• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K/60fps May Not Be A Standard On PS5/Next Xbox, But 1080p/60fps Is A Given, Says...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Performance always ages better than resolution/graphics. In 15 years, the purists will think 4K looks "like vaseline smeared on the screen" compared to 8K, just like 480p was "vastly inferior" to 720p, and 720p couldn't hold a candle to 1080p, and so forth.

It is for this same reason that I despise Star Fox (SNES). Game runs like crap and is almost unplayable as a result yet came out years after stuff like Galaxy Force II (which suffers no such problems).

Yep, and Virtua Racing on the Genesis was so much smoother in comparison as well.

Chronos24

I would personally take 1080p 60fps but a bigger focus on AI. Let's have smarter games with NPC's that could maybe learn or adapt to our play. Lot of games get predictable or repetitive and don't get progressively harder. I've always said for example in a game like Zelda that every boss has a pattern. Learn the pattern, beat the boss. Why not have that boss learn us in the process? Just an example. Graphics, resolution, fps are one thing but I feel like immersion and gameplay need significant jumps as well. Games don't just need to be pretty.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Aren't most games pushing over 1080p (Pro and X) this gen already? Seems to me that devs will continue to prioritize resolution and IQ over framerate.

KINDERFELD

Banned
The average 1080p/4K tv has a native refresh rate of 60hz.
I had to purchase a monitor that has 144Hz so I can play 1080p games at that frame rate and yes, its quite pleasing to the eyes. If I spend too long gaming at that frame rate, when I look at my tv, I could actually see the frames blinking when its 30fps. It doesn't last long because your eyes quickly become adjusted to the lower frame rate.

I can see next consoles hitting frame rates above 60 for VR games. Console games don't really require it and again, very few tvs will be able to display above 60fps.

Next gen is going to probably push native 4K resolutions in games that aren't too demanding with a frame rate of 30. We'd most likely have the option of 1080p/60fps on base next gen consoles but there will most certainly still have checkerboard upscaling for more demanding games to hit 4K/30fps.

What I'd like to see if what the Pro versions of the PS5/Xbox 2X will aim to achieve.

I personally expect to see some custom made ray tracing. I know its still relatively new to PC but by 2022, which is when I'd expect to see PS5 Pro and Xbox 2X, these more expensive and powerful consoles will aim to give us checkerboard upscaled 4K/60fps and native 4K/60fps when possible and 1080p/60fps and checkerboard upscaled 4K/30fps with some type of ray tracing implemented.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I suppose I would be OK with 1440p @ 60fps as the standard, but why the heck would we have to compromise? There would be no point to getting a new console and this would be the first generation I skip, or at least until they release pro versions.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is always a useless argument. 60 FPS is never a set thing. I can make a game right now that runs in 320 x 240 that wouldn’t hit 60fps on a titan rtx.

Last edited:

Shifty

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Framerate doesn't sell. Massive amounts of budget will still be assigned to achieving maximum shiny at minimum playable tick rate.
Though I suppose the framerate modes that have come into vogue with the PS4 Pro and X are a step in the right direction.

carsar

4k 60fps for simulators/fightings/online games and 4k 30fps for single games with cinematic CGI level graphics would be ok for me. I can even be pleasured with 3840x1600@30fps for the better visual like Order 1886 did.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
LMFAO!! do people really except 4K 60fps as standard on next gen??? get your head out the clouds. OK...maybe on some games like indies/esports but definitely NOT as standard. to get 4K 60fps on PC you need a GPU that cost more than a console and that's just the GPU. you also need a decent CPU...can't see them putting anything too powerful CPU wise in next gen.

<<<<<<<<< mfw when console owners think they can get 4K 60

seriously though...if console owners cared about 60fps so much they wouldn't be playing on console in the first place. 4K 30fps will be standard and the majority will like it. but muuuuh XB1X beast!!!!11!!!

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
LMFAO!! do people really except 4K 60fps as standard on next gen??? get your head out the clouds. OK...maybe on some games like indies/esports but definitely NOT as standard. to get 4K 60fps on PC you need a GPU that cost more than a console and that's just the GPU. you also need a decent CPU...can't see them putting anything too powerful CPU wise in next gen.

<<<<<<<<< mfw when console owners think they can get 4K 60

seriously though...if console owners cared about 60fps so much they wouldn't be playing on console in the first place. 4K 30fps will be standard and the majority will like it. but muuuuh XB1X beast!!!!11!!!

Come next gen you're going to see a wave of PS4 games remastered at 4K/60FPS.
It may not be native 4K but checkerboard 4K at 60fps will be very doable.

I would personally take 1080p 60fps but a bigger focus on AI. Let's have smarter games with NPC's that could maybe learn or adapt to our play. Lot of games get predictable or repetitive and don't get progressively harder. I've always said for example in a game like Zelda that every boss has a pattern. Learn the pattern, beat the boss. Why not have that boss learn us in the process? Just an example. Graphics, resolution, fps are one thing but I feel like immersion and gameplay need significant jumps as well. Games don't just need to be pretty.

If anything I feel like AI took a step back this gen. Seemed to be rarely a focus on many major games

Lux R7

i would guess 1440p/60 or notive 4k/30
Everything else is just too much for a 400/500 euro console imho

4K HDR should be a fucking given in 2021. It's not like it's hard to output in 3K and then supersample to 4K if it need be.

But yeah, no 4K standard especially as the 4K TV market is becoming the standard baseline, they can go F*** themselves.

tkscz

Aren't most games pushing over 1080p (Pro and X) this gen already? Seems to me that devs will continue to prioritize resolution and IQ over framerate.

With geometry, lighting, anti-aliasing, anisotropic, shadows, reflections, textures, mapping etc etc... on a level easily handled by original PS4 and XBO hardware. If any of that gets bumped to levels easily handled by next gen hardware, then that could cause trouble for increased resolutions. Not saying this is true or not, as the word of one man should always be taken with a grain a salt, but of course if you kept all rendering at current generation level than 4k/60fps is not only obtainable, but so would increasing the resolution. But if you bog the hardware down with something more of it's level, then you may have to make compromises with the resolution.

The latest ace combat game on xbox one x ps4 pro runs at 1080p. Of course 4k is not a given, it takes ~$800 of gpu hardware right now to get 4k to 60fps in most of today's titles. Even in 1-2 years from now it will still be too costly to include such a gpu on a SOC in a console box not to mention that future game graphics will continue to push hardware going forward.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Lol @ people who expected anything more from mobile grade hardware. Reality is that these boxes cost ~500€ and they have compromised cooling and output capacity due to size and power consumption constraints.

Buy a PC if you want to flaunt good graphics at playable frame rate (which 30 is not).

Also, obligatory:

What are you, like, twelve years old?

Tiamat2san

I just love 4K, everything is so crisp.
I love 60 FPS too...
I guess it depends on the game.
For game like tomb raider, Witcher, red dead, open world game in general I prefer graphics.
But for fighting games, First person shooters and racing games i’m All for 60 FPS.
I hope we will have 4K / 60 FPS for everything next gen but I doubt it.
Hope he’s wrong.

I mean how would they even come out and advertise it?.

oh. last gen rank games at 4k on xbox one x. this gen can't do it at 60 fps

if the jump isn't that big then its pretty shitty.

Vawn

Banned
I mean how would they even come out and advertise it?.

oh. last gen rank games at 4k on xbox one x. this gen can't do it at 60 fps

if the jump isn't that big then its pretty shitty.

It all comes down to WHAT game it's running. Saying a machine can run games at 4k/60 FPS is meaningless. You could be talking about a super intensive next-generation title, with super realistic graphics and tons of things going on or you could be talking about 4k/60 FPS Pong.

Last edited:
It all comes down to WHAT runit's running. Saying a machine can run games at 4k/60 FPS is meaningless. You could be talking about a super intensive next-generation title, with super realistic graphics and tons of things going on or you could be talking about 4k/60 FPS Pong.

not really. red dead runs at like 4k. 30 fps

if the consoles are gonna do 4k 30 fps again then why bother? that talk doesn't make any sense. games are nearly as complex as they can get

not really. red dead runs at like 4k. 30 fps

if the consoles are gonna do 4k 30 fps again then why bother? that talk doesn't make any sense. games are nearly as complex as they can get

I would hope we at least get vastly improved textures, loading, LOD, pop-in, crowd density, etc next gen for games that can run 4K/30 on current gen specs

I would hope we at least get vastly improved textures, loading, LOD, pop-in, crowd density, etc next gen for games that can run 4K/30 on current gen specs

if it can't run todays games at 4k60 then how would it run that.

a 2x jump in performance or so would give us 4k60 fps from the pro/x1x consoles. i mean if they can't accomplish that. it'd be terrible.

maybe 2x x1x. and 2.5x ps4 pro.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I actually don't mind 1080p with 60 fps for all next gen games. Whenever I play on my ps4 pro using games like god of war or even GT sports(replays) supporting that performance mode, I always play those games on my older 1080p TV. I am glad that I never got rid of that TV even after purchasing my 4K TV a year ago. I can play 1080p games on the 4K TV, but I feel that the image is a lot better on my native 1080pTV.

Last edited:

Teslerum

if it can't run todays games at 4k60 then how would it run that.

a 2x jump in performance or so would give us 4k60 fps from the pro/x1x consoles. i mean if they can't accomplish that. it'd be terrible.

maybe 2x x1x. and 2.5x ps4 pro.

No it wouldn't. Native 4k is 4 times the amount of pixels. Not 2 times, 4 times. And in your dreamworld next gen is going to do that while 60fps while advancing graphics?

Not gonna happen.

Pimpbaa

i really dont care

if they can't go to 4k 60 fps then on a technical side thats a pretty shitty generational jump. quite possibly the worst.

A developer can make a 4k 60fps game right now if they wanted too, and some have. It's not about the power of the hardware, it's about what the developer wants to do with that hardware. And most target 30fps because they want to push fancy graphics more than they want to push framerates. Better CPUs next gen might make 60fps more feasible to more developers, but I bet most wont and would prefer to use the available resources for the best possible graphics at 30fps.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
This is very reasonable and not an issue IMO. Most high end PC's even struggle with 4K60 for "modern" games. Personally, I am fine with 1080p60 but I understand ppl who have a 4k TV want the best possible. The main problem is getting a mass consumer price for a system which typically means shorting on CPU power which affect framerates.

Completely unreasonable IMO. They're falling too far behind. 120hz @ 4k will be a thing by the time the PS5 comes out.

Psajdak

Banned
At this point, I think I'm gonna be completely skipping any next console that won't run games at 60fps.

I don't care how much developers want to get artsy-fartsy, cinematic, or whatever, I just don't wanna pay for something in this time that runs jerkier than, let's say PS2.
Personally, I'm fine if some older consoles have majority of their games that run at lower framerate, but for post 2015, it's just unforgivable...

I'm not asking for 120fps, but still want something that feels decently fluid and smooth, and if it doesn't, no matter what kind of resolution, for me that game will be crap to play.
It is why I slowly in last few years moved more to PC.

If 4K/60 FPS isn’t the standard by next generation, then what’s the point in moving on? Slightly better textures? Slightly better physics? To make matters worst, if you have a Xbox One X or even a Pro, you already seem 4K at a decent frame rate.

Aintitcool

Banned
Raytracing everything will be at 1080p-1440p predictably. But Semi-RayTracing could maybe reach 4k 30fps. And add ontop of that new chekerboard techniques. Could still look good. 4k60 should be douable for old engine like unreal 4 when nextgen comes.

Kenpachii

Big chance you wont even see a stable 4k in most big AAA titles.
IF they put any capable ryzen in there, the GPU will be bottle necked to the end of the earth.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

When will gamers get it into their heads that resolution and frames per second is a design choice. It’s up to the devs and their goals. There’s no such thing as infinite resources, sacrifices must be made.

The only reason PC runs games at envious settings is because the games were designed around console specs. A dev can decide to make a game that even a GPU with literally 100TF will struggle to run the game at 5fps, it’s all about priorities. I don’t understand the needless whining and bitching about something we already know.

ZywyPL

Banned
I can totally see Sony and MS pushing the 4K60 agenda in their titles, while EA, Ubi etc. stick to 30 to keep improving the graphics.

I just feel it. I think next generation is going to be visually disappointing. Still impressive, but not the monumental leap or generational gap one would expect from new, presumably much more powerful consoles. If we still have to settle for 1080p next generation and can get 4K this generation that’s going to look strange imo. At least 1440p I feel would be even better, but honestly I think we should at least have the choice to choose between performance and graphics via resolutions and frame rate options in each game.

johntown

Banned
Completely unreasonable IMO. They're falling too far behind. 120hz @ 4k will be a thing by the time the PS5 comes out.
That is not the problem. Keeping the price consumer mass market friendly is the issue. Adding a high end CPU to get 4K 60 just want not be cost effective unless something major changes.

Top Bottom