• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5,000 Entrants for SFV at EVO

You would have thought K.I numbers would have skyrocketed since it was introduced on PC, but it has the lowest entrants here, even after a recent season of K.I.???

Lowest of all games, but KI did show a good increase from last year.

As for SFV, that's such an awesome number of entrants. I'm not sure SF4 ever got to those numbers, that's amazing because it shows that many people are really into this game, many people who never bothered with SF4 love SFV and are playing it.

SFIV's record was about 2,200 or so. This is a really mind-blowing number.

Impressive.

I wonder why KI isnt more popular though, its fighting mechanics are extremely solid, character diversity is very high, and its very well balanced. I wish more people were into it.

Is it just that SF has been around (and really good) for so long? Can any big SF loving players explain why they dont like KI?

Season 1 was too limiting in mechanics. By the time iron galaxy had made their mark mid season 2, most people who were even remotely interested had Guilty gear, MKX And blazblue to choose from. I'm not saying they are comparable, but they are known and loved entities.

By the end of season 2 and Beginning of Season 3, Street fighter was out. (And pokken, if your into that sort of thing)

It's not a case that KI was a bad game, but as a new IP, it's time to shine was when it was the only kid on the block (bar a shitty port of injustice).

With KOF round the corner and Tekken confirmed to be coming soon, the only people who really are gonna put serious time into KI are people who are already converted. It's not gonna get much bigger than it already is, no matter what happens at this point.

Pachinko

I think the most interesting part of this is that sales to consumers seem to have no bearing whatsoever on tournament popularity. I imagine with SF it helps when the brand is well known world wide and there's such a huge prize at the end of the season (the finale will be what, a 100,000 $ to the first place winner ?) but it's just odd seeing all these games that have a much higher player base "under preform" during registration like this.

I'm really looking forward to EVO though , booked a trip 2 days ago , will probably be among the 0-2's but I don't care it should be a blast.

Crayon

I think the most interesting part of this is that sales to consumers seem to have no bearing whatsoever on tournament popularity. I imagine with SF it helps when the brand is well known world wide and there's such a huge prize at the end of the season (the finale will be what, a 100,000 $ to the first place winner ?) but it's just odd seeing all these games that have a much higher player base "under preform" during registration like this.

I'm really looking forward to EVO though , booked a trip 2 days ago , will probably be among the 0-2's but I don't care it should be a blast.

It is interesting. Especially that street fighter signups have gone up so much while the backlash against the game continues. Is it a case of no such thing as bad press?

It is interesting. Especially that street fighter signups have gone up so much while the backlash against the game continues. Is it a case of no such thing as bad press?

I think it's just that Capcom did everything they could to cater to the people who would be willing to go to tournaments, and a lot to turn off the average consumer.

So in a sense, their strategy partially worked---they got the tourney-goer to buy into SFV as a tournament game, but they overestimated how much the average consumer were willing to follow.

ethomaz

Banned

The big prize is related to number of registrations... less registrations = lower prize.

Only the bonus is fixed by Capcom.

Kumubou

You are aware that Evo has run games that have never been released in the US, right? That's going to give you a player/copies sold rate of undefined. Hell, this is Tekken 7's second year and that game will not be available for anyone to purchase here until next year.

At some level, it comes down to how many people care about competitive play for a game and that is something that can not be faked, regardless of how much money publishers throw at a game.

I think it's just that Capcom did everything they could to cater to the people who would be willing to go to tournaments, and a lot to turn off the average consumer.

So in a sense, their strategy partially worked---they got the tourney-goer to buy into SFV as a tournament game, but they overestimated how much the average consumer were willing to follow.
Capcom's idea to chase the more dedicated player base is not entirely without merit, as dedicated players would presumably be able to willing to buy in at a much more frequent rate and leading to a significantly higher average revenue per user, so that it could make money even with a smaller player base.

The issue with that is that Capcom has so far bungled the online experience and content pipeline, so they were not making any money from their most dedicated players, either.

Season 1 was too limiting in mechanics. By the time iron galaxy had made their mark mid season 2, most people who were even remotely interested had Guilty gear, MKX And blazblue to choose from. I'm not saying they are comparable, but they are known and loved entities.

By the end of season 2 and Beginning of Season 3, Street fighter was out. (And pokken, if your into that sort of thing)

It's not a case that KI was a bad game, but as a new IP, it's time to shine was when it was the only kid on the block (bar a shitty port of injustice).

With KOF round the corner and Tekken confirmed to be coming soon, the only people who really are gonna put serious time into KI are people who are already converted. It's not gonna get much bigger than it already is, no matter what happens at this point.

I guess I just feel like the game is SOOO GOOD and has such a large cross over in terms of mechanics with SF and capcom games in general, that there should be more people that jumped on it.

I guess I just feel like the game is SOOO GOOD and has such a large cross over in terms of mechanics with SF and capcom games in general, that there should be more people that jumped on it.

It would probably be bigger if it wasn't exclusive to the less popular console.

Yea it's on PC now (more than a year late) but a.) Windows 10 only and b.) PC is most definitely less popular than PS4 for fighting games

Crayon

I wonder how much we each have to spend on dlc and passes for Capcom to be happy with it? I wonder how they view it's worth as a community initiative with indirect benefits?

Maybe we'll get more insight some day.

N4Us

Marvel still gets a better turnout than Tekken! Bet the console release will change that. Anyone know what Tekken's biggest numbers ever were?

Might be the biggest at EVO so far. Aside from T7 last year, TTT2 had about 350 in 2013 and 257 in 2014. Can't find stats of earlier years.

Doomshine

It's a Capcom fighting game at EVO, even SFxT had a lot of entrants no matter how much everyone involved tried to sabotage that game.

RocBase

in legit awe. amazing numbers.

good luck to the whole evo crew, hoping things go as smoothly as feasibly possible

Fitts

Piss easy herp derp into 50% damage making it that everyone and their mom has a chance beating daigo.

What? The game is more honest than SFIV ever was and I don't think I really have to go into the numerous reasons why. V is also closer to classic SF (II, III, Alpha) with IV being an outlier.

Crayon

easier? yes

more fun to play? eh

more fuck to watch? SHIT NO

more fuck to watch?

edward_scissorhands_yes.gif

I'm a total hack but I like it. :3

Producer

I dont mind them creating stages that have neat stuff like waves coming in even if they get banned. But it sucks cause beach stage has some good music. And them cameos

I'm kind of imagining Chun-li's c.mp being obscured by waves as well, at least where the fist is. And you could probably only barely make out some sweeps or low attacks in general. Seems like it could be problematic overall.

HardRojo

I'm kind of imagining Chun-li's c.mp being obscured by waves as well, at least where the fist is. And you could probably only barely make out some sweeps or low attacks in general. Seems like it could be problematic overall.

Yeah, Chun's cr.MP is hard to see. Hopefully they come up with a workaround so the stage is tournament ready, it'd be a shame to miss its amazing theme.

Dahbomb

oh my god

why would they make a stage like that
Same company that made the Volcanic Rim stage and Nighttime Harrier stage in UMVC3.

hqdefault.jpg

The projectiles in the background distracted because they kinda looked like character or assists firing something off. The dark background made black Sentinel, Wesker, Viewtiful Joe, Vergil etc. camouflage in the background.

.la1n

You guys just don't understand Capcom's artistic vision. On a serious note: I'm beginning to wonder if any portion of their SF team communicate with each other. Surely the guys designing the core fighting engine would flip shit seeing the background and effects guys putting in stuff like the beach stage.

VariantX

You guys just don't understand Capcom's artistic vision. On a serious note: I'm beginning to wonder if any portion of their SF team communicate with each other. Surely the guys designing the core fighting engine would flip shit seeing the background and effects guys putting in stuff like the beach stage.

I agree. Its like they designed that stage without having a checklist of rules that stages must follow. Designing a stage that obscures and distorts projectiles and player's feet is a huge no-no.

Numb

You are aware that Evo has run games that have never been released in the US, right? That's going to give you a player/copies sold rate of undefined. Hell, this is Tekken 7's second year and that game will not be available for anyone to purchase here until next year.

4746-7b1eb31f36a28368021e50729173721b.jpg

Renekton

IIRC the stage designs got outsourced to Malaysia or Singapore.

Well, at least Capcom is trying to stretch a dollar.

"Seriously, I'm trying to remember another Fighter stage that had that, I think it was VF4 and Tekken 6, iirc? With the snow?"

Virtua Fighter 5 has a stage with snow that covers players feet, but it doesn't obscure anything. It flattens when players walk/fall on it, and even if it didn't, VF animations wouldn't result in the same problems as some of the more low-profile SF Animations.

Top Bottom