• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
The problem is browser support, not the difficulty in getting their customized VBulletin to support the format.

Official support encourages use, and isn't very inclusive of the entire GAF userbase. Whereas animated GIFs are supported in almost all browsing situations.

I'd guess it would primarily be mobile users who would be impacted, where large animated gifs are already shitty for most. I avoid gif threads on mobile myself. I'd be curious to know the actual browser and OS breakdown for GAF users. It's hard to really know what kind of impact it might have otherwise.

For general purpose reply gifs, I don't see it taking over. For gaming side threads it would be amazing, though.

LKAr3zx.gif

Pretty sweet. Any mobile browsers support webm yet? Firefox mobile doesn't seem to.

Didn't find a mobile browser solution yet. VLC (for iOS in my case /iPad) plays these files without issues though. I can't browse a site with embedded webM files though. It requires a direct link to the file.

Techies

Nothing annoys me more than having a 50meg Gig load in the backround with my limited cap. I love the idea of the 3 Meg cap from 4Chan.

Can't believe I just complemented 4Chan...

Dead Man

So, importantly (since everyone uses it as the source of their images), is Tumblr going to support this? I would love to remove all those shitty non synced gifs from history. If they supported this they could keep their 1mb restriction in place and still have decent clips.

pompidu

Seems the default Android browser works with them. Sometimes it comes up embedded. Sometimes it'll launch a new tab/window.

This is on my Nexus 5 right now.

Works in Opera Mobile, Android native browser, Android Chrome, and Android Firefox. No support on iOS since all browsers on iOS are just skins of Safari's rendering engine and Safari doesn't support it anywhere.

It's working for my Firefox on my Android tablet.

Yeah i got it to work. Wobt play embedded but will if you open in a new tab. Thanks guys!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome extension)

Making that stupid screenshot took most of the time, lol. If anyone wants to port it to Firefox or whatever the code ain't complex:

Code:
'use strict';

var videos = document.querySelectorAll('.post a'),
  link, video;

for (var i = 0; i < videos.length; i++) {
  link = videos[i].href;
  if (link.indexOf('.webm') === link.length - 5) {
    video = document.createElement('video');
    video.src = link;
    video.autoplay = true;
    video.loop = true;
    video.muted = true;
    video.width = '500';

videos[i].parentNode.replaceChild(video, videos[i]);
  }
}

There might even be a better way to do it, dunno. Spent about 10 minutes on this haha.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
WebM for NeoGAF (might not actually be published atm, sorry)

Making that stupid screenshot took most of the time, lol. If anyone wants to port it to Firefox or whatever the code ain't complex:

Code:
'use strict';

link, video;

link = videos[i].href;
    video.src = link;
    video.autoplay = true;
    video.loop = true;
    video.muted = true;
    video.width = '500';

}
}

There might even be a better way to do it, dunno. Spent about 10 minutes on this haha.

BASED ANDREX

DaBoss

-snip-
Thank you. Someone make it work for Firefox please.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

DAMN.

damn.

Dead Man

Awesome. Now to wait patiently while another wonderful soul makes one for FF :)

Ran rp

Code:
'use strict';

link, video;

link = videos[i].href;
    video.src = link;
    video.autoplay = true;
    video.loop = true;
    video.muted = true;
    video.width = '500';

}
}

i would cry.webm if you made one for firefox

Code:
'use strict';

link, video;

link = videos[i].href;
    video.src = link;
    video.autoplay = true;
    video.loop = true;
    video.muted = true;
    video.width = '500';

}
}

You're awesome.

It feels like I'm living in 2014 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom