• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
I'm only getting 12% usage and I have 3DS Max running in the background.
iu4AspAY7p88X.png

Edit: Or is it the autoplay? I can't test that.

Try the first page or some other page with a lof of webms.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some of them don't load with the Chrome or Firefox plugin, anyone else notice this?
Yup.

CPU usage for me too is way too high for this to be feasible. An on/off toggle would be cool for embedding though, like the mobile app has for all pictures/GIFs.

JordanN

Banned
Installed the FireFox script. The highest I got was 57% and it quickly drops down to 20-30%. Still with 3DS Max running in the background.
igkQhsZL974PT.png

Well, autoplay seems to fry my CPU...

edit: This page seems alright, but one of the pages on the gaming side powered up my fan in no time.

Thats my personal thing, I wish they didn't auto play, that first page in gaming is taxing my CPU quite a bit. Still damn cool though,

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome extension)

Making that stupid screenshot took most of the time, lol. If anyone wants to port it to Firefox or whatever the code ain't complex:

Code:
'use strict';

var videos = document.querySelectorAll('.post a'),
  link, video;

for (var i = 0; i < videos.length; i++) {
  link = videos[i].href;
  if (link.indexOf('.webm') === link.length - 5) {
    video = document.createElement('video');
    video.src = link;
    video.autoplay = true;
    video.loop = true;
    video.muted = true;
    video.width = '500';

videos[i].parentNode.replaceChild(video, videos[i]);
  }
}

There might even be a better way to do it, dunno. Spent about 10 minutes on this haha.

Anyway to make an option to loop/not-loop as a toggle?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Someone should make an Imgur for WebM.

(Don't say I should do it because then I will and it'll take up my whole week, lol.)

Anyway to make an option to loop/not-loop as a toggle?

Right click -> Uncheck loop?

jman2050

Add some GUI options to control stuff like autoplaying, autolooping, native or set width etc. and have click-to-play and it'd be even better.

Volotaire

WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome extension)

Making that stupid screenshot took most of the time, lol. If anyone wants to port it to Firefox or whatever the code ain't complex:

Code:
'use strict';

var videos = document.querySelectorAll('.post a'),
  link, video;

for (var i = 0; i < videos.length; i++) {
  link = videos[i].href;
  if (link.indexOf('.webm') === link.length - 5) {
    video = document.createElement('video');
    video.src = link;
    video.autoplay = true;
    video.loop = true;
    video.muted = true;
    video.width = '500';

videos[i].parentNode.replaceChild(video, videos[i]);
  }
}

There might even be a better way to do it, dunno. Spent about 10 minutes on this haha.

Oh yes!

Cipherr

Thanks for the Chrome plugin for GAF, this is awesome. I saw a little spike in CPU usages, but Ill bet most of us have plenty of CPU room to spare over bandwidth, These load incredibly fast and have remarkable quality. Win.

Mr.Mike

Thanks for the Chrome plugin for GAF, this is awesome. I saw a little spike in CPU usages, but Ill bet most of us have plenty of CPU room to spare over bandwidth, These load incredibly fast and have remarkable quality. Win.

I'm not sure how that usage measuring works, but I'm not getting any sort of lag or slowdown even at "100%" usage. I suspect it might be reserving a lot of resources that it doesn't really need. So yea, we should all be fine.

Coreda

With all these large (in file size and width) webm examples I wonder if the issue of bandwidth consumption will be solved, or whether small bloated gifs will just be replaced with similar file size HD WIFs/WAIFs as we realize how much more efficient they are.

whitehawk

Banned

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't see the problem. Might as well put that CPU to use and run them properly. GIFs may not have been CPU intensive, but they were also played back terribly.

Ran rp

I get about 70-80% CPU usage on the heavier pages. Around 40-50% on just this one. But I do have a few other tabs open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom