• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 minutes of No Man's Sky gameplay (w/ RAW AUDIO)

Has there been any pictures or videos of planets where its dark or raining?, at the moment all the pictures and videos i have seen look all very cutesy, with bold bright colours...its like your high on LSD all the time. I would like to see more atmospheric planets something like the planet LV-426 from Alien, where its dark, windy and raining!
We've seen misty and rainy

B9NBpS6.gif

Here is a screenshot with rain.

14965393486_d5ec34c4ce_b.jpg

One of the more bleak looking environments.

infinite.universe.1x520.jpg

And night time. Still pretty colorful though.

tumblr_o3jjxhMyeN1v02tdyo1_500.jpg

Man this game is beautiful. I am going to take a ludicrous amount of screens. Which kind of bums me out that you cant switch off the HUD. I dont like HUDs in my screens.

Pizza

I agree with your skepticism, but for me what I've seen/know/think I know is enough to gamble on the pre-order.

If you read backwards in the thread, you will see the following example responses to others who voiced similar concerns and want to see more:
~ It would spoil the mechanics/story/discovery
~ Either trust the devs or don't
~ If you don't like what you've been shown or are still unsure with the information we currently have, the game probably isn't for you.

Everything I've read/seen/heard about the game sounds amazing, all it would take would be like ten minutes on a planet with a ship to mess around with and a couple things to mine. Just a super light spoiler-free demo so I knew how it felt in my hands.

Like, if the game physically felt good to play, I'd be SO in. I think I may take the gamble, if the game turns out to be as good as it seems I'll really regret not getting the silly ship statue I like so much.

If it's bad I'll make sure the statue sits right next to noble team on my shame shelf

OmegaDL50

Yeah we know there is Night time however it's not the atypical day night cycle like other games have.

The planet surface is either light or dark entirely depending on the current rotation of the planet you're on.

So night time when you aren't facing the sun, and day time when you are facing the sun.

Actually this brings up an interesting question.

Especially for planets with Binary Star systems.

What if because of having two suns the planet is always day time because the two Suns are shown on both sides of the planet.

Does this mean some planets could be in a perpetual day time?

Also could someone find that picture of the Night time planet with those weird purple bubble flower things. I might use it as a wallpaper. So it if would be excellent if someone could link that, thanks.

Aces&Eights

Sounds really good. Looking forward to the game. Been a dream of mine to have a game like this for years.

On a side note, I'd like to nominate Bish for the OT thread mod/enforcer.

Everything I've read/seen/heard about the game sounds amazing, all it would take would be like ten minutes on a planet with a ship to mess around with and a couple things to mine. Just a super light spoiler-free demo so I knew how it felt in my hands.

Like, if the game physically felt good to play, I'd be SO in. I think I may take the gamble, if the game turns out to be as good as it seems I'll really regret not getting the silly ship statue I like so much.

If it's bad I'll make sure the statue sits right next to noble team on my shame shelf
Thats a gamble you take with any game really unless its an established franchise or you look at a devs previous work. And by looking at what the folks at Hello Games have worked on in the past, I think its safe to assume the game will not control horribly.

1) Comparing this game and Spore because they both use procedural generation is like comparing Braid and Life Is Strange because they both feature time rewinding. Two completely different genres, two completely different goals and gameplay, and NMS's generation tech is far more complex and advanced than anything in Spore

Yeah, NMS creature generation is more advanced, but I'd actually say NMS is also much more pragmatic than Spore, since NMS uses hundreds of preset models to procedurally vary, instead of Spore's "anything goes" generation. One thing I read in the Official PS UK article is that they even procedurally vary the skeletal animation.

Ok, I was late with the rain, but here is another video that features a few seconds of night time gameplay (1:03)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UVQ14JrfRI

The one thing bothering me in this video is the way the Sentinel falls. There's no gravity or heft to it, and it doesn't really fall like you'd expect a mechanical robot to. In fact, it pretty much falls the same way as the goat that attacked Sean in the IGN hands-on (which also looked bad). I hope this is a placeholder death animation and they have something more convincing cooked up.

The nighttime footage looks great though.

FireCloud

I would love to see something like a subterranean city due to conditions on the surface being too harsh. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see any cities. So far we've only seen a building here and there.

Full disclosure: I never watched any of the movies, but planning on it!

Do yourself a favor and don't!
just kidding...have at it. They are stupid fun.

Sounds really good. Looking forward to the game. Been a dream of mine to have a game like this for years.

On a side note, I'd like to nominate Bish for the OT thread mod/enforcer.

Yeah the thing about that is, who knows what many of the mods think about NMS anyway. I never see most of them pay any mind to it, and I remember Evilore even stopped in a thread to drop a peter molyneux bomb before.

Also could someone find that picture of the Night time planet with those weird purple bubble flower things. I might use it as a wallpaper. So it if would be excellent if someone could link that, thanks.

I actually think it's an eclipse instead of night. I posted this on the last page
Nomansskylimits610.jpg

RiverKwai

What if because of having two suns the planet is always day time because the two Suns are shown on both sides of the planet.

I think that'll be possible. Also, rogue planets without suns to orbit should be perpetually dark.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah we know there is Night time however it's not the atypical day night cycle like other games have.

The planet surface is either light or dark entirely depending on the current rotation of the planet you're on.

So night time when you aren't facing the sun, and day time when you are facing the sun.

NightDrone.png

Might be concept, not sure.

This one is really cool, and we haven't seen much of this type of terrain:
I can't wait to see just how varied the planets can be, I mean we've only seen small glimpses of things like floating islands, I can only imagine what will await us closer to the center, and then even beyond the center...

I remember reading that those blocks were placeholders.
In the most recent videos, the blocks only show up for a second or two when a resource is detected, and then go away. Wonder if it was just temporary graphics and if they'll have a different look in the final game.

Yes, so on point when every RPG has character creation and every RPG has a strong/strict narrative. It just sounds like you guys are defining role playing games based on a slice of RPGs that is more narrow than it is in reality. Because in reality, games like Dark Souls (a game that doesn't have a strict narrative) and Kingdom Hearts (a game without character creation) are almost unanimously considered RPGs by the masses at large. You guys are saying these are elements that need to be in a game to make it an RPG, but that simply doesn't hold true outside of your bubble.

I didn't mean to say "no character creation" alone, I meant to say "no character creation or established character". Every game I'd call an RPG has one or the other (or in some cases, both).

And again, I wouldn't call Dark Souls an RPG, though it's certainly closer to what I'd consider one than No Man's Sky is, to a significant degree.

RedSwirl

I'm inclined to think not quite. Something tells me binary systems in NMS might somewhat resemble what they're like in the real universe (or at least what Space Engine and Elite Dangerous have guessed they're like). You tend to generally get two kinds -- pairs of stars that closely orbit each other with planets orbiting both of them, or stars that each have their own systems of planets orbiting each other relatively closely.

In the first kind of binary system, at least in Space Engine and Elite, it's basically like Tatooine where you still get night time, but daytime has two suns. The problem is that in the models of those two games (which I imagine are guesses based on what we know about real binary systems), planets orbiting binary stars usually orbit from REALLY far away, like so far the temperature is almost 0K and light basically doesn't reach the surface at all. Usually it's like one or two planets in this case. I imagine NMS isn't gonna stick to that rule and is just gonna have hot planets that closely orbit binary stars to get the Tatooine landscape look.

In the other kind of binary system, planets will just orbit one of the stars. The other one will be so far away that it'll just look like a really big dot in the night sky. Very little light will come from the star of the opposite system in the pair, but in Space Engine I've seen situations where planets will still get a bit of light from that other star. The result is three different phases: daytime, kinda-sorta night time where you're only getting light from the distant sun, and full nighttime which only covers like a quarter of the surface. I'm not really sure what Hello Games would decide to do here since I don't know whether or not they think this would impede on what they consider "fun."

What's really hard to think about though are systems with three, four, five, or six stars. They exist, and get really complicated. Again, I'm just basing this off Elite and Space Engine, but you can get system where two stars orbit each other, orbited by systems of planets, orbited by other star-planet systems, orbited by other star-planet systems. I might try to find a picture in Space Engine. I can get... yeah.

I didn't mean to say "no character creation" alone, I meant to say "no character creation or established character". Every game I'd call an RPG has one or the other (or in some cases, both).

And again, I wouldn't call Dark Souls an RPG, though it's certainly closer to what I'd consider one than No Man's Sky is, to a significant degree.

But that's why I say it's more of an open ended RPG, because the role of your character is something you set yourself rather than something that the narrative strictly sets for you. There are tons of non RPGs that have an established character. I mean really, CODs, Portal, you name it, has an established character, and those clearly aren't considered RPGs. Whether you like it or not, Dark Souls is by large considered an RPG.

You know, I think the gameplay loop is very important in defining an RPG, because obviously from the examples being given, the narrative/character style varies greatly within the RPG genre, and just because a game has an established character doesn't mean a game is an RPG. I never called NMS a straight up RPG, but saying it resembles nothing of an RPG is a bit ridiculous. It has the standard RPG gameplay loop of grinding resources, allocating them into a skill tree, using your upgraded character be able to fare against stronger dangers, repeat. RPGs typically have that gameplay loop, making it RPG like in that sense. You play a "role" in RPGs (along with many other kind of games), and you can play a "role" in NMS. The only difference there is you're choosing which role you want to play rather than having a strict narrative tell you what you're doing, which again, just makes it open ended rather than something that's defined by cutscenes or something, but it's still playing a role nonetheless.

Tigress

But that's why I say it's more of an open ended RPG, because the role of your character is something you set yourself rather than something that the narrative strictly sets for you. There are tons of non RPGs that have an established character. I mean really, CODs, Portal, you name it, has an established character, and those clearly aren't considered RPGs. Whether you like it or not, Dark Souls is by large considered an RPG.

You know, I think the gameplay loop is very important in defining an RPG, because obviously from the examples being given, the narrative/character style varies greatly within the RPG genre, and just because a game has an established character doesn't mean a game is an RPG. I never called NMS a straight up RPG, but saying it resembles nothing of an RPG is a bit ridiculous. It has the standard RPG gameplay loop of grinding resources, allocating them into a skill tree, using your upgraded character be able to fare against stronger dangers, repeat. RPGs typically have that gameplay loop, making it RPG like in that sense. You play a "role" in RPGs (along with many other kind of games), and you can play a "role" in NMS. The only difference there is you're choosing which role you want to play rather than having a strict narrative tell you what you're doing, which again, just makes it open ended rather than something that's defined by cutscenes or something, but it's still playing a role nonetheless.

Open narrative RPGs are my favorite honestly. One of the big things I love about Fallout New Vegas is they don't define your character for you. You are pretty much given almost a blank slate to work with to make however you want. Sure, if you do one of hte DLCs they give a backstory, but they do it in such a way you are still free to play whoever you want cause the event that you start your character after pretty much makes him/her a blank slate.

And yet it still has good story. Basically they let the story be what is happening around you. Your story you are free to make up in how your character responds to the world around him/her. So are the people arguing you have to have a character story going to argue that New Vegas isn't an RPG. Cause sorry, you are very wrong. New Vegas is more RPG than Bethesda's take on Fallout (maybe less so than the original Fallouts who in many ways are more open than New Vegas though they do define the character more than New Vegas does). And most people agree Bethesda makes RPGs. The ones who don't usually are upset that Bethesda gives you less choice in how you play your character than the original Fallouts. So, seems choice in how you play your character is more important than a defined character in an RPG.

And I'm kinda excited that NMS does the same thing really.

E92 M3

I think that's just what you see when you scan for resources
GlamorousDetailedGermanwirehairedpointer.gif

Indeed, but the terrain structure is something they don't show often. We get a lot of planes and water. I like this mountainous area.

I can't wait to see just how varied the planets can be, I mean we've only seen small glimpses of things like floating islands, I can only imagine what will await us closer to the center, and then even beyond the center...

In the most recent videos, the blocks only show up for a second or two when a resource is detected, and then go away. Wonder if it was just temporary graphics and if they'll have a different look in the final game.

Same here; I still get fascinated by Minecraft structures lol

SomTervo

Open narrative RPGs are my favorite honestly. One of the big things I love about Fallout New Vegas is they don't define your character for you. You are pretty much given almost a blank slate to work with to make however you want. Sure, if you do one of hte DLCs they give a backstory, but they do it in such a way you are still free to play whoever you want cause the event that you start your character after pretty much makes him/her a blank slate.

And yet it still has good story. Basically they let the story be what is happening around you. Your story you are free to make up in how your character responds to the world around him/her. So are the people arguing you have to have a character story going to argue that New Vegas isn't an RPG. Cause sorry, you are very wrong. New Vegas is more RPG than Bethesda's take on Fallout (maybe less so than the original Fallouts who in many ways are more open than New Vegas though they do define the character more than New Vegas does). And most people agree Bethesda makes RPGs. The ones who don't usually are upset that Bethesda gives you less choice in how you play your character than the original Fallouts. So, seems choice in how you play your character is more important than a defined character in an RPG.

And I'm kinda excited that NMS does the same thing really.

Not to derail - but have you been reading this shit about Cyberpunk 2077? It sounds literally like a world-sized, super-deep approach to what you really liked about New Vegas. Sounds insane.

bitbydeath

Im wondering if they chose to lock the framerate to 30fps? (Console)

They need at least 60fps for VR though, will be interesting to see how they achieve that.

Presuming their will be VR, which seems very likely at this point given recent comments made by Sean.

Tigress

Not to derail - but have you been reading this shit about Cyberpunk 2077? It sounds literally like a world-sized, super-deep approach to what you really liked about New Vegas. Sounds insane.

I don't know much about it except it has a cyberpunk like setting and it's made by CDPR. If it's less on rails than Witcher I'm very interested (I liked Witcher but I prefer RPGs more like New Vegas that give me the setting/world story and let me roleplay my own character and make her own story within it. It's a big reason why I prefer Bethesda's RPGs over Witcher despite Bethesda's weaknesses. If you can't tell New Vegas is probably my ideal live action RPG with a good mix of everything I want in an RPG but first person live action gameplay which I think I do like over turn based though I like turn based too. ANd yes, I realize New Vegas is Obsidian. I am really hoping Bethesda lets Obsidian do another Fallout).

OmegaDL50

So apparently there is some level of persistency involved online with if something is destroyed it's gone for everyone.

So uhh, so what's preventing jerkass players from blowing up your favorite Space Station just to grief you or whatever.

So apparently there is some level of persistency involved online with if something is destroyed it's gone for everyone.

So uhh, so what's preventing jerkass players from blowing up your favorite Space Station just to grief you or whatever.
Nothing but as sean said, destroying one is incredibly hard still..I'll get enjoyment out of coming back to a solar system only to see the space station gone lol

There are probably a billion space stations and they're apparently very hard to take down.

Also, the scale of this game is enormous. Even if a million players were all working to grief the player base you'd barely feel it.

Top Bottom