• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 million PS4 shipped; PSN generates more revenue than all of Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesemonni

Banned
For context, compared to other systems

lm2UiWf.jpg
Why no Xbone in the graph? :/

madmackem

When you put it like that, the days of multiconslole ownership are looking numbered for me. Two consoles with subscription fees I can just about stomach, but that plus iterative mid cycle upgrades? Forget about it.
Nintendo must look at the revenue Sony and ms pull in on these subs and want a piece surely?. Plus costs or running a good system upto modern standards would cost so I just can't see Nintendo offering free online play with nx unless it's going to be limited ala wii u and 3ds.

Kayant

It is. He is thinking that Network in the Game&Network division is PSN. It's not, it is all their network services like video, music, VUE, ... and then PSN.

Well it is 😜

Still impressive though because majority of the revenue will likely have come from actual "PSN" related services like Plus and the Store. Their decision to bundle their network services under Playstation seems to be doing well so far.

nib95

Banned
Nintendo must look at the revenue Sony and ms pull in on these subs and want a piece surely?. Plus costs or running a good system upto modern standards would cost so I just can't see Nintendo offering free online play with nx unless it's going to be limited ala wii u and 3ds.

Oh no I agree wholeheartedly. I would absolutely understand from a business sense if they followed through, it's just it would likely number my days as a multi console buyer as I simply couldn't justify the costs of owning all the consoles any more.

AniHawk

interesting that Network includes: game,video and music .

good for Sony!

i wonder how much of that increase is due to ps+ subscriptions.

also interested in how important flash sales and similar promotions have become for them.

Bioshocker

After so many years of losses it's good to see Sony making money again. They've turned things around and it's partly thanks to the power of PS4.

Congrats

mark_79

Banned
Impressive for a console that doesn't (yet) have a really AAA rated exclusive blockbuster title/franchise (though UC4 may redress that).

Impressive for a console that doesn't (yet) have a really AAA rated exclusive blockbuster title/franchise (though UC4 may redress that).

AAA rated in what sense? Bloodborne reached it in critical terms, but if you're talking commercially then yeah I feel ya

reKon

Banned
I'm actually more interested in what they are going to try to do with the mobile division. Wish they were still keeping their Z line.

John Wick

Sony should really rethink forced subscription for online play, PSN is obviously big enough to generate profit without it now and as much as it increase their profit, it's also driving some users away on the long run, the same goes for MS.

Yes your right. Maybe you could pay for the servers, running costs and maintenance?

Not saying this to be sarcastic, but it's quite likely that the profit per dollar revenue from Nintendo's digital revenue is higher than PSN, given that a bulk of their revenues are probably first party, whereas a bulk of PSN revenue are through selling third party content with lower margins than their own products.

It doesn't change that Sony is killing it, but the scale of it doesn't mean the PSN revenue is more profitable.

Fat4all

Banned
Technically, while he alerted people to it, the source of the data is Sony's financial report, which is public knowledge and would have been posted about by someone anyway.

But still, Z is picture capped and listed as a source in a lot of sales threads. If mods had a problem with it I'm sure we would of been told by now.

If he becomes unreliable then I could see it happening.

Felessan

They need to fix it, but exiting mobile isn't a super smart decision given the direction of consumer electronics (i.e. we're not moving back to stationary devices). Didn't Sony just open a new mobile gaming company, ForwardWorks?
Mobile software is much more lucrative than mobile hardware. As latter reaching saturation point and there is a lot of competition from Korea/China manufacturers.

If the PS4K comes out with the PS4 still existing, the PS4 could absolutely get to that impulse level of pricing. I think Sony will actually re align it so the PS4 becomes the budget option whilst the PS4K remains the still profitable premium option to keep the core crowd spending.
I think both will be aligned as PS4 needs shrink for further reducing in cost, and PS4K is just depends on 14nm technology to exist. If both will get 14nm - PS4 will got room to drop price, moving it out of the way of PS4K.

Roufianos

Yay! The best thing is that they're clearly investing all of this money back into the network.

Just look at the consistently amazing PS+ lineups and the revolutionary 30 second load time for my friends list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom