• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

beje

Banned
itxaka said:
Got nothing today on the metro between Tribunal and ronda de las comunicaciones :( Seems that not a lot of people have it yet.

But I got into a Game and the guy had it so we exchanged miis and SSF4 battle :D

EDIT: There is also this huge gathering the 2nd of April at the Jardines of Atocha. More than 150 people gathered last year to play their DS and this year is 3DS only. I'm gonna get Mii RICH BITCH.

Ronda de la Comunicación? I work that too hahahahaha West 1 building :p

I was going to go to that meeting too but I forgot it's my sis' birthday u_u

Lee N

Membre
Nothing so far. I've had my 3DS for a month now and nothing... I'm still waiting for my Japanese teacher to get her system from Japan so I can at least get one surechigai but other than that, I don't expect much.

glaurung

glaurung said:
Cannot access Mii Plaza - gives the error that this feature is not available in my region.

WTF is this shit.
So, quoting my own post here...

StreetPass really is disabled when you select an unsupported region in your initial setup or when you change it to one later on.

I selected Estonia as my region since it was on the list and since I do in fact live here. Result: tapping either the friends list button on the home menu or the Mii Plaza shortcut gives an ambiguous error message telling you that this feature is not available in your region. Thankfully you can change the region - I switched mine to UK and now both items work properly.

Is it retarded an unnecessary to block these functions? Yes.

Does big N care? Most assuredly not.

itxaka

Defeatist
beje said:
Ronda de la Comunicación? I work that too hahahahaha West 1 building :p

I was going to go to that meeting too but I forgot it's my sis' birthday u_u

Telefonica building? I'm on the Citibank one, a bit further from the metro station :D we will surely cross with streetpass one day or another!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
glaurung said:
I selected Estonia as my region since it was on the list and since I do in fact live here. Result: tapping either the friends list button on the home menu or the Mii Plaza shortcut gives an ambiguous error message telling you that this feature is not available in your region.
Damn, that sucks. I wonder what their reasoning is.

drunkendonuts said:
this is nuts, today i walked through school for like 15 minutes, i found eight more people on street pass! so that makes 10 people in 2 days! this is awesome. currently almost done with super mario galaxy and other M pictures and am on my way to saving my mii in Find Mii.

I've got to start hitting the schools.

As I interpreted the manual, StreetPass is disabled when playing/sleeping in any DS game, regardless of whether or not it has its own similar features built in. Is this correct?

Trike

I haven't really taken it anywhere yet, but I am going to later today. Hopefully I'll get some. Although I am going to E3 this year, so I will probably get tons. Is there a limit to the amount of Mii's you can store from streetpass?

gimz

got off work early today, i kinda want to go out and walk with my 3DS just to see if i can get my first streetpass buddy :(

MooMoo

Father_Brain said:
As I interpreted the manual, StreetPass is disabled when playing/sleeping in any DS game, regardless of whether or not it has its own similar features built in. Is this correct?
Is there a particular page for this for reference? If you're referring to what they said on Page 30 " You cannot access the HOME Menu while playing Nintendo DS/Nintendo DSi software. Likewise, you cannot use SpotPass or StreetPass features," I think they're just saying StreetPass isn't backwards compatible with DS games that have tag modes.

EDIT: It seems like I'm wrong and you're right.

eXistor

It really helps when everyone at work has a 3DS and takes it with him every day :)

My walk from my car to the workplace ensures I'll get my 10 coins as well and I'm getting about 5 hits a day the way it's going now. Normally I'm not into stuff like this at all, but Nintendo nailed it with this one.

Teknoman

richiek said:
I was walking on campus during my lunchbreak and I got a grand total of 1 Mii via Streetpass.

lol same here. Not sure what time they arrived, but still, its better than nothing. How do you use those Mii in Find Mii anyway?

Kintaco said:
You wouldn't happen to be heading to PCC would you?
Shieet. If I had left 20 minutes earlier for work, I probably would've picked him up on the 210, too.

If you guys ever drive by the hospital in Arcadia, you might just Streetpass with me, lol.

beje

Banned
itxaka said:
Telefonica building? I'm on the Citibank one, a bit further from the metro station :D we will surely cross with streetpass one day or another!

Yes, in Telefónica. I usually don't use the metro to go tp work (train + bus is faster), but I can make some exception any day XD

daffy

Banned
Teknoman said:
lol same here. Not sure what time they arrived, but still, its better than nothing. How do you use those Mii in Find Mii anyway?
I had to actually play Find Mii first, then I found 2 more people the next day and it worked. I didn't exit Mii Plaza, just went straight into it after I found them.

They ran away at 2 ghosts :( ...At least they got me a Mario Hat :D

EDIT: Misunderstood what you were asking... you use them to fight off enemies in each dungeon RPG-like battle. The Miis are pretty weak so they run off usually, but if you win you get a treasure chest! I got a Mario Hat in the first battle.

Managed to find 3 people yesterday while working in San Francisco yesterday and managed to meet at least one more person today so far.

Pretty cool and so far, my indicator light has been right on with each pass.

glaurung said:
So, quoting my own post here...

StreetPass really is disabled when you select an unsupported region in your initial setup or when you change it to one later on.

I selected Estonia as my region since it was on the list and since I do in fact live here. Result: tapping either the friends list button on the home menu or the Mii Plaza shortcut gives an ambiguous error message telling you that this feature is not available in your region. Thankfully you can change the region - I switched mine to UK and now both items work properly.

Is it retarded an unnecessary to block these functions? Yes.

Does big N care? Most assuredly not.

Hey, I had the same problem upon choosing the Isle of Man as my region. But it wouldn't let me connect to the internet properly at all, until I swapped to UK and then everything internetwise (Friends List included) worked fine.

But I was able to switch back to my original region and everything continued to work. Were you? Don't really understand why this problem is here - I was thrilled to see Isle of Man as a region as it's often ignored but then so frustrated. Means everyone around here probably sets their region to UK and leaves it as that. :(

Poyunch

Got my first person in one of my classes.
H0YuB.jpg

:D

Amir0x

Banned
I suspect I will never pass even a single person with this. Maybe if I bring my 3DS when I visit New York City or some shit, but I don't bring my handhelds with me to the city.

Should be some internet version of this for USA if it adds up to anything more than shallow games.

Magnus

It's been on and either being played or in StreetPass Mode for a whole trip across a subway line in Toronto and all-day at a quieter college campus. Nothin yet.

(Toronto)

Fantastical said:
I'm curious to know how many people on GAF have actually connected with someone via Streetpass. I plan on taking my 3DS with me when I go around the university tomorrow to see if I can get anyone.

Any funny/cool experiences with the 3DS's new feature? I'm very curious to see if there is any chance of this becoming popular at all in North America. Hopefully we get a lot more games that support this.

I ran all around Vienna for 4 days and nothing. Then i went by train to Innsbruck and on the way from one train to the next (literally only 2 minutes of me running like a madman to get the train) I caught my first Streetpass encounter. Was excited like a little schoolgirl.

Chorazin

This feature will be barren and empty for me. Maybe one a week if I get lucky, probably one a month.

But then, in a year, it will be time for PAX East again....and then StreetPass will be GLORIOUS!!

Sorry if this has been clarified already, but any ideas on how brief an encounter can be for Streetpass to work? You can walk past a person to get it to happen, but can you run past them? Will it work if they cycle past you or if you're walking on the pavement and they drive past in a car?

Kintaco

donkey show said:
Shieet. If I had left 20 minutes earlier for work, I probably would've picked him up on the 210, too.

If you guys ever drive by the hospital in Arcadia, you might just Streetpass with me, lol.
Methodist? My son was born there.

eastmen

Banned
Anyone in Paramus NJ or the surrounding area's ?

A few guys at the bergen town center mall have their 3ds i got ping by 5 people there today and if you message me on thursday i can allways meet up at one of the places before or after my evening class for exchanges

Kintaco said:
Methodist? My son was born there.
Awesome man! And that's where I be. =)

I got a couple Streepasses when I was at Santa Anita last night as well, so that's a good place to hit up if you're in the area.

Cyport

Taken my 3DS literally everywhere and still no Streetpass, I'm at Uni in London but I suppose the area (New Cross) isn't the richest of areas and nobody in halls has one. I'm getting desperate and my play coins are not enough for the rpg!

Teknoman

SephCast said:
Wait, do we have to be at the home menu for street pass to work? Can we not be in a suspended game?

As long as you have street pass activated for the software (SSFIV, Miis, etc.) it will work no matter the menu...or should work that way.

Manmedaz

Teknoman said:
As long as you have street pass activated for the software (SSFIV, Miis, etc.) it will work no matter the menu...or should work that way.

It does work even with a game playing in it, it worked for me while having Nintendogs on the podometer (the mode where you're virtually walking with your dog).

Manmedaz said:
It does work even with a game playing in it, it worked for me while having Nintendogs on the podometer (the mode where you're virtually walking with your dog).
I haven't tried this mode, what does walking with your dog get you? Anything different than you get in an in-game walk?

Manmedaz

Neuromancer said:
I haven't tried this mode, what does walking with your dog get you? Anything different than you get in an in-game walk?

Well, you get gifts depending on the distance you walked each time you open the console (got a yellow pair of sunglasses for 6000 steps today). If you walk around 1000 steps, you'd things like a bottle of watter, or 10 cookies. Other than that, I guess it gives you love points from your dog.

Also, one thing I found is that when you walk in-game with your dog, when you find plastic blocks, if you zigzag between them without touching one, you get a gift (the harder the slalom, the better the gift is).

Izayoi

Banned
First day back to college. Four hits so far, and I've still got seven hours of classes.

Much better than I was expecting (though I got tons of hits a couple weeks ago for Pokemon, guess I should've been expecting at least a few).

Can anyone explain this?

It shows here that I ran into 2 people:

mijRWl.jpg

But on this screen it shows 0 Data Transmissions, and also those 2 people never showed up in my puzzle or rpg games, just on that main screen.

o8Uq4l.jpg

Struct09

FleaTheMagician said:
Can anyone explain this?

It shows here that I ran into 2 people:

http://i.imgur.com/mijRWl.jpg[IMG]

But on this screen it shows 0 Data Transmissions, and also those 2 people never showed up in my puzzle or rpg games, just on that main screen.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/o8Uq4l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Despite having over 100 StreetPass Mii Plaza tags, mine also says 0 Data Transmissions there.

As for using those Miis in your puzzle and RPG games - you need to play the games as soon as you greet them after tagging, otherwise you lose your chance.

Struct09 said:
Despite having over 100 StreetPass Mii Plaza tags, mine also says 0 Data Transmissions there.

As for using those Miis in your puzzle and RPG games - you need to play the games as soon as you greet them after tagging, otherwise you lose your chance.

How long do you have? Hours? Minutes? I opened my DS, saw I had 2 people and tried it and they weren't there. I never even got a notification on my notifications screen either.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm a bit confused on the sound stuff. I got a Streetpass sound thing, but it says it might show up on your hit parade if you continue to get more tags? What is this?

Whoooooo got one! Ha that green light gets the heart pounding.
So I went farrr today (14,000 steps) and got one... from the games shop named GAME, the Mii was named 'Game' and his comment was "Game" :/
Very lame but I don't care cause I finally got one!
On the RPG he hit the ghost with a critical which did 'triple damage' then missed the next two strikes and ran away :/
It will probably take me about 5 years to do the Mii Quest as I plan on doing it fully only with people I meet. Hopefully I take another trip to Asia soon :D

Top Bottom