an email about a month back talking about it. I didn't believe him at first because I hadn't heard about preorders either. It's legit though, trust me.

GDGF said:
I had a freaking 3DS dream last night (I was playing Magic Carpet 3DS and it really looked more 3D than the rest of my dream did :lol) so I'm definitely ready to preorder.
Is that even a real 3DS game? :lol

In Canada when they started taking pre-orders a few weeks ago there were some gamestops that had employees that didn't even know. My cousin tried to order it and they said they weren't taking pre-orders and didn't know what he was talking about. But I did mine just fine.

Goes to show how questionable this whole process is to begin with.

Argyle

So I'm still on vacation here, I'm probably screwed if I want to preorder (since I will probably not be here when the machine comes out), right? :(

antonz

Argyle said:
So I'm still on vacation here, I'm probably screwed if I want to preorder (since I will probably not be here when the machine comes out), right? :(

I would imagine you should be able to preorder online either tommorrow or sometime soon as well.

most of the gamestops i called yesterday had no idea that pre-orders were starting on Sunday, so i will go and if i get rejected i will blame you OP ;p :lol

if amazon does pre-orders that day then i will double dip but would you have to pay the full $250-300 for it?

Lkr

I highly doubt that there are pre orders tomorrow. Why would gamestop keep it a secret from their potential customers? It is like selling a game but not telling anyone it has been released.

Lkr said:
I highly doubt that there are pre orders tomorrow. Why would gamestop keep it a secret from their potential customers? It is like selling a game but not telling anyone it has been released.
like I said it was the same here, a bunch didn't know shit, a bunch did, but no one advertised it or anything.

I figure the early order dates are for the hardcore folks and sometime after more details are announced they'll go buckwild with the promotion.

antonz

friskykillface said:
most of the gamestops i called yesterday had no idea that pre-orders were starting on Sunday, so i will go and if i get rejected i will blame you OP ;p :lol

if amazon does pre-orders that day then i will double dip but would you have to pay the full $250-300 for it?

Amazon doesnt charge til item ships so wouldnt be paying anything

Lkr said:

Sounds like Grafitti Entertainment.

Kusagari

So, how is anyone supposed to know this is starting tomorrow if it is? The only reason we know is because you GameStop employees told us.

Xater

Kusagari said:
So, how is anyone supposed to know this is starting tomorrow if it is? The only reason we know is because you GameStop employees told us.

The mainstream is not supposed to know. They still want to sell the DS.

Kusagari said:

when i called yesterday, a woman was laughing for two reasons, she had no idea a 3DS was being made and when i said it was probably coming out March, she said it was way to early for pre-orders.

Anyway, a 10 minute drive from my home, i'll go anyway, i want to be #1 :lol :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Alienshogun said:
Have there been any good games announced for it yet? I won't buy this for Mario or just for fucking tactics games.

wut

You got a lot of catching up to do man :)

(yes, btw)

Provided preorders are starting tomorrow anywhere, it's evident that GameStop has handled this ineptly. This should be handled consistently chain-wide, but instead, many stores have been given literally zero advance notice. (I didn't actually call any stores yesterday like friskykillface, but the employees at the Manhattan stores I called early this week knew nothing.)

friskykillface said:
when i called yesterday, a woman was laughing for two reasons, she had no idea a 3DS was being made and when i said it was probably coming out March, she said it was way to early for pre-orders.

Anyway, a 10 minute drive from my home, i'll go anyway, i want to be #1 :lol :lol
lol when I went to order it the woman almost turned me away and then the manager said wtf are you doing and took my pre-order.

Busaiku said:
Does Gamestop stop taking preorders after a certain point?
Won't be able to head over to one for a bit.
Pretty sure they take them leading up to release but if you pre-order way late it will definitely go in the order of those who pre-ordered first, so you might get boned. Just don't wait till late feb.

When I left yesterday at 3pm, there was no communication about any of this from the office.

I texted some fellow managers and they we're all like "Whaaaaa?".

There are a few 3ds games available for presale in the register already, Lovely Lisa 3DS and Madden 3DS, both with late march/early april release dates.

I'm opening tomorrow, so I'll bring an extra 50$ to be safe, but it seems like a really fucktarded day to be doing this. There's going to be lines of people returning and exchanging and people with gift cards everywhere.

Kusagari said:

All I know is that corporate sent an email a month ago telling us to get ready to preorder the 3DS on December 26. No other details like pricing or release date were given.

Top Bottom