• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 million PS4 shipped; PSN generates more revenue than all of Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 and XBO appear to be pretty front-loaded. Their start was impressive, but everything after that hasn't been particularly impressive. The PS4 is no PS2 and it will only match or beat the Wii by having a longer life.

If you're not first you're last? If it is unimpressive, so too is ever other game console in the history of the world save for PS4 and Wii. Kind of a narrow definition of success...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah it's skyrocketing. A major major shift for the industry.

They figured out people forgot about the promise of cutting out the middle man and reducing costs that would be passed down to them and they could keep charging them as much or more than retool does for the convenience... :/.

JordanN

Banned
The PS4 and XBO appear to be pretty front-loaded. Their start was impressive, but everything after that hasn't been particularly impressive. The PS4 is no PS2 and it will only match or beat the Wii by having a longer life.

Considering the constant threats of "mobile gaming is coming to kill consoles" that's been going on this gen, I would say it's been very impressive.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
giphy.gif

Please tell me this is false...

It is. He is thinking that Network in the Game&Network division is PSN. It's not, it is all their network services like video, music, VUE, ... and then PSN.

Nestunt

This makes them launching a different console even more curious. Specially when they have to cater to the people that are going to spend a bit of money on VR more or less at the same time

Somewhat hilarious reading this post right below that graph. Ps4 still tracking ahead of Ps2...

I said the start was impressive and not necessarily the rest. Look at the trajectory. It's like when people argued the 3DS was doing gangbusters because it was outselling the DS, which was true for a while but the trajectory clearly showed it was gonna come to an end soon after.

Um, I think you're out of touch with what's what, here. Never mind that it, in no way, disproves the post you quoted.

I think it does. Even if you take out the Wii U, the PS4/XBO combo will be down from previous gens. Obviously the PS4 gets the best deal out of the three in this scenario, but as the market leader by far this gen, it should pull better numbers. As has been mentioned before in this thread, the last quarter was the worst yet for the PS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
This time Sony did not offer predictions for next FY in many of their segments. They cited unknown impacts of recent Japan earthquake.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I said the start was impressive and not necessarily the rest. Look at the trajectory. It's like when people argued the 3DS was doing gangbusters because it was outselling the DS, which was true for a while but the trajectory clearly showed it was gonna come to an end soon after.

I think it does. Even if you take out the Wii U, the PS4/XBO combo will be down from previous gens. Obviously the PS4 gets the best deal out of the three in this scenario, but as the market leader by far this gen, it should pull better numbers. As has been mentioned before in this thread, the last quarter was the worst yet for the PS4.

"The worst quarter" by a very small percentage. And we don't know why that may be. For all you know, they could have over-shipped in the holidays, a bit. Context is key. It's still tracking ahead of the highest selling console known to man. That, alone, is impressive.

Both the Wii and the PS2 generations were somewhat inflated by a casual consumer base that is not coming back.

Half of PS3's lifetime sales in two and a half years. Console industry is dead. Pack it up, boys.

8Tg8wBd.png

You seem to forget for how much PS3 released and how long it took for it to be at PS4's price. The PS4 sales being healthy doesn't mean the industry is as a whole. And it seems that both Sony and Microsoft might share this opinion if PS4 Neo and Xbox Two are real.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony should really rethink forced subscription for online play, PSN is obviously big enough to generate profit without it now and as much as it increase their profit, it's also driving some users away on the long run, the same goes for MS.

This big PSN number is surely due, to a decent degree, to PSN+ subs! Cutting that might cut this revenue in half. (Let's say 40m subs (a guess) X $50 = $2bn out of ~$5bn total?)

Jigorath

Banned

The 3DS collapsed much faster and harder than the PS4.

It's not a good comparison tool.

Vena

"The worst quarter" by a very small percentage. And we don't know why that may be. For all you know, they could have over-shipped in the holidays, a bit. Context is key. It's still tracking ahead of the highest selling console known to man. That, alone, is impressive.

The PS2 had very staggered releases, these comparisons are very misleading.

Also, the PS4 quarter comparison may be small in raw numbers, but the price has dropped by 50$USD between the two quarters, so numbers are lower with a lower price.

The ps4 also just came off a holiday being $299. So maybe you're seeing the effect of the price increase back to $349.

Very possible but this seems to be in markets we're not tracking with the same precision as the US/Japan markets which are, for the most part, flat or even up YoY. So somewhere has fallen to offset this. And the US isn't experiencing a huge drop off post the holidays YoY just yet, so I don't know how valid this hypothesis is...

If you're not first you're last? If it is unimpressive, so too is ever other game console in the history of the world save for PS4 and Wii. Kind of a narrow definition of success...

It's not about the PS4 alone, the argument is about the home console market as a whole this gen, or even just the core market (Sony and MS). People act like this gen is amazing because the start of it was, but by the end of the gen you will see that, on the whole, it was down.

NateDrake

Also, the PS4 quarter comparison may be small in raw numbers, but the price has dropped by 50$USD between the two quarters, so numbers are lower with a lower price.

True. More than 6 months alone in Japan before launching in other regions, and then introduction to other areas at a later time. PS4 launched in more areas and saw more immediate sales while PS2 was a long burner in some regions. PS2 sold more than the PS3 for a couple of years following the latter's launch.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Very possible.

Don't know what to tell you, or him. I just don't see how any of this disproves the original poster and I definitely don't see anything unimpressive about the PS4's current sales (despite the PS2 comparisons - no matter which benefits from them).

There will never be a right time to take away ownership of physical goods. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Which is why the timing would have been better to do it when people give less of a shit about physical goods. We are probably 3-5 years away from home consoles without any sort of disc drive or physical media.

Vena

Don't know what to tell you, or him. I just don't see how any of this disproves the original poster and I definitely don't see anything unimpressive about the PS4's current sales (despite the PS2 comparisons - no matter which benefits from them).

I am simply pointing out a reality of the data being compared.

The trajectories are quite telling what will happen in the coming months as the PS2 catches up with the world vs. the PS4's much more simultaneous, worldwide release and ramp-up. But this isn't unexpected, the PS2 (like the Wii) tapped different markets.

nib95

Banned
Both the Wii and the PS2 generations were somewhat inflated by a casual consumer base that is not coming back.

I don't know if it's fair to make that assessment yet, as the console has yet to reach casual or impulse buy level pricing. The PS2 for example was slashed to $199 after just a year and half. Granted the Wii had a level of casual support fueled by the motion controls and interest frenzy, but I still think it's price was a big factor.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
$800m in operating income for SCE/SIE for the year - is that getting up towards prime PS1/PS2 years in terms of income? I remember they brought in high hundred millions and ~1bn for a few years back then, but can't remember if those were operating or net income numbers.

allan-bh

This was the 10th quarter with PS4 shipments, so let's make a comparison with the same periods:

Wii- 50.4m
PS4- 40.0m
PS2- 33.27m*
PS3- 22.7m
360- 19.0m

*This refers to shipments from factory, not sales for retailers.

Cynn

OK guys and gals, let's keep this train running by supporting PSVR just as feverishly. I really want VR to hit mainstream and Sony is the best suited to do it with this level of hardware success.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I am simply pointing out a reality of the data being compared.

The trajectories are quite telling what will happen in the coming months as the PS2 catches up with the world vs. the PS4's much more simultaneous, worldwide release and ramp-up. But this isn't unexpected, the PS2 (like the Wii) tapped different markets.

For me, there's a much simpler "look" at reality - the PS4 is doing what most consoles have not (and may never do). How one chooses to interpret/spin/skew the data is really irrelevant, at this point.

You seem to forget for how much PS3 released and how long it took for it to be at PS4's price. The PS4 sales being healthy doesn't mean the industry is as a whole. And it seems that both Sony and Microsoft might share this opinion if PS4 Neo and Xbox Two are real.

Just wanted to take a jab at that article. :p

But yeah, the industry is definitely in decline. While PS4 is doing rather well, Xbox One quite possibly hasn't even hit the 20 million mark, and while the Wii sold like hot cakes, the Wii U is a total dud. I'm glad these companies are trying to shake up the formula with more frequent hardware updates, and an iterative model for game consoles. It's likely gonna remedy some issues that come with the traditional console model.

nib95

Banned
OK guys and gals, let's keep this train running by supporting PSVR just as feverishly. I really want VR to hit mainstream and Sony is the best suited to do it with this level of hardware success.

I would have it if weren't for the PS4K. But no way I'm buying both. For premium priced experiences I'd rather just go the full way and get Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom