• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan: Alleged former 343 employee shares studio details on Halo reception & develop.

It's harder to track you down, but only if you're smart enough to not leave hints everywhere like this guy is doing (obviously, if legit).
There is some legit leaks there, and some people would be surprised to know how some devs and studios actually go on 4chan.

I see, thank you kindly and others who replied. Must be my personal bias of 4chan of being the darkest and cringe area of the internet. I am still gonna say fake however. I need more proof.

Rodelero

>Is Bonnie nice lady?
You won't believe me but I hardly ever talked to her. Got a very "ivory tower" vibe (no pun intended) from her. I will say that she's not nearly as attractive ass she appears on TV with makeup effects on.

We'll probably never know if this guy is legit. We know he's an ass though.

I don't quite believe it. Not saying Halo is getting major numbers buts that's below BF4 and slightly above titanfall numbers ( not recent titanfall but like 1.5 years after launch)

And they already said it had higher retention rates than 4

Actually it's inline with xbox one game popularity list. Halo 5 is at BF level, which you can see it's population and it's around 10k.

People saying they can't get rid of Chief even though there's already multiple games in the franchise that didn't have him or only featured him as a co-protagonist and still did very well. If anything, they should have left him where he was at the end of Halo 3.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why though?

Yeah, I don't get why this is necessary.

Chief's and Cortana's relationship is one of the best things about Halo, getting rid of that takes away a big element of what makes Halo Halo.

We saw what a non-Chief game is with Halo 5 and it wasn't pretty.

As somebody who thinks Halo 4 is the quantifiable narrative peak of the series with a complex and moving story, Halo 5 will always be one of the most disappointing follow ups I've ever known.

Halo is like Assassin's Creed in a way: the massive fan base has stayed with the series for different reasons. Some are in it for story and the lore and others are in it for the competitive online multiplayer. Some were even in it for the couch coop. So who do you make the game for? You don't have the time or budget to invest in everything. The list of demands has gotten too long for your business model. You will inevitably disappoint somebody. And by somebody, I mean a sizable portion of your most loyal, but divided, fans.

I mean, Halo is the only series that can be shamed and lambasted for the state of its multiplayer on the MCC, but have that same "broken" collection win the IGN user award for best remaster. The divide is as wide as the modern day drama/historical fiction fans in Assassin's Creed fans, and just as difficult to reconcile.

Who knows if there will ever be another Halo with a story as as 4 and multiplayer as good as 2/3. Halo might not be able to sustain the empire it built anymore.

There is, it's called Halo 5.

Halo 3 may have been good "at the time" but it's aged horribly. The MCC made that more apparent.

I never played Halo for the multiplayer, so I can really only echo the opinions of others I've heard. But you get the point I was making either way.

I can't understand why so many Halo fans pretend that Master Chief is some iconic character the series should never move away from.

As a practically silent protagonist he was fine, I liked him in the original Halo trilogy, but he doesn't have such a force of personality that the series needs him. Honestly I'm having trouble thinking of many other gaming series going on for 15+ years with a single main character. Master Chief isn't James Bond or something, the games are far more about the gameplay mechanics and the setting, they always have been.

(I assume these details are all nonsense, obviously.)

soultron

Banned
Stinkles hasn't come in as he usually does to spout bullshit from the mountain tops so it must be at least somewhat plausible.
It's Saturday and the best move when unsubstantiated stuff like this drops is often not to talk about it at all.

Why though?
Besides any other reasons, because the universe Bungie and 343 have created is larger than those two characters.

You can tell more stories, and different stories without having to have those two personalities as the prophetic chosen-one center of each.

And you can bring in more inclusiveness ta boot. Let each player customize their own spartans or AIs and bring them into campaign, co-op and competitive, rather than the standby of gruff mcgrufferson and his spunky side-kick or the silent lone-wolf protagonist.

There's so much more than could be done, even within the rough gameplay boundaries marked by previous Halos. That's my take anyway, and I'd be just fine with new games that have nothing to do with The Chief or Cortana.

george_us

If you take Chief and Cortana out of Halo then it's just another sci-fi shooter. The uniqueness of those iconic characters are the main pillar for the franchise, bigger than the universe.
Yes Halo Reach and ODST are regarded as good games, but they are like spinoffs/non-mainline.
Breh WITH Chief and Cortana Halo's always been just another sci-fi shooter in terms of aesthetics and story. What's always separated Halo from everything else is the gameplay.

ethomaz

Banned
I can't understand why so many Halo fans pretend that Master Chief is some iconic character the series should never move away from.

As a practically silent protagonist he was fine, I liked him in the original Halo trilogy, but he doesn't have such a force of personality that the series needs him. Honestly I'm having trouble thinking of many other gaming series going on for 15+ years with a single main character. Master Chief isn't James Bond or something, the games are far more about the gameplay mechanics and the setting, they always have been.

(I assume these details are all nonsense, obviously.)
If you look the games without Chief you will understand why...

Going through this, the idea of a modern FPS with CE-esque open endedness really appeals. Even the more offbeat FPS titles seem to miss the mark on that.
Stinkles hasn't come in as he usually does to spout bullshit from the mountain tops so it must be at least somewhat plausible.

Pretty sure Frank has the new GAF thread topic Twitter account linked with his brain. #facts

rofl
Halo 3 may have been good "at the time" but it's aged horribly. The MCC made that more apparent.
disagree

Welfare

He could be talking about concurrent.

But 10-15k still seems low.
Yeah, that's about a third to half of what BF4 has right now. We also know that retention is better than Halo 4, and it didn't drop that low until much later in its life. Going to call bullshit on that one.

Kalentan

I never played Halo for the multiplayer, so I can really only echo the opinions of others I've heard. But you get the point I was making either way.

For the most part, yes, Halo 4 is also my favorite in terms of SP. Yet, I wasn't as dissapointed as others for Halo 5's story. Not as good as Halo 4? Nah, but I'm intrigued to see where it going none-the-less.

When was the last time you played Halo 3? Cause even 2 has aged better than it. Hell, for all Halo 4's MP's shortcomings, the simple act of moving and shooting in that feels leagues better than Halo 3 ever did.

I figured most of the story was left on the cutting room floor

This 'Halo 5 SP is shit' idiocy needs to fuck off.

It wasnt shit, but it paled in comparison to halo 4's excellent story. I still feel that 4 told the best story, and 3 had the best gameplay.

>How does the future for the series look? Good or not so good?
I can tell you that as far as the modeling of the next main series entry goes, the big agreement from the studio heads was that a longer campaign with impressive enemy AI and a less story-in-your-face approach to experiencing the levels, possibly akin to Combat Evolved. Also a big core goal going forward is (and this is written on the grey board in every room that has one, almost as a meme) "MAKE THE PROMETHEANS FUN TO FIGHT". Yes they're here to stay.
Fake or not, this part needs to be real.

ethomaz

Banned
Reach and ODST and Halo Wars if you want to count RTS? Yeah, those were great.

Halo 5 was undercooked and deceptively marketed though.
These are the games (except Halo Wars) that received more criticism before 5/4.

Reach is a love/hate case while previous Halos was universal love.

DedValve

Banned
I'll chose to believe this is real because I like the sound of this.

Locke was extremely boring and anytime I played as him, which was 2/3 of the game, all I wanted was to just go back to the chief and Blue Team. I REALLY hope in Halo 6, we never have to play him again.

Also, Halo 5's campaign was extremely short, I'm dying to have a 10+ hour long campaign.

Locke and his whole team as well as team blue was such a letdown after Halo Reach that actually took the time to flesh out its characters.

The whole story revolved around chief and cortana yet it felt like only cortana grew in the end (and completely unexpectedly and not in a good way)

They really should look at reach for fleshing out the two teams.

Did he mention how much money they are making from req packs?

indirectly

EquivalentExchange said:
>>340768893
>Is there any chance of future Halo games not having microtransaction system?
Can't confirm, but the Req pack system was a colossal money bank for Microsoft. More money was made through it than sales of the game to my understanding, which is not rare for games that have such a system. Same with spartan assault and Strike. So I would guess it's here to stay. If it makes you feel better, I'm literally the core guy that advocated for more Arena-centric req packs as opposed to the original approach that was mostly geared towards warzone.

Cranster

Banned
It's not shit but it shit the bed really fucking bad. The marketing and story built around the game was infinitely 10x better than the actual story we got, which felt like someone took the cliff notes of what they wanted to do and only built the game around those cliff notes.
Let's be honest, Halo 3's Beleive campaign was much more interesting than what w got in Halo 3's campaign but nobody is trashing Bungie over it.

rokkerkory

Interesting stuff if true. Most of it sounds plausible.

Would fuckin love a return to CE however. Stop making the sp more complex but simple with great fire fight sets.

Flipyap

Breh WITH Chief and Cortana Halo's always been just another sci-fi shooter in terms of aesthetics and story. What's always separated Halo from everything else is the gameplay.
Aesthetics? Maybe if you only look at the human military parts, but there's much more to Halo's aesthetics.
It's is a rare sci-fi shooter that's not afraid to be colorful and funny. No other game looks or sounds like Bungie's Halo.

These are the games (except Halo Wars) that received more criticism before 5/4.

Reach is a love/hate case while previous Halos was universal love.
Its hard to talk about love/hate without specifying campaign or multiplayer or co-op, as there are many kinds of Halo fans., and we come to the game for different things. But I'm going to assume you're limiting criticism to the campaign since we're talking about the Chief and Cortana?

"Original story of Halo 5 involved chief essentially running around the Galaxy destroying the remaining Halo rings and Locke being sent out to stop him. Cortana is basically communicating to him like she does in Halo 5 to get him to do this because if the Halo rings are gone, the reclemation essentially gets jumpstarted by AI as a safely measure. The cloak was just a cloak, mostly just to symbolize loneliness. Yeah it's kind of cheesy."
This story makes much more sense than what's left of it. And it would fit the marketing, if he's activating the Guardians to destroy the rings

rpg_fan

There's nothing particularly shocking or negative about that. If anything, it gives me a more positive vibe about H6.

Azoor

If what he says is true, then 343i really have no idea what to do with the series and doesn't have a clue how to make it interesting again. Most of what they do is follow trends and see what sticks. Things like Iron sights and the Halo weapon 4 drops felt weird and out of place in a Halo game, but other popular games did it so they thought they might do it too.

How the might Halo has fallen.

Glowsquid

The guy whose job I essentially took had tons of expiramental codes built into the Reach Title Update. Wierd stuff like when you get hit, your spartan's body expands quickly to fill up the size of the entire rendered map before vanishing. On his last day he activated one of them for the Rumble Pit Playlist. It was up for about an hour. My supervisor came sprinting into the main office and screamed "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH REACH?!" I had to clean up the mess but everybody just started hysterically laughing even though most of them hadn't done anything with Reach in over a year.

assuming this isn't bullshit, lmao

Striker

Interesting stuff if true. Most of it sounds plausible.

Would fuckin love a return to CE however. Stop making the sp more complex but simple with great fire fight sets.
More explosions brah.

When was the last time you played Halo 3? Cause even 2 has aged better than it. Hell, for all Halo 4's MP's shortcomings, the simple act of moving and shooting in that feels leagues better than Halo 3 ever did.
The movement and shooting aspects were always shitty in Halo 3. It isn't relative to its time.

Top Bottom