• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

JWong

Banned
Hey dudes sorry for the stupid question but are the Official Sony Playstation 3 wireless headphones good enough?

I can get them on a clearance.

EDIT: talking about these:

0RHIz.jpg

They are FUCKING BOSS!

Really loving them when I need to play games in the quiet. Played Uncharted 3 all the way through in a single play session with them on. Didn't feel uncomfortable.

I even used them playing BF3 on the PC. Works like a charm on PC.

Gaspode_T

I've been using Turtle Beach 7.1 Wireless EarForce headphones for my 360 the last few weeks and I have nothing but good things to say about them. It's nearly life changing being able to play games with such awesome audio and be totally wireless at the same time. I was actually playing Rock Band 3 pro keyboard last night with these and you can hear the music so clearly it's insane. They basically cost as much as a console themselves so not a cheap item to buy but I think they are worth it if you have the bucks to drop.

TekDragon

Banned
I can second the vote on the Audio Technica ATH A900's. Great audiophile quality headphone.

After it broke (after 6 years of solid use) I decided to replace it with a headset my buddy recommended: the Logitech G-35 7.1 surround sound headset.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O5CCQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Honestly, I like this even better. It's amazingly comfortable, has 3 headpads you can choose from, and the audio in games is insane. I can tell EXACTLY where an enemy shot is coming from.

CozMick

Banned
I'd like to point out that I have made a monumental mistake in purchasing the AX-Pro headset. (the newer 1.5 model with the volume wheel and 1 power supply)

£125 for the cheapest made piece of shit I have ever owned.

3 fucking pairs in 12 days due to a shitty in-line control box that never fucking worked and speaker drivers that only work when they want too. On top of that the sound kept cutting out on BF3.

Buyers remorse indeed, contacted Amazon and got them to refund me and I bought the Sony virutal 7.1 headset instead.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
OK, I've gone over the past coule pages of this thread, and I don't see anyone with quite the same set up that I have.

I've got my PS3, 360, and PC all connected via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver, and then a single HDMI carrying video out to my HDTV. What's the recommended setup that would allow me to use a headset with a mic on all of these systems with a minimal amount of unplugging/re-plugging any time I play a different platform.

I'd like wireless, but would be willing to go with wired in order to eliminate hiss, as long as I can sit on my couch that is about 12 feet away from my television/media tower with a decent amount of slack in the cabling.

Currently I have a Sennheiser HDR-130 wireless headset, but the only setup that I've found that works is plugging the wireless base station into the front headphone jack on my receiver. I find the sound quality to be generally good, although I regularly get wireless hissing that I find difficult to eliminate, despite not having any other devices on the 900mhz frequency range. I'm also lacking a mic with the HDR-130 setup.

Priority of systems, based on my use would be:
1) PC
2) 360
3) PS3

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have a pair of 595's what is the best way to hook them up to my PC and 360? I used to have a JVC SU-DH1 but it broke a month or so ago :(

I can second the vote on the Audio Technica ATH A900's. Great audiophile quality headphone.

After it broke (after 6 years of solid use) I decided to replace it with a headset my buddy recommended: the Logitech G-35 7.1 surround sound headset.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O5CCQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Honestly, I like this even better. It's amazingly comfortable, has 3 headpads you can choose from, and the audio in games is insane. I can tell EXACTLY where an enemy shot is coming from.
You were using the closed headphones? How much more comfortable is the headset compared to them? I have a pair of AD900s that I use at home paired with JVC SUDH1 and for general listening. I thought about using the A700 when I am out of the house but I couldn't stand them because of how uncomfortable they were. I actually got a pair of AD700s to use on the go because of how much better Audio Technica open headphones are.

TekDragon

Banned
You were using the closed headphones? How much more comfortable is the headset compared to them? I have a pair of AD900s that I use at home paired with JVC SUDH1 and for general listening. I thought about using the A700 when I am out of the house but I couldn't stand them because of how uncomfortable they were. I actually got a pair of AD700s to use on the go because of how much better Audio Technica open headphones are.

I can't stand open headphones, so I don't know how the comparison is to open. The G35 is actually more comfortable, believe it or not. Logitech nailed the form factor.

I never had ear or head fatigue in all the 6 years I used the A900 or the 6 months I've used the G35s.

I only get closed circum-aural headphones. They go around the ears, not on them. It's extremely comfortable and removes the majority of outside noise interference.

Gaspode_T

Who is this in response to? If to me, I appreciate the suggestion, but I mentioned that I would like a mic included in my next setup.

All I can say is that I'm sure I wouldn't use my headphones as much if they weren't wireless and they have a mic you can connect by hooking up this thin cable to the controller. I wasn't expecting audiophile level, but somehow they exceeded my expectation in sound quality...I am actually using them to watch TV shows on Netflix and it's blowing my mind how nice it sounds.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KSPKRS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If these are outdated today I paid too much for them at Fry's but <shrug> The only trick is you have to have this cable to hook it up to the 20GB or Elite systems.

So I've got myself a Turtle Beach DSS w/ Sennheiser HD555 connected to the optical port of my Asus P6X58D Premium, but I'm not getting any kind of surround sound. Everything from my PC comes out as stereo. Windows sound test doesn't recognize it as surround, neither does my Realtek HD Audio Manager. I've tried playing TF2 with 5.1 setup, but there's nothing from that either.

Nothing on the web is being useful at the moment, so any kind of guidance or advice would be appreciated.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Any alternatives to the Astro Gaming 5.8 wireless mixamp?

I got headphones, but want a wireless solution. The 5.8 is out of stock and seemingly so for at least a couple weeks.

deduce

Any alternatives to the Astro Gaming 5.8 wireless mixamp?

I got headphones, but want a wireless solution. The 5.8 is out of stock and seemingly so for at least a couple weeks.
A month later and these are still out of stock. Have the 5.8 been discontinued? I was really looking forward to getting a wireless mixamp.

NervousXtian

A month later and these are still out of stock. Have the 5.8 been discontinued? I was really looking forward to getting a wireless mixamp.

Astro obviously doesn't want my money. They posted on Facebook that they are not going to sell the mix amps outside of the bundles. I'm disappointed, they had said earlier to just wait a few weeks.

Now I have to rethink which way I'm going.

deduce

Astro obviously doesn't want my money. They posted on Facebook that they are not going to sell the mix amps outside of the bundles. I'm disappointed, they had said earlier to just wait a few weeks.

There was a community guy on their forums that was saying it was just out of stock today, but I haven't seen their Facebook post about it. It's odd since they sell it as a standalone on their UK site. When you order the bundle they send you the headset and mixamp in separate packaging, I wonder if you could order the bundle and just return the headset?
I'm actually looking to sell my Mixamp 5.8 TX if either of you are interested. Shoot me a PM with an offer if you're interested
I would if I didn't have a $100 store credit to their store that's set to expire at the end of March. :-/

NervousXtian

Just ordered the Turtle Beach X41's from Amazon.. I had a $21 promo discount from a pricing error the other day, so it was $68.99 for them shipped.

Thought, why not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Big cluster IMO. I think it's obvious they make a higher margin on the headsets and bundles, and to many people were buying competitor headphones or headsets.

I know a ton of people have just bought their mix amps, and I wonder if this will come back to bite them in the ass. I foresee more people forging their products verses buying a bundle.

rukland

Ok got one side of the puzzle solved thanks joeygreco1985, now with my limited budget I need to look at headphones. What should I be looking at with a sub $200 budget?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I never thought I'd care for something like this but I got the Turtle Beach DPX21's for 100 on ebay. WORTH EVERY PENNY. Mic quality is the clearest I've ever heard out of any headset. It's comfortable and that is important since you may be wearing this for hours at times. The surround comes out excellently and it thumps a lot like real surround does. I would like to type a 1000 word write up but the headphones do more than get the job done and there is a very long cord for hassle free use. I would not get the wireless version only due the reception issues and other interference things that come along with that but the wired ones get my full seal of approval.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a new headset. Currently I'm leaning towards the Playstation branded wireless headset but I figured I'd check here just in case.

I use my current headset across my PC and PS3 (hooked into my display/monitor for the PS3, which is a Samsung T240HD) so it's replacement needs to be compatible with each. Though I don't care about having a mic for the PS3, the headset has to have a built in mic for use on my PC. I'm pretty much set on the PS3 headset, but I've had USB ones in the past that haven't been great. Just wondering if there's something around the same price point that I've missed, basically.

TLDR: Thinking about buying the PS3 branded 7.1 headset, are there alternatives that are around the same price/quality I've missed. I'm in the UK, if that matters.

I just order them a few days ago. Was on the fence as most reviews said it mess with wifi but I'll give them a try.

I have yet to have any interference from any divices. This headset is simply the best thing to hear your games/movies in. Sometimes it's too good that I feel like I'm cheating in the games I play because of the clearity and awesome directional sound you will hear from these headsets.

WiCkEd_Co

I have yet to have any interference from any divices. This headset is simply the best thing to hear your games/movies in. Sometimes it's too good that I feel like I'm cheating in the games I play because of the clearity and awesome directional sound you will hear from these headsets.

Had a little bit of static so I hop on my router and changed the wireless channel and its all good. So far I'm liking them but I love deep bass and these seem to lack that punch, don't get me wrong they have bass but not super big bass but I suppose too much bass would drown out the smaller surround sounds.

I'm still tweaking my EQ on my laptop.

aro52

I've been using the Astro A40 Wireless System for nearly a year now. The sound quality is fantastic, and they are extremely comfortable. I've put in many loooong sessions of Battlefield, Skyrim, Mass Effect, etc, and never quit because of headphone discomfort.

My one annoyance with them, is that they aren't "truly wireless". The headphones are actually wired, and just plug into the small wireless RX unit (which talks to a receiver box). A lot of times, I'll somehow end up sitting on the cable, then shift my head the opposite way, only to have the cable yank my head. I've also had the cable catch on things while up and about, refreshing my beverage between BF rounds. There is a quick disconnect, but it's not really light enough, and rarely releases. I strongly considered selling it for the truly wireless Official Sony Headset, but then the Vita came out. Since I can now use the same comfy Astro headset with my Vita, I've stuck with it. If only Sony could get 2 of their own products to work together! (Vita + Official Wireless Headset would be awesome!)

anddo0

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and Audio-Technica M50. In addition to the original PS3 bluetooth. I use my Logitech Z5500 as an amp.

My question is: are the official Sony headset worth it?
Is the virtual surround sound a step up from what I already have?

I'm looking for a recommendation for a new headset. Currently I'm leaning towards the Playstation branded wireless headset but I figured I'd check here just in case.

I use my current headset across my PC and PS3 (hooked into my display/monitor for the PS3, which is a Samsung T240HD) so it's replacement needs to be compatible with each. Though I don't care about having a mic for the PS3, the headset has to have a built in mic for use on my PC. I'm pretty much set on the PS3 headset, but I've had USB ones in the past that haven't been great. Just wondering if there's something around the same price point that I've missed, basically.

TLDR: Thinking about buying the PS3 branded 7.1 headset, are there alternatives that are around the same price/quality I've missed. I'm in the UK, if that matters.
There really isn't anything in the same price range as that Sony headset that can compete, at least in terms of PS3 functionality. I can't comment on PC functionality though.

There really isn't anything in the same price range as that Sony headset that can compete, at least in terms of PS3 functionality. I can't comment on PC functionality though.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen anything that can really compare either, and will be buying the Sony headset later this week. 90% of use will be on the PC, so I'll do my best to post some impressions after a while with them.

I just got a USB audio interface yesterday. It's ridiculous the difference.

I'd say the jump from $40 Koss to Sennheiser HD 555s is like 20% of the jump from my Creative Soundblaster to a real USB interface.

Ianan

I really need a new headset, my Turtlebeach PX21's left earcup is dying.
I would really like a wireless headset with a good microphone (I like to record videos now and then) and for them to be compatible with my iPhone for music but also look good (Detachable mic atleast). Also good sound quality obviously.

So any good suggestions? I am currently very tempted by these atm http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071LFK92/

Just a quick edit: They dont need to be compatible with consoles, I am primary a PC gamer and barely play on consoles.

Chaplain

So any good suggestions? I am currently very tempted by these atm http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071LFK92/

I have been using the Tritton AX Pro's since 2009 and they are by far the best gaming headphones. Even better than the Astro A40's (I have been using the Astro A40's at work for over 9 months). I prefer the AX Pro's amazing bass and 5.1 sound over the Astro's sound.

The only thing the Astro's have over the Pro's is that you can plug your mp3 player into the box and mix it with the game audio.

Mystery

I have been using the Tritton AX Pro's since 2009 and they are by far the best gaming headphones. Even better than the Astro A40's (I have been using the Astro A40's at work for over 9 months). I prefer the AX Pro's amazing bass and 5.1 sound over the Astro's sound.

The only thing the Astro's have over the Pro's is that you can plug your mp3 player into the box and mix it with the game audio.

While the audio quality is fantastic, everyone sounds like a robot with the AX Pros. My set's mic broke off awhile back, though. The little plastic piece you screw in is stuck there. Been wanting to get some A40's for awhile, but haven't got around to pulling the trigger just yet.

Ianan

What is GAFs general consensus on Turtlebeach's? They seem to get a lot of hate on the internet for their quality but everything popular gets hated on pretty much. Is that the case or do they genuinely seem that bad?

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have any experience with the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headphones? Want to get rid of my Creative Soundblaster Tactic 3D Omega set since they physically hurt my ears after about 30 mins with my glasses on. I really liked my old pair of H51As but the bass wasn't up to snuff. Supposedly these are better but I'd like some recommendations before purchasing:

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-2000-wireless-7-1-gaming-headset.html

2000_right_2.png

TeegsD

Just got the Plantronics Gamecom 780. These things are absolutely beautiful. Been using them to listen to the Euro games too and the sound is so nice.

Bit of a bump here, but I'm looking for some advice before a purchase:

I am planning to buy (but don't currently own) a nice $300-$400 pair of headphones, and I want to use them for both listening to music at home and gaming. So I thought I'd pick up an Astro Mixamp, and use my Klipsch in-ears for the time being.

Is the Astro still my best (only?) choice?

I see they don't sell the wireless version anymore without the A-40's, which is a bummer because I'd really prefer wireless. But I can live with wires, especially if it will improve the sound quality.

If I use a cable extender for my headphones, is that going to degrade the quality significantly? Where I (sometimes) sit is about 8 feet from my TV (and where the mixamp would be) and my headphone cable definitely will not reach that far.

Edit: Xbox 360 BTW

Top Bottom