• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan: Alleged former 343 employee shares studio details on Halo reception & develop.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Some interesting stuff. Probably all fake though. The guy says Halo 5 gets 10-15k players a day and 20-25k when new dlc drops doesn't match what Frankie said the other day where they get hundreds of thousands of unique players daily.

Yep, that alone shuts this down it seems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On the one hand, nothing here sounds implausible.

On the other hand, if this person is real, it's assuredly super obvious who it is to everyone at 343, which makes it seem fake.

Edit:

Ah, yeah, the player count thing kills it.

Sojgat

I can tell you that as far as the modeling of the next main series entry goes, the big agreement from the studio heads was that a longer campaign with impressive enemy AI and a less story-in-your-face approach to experiencing the levels, possibly akin to Combat Evolved.

Oh, you mean what they should've done two games ago?

Yep, that alone shuts this down it seems.

But consider this:

What if he means 15,000 people playing at a given time per day, but hundreds of thousands of unique players that make up that 15k throughout the day?

Like, hundreds of thousands of users log into Halo 5 daily, but at a given point, only 15,000 are playing at once.

jem0208

The player count didn't necessarily discount him...

If it's averaging 15K concurrent players and (for example) each player plays 1 hour that's 360k uniques in one day which fits in with what Frankie was saying.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lol at "Nemesis" and the Reach code that makes you explode.

I can confirm however that I am a shill and a cuck though so it's not all fake.

And to the dude who was asking if I am as much of a bitch to work for as he suspects, the answer is more so.

I think they successfully made the Prometheans way more fun to fight in H5. In H4 you just run out of ammo as they teleport away to heal, tank it with their shields, or respawn with watchers, or all of the above.

When was the last time you played Halo 3? Cause even 2 has aged better than it. Hell, for all Halo 4's MP's shortcomings, the simple act of moving and shooting in that feels leagues better than Halo 3 ever did.
Few months ago. And Halo online. Halo 3 has always been the halo game that feels best to me, so I'm not even sure where to start lol.

SomTervo

the big agreement from the studio heads was that a longer campaign with impressive enemy AI and a less story-in-your-face approach to experiencing the levels, possibly akin to Combat Evolved.

You never had my curiosity.

But now you have my attention.

Some interesting stuff. Probably all fake though. The guy says Halo 5 gets 10-15k players a day and 20-25k when new dlc drops doesn't match what Frankie said the other day where they get hundreds of thousands of unique players daily.

He was clearly talking concurrency, which franky was not.

And to the dude who was asking if I am as much of a bitch to work for as he suspects, the answer is more so.

As we all suspected. Frankie is a bitch to work with.

Cranster

Banned

I kind of expected as much.

300px-FUD_-_Beamish_portrait.png

Vire

What? You mean to tell me the thing posted on 4chan with no evidence isn't real?

I was waiting to see what Frankie's response would be and it was better than I ever expected.

How did this thread stay open so long?

Who knows. There's even mods posting in here.

mcrommert

Banned
Yeah this reads as completely made up with reasonable information

Anyone under nda would not the day they left give information that points the finger squarely at them...they would be sued immediately

XAL

Yeah this reads as completely made up with reasonable information

Anyone under nda would not the day they left give information that points the finger squarely at them...they would be sued immediately

I'm sure only a handful of people left 343 throughout the entire development of Halo 5 and after.

If only they could post information anonymously.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm sure only a handful of people left 343 throughout the entire development of Halo 5 and after.

If only they could post information anonymously.

I think you're giving too much credit to the potential juiciness of a story.

Making the game was hard!

Features got cut!

People argued!

Someone did something gross in the third floor bathroom!

Steel

Banned
ITT I learned people actually want to keep the master chief. I mean, why?!? He's a quiet guy that's always in full armor, you can replace him with just about anyone, keep them quiet and no one would no the difference. Why?!?

Loxley

A LOT of internet gaming communities hate gaf because apparently we're all evil "sjw"s who want to censor everything.

Or some dumb shit like that

I think it has more to do with the fact that we're all just so athletic and good-looking.

ITT I learned people actually want to keep the master chief. I mean, why?!? He's a quiet guy that's always in full armor, you can replace him with just about anyone, keep them quiet and no one would no the difference. Why?!?

Because he's basically Microsoft's Mickey Mouse (sorry Clippy).

mcrommert

Banned
Ugh, please! Strike 3 and you're out for Halo 6, honestly!

Even if this is all fake, I agree with that.

Prometheans best enemies in the game...they are up to your speed...with the addition of the dash and ground pound and running...the older enemies are too slow.

Prometheans are up to speed

Cranster

Banned
To get technical, he hasn't been quiet since Halo 3.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think you're giving too much credit to the potential juiciness of a story.

Making the game was hard!

Features got cut!

People argued!

Someone did something gross in the third floor bathroom!

That was me sorry. I sacrificed a durian to Jobu!

Nothing about this is particularly unreasonable or earth-shattering, in fact most of it seems extremely plausible. Didn't meet expectations but was still successful and profitable? Seems like a given. Story had heavy changes? I think that's like... Every Halo. But then it's fucking 4chan, so there's that. And again, it's not exactly earth-shattering info, so whether it's true or false: eh.

I will say though that holy shit 4chan is awful. Like:

Who's idea was it to include a black main protagonist in a core halo game as master chief's equal and what can we do to end their life?

Holy fucking shit.

To get technical, he hasn't been quiet since Halo 3.

I mean, he's never been entirely "quiet". He speaks in literally every game. You can buy his voice in Halo Reach for Firefight, lol. He's not Gordon Freeman.

Flipyap

They're a lot better in 5.

Making the Knights mini-bosses was the right way, I feel.
They appear with the frequency of mini-bosses, but since they lost all of the abilities that made them so dangerous in 4 (and with them almost all of their mobility), they've become some of the easiest enemies in the game. Hunters they are not and Halo 5 is far too liberal with power weapon placement.

He could be talking about concurrent.

But 10-15k still seems low.

Slightly under h4, which had like 3x more consoles, so matches up with retention>h4. Everything seems pretty plausible. Really glad to hear the heads agreed to a good direction for h6.

If what he says is true, then 343i really have no idea what to do with the series and doesn't have a clue how to make it interesting again. Most of what they do is follow trends and see what sticks. Things like Iron sights and the Halo weapon 4 drops felt weird and out of place in a Halo game, but other popular games did it so they thought they might do it too.

How the might Halo has fallen.

Fallen? H5 is the best Halo has ever played online. Campaign needs help though.

Never understood that myself. His main qualities are a raspy voice and luckiness.

Cortana had personality, but they busted it in turning her into a damsel in distress before turning her hot and bothered for the Chief. I never could go along with her supposed evolution.

Regardless, when you center all of the stories around two characters you have to magnify their importance to stupid levels, and that's where you get prophesies about how that's possible, and you paint yourself into a corner with a universe.

Top Bottom