• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Virtual Console - News and Releases

I'm weary about getting any GG games. I never owned one, so I have no idea if they're good or what they are.

Are 2 of the newer Sonics GG ports of the Genesis versions?

Is Shining Force as Fire Emblem as it looks? Is it good?

This will be a quiet thread hurr hurr hurr. But seriously, the 3DS VC is a joke. At least Shantae's coming out in July (after being delayed from June).

Velcro Fly

Sega has been getting GG games up on the VC at a phenomenal clip this month.

Too bad they aren't going to do any summer VC release thing like they did last year. That would have been a cool thing to sorta clear out the backlog of stuff not released here yet.

Danneee

Awesome thread. Now I need Mario Golf to come out in EU:/

And SMB2/3, road rash/sor2/desert strike gg (only sor is likely though) and all the Sega 3d classics to be released.

None of the Sonic Game Gear games are Genesis/Mega Drive downports. They're all original games. Except for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I guess. Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble are worth checking out!

Oh really. The games having the same name had me totally fooled into thinking they were. I didn't really like Triple Trouble. I quit playing it on some shitty water stage.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Good job! will you sort them by region eventually?

None of the Sonic Game Gear games are Genesis/Mega Drive downports. They're all original games. Except for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I guess. Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble are worth checking out!

Interesting. I have gone my whole life thinking they were downports a-la the GG Streets of Rage etc. I might actually have to pick one up now. Discovering all these GG games is really cool since I never owned one.

Jaagen

How's the River King games? Any good?

I'm also looking for some VC recommendations, as I just got a 3DS(I've bought the Oracle games and I've played Links Awakening to death on my GameBoy)

Nintendo needs to put the original Pokemon Red and Blue on the VC. Nostalgia overload.

Don't expect Pokemon Red and Blue on the Virtual Console in the near future.

“We’re always very careful—we believe that Pokémon is best on a handheld. If we were to put it on virtual console, on the home console, what would you do with the Pokémon you caught? It would be kind of stuck, was one of the concerns we’ve had.”
Don't even mention 3DS VC, morons.

How's the River King games? Any good?

I'm also looking for some VC recommendations, as I just got a 3DS(I've bought the Oracle games and I've played Links Awakening to death on my GameBoy)

Even if you don't like Golf games I highly recommend Mario Golf GBC. I am finding it's mix of JRPG and Golf to be addictive and fun. Really nice graphics as well.

Mario and 6 Golden Coins, and Wario Land 1 and 2 also give incredible bang for your buck and are darn good platformers.

Jaagen

Even if you don't like Golf games I highly recommend Mario Golf GBC. I am finding it's mix of JRPG and Golf to be addictive and fun. Really nice graphics as well.

Mario and 6 Golden Coins, and Wario Land 1 and 2 also give incredible bang for your buck and are darn good platformers.

Thanks. I loved Mario Tennis on the GBC. Especially the RPG aspect. Too bad the sequels dropped it.

Thanks. I loved Mario Tennis on the GBC. Especially the RPG aspect. Too bad the sequels dropped it.

Oh yeah, and River King seems to be pretty well regarded from what I have read. It has fighting monsters (animals) and fishing. Since I have never played a fishing game outside of Zelda and BoF minigames I really want to check it out. Looks incredibly unique and interesting.

Kurtofan

Am I the only one who wish the GB version of Link's Awakening was available alongside the GBC one?

I need my nostalgia :'(

serplux

I'm weary about getting any GG games. I never owned one, so I have no idea if they're good or what they are.

Are 2 of the newer Sonics GG ports of the Genesis versions?

Not quite as good as the Genesis entries, but it's still a damn great game. It is Shining Force after all (and yes, it's Sega's answer to Fire Emblem).

LakeEarth

Awesome thread. I just hate that they insist on giving us Gameboy and Game Gear games. They're already portable! How bout you give us some SNES games that we've never been able to play on the go?

That being said, GB Donkey Kong is amazing. Tricks you into thinking it is going to be the same old Donkey Kong, then level 5 blows you away.

Awesome thread. I just hate that they insist on giving us Gameboy and Game Gear games. They're already portable! How bout you give us some SNES games that we've never been able to play on the go?

That being said, GB Donkey Kong is amazing. Tricks you into thinking it is going to be the same old Donkey Kong, then level 5 blows you away.

The bolded is one of the best gameboy games ever made. Love that I have it on my 3ds.

I want more NES games. SNES and GBA would be good too but I'm guessing they are waiting for whatever the 3DS equivalent to a dsi refresh is going to be to release them (WiiU and 3DS2 account integration)

Will probably hear about a new refresh soon (after Pokemon is out)

Jacobi

Banned
When will we freaking get 16 bit games? It's weird to me seeing people praise the VC lineup when it's pretty bad...

Great thread OP! Thanks.

I hope Nintendo brings SNES and GBA vc to the 3DS. They have no reason not to. If they're holding up for the next handheld, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So where's Virtual Boy Wario, Nintendo?
Holy crap, yes. I would love to be able to play VB Wario Land, along with Jack Bros., maybe Teleroboxer, and Vertical Force. A shame Nintendo probably won't go through the trouble of figuring out how to emulate VB on 3DS.

MAX PAYMENT

As someone that has never played a mega man game. I'm amazed at how many there were on one console. Which one is the best?

Berordn

Yeah. Colors are weird.

I just wish they had the option to play a GBC enhanced game on a Game Boy, and vice versa. It can't be that hard a tweak, but it'll probably never happen because they seem to dislike giving us that many options in their emulator.

Andrefpvs

Actually they are downports (only technically, though). The original games are from the Master System:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeQx0CMnFk

and they were ported a couple of months later to the Game Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YiWzYVe-4

The more you know! 😄

(I freaking love this level, by the way)

womp

Am I the only one who wish the GB version of Link's Awakening was available alongside the GBC one?

I need my nostalgia :'(

Nope, you aren't alone. I too wish the original B&W GB version was there as well, that was the version *I* played. Honestly, just having it be an option to the DX version would have been cool...HOLD L & R and press Y like you can already do with the B&W/green in the non color games. :(

BOTEC

Nope, you aren't alone. I too wish the original B&W GB version was there as well, that was the version *I* played. Honestly, just having it be an option to the DX version would have been cool...HOLD L & R and press Y like you can already do with the B&W/green in the non color games. :(

Oh snap! I had no idea that was an option.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering Sega's been releasing a decent amount of GG games, I really hope they put the Game Gear versions of Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy on the VC. Really wanna try them out, but only other way is to import that PS2 Collection with Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and Alien Storm.

& agree with the idea of letting certain DX/GBC-enhanced games allowing you to play in either GB or GBC mode. Was disappointed that you can't access the Advance Shop in the Oracle games which you can only visit by playing the game on a GBA.

HYDE

Banned
Holy crap, yes. I would love to be able to play VB Wario Land, along with Jack Bros., maybe Teleroboxer, and Vertical Force. A shame Nintendo probably won't go through the trouble of figuring out how to emulate VB on 3DS.

If you're a fan of the arcade Mario Bros. like me, you'll probably love Mario Clash also.

Andrefpvs

I thought it was the other way around, GG originals then ported to SMS?

Nope, Master System are the originals.

Well, what I mean is that they came out earlier than the Game Gear versions. It's very probable that they were developed simultaneously.

Edit: Anyway, has Nintendo said anything at all regarding SNES games on 3DS?

It is fairly Fire Emblem like. The Mega Drive entry came out about the same time as fire Emblem Gaiden which I always found amusing (as both have overworlds to traverse).

The GG Shining Forces are straight map after map with preparations in-between though. It is mechanically simpler than Fire Emblem though. Turn order is based on unit agility and feels a little arbitrary. Battle pace is a bit slower as counterattacks are fairly rare.

Nope, Master System are the originals.

Well, what I mean is that they came out earlier than the Game Gear versions. It's very probable that they were developed simultaneously.

Edit: Anyway, has Nintendo said anything at all regarding SNES games on 3DS?

The way they seem to handle it at the moment is Nes and Gameboy (color) on 3DS and Snes and GBA on WiiU.
Sucks.
The way they manage their virtual console is so frustrating... I want Final Fantasy VI on 3DS!

Top Bottom