• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Virtual Console - News and Releases

The worst part is that apparently they are coming but to the Wii U. WTF Nintendo? Portable games on a non-portable system. Yeah, sounds about right.

Everything needs to be available on all platforms. They need to make their Wii U and 3DS VC mirror one another. I don't like the system specific shit they have going on right now. The "extra work" put in to the Wii U versions seems about in line with the 3DS versions so why not?

Also, I should be able to buy Super Metroid on my Wii U and have it also show up on my 3DS. There are very, very few games I'd buy for both (and I'm a retro game nutcase) so I think it's time to just be a little generous.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The worst part is that apparently they are coming but to the Wii U. WTF Nintendo? Portable games on a non-portable system. Yeah, sounds about right.
Super Game Boy & Game Boy Player?

All seriousness, yeah, I don't get why they announced it for Wii U instead of 3DS. Granted, Off-TV Play will be cool, but I'd much rather download them on 3DS to add to the 10 I got for being an ambassador.

Tayaya

Will we ever see Minish Cap get a release outside of the ambassador program?

Nintendo did say the GBA games would always be "exclusive to the 3DS Ambassadors."

Doesn't mean they won't backpedal eventually, but..... I wouldn't hold my breath. I have the ambassador games though, as I bought my 3DS at launch due to it having Pilotwings and a competent portable Super Street Fighter 4.

Andrefpvs

The way they seem to handle it at the moment is Nes and Gameboy (color) on 3DS and Snes and GBA on WiiU.
Sucks.
The way they manage their virtual console is so frustrating... I want Final Fantasy VI on 3DS!

Yeah, FF6 is the game I think about when wondering if SNES games will make it to 3DS.

I know what I'm complaining about when Miiverse hits the 3DS :p

The Ambassador GBA games run fine.

Also, why is the Virtual Console lineup so shameful? On both 3DS and Wii U. Was it this bad on the Wii? I expected for their to be much more shit available. It makes no sense. This is an opportunity for free money. WTF?

This is fantastic. Thanks for making this man.

Okay, so I've never given Mega Man a shot, but obviously am interested in doing so after seeing how badass he looks in Smash. Which Mega Man games are the best? Also, how do the Sonic games play? Are the GameGear ports inferior? Which Sonic game on the 3DS VC should I pick up?

I live in NA, by the by

RM8

For real. I don't think putting every single GB or NES game out there is a good idea, but man, how about one or two a week? We have the worst Mega Man and Castlevania on Game Boy and it doesn't look like we'll get the better titles. We for some idiotic reason don't have Kirby's Dream Land 2.

zroid

Banned
Everything needs to be available on all platforms. They need to make their Wii U and 3DS VC mirror one another. I don't like the system specific shit they have going on right now. The "extra work" put in to the Wii U versions seems about in line with the 3DS versions so why not?

But that would require them to reach standard with the rest of industry. C'mon, son.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Considering Sega's been releasing a decent amount of GG games, I really hope they put the Game Gear versions of Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy on the VC. Really wanna try them out, but only other way is to import that PS2 Collection with Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and Alien Storm.

In case you didn't know: The Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box is available on the JP PSN (for 800 yen, I think).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In case you didn't know: The Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box is available on the JP PSN (for 800 yen, I think).
Wow, didn't know that. Then again, I already have Gunstar Heroes on about 3 systems and got Dynamite Headdy and Alien Storm on Wii VC. I'll keep that in mind if Sega never adds the 2 GG versions of GH & DH.

cacildo

I could try a few of the Game Gear games..........

But $3,99?

The game gear wasnt popular at all. Nobody knows this games. They should mark it $1,99 so i could buy it and not feel guilty if the game turns out to be crap.

Awesome thread - subscribed.

I too would like to see more VC games, especially some SNES - let me quadruple dip on some games please Nintendo!

rjc571

Banned
I could try a few of the Game Gear games..........

But $3,99?

The game gear wasnt popular at all. Nobody knows this games. They should mark it $1,99 so i could buy it and not feel guilty if the game turns out to be crap.

They're only 300 yen on the Japanese eShop. If you buy a Japanese 3DS, it'll pay for itself in Game Gear discounts!

joe1138

Subbed. Can't wait for GBA and SNES games to make an appearance.

If Nintendo can get SNES and GBA games on the 3DS VC, it will instantly become my favorite system of all time (handheld or otherwise). This is the "killer app" that will push it over the edge.

serplux

Updated the OP (every Game Boy game now indicates regional availability and price, along with upping the image quality on a few games).

For example:

Roz1U9t.png

rl0e05t.png
= available in Europe/Australia
EvaUs5H.png
= available in the Americas
9w86k9f.png
= available in Japan

Will update Game Gear games next.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
They're only 300 yen on the Japanese eShop. If you buy a Japanese 3DS, it'll pay for itself in Game Gear discounts!

Can't I just jump on the Japanese eShop (changing the location of the 3DS) and buy them there?

I know you can change between US and Brazilian stores by just doing that, so I assumed one could access the Japanese store as well.

rjc571

Banned
Can't I just jump on the Japanese eShop (changing the location of the 3DS) and buy them there?

I know you can change between US and Brazilian stores by just doing that, so I assumed one could access the Japanese store as well.

Nope, the eShop store is region locked. I guess Nintendo considers the US and Brazil to be part of the same region.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nope, the eShop store is region locked. I guess Nintendo considers the US and Brazil to be part of the same region.

You can only select countries within your 3DS's region.

Maybe it's "Americas" then?

You can probably change between stores inside your region (Brazilian has the prices in it's local currencym for instance). Is there a Canadian Store?

Are there different European stores with different currencies (Euro/Pounds)? Can European 3DSes change countries just by selecting the region?

joe1138

Or GBA. There's a working GBA emulator - Ambassador GBA games exist and work.

Nintendo being Nintendo, I guess....

Didn't some complain about the colors not being accurate on the Ambassador GBA games? Could that be related to the slow (read: non-existant) roll out of GBA games in the VC? Could the Wii U VC be a test run for a proper emulator on the 3DS?

Personally, I felt they all looked and played fine having never owned any of them on the GBA originally.

Here's a question: why didn't Nintendo extend the same "upgrade" plan they have in place for Wii U VC games on the 3DS as well?

Vibranium

Banned
If we don't get a steady output of GBA Virtual Console games for the 3DS for non-ambassador players by next year I'm going to be really pissed, hopefully them being on the Wii U is just a test run to attract people to the console or something. Why the hell don't NIntendo like money...

RM8

Is there any sound theory about why VC releases are as slow as they are?

I understand the "putting everything at once would make people ignore a lot of games" idea, and I completely agree! I might have not bought Avenging Spirit if we had access to the entire Game Boy catalogue. But it's not like they're giving us even one steady game every week! The Game Boy games suddenly stopped with no signs of coming back. And as much as I love having all the classic Mega Man games on my 3DS... the truth is we can buy NES games on Wii or WiiU, while Game Boy games are strictly a 3DS thing :(

Come on, Nintendo. Let me give you money.

Yes, GBA ambassadors games do work, but not as good as the GBC or NES ones. They have much less bright, and don't pause when you press the home button. There is definitely room for improvement there. I'm not saying that is not possible, just that Nintendo may have more issues than with the other consoles.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes, GBA ambassadors games do work, but not as good as the GBC or NES ones. They have much less bright, and don't pause when you press the home button. There is definitely room for improvement there. I'm not saying that is not possible, just that Nintendo may have more issues than with the other consoles.

That's interesting: most early GBA games have washed out hella bright colors, because the original GBA screen wasn't lighted at all - neither front or back.

I wonder if they're somehow trying to make up for that?

Maximus.

I wonder when warioland 3 will come to NA. I am still disappointed with the lack of quality titles, as its been years and there's still barely any games. I have a lingering and doubtful hope that the OG Pokemon games be ported but I know it's unrealistic.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder if we have to start over again with the next Nintendo handheld.

Of course. VC is not a service. That's Patrick Klepek main issue with the it: If you buy it on one console, you can't use the same game on other consoles, even though they're also available there: Wii, Wii U or 3DS.

And he's right. It's the same game and the same company is putting it out on all of their consoles, why shouldn't it be available everywhere?

Also, remember: There's no Account System in the Nintendo Eco-system. You're screwed even if you exchange change consoles - any of them.

Drago

Thinking about it, you probably should have reserved a second post in the thread just so you can list the JP only games, serplux. :p

serplux

I think it would be useful to separate the games only released in North America and the games only released in Europe.

Hmm...that's only like 6 or so games though. I don't know how useful that would be, really, since Europe and N. America have been getting the same games mostly.

Thinking about it, you probably should have reserved a second post in the thread just so you can list the JP only games, serplux. :p

I know. :( There are so many of 'em...

GAF, I'm 10 points away from getting platinum for Club Nintendo.

Recommend me a game that will get me platinum. Do they all get CN coins?

Top Bottom