• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4GB SD card with every Nintendo 3DS XL !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

So? For consumers it'd be more. There's also the convenience of not buying it separately.

such a pitty i'll have to go to the shop to buy the ac adapter though. It is just stupid. Original 3DS had a 2GB and ac adaptor, that was nice. No need to buy anything else. +2gb vs ac adaptor? lol

Despite the obvious mistake of not having AC adpater, at least this comes with a memory storage device by default, unlike Vita.

And what's more important, it's not an owned system.

gogogow

That is 32GB. I found a 4GB too, but that was not available for sale anymore.

Sony are not selling it anymore, but we know it exists. It's not like they somehow don't have the technology to make it anymore...

Anyway, even their SD cards are expensive as fuck. Samsung are selling 32GB Class 10 MicroSD's for way cheaper, £19 vs £45 (32GB Class 4 Sony SD card).

test_account

XP-39C²
I've heard Google cannot help when one is being intentionally naive.
If you didnt know the answer, why dont you just say that instead? I'm curious how much it cost, so i'd hope you knew the answer based on what you wrote, otherwise i wouldnt have asked. It doesnt have anything to do with being naive. If the Vita cards are modified class 2 SD cards or class 100, i'm still wondering about the costs.

Go for the 32GB.
I was actually wondering more about the buy-in price, and also about production costs. The discussion is about 4GB, so any higher capacity doesnt matter much here :)

Sony are not selling it anymore, but we know it exists. It's not like they somehow don't have the technology to make it anymore...

Anyway, even their SD cards are expensive as fuck. Samsung are selling 32GB Class 10 MicroSD's for way cheaper, £19 vs £45 (32GB Class 4 Sony SD card).
Yep, the retail price is expencive indeed.

PaulLFC

It's plausible that part of why they're doing this is that they released three systems (DSi, DSi XL, 3DS) that included this charger, and so to be greener they skip on this one. In contrast the Vita is the first instance of this charger, and thus MUST include it with every new system. Wouldn't surprise me if a Vita revision dumped it.
I doubt that - it's greed pure and simple, wanting to make a bigger profit by charging the consumer more to buy the charger separately than it would cost them to put one in the box. Even if "being green" was the reason, I'd bet the vast majority of customers wouldn't be satisfied with that excuse. If I'm paying £100+ for an electronic device the least I expect is for some way of charging it to be included in the box.

Matt

If you didnt know the answer, why dont you just say that instead? I'm curious how much it cost, so i'd hope you knew the answer based on what you wrote, otherwise i wouldnt have asked. It doesnt have anything to do with being naive. If the Vita cards are modified class 2 SD cards or class 100, i'm still wondering about the costs.

But looking at just Sony-branded ones dosen't matter at all. Just because they charge a premium dosen't mean they cost a premium to make.

PaulLFC

The ability of some people to bad-mouth almost everything Nintendo does is quite remarkable
So not including an AC adapter in the box that probably costs them a few pounds at most to produce, and then making customers pay more to buy the charger separately, is acceptable?

Matt

So not including an AC adapter in the box that probably costs them a few pounds at most to produce, and then making customers pay more to buy the charger separately, is acceptable?

Not that I really agree with he decision, but you could make the argument that doing this creates more consumer choice. If you already own previous Nintendo handhelds, you already have the charger, so the extra $ the 3DS XL would cost for you would be wasted. And for those that don't already have a charger, well, you just pick one up.

test_account

XP-39C²
But looking at just Sony-branded ones dosen't matter at all. Just because they charge a premium dosen't mean they cost a premium to make.
The branded ones was more of a joke. I knew that he was referring to the cost of the Vita memorycards, so i just joked about comparing it to SD-cards instead (Sony branded) :)

Vita cards are proprietary cards, and they arent produced in a massive amount yet (at least compared to SD cards). Even if the Vita cards are based on Micro SD, i guess being proprietary rise the cost some because it requires a custom production line. I dont know how much it cost though, that is why i asked, but it would be interesting to know.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If you didnt know the answer, why dont say that instead? I'm curious how much it cost, so i'd hope you knew the answer based on what you wrote, otherwise i wouldnt have asked.
Uh huh.
The branded ones was more of a joke. I knew that he was referring to the cost of the Vita memorycards, so i just joked about comparing it to SD-cards instead (Sony branded) :)

Vita cards are proprietary cards, and they arent produced in a massive amount yet (at least compared to SD cards). Even if the Vita cards are based on Micro SD, i guess being proprietary rise the cost some because it requires a custom production line. I dont know how much it cost though, that is why i asked, but it would be interesting to know.
You mean like sony's SD custom production line?

Matt

But it remains a poor argument. Sony designed these cards so that you have to buy one when you get the Vita, effectively raising their revenue from each Vita by $20-$100. So why are you giving them a pass for what costs that choice might have for them?

PaulLFC

Not that I really agree with he decision, but you could make the argument that doing this creates more consumer choice. If you already own previous Nintendo handhelds, you already have the charger, so the extra $ the 3DS XL would cost for you would be wasted. And for those that don't already have a charger, well, you just pick one up.
That would work if they reduce the price of the 3DS XL to compensate for not including the charger. I very much doubt they'll do that. And for those having to just buy one, they're very likely going to be paying more than it would have cost Nintendo to put the charger in the box for them, so the final cost to the customer is higher.

Matt

That would work if they reduce the price of the 3DS XL to compensate for not including the charger. I very much doubt they'll do that. And for those having to just buy one, they're very likely going to be paying more than it would have cost Nintendo to put the charger in the box for them, so the final cost to the customer is higher.

For all you know, the cost of the XL is already reduced by removing the charger.

Again, not that I agree with the decision, but it has a certain logic to it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes? I'm still wondering about the production costs even i more of kinda joked about the other stuff :)

You mean like sony's SD custom production line?
Sony branded SD cards are expencive at retail indeed. Were you referring to these cards? I thought your comment was directed at Vita memory cards. If you were referring the Sony branded SD cards, then i was mistaken, sorry. I was just curious about it, it was a serious question.

Does Sony produce SD cards by the way? Or do they get someone else to produce it for them? Same goes for the Vita cards. I have no idea if Sony has a own production line regarding memorycards.

But it remains a poor argument. Sony designed these cards so that you have to buy one when you get the Vita, effectively raising their revenue from each Vita by $20-$100. So why are you giving them a pass for what costs that choice might have for them?
It is not an arguement, i'm just asking a question out of curiousity. I agree that there is no secret that the cards are priced the way they are, that this is a part of their Vita business strategy. But i'm still wondering about the cost compared to SD cards.

smr00

Banned
A 4gb sd card doesn't cost anything though.
Yeah i was just about to say this, i bought a 32gb for my 3DS for under $20 during a BB sale and i praise nintendo for using SD, i think it's goddamn stupid sony keeps forcing us to buy their shitty and it's one of the reasons i don't own a vita, i am waiting for a price drop a drop in the price of their shitty overpriced cards.

Matt

Yeah i was just about to say this, i bought a 32gb for my 3DS for under $20 during a BB sale.

SD cards are like thumb drives, they cost nothing these days.

Everything costs something when you have to multiply is by millions.

Lets say it costs $2 a unit. Lets say to XL sells 30 million units (completely random number). That's 60 million dollars of cash that they didn't have to spend.

Elginer

Any yet I can't even play a game unless on the Vita unless I have one which I have to buy extra. Hmm... nope. Don't like it.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
I don't get this, doesn't the 3DS XL costs more ? (30$ than the regular one) so how is Nintendo being generous ?

I can understand calling them that if they replaced the cards in the regular 3DS but for the XL it's a new system in a new package with a new pricing scheme.

Matt

I don't get this, doesn't the 3DS XL costs more ? (30$ than the regular one) so how is Nintendo being generous ?

I can understand calling them that if they replaced the cards in the regular 3DS but for the XL it's a new system in a new package with a new pricing scheme.

I think the idea is that it's something they didn't have to do but did anyway.

Not sure I would subscribe to that though. Obviously the point is to try and push the eShop more, so they have a financial reason for the decision.

Ratrat

Yeah i was just about to say this, i bought a 32gb for my 3DS for under $20 during a BB sale and i praise nintendo for using SD, i think it's goddamn stupid sony keeps forcing us to buy their shitty and it's one of the reasons i don't own a vita, i am waiting for a price drop a drop in the price of their shitty overpriced cards.
Same. A 16mb memory stick duo cost me 20 bucks when I first got a psp. Years later they've dropped in price and I have several 8 and 16gb and theyre now useless!

dose

What a terrible argument. That's like saying when you buy a new kettle they shouldn't bother giving you a kettle lead as you'll probably have bought one before, yet every kettle maker gives you one regardless.
There is no reason Nintendo aren't providing adaptors other than they're cheapskates and that they want to make the cost of the XL appear lower than what it actually is.

Matt

What a terrible argument. That's like saying when you buy a new kettle they shouldn't bother giving you a kettle lead as you'll probably have bought one before, yet every kettle maker gives you one regardless.
There is no reason Nintendo aren't providing adaptors other than they're cheapskates and that they want to make the cost of the XL appear lower than what it actually is.

Are Apple "cheapskates" for not including AC adapters in some iPods?

You're answer may be yes, idk.

Matt

Yes, but at least they provided a way of actually charging your device, ie, a USB cable.

So then is Sony a "cheapskate" for not including a USB cable with PS3 controllers? You have no way of charging one of those with just what is in the box.

rpmurphy

So then is Sony a "cheapskate" for not including a USB cable with PS3 controllers? You have no way of charging one of those with just what is in the box.
They all cut corners in one way or another. This isn't an enthusiast market.

dose

Seeing as you get a USB cable with the PS3, and a controller on its own is useless, I'd say not. The controller is a peripheral, not something you can actually use by itself.

PaulLFC

For all you know, the cost of the XL is already reduced by removing the charger.

Again, not that I agree with the decision, but it has a certain logic to it.
What logic is that? Even Apple include a USB cable with iPhones/iPods, so there is at least some way of charging the device. The 3DS XL has no way of charging without an additional accessory. That's not logical - it's at best a silly decision, and at worst a greedy one.

Matt

Seeing as you get a USB cable with the PS3, and a controller on its own is useless, I'd say not. The controller is a peripheral, not something you can actually use by itself.

But what if you lost that one? Or bought a used PS3 without one? Or want to charge two cables at the same time? Considering how cheap USB cables are for Sony, why not just throw it one in!?

Again, I think a AC adapter should be in the box with the XL. I just think calling companies "cheapskates" over stuff like this is excessive. I'm sure they did some a study and determined that the cost wasn't worth it with who they assume will buy an XL (i.e. previous Nintendo systems owners) in Japan and Europe. It was a business decision, and all companies make the same ones.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
I think the idea is that it's something they didn't have to do but did anyway.

Not sure I would subscribe to that though. Obviously the point is to try and push the eShop more, so they have a financial reason for the decision.

But we don't know the full circumstances. I remember the PS3 upping the HD space from 20 Gig to 40 Gig keeping the same retail price for the system and it turned out that with time it became cheaper to manufacture the 40 Gig so they made the jump.

Maybe we have the same situation here ( I don't know I'm fool at these things) and maybe they are just awesome like the OP says, but honestly I don't think that's the case. Nintendo more than any other console maker is about how they can make profits in packaging their devices.

Matt

What logic is that? Even Apple include a USB cable with iPhones/iPods, so there is at least some way of charging the device. The 3DS XL has no way of charging without an additional accessory. That's not logical - it's at best a silly decision, and at worst a greedy one.

Yep, I agree it is silly.

Matt

But we don't know the full circumstances. I remember the PS3 upping the HD space from 20 Gig to 40 Gig keeping the same retail price for the system and it turned out that with time it became cheaper to manufacture the 40 Gig so they made the jump.

That very well may be. Still nice, regardless of the reason.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It was a business decision, and all companies make the same ones.

I think you have to take exceptional note that this is probably the first handheld to be sold with no method of charging it within the package. Thats entirely new, and thus no, not "all companies" make the same decisions.

mclem

I doubt that - it's greed pure and simple, wanting to make a bigger profit by charging the consumer more to buy the charger separately than it would cost them to put one in the box. Even if "being green" was the reason, I'd bet the vast majority of customers wouldn't be satisfied with that excuse. If I'm paying £100+ for an electronic device the least I expect is for some way of charging it to be included in the box.

I'm prepared to wait and see what the pricing is. It was presented to us as a way to bring it to us cheaper, so perhaps that'll be reflected in the pricing. Isn't the Japanese price reasonably competitive with the existing 3DS?

Matt

I think you have to take exceptional note that this is probably the first handheld to be sold with no method of charging it within the package. Thats entirely new, and thus no, not "all companies" make the same decisions.

That may be true, I was speaking in terms of all companies make business decisions based on various factors that, while they seem silly or wrong to us, usually make some sense if you look at it from a different perspective.

But I'm tired of defending this decision, as I never agreed with it in the first place.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
While nintendo's motives for the non-inclusuion of the power adapter are pretty obvious (Shibata even said as much in his version of ND), there's a pretty large group of potential customers who already have at least one compatible (dsi/dsiXL/3ds) adapter in the house. Those guys would welcome such a decision (NA non-withstanding). For the rest of the customers there's the one-time investment in a 3ds power adapter. See, it's very much like those vita customers who already have heaps of vita cards laying around, or they just buy one for cheap and are set for life.

test_account

XP-39C²
But what if you lost that one? Or bought a used PS3 without one? Or want to charge two cables at the same time? Considering how cheap USB cables are for Sony, why not just throw it one in!?

Again, I think a AC adapter should be in the box with the XL. I just think calling companies "cheapskates" over stuff like this is excessive. I'm sure they did some a study and determined that the cost wasn't worth it with who they assume will buy an XL (i.e. previous Nintendo systems owners) in Japan and Europe. It was a business decision, and all companies make the same ones.
If you lose it or buy a used one, then that is on you, not Sony.

But i agree with that i think the AC adapter should be included, but that it is not a huge deal that it isnt included. Nintendo do sell official AC adapters for 3DS seperately, dont they?

Ratrat

I'm prepared to wait and see what the pricing is. It was presented to us as a way to bring it to us cheaper, so perhaps that'll be reflected in the pricing. Isn't the Japanese price reasonably competitive with the existing 3DS?

4 ~ 5k difference.

Looks like Nintendo is doubling the sd card memory capacity for the XL !

Very generous to bundle 4GB with every system

Unlike a rival portable system that requires you to buy a system game bundle to get the 4GB memory card.

I love the genuine way in which this post pretends the Vita and 3DS are perfectly comparable pieces of hardware.

The value proposition is identical, so that makes Nintendo "very generous".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom