• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 million PS4 shipped; PSN generates more revenue than all of Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, Sony is on a roll. Also, lol Nintendo. After the announcement of Zelda being delayed to 2017 and no NX at E3 to be stomped like this in the sales department is doing wonders for their image right now.

They have become almost irrelevant to an industry they saved. :(

They could very well be toy dealers now with Amiibo.

I don't know if it's fair to make that assessment yet, as the console has yet to reach casual or impulse buy level pricing. The PS2 for example was slashed to $199 after just a year and half. Granted the Wii had a level of casual support fueled by the motion controls and interest frenzy, but I still think it's price was a big factor.

I mean, based on what the rumors are re:pS4Neo and Xbox 1.5, isn't it a possibility that Sony/MS don't plan for it to ever get to that impulse buy level pricing, because maybe that market no longer exists the way it used to? We saw last gen that adding games/hard drives in order to try and maintain value sort of replaced the old $99 price point.

Occam

Which is why the timing would have been better to do it when people give less of a shit about physical goods. We are probably 3-5 years away from home consoles without any sort of disc drive or physical media.

We are not. Physical distribution will continue to exist because global broadband infrastructure isn't ready and because people continue to enjoy owning property.
You can have digital distribution without removing physical property rights, like Microsoft tried. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

There is no right timimg to remove our rights.

Sayad

This big PSN number is surely due, to a decent degree, to PSN+ subs! Cutting that might cut this revenue in half. (Let's say 40m subs (a guess) X $50 = $2bn out of ~$5bn total?)
I doubt 100% of PS4 owners have PS+, and I'm not saying they should drop it completely, just not force it for online play, so they won't be losing 100% of the subscription revenue. But yea, I realize how much money it's making for them which make this more of a wishful thinking than something they'd actually consider.

We are not. Physical distribution will continue to exist because global broadband infrastructure isn't ready and because people continue to enjoy owning property.
You can have digital distribution without removing physical property rights, like Microsoft tried. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

It isn't now, I'm not disagreeing. And it's years from even possibly being that way. Which is why I said MS' timing was bad, but it would not surprise me if we are seeing an all digital future for games in the near future.

LMAO, Sony fans argued about that for well over 10 years, it's not going to happen especially with Sony now charging for online multiplayer.

There's too much money on the taple and it costs alot of money to run the service.

Also look at how much the service has improved since Sony realised they could make huge profits if they charged for it. Amazing what a little (or a lot) of incentive does.

* Sony Corporation net income : 147 billion yen (target was 140 billion yen)
* PS4 annual shipment : 17,7 million (target was 16 million)
* Game & Network Services operating income : 88,7 billion yen. No other segment did better for the year, except the Financial Services, but that's something else.

FZZ

Banned
psn59uif.png

HAHAHAHAHAHA

but nah fam Nintendo got a master plan

NX will be sick

nib95

Banned
I mean, based on what the rumors are re:pS4Neo and Xbox 1.5, isn't it a possibility that Sony/MS don't plan for it to ever get to that impulse buy level pricing, because maybe that market no longer exists the way it used to? We saw last gen that adding games/hard drives in order to try and maintain value sort of replaced the old $99 price point.

If the PS4K comes out with the PS4 still existing, the PS4 could absolutely get to that impulse level of pricing. I think Sony will actually re align it so the PS4 becomes the budget option whilst the PS4K remains the still profitable premium option to keep the core crowd spending.

Considering the constant threats of "mobile gaming is coming to kill consoles" that's been going on this gen, I would say it's been very impressive.

Sure, but the fact that we have to say it's impressive "considering" shows that it will indeed be down, which is the argument. That there is a reason for it being down doesn't change the fact that it will be down, and that reason will still apply for future console gens.

Both the Wii and the PS2 generations were somewhat inflated by a casual consumer base that is not coming back.

Same as above. There are reasons, but those will still apply in the future, so, depending on where the person's argument was on a scale from doom to neutral, the person wasn't necessarily wrong and it's not an argument that should be ridiculed, even if Sony is having a good generation. The market is more than just PS4.

Sony should really rethink forced subscription for online play, PSN is obviously big enough to generate profit without it now and as much as it increase their profit, it's also driving some users away on the long run, the same goes for MS.

Why? It is guaranteed money.

They would be stupid to get rid of it

Occam

It isn't now, I'm not disagreeing. And it's years from even possibly being that way. Which is why I said MS' timing was bad, but it would not surprise me if we are seeing an all digital future for games in the near future.

It's not a matter of timing. There is no right timing to destroy the concept of private ownership of physical goods.
It's fundamentally wrong. Whenever, wherever.

I don't know if it's fair to make that assessment yet, as the console has yet to reach casual or impulse buy level pricing. The PS2 for example was slashed to $199 after just a year and half. Granted the Wii had a level of casual support fueled by the motion controls and interest frenzy, but I still think it's price was a big factor.

Yeah it's kind of crazy that is has got to that number at this price .
Both PS2 and Wii were cheaper at this point in time in there life.

Eh, they only saved the American game industry.

Their expensive cartridges and terrible third party relations actually did a hell of a lot of harm to the creative output of the thriving UK/European game industry that existed while the NA market collapsed.

The massive difference in sales and profits just speaks volumes about how incredibly out of touch and moronically foolish Nintendo have been for years now, arguably decades.

Um Nintendo saved jack shit.

Video game consoles were doing fine in Europe and Asia, and even in America video games had simply moved onto home computers which exploded in popularity during the early 80s.

Joni

Considering that last year PS4 was $399 and now is $349, the result for this particular quarter was kinda disappointing.

Didn't they ship quite a lot last quarter? Channel might simply be stuffed or delivery might have been hastened so they have less stuff to ship.

Spinluck

Sony should really rethink forced subscription for online play, PSN is obviously big enough to generate profit without it now and as much as it increase their profit, it's also driving some users away on the long run, the same goes for MS.

This is not how you make money.

It's not a matter of timing. There is no right timing to destroy the concept of private ownership of physical goods.
It's fundamentally wrong. Whenever, wherever.

They won't destroy the concept of private ownership of physical goods, there will just be less and less physical goods.

noobie

Banned
Sony has not given next year forecast for PS4 hardware/software.
Why less information when they are doing gangbuster?

Amazing how PSN is such a money spinner at a figure above Nintendo as a whole.
Digital is really growing massively. I read somewhere in this thread one guy in EU must've bought a game to reach those numbers *chortles*

OK guys and gals, let's keep this train running by supporting PSVR just as feverishly. I really want VR to hit mainstream and Sony is the best suited to do it with this level of hardware success.

Well I for one won't be jumping in on VR day 1 because Neo is around the corner and will likely perform better with VR games.

No point in getting into new tech and immediately experiencing the inferior version so I'll wait a while into 2017.

Rymuth

I doubt 100% of PS4 owners have PS+, and I'm not saying they should drop it completely, just not force it for online play, so they won't be losing 100% of the subscription revenue. But yea, I realize how much money it's making for them which make this more of a wishful thinking than something they'd actually consider.
That would be completely insane.

And there are some games (f2p mostly) that don't require PS+ to play.

AzaK

Awesome. So that's about 15 million a year right? So by the time NX comes it'll be another 7-8 million + PS NEO boost. Good luck Nintendo! LOL.

Wow that ultimate disrespect.
As in reading the market and selling what the consumer wants to buy.

I really hope this is a warning call to Nintendo to get things in gear. That's probably why they're holding out to get all their ducks lined up.

Really goes to show the power of digital eh.

I've been buying a lot more digital on the PS4 than I expected to. They have some very good deals this gen

I don't think timing was necessarily the issue, it was more of MS trying to force it down people's throats instead of offering incentives and gradually guiding consumers towards digital

Occam

They won't destroy the concept of private ownership of physical goods, there will just be less and less physical goods.

But that's precisely what Microsoft originally intended to do with Xbone, and which is why the introduction was such a spectacular blunder costing them most of the positive momentum gained during the previous generation, even after eventually reversing their plans.

But that's precisely what Microsoft originally intended to do with Xbone, and which is why the introduction was such a spectacular blunder costing them most of the positive momentum gained during the previous generation, even after eventually reversing their plans.

Which is why I was admitting they went about it the wrong way from every angle. Everything about what MS did when they first announced the Xbox One was a misstep.

madmackem

Dat psn monies, and people expect Nintendo to continue to offer free online up to snuff with psn and xbl with nx and still be free hahahaha. Sony shifting numbers, ps4 has been such a beast for them at the time the whole company really needed it to be.

Gurish

Holy shit, I was expecting to hear about this number toward the end of the year, this is PS2 gen domination stuff, amazing.

NX is entering a war that is already over, all Nintendo can hope for is some left overs.

hesido

I would have it if weren't for the PS4K. But no way I'm buying both. For premium priced experiences I'd rather just go the full way and get Vive.

I think I might be buying the PSVR to play on my PSPoor. It's probably the last console related hardware I'll buy. But even the existence of PS4K makes the decision harder, because no way in hell I can affor both.

nib95

Banned
Dat psn monies, and people expect Nintendo to continue to offer free online up to snuff with psn and xbl with nx and still be free hahahaha. Sony shifting numbers, ps4 has been such a beast for them at the time the whole company really needed it to be.

When you put it like that, the days of multiconslole ownership are looking numbered for me. Two consoles with subscription fees I can just about stomach, but that plus iterative mid cycle upgrades? Forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom