• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

sk3tch

endlessflood said:
I'll be very interested to see what they're like, as you say the DICE audio guys are the best in the business anything they think highly of must be good. With the PS3 option at your link above, I see they add a Turtle Beach USB sound card for the chat side of things, I just hope it doesn't introduce the hissing that people complain about with the EarForce DSS.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit more gunshy but I will go through it for the "greater good" - I can always sell on eBay. Heh.

A bad review:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=341845

gotee12

mr stroke said:
Returned my DSS and Turtle Beach headset because of the hissing. Its really bad. A lot of reviewers on Amazon experienced the same thing.
I had the same hiss whenever I plugged up my DSS to the PC (I'm assuming your hiss is coming from the PC and not a console). I resolved my issue by plugging the headset's mic usb jack directly into the PC and then plugging the DSS usb cable (that it gets power from) into a wall outlet via a usb power adapter.

The hiss went away completely once I got power to the DSS via something other than my PC's usb jack. Now I'm loving my Turtle Beach DPX-21's.

I received my Sennheiser HD555... wow. Great pair of headphones for the price. I love the open design. This is exactly what I wanted. I wanted to be able to hear things in the apartment like a knock on the door or dryer buzzer going off. My UM2 in ear monitors had full sound isolation so I couldn't hear shit. Great balance and sound stage on 555 so far. Very happy.

HUGE!!! Difference with the Turtle Beach DSS. I think my UM2's have too low impedance or something makes them incompatible with the DSS because the 555's have zero hiss on my DSS, yeay!!

The pairing of the HD55's and the DSS is brilliant. I am running the 5.1 optical output of my PS3 directly to the DSS and it is fantastic. Played a lot of GT5 last night and the soundstage and surround effects were very solid. Not as perfect as true 5.1 but damn close I must say. The ability to adjust the bass and volume on the DSS is great and I was able to give the HD555's a little more richness in the low end by using a little of the bass adjustment on the DSS.

I definitely change what I said. My setup was incompatible somehow.

Turtle Beach DSS + Sennheiser HD555 = Very solid surround headphone setup. I don't even miss my Logitech 5.1 setup anymore.

PS - The sound leakage from the Sennheiser 555 is incredibly over exagerated by people. It must be from people who are part deaf and turn up their headphones to excessive levels because at even the comfortable limits of loud, the outside sound bleed was the equivalent of a pair of apple earbuds playing loud. I can see why an airplane or or library would not be ideal, but for regular use, the bleed is minimal.

gutterboy44 said:
I received my Sennheiser HD555... wow. Great pair of headphones for the price. I love the open design. This is exactly what I wanted. I wanted to be able to hear things in the apartment like a knock on the door or dryer buzzer going off. My UM2 in ear monitors had full sound isolation so I couldn't hear shit. Great balance and sound stage on 555 so far. Very happy.

HUGE!!! Difference with the Turtle Beach DSS. I think my UM2's have too low impedance or something makes them incompatible with the DSS because the 555's have zero hiss on my DSS, yeay!!

The pairing of the HD55's and the DSS is brilliant. I am running the 5.1 optical output of my PS3 directly to the DSS and it is fantastic. Played a lot of GT5 last night and the soundstage and surround effects were very solid. Not as perfect as true 5.1 but damn close I must say. The ability to adjust the bass and volume on the DSS is great and I was able to give the HD555's a little more richness in the low end by using a little of the bass adjustment on the DSS.

I definitely change what I said. My setup was incompatible somehow.

Turtle Beach DSS + Sennheiser HD555 = Very solid surround headphone setup. I don't even miss my Logitech 5.1 setup anymore.

PS - The sound leakage from the Sennheiser 555 is incredibly over exagerated by people. It must be from people who are part deaf and turn up their headphones to excessive levels because at even the comfortable limits of loud, the outside sound bleed was the equivalent of a pair of apple earbuds playing loud. I can see why an airplane or or library would not be ideal, but for regular use, the bleed is minimal.

Just ordered the 555's on your recommendation. I was looking for 5.1 headphones, but I am guessing these hooked up to my onkyo receiver will do just fine for late night gaming.

mr stroke

Anyone looking for a cheap soundcard solution for 5.1 PC headsets. I just picked up these -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041OMWNY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Creative Sound Blaster 3D Sigma headset-$54

the headset has this attached

J1N8k.jpg

which acts as a plug and play soundcard using any headset and mic. The THX surround sounds surprisingly awesome. Better than the Ear Force DSS I was using and no hissing!!!!!!

I moved to a new flat and probably have to ditch my (kinda shitty though) 5.1 system to please my neighbors.
I can't really live w/o surround sound in movies and games anymore, so I want to buy a 5.1 headphone (that switch would also block any sounds from neighbors at the same time ;P ).
Sucks a bit when you have people visiting and you want them to have that cinema experience, but at least my TV has very good sound.

Anyway:

I think I will choose the Astro A40 2011 system but I have a few questions. Would be nice if someone can answer them.

- How does Dolby Headphone perform in comparison to real 5.1 on a (moderate/low tier) surround system and to actual 5.1 headphones? I don't want to be disappointed in the very surround sound effect I spend so much money for...
Though I'm prepared that nothing in a headphone will replace my room/body-shaking subwoofer.

I would connect my PS3 (or HDTV, have to check first if it transmits the raw DD data) via optical cable and limit the output to DD5.1. My PC (only stereo) would be connected via 3.5 mm jack to the MixAmp directly or the HDTV (and the HDTV either optical or coaxial)

- What to I need to get voice chat on the PS3 at the same time? I heard there a different models of the MixAmp and they require different cables? Also, do I need a converter cable or a normal USB cable?

- I can get the Astro A40 2011 for 230 € from a local website. I guess that's not too bad considering ordering from the US for $ 250 would result in some problems with customs (?).
- Would it be cheaper to buy the MixAmp with another headphone that offers the exact same features (or even more)? The A40 headset still features high level sound quality though, right?

- Are there any more differences between the wireless and the normal headset? Also, why does it offer me to add the rechargeable battery for the non-wireless version?! Is that for the MixAmp, does it not have a power supply? (can't it use the PS3 via USB?)
- How do you power the wireless headset itself btw.? And is wireless worth the 30€+ or is it more hassle as you have one more device that needs to be charged?

- Same for the MixAmp, is the different between the normal and the 5.8 MixAmp just the wireless feature or is there more to it? It lists different features... for example the normal MixAmp lists the feature of connecting a mp3 player to stream music at the same time, the wireless one does not list this. (btw does this work with PS3 game sound + PS3 game chat?).

- Final question: Instead of using the PS3 voice chat, can I connect a PC to e.g. stream in voice chat from Skype while playing PS3 games?

DCX

DCX
Ok here is my challenge to headphone GAF.

I have a Denon AVR 591, it has zero optical outputs. None :( I am looking to buy a Turtle Beach PX5 and the unit accepts one input and has one output ( optical )

Here's the challenge, how do i get 5.1 out from three devices into the headset and still have it operate in the headset?

DirecTV, PS3 are connected to the receiver via HDMI sending out a 5.1 signal. The XBOX 360, for stupids reasons, doesn't send sound via HDMI so i have it sending video through HDMI and sound through optical...i also have a HTPC sending a signal via optical but i'm not concerned as much with the PC but if you had a solution for all it would be great.

I currently use an optical switch box to handle the 360 and PC sound.

I'm wondering if i had to buy another switchbox and have the DirecTV, PS3 and XBOX all send through one signal and than the one output from the Px5 box to the receiver. Thats what i figured. My issue is, can the DirecTV and PS3 output sound through HDMI and optical at the same time?

product.asp

This is what i already use, and may need another to make all this work.

I may have to ditch the HDMI sound output to truly make it work, and if i had to i will..

DCX

Alot of times I game on my PS3 and chat with my friends through Mumble on PC so we can have next to no latency issues. Which Headsets would allow this? Would this be possible though the AX720 or Astro Mixamp? How about any cheaper options? This will be my first headset, so I'm leaning towards the AX720's since I have a decent amount of credit at Bestbuy.com. Let me know which which of these devices will allow this kind of setup plz! Thanks in advance!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random question - I have the AX720s but I've started to notice a lot of movies now only support DTS.

What's a good but moderately priced DTS 5.1 headphone that I can use on the PS3 for watching movies?

DanielJr82

I will also vouch in for the Turtle Beach DSS 7.1 headphone amp, amazing little gadget there. I use it with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm, the bass is incredible and the highs are really crisp. Suffers a bit in the mid range, though. I also use the X11's for whenever I need chat functionality in online games.

Darkone said:
I have a problem decieding headphones for PC games, Logitech G930 VS Corsair CA-HS1.

I got a pair of Logitech G930's and I couldn't be happier.

I am not an audiophile though. I am happy with 'good' sound, and I've never been one to be able to tell very easily what is better about one sound quality from another.

I came from a pair of Beyerdynamic DTS-231's.

I upgraded (some people may call it a downgrade actually) because I wanted the wireless functionality of the G930 and honestly, to my ears, the G930's are better sounding, and they also really muffle out the surrounding sound better than any other headset I've ever worn before. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, but it's pretty good when I'm playing games with them, having wireless headphones is an absolute dream as well. If anything I would say they could use slightly more padding on the ears but that is not to say that they are lacking in padding at all, I just wouldn't mind them having a bit more... they are very comfortable as they are however, much more so than the Beyer's and they don't make my ears feel hot like the Beyers.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Are there any 5.1 headphones for ps3 that allow use for surround sound movies/music as well as games? built in mic would be bonus too.

Darkone

Got me the Tritton AX Pro, they sound great so far but i am having a little trouble really recognizing the surround sound seperation, played on the PC Crysis 2 with them and i tried to recognize like bullets moving from front to rear speakers.

Anyone know how to set them up better for maximum surround performance??

Arcipello

OK! so im thinking of getting on of these Turtle Beach DSS 7.1 gizmos to go with my HD555 headset.... do i need to buy extra cables etc to set it up correctly or do they come bundled with it??? i keep seeing people mention optical sound cables, are they needed? ive never used them before so i checked the back of my pc and it looks kinda like this ( though different angle) is the optical sound output the one to the right of the purple keyboard connector?????

06230243667l.jpg

Theonik

Arcipello said:
OK! so im thinking of getting on of these Turtle Beach DSS 7.1 gizmos to go with my HD555 headset.... do i need to buy extra cables etc to set it up correctly or do they come bundled with it??? i keep seeing people mention optical sound cables, are they needed? ive never used them before so i checked the back of my pc and it looks kinda like this ( though different angle) is the optical sound output the one to the right of the purple keyboard connector?????
The one with the flap right of the purple connector yes.

Arcipello said:

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2008/01/06230243667l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yep, that gray thing is the "trap door" that opens when you insert and optical cable. Run that to your DSS and you are good to go. You will likely have to enable the optical port.

RS4-

Darkone said:
I have a problem decieding headphones for PC games, Logitech G930 VS Corsair CA-HS1.

Yeah I'm stuck in the same boat. I like how the HS1 is wireless but where I'm standing, the 930 is twice the price of the HS1 :|

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Guys I need help. Nothing complicated and I'll try to make it easier: living in Europe I'd like to order - because of the cheaper price - a TRITTON AX720 headset from amazon.com; do you know if that product comes with an universal power supply adapter? I'm speaking of the output power, being US 110v and some country in Europe 220-40v I want to know if the TRITTON provides a power adapter with 110-240v or US 100v only.

thx everyone!

Possibly silly or prohibitively expensive, but are there any 5.1 or 7.1 wireless headphones that will work on PC, PS3 + Bluray and 360? I can get away with no 360 support, but I'd like the others.

Last weekend I said fuck it and bought the Astro A40 2011 Edition System (non-wireless)...

I'm very happy now. The surround effect is of course not as defined as with a surround system, but the sound quality (clearness, depth etc.) is actually better than my cheap 5.1 system I had at my old place. Tested it with Killzone 3 and I said wow when the intro music kicked in.
I'm kinda surprised how much bass you can get (never had headphones at this price range), even though I will miss my subwoofer for getting the bass on your whole body/room.

However, it's really awesome to play games/watch movies really loud (at night etc.) w/o worrying about disturbing your neighbors (or hearing them ;) ).

Comfort is great, you don't even notice the weight of the headphones after a while.

Feels so, SOOO good to have loud, quality surround sound back in my life (even though not available at movie nights with friends, but who cares, foreveralone.gif).

oh and bonus points for being able to connect my mp3-player to get ingame custom music in any PS3 game.

SolidusDave said:
Last weekend I said fuck it and bought the Astro A40 2011 Edition System (non-wireless)...

However, it's really awesome to play games/watch movies really loud (at night etc.) w/o worrying about disturbing your neighbors (or hearing them ;) ).

I heard/read that Astro amps don't decode surround sound for movies very well. Care to comment? Also does the version you have decode dts?

Para bailar La Bomba said:
I heard/read that Astro amps don't decode surround sound for movies very well. Care to comment? Also does the version you have decode dts?

Nope, just DD. So with the PS3 via optical it's DD5.1

I've yet to try it with some movies, will report back.

Vire

Hey folks, I'm looking for a gaming headset in the $150 range and audio quality is the most important factor. Hissing noises really really bother me, so I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction.

360/PC compatible.

Is there any comfortable way to chat with friends over Xbox Live with an astro mixamp combined with the Beyerdynamics DT 990 or do I have to buy one of astro's official headsets as well?

zulfate

ok so i just bought a new computer, and i would like to buy a good comfy headset with a mic attachment and with a digital optical cable....any recommendations? im thinking $150 should be a decent price range correct?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have the Astro A40s and they are solid surround headphones. Living in an apartment I don't mind having surround sound on during the day, but at night I'll switch to Astros. Plus I chat a lot, so any headphones must have a mic.

Darkone

I have the Tritton AX PRO, i saw on reviews and on forums that you really feel the surround sound, bullets moving from fron to rear speakers, i sadly having a hard time noticing it, is there any configuration i need to do that i missed??

Hey dudes sorry for the stupid question but are the Official Sony Playstation 3 wireless headphones good enough?

I can get them on a clearance.

EDIT: talking about these:

0RHIz.jpg

StoppedInTracks said:
Hey dudes sorry for the stupid question but are the Official Sony Playstation 3 wireless headphones good enough?

I can get them on a clearance.

They are AMAZING.

PROS: Can be used on PC, voice/audio ratio control serves as a handy 'Mute all' function

CONS: Can't be used on small devices (ipod, phone) because it requires a USB dongle. Bluray movies lack surround sound.

MrPliskin

Banned
Can anyone tell me why my A40s + Mixamp have an electrical "hum" when I use them? Touching any of the inputs on the back of the mixamp (RCA / Coax) will stop it immediately. Any solutions?

Biff

OneMoreQuestion said:
They are AMAZING.

PROS: Can be used on PC, voice/audio ratio control serves as a handy 'Mute all' function

CONS: Can't be used on small devices (ipod, phone) because it requires a USB dongle. Bluray movies lack surround sound.
Yup just picked them up this weekend for Uncharted PS3 and BF3 PC.

So far so good. $100 is probably slightly more than their worth audio quality wise, but in terms of ease of use, they are THE ps3 solution right now. Couldn't be easier than a single USB dongle that transmits 7.1 surround.

Sony tech engineers are gods.

Darkatomz

MrPliskin said:
Can anyone tell me why my A40s + Mixamp have an electrical "hum" when I use them? Touching any of the inputs on the back of the mixamp (RCA / Coax) will stop it immediately. Any solutions?
Sounds like a grounding or EMI problem, there might not be much you can do.

Is it significant? I'm guessing that turning down the volume eases the problem, right?

Birbo

Been toying with the idea of getting a set of gaming headphones, even though I have a decent 5.1 set up and my family doesn't seem to mind the loud late-night noises. Part of me thinks the immersion factor would be nice, but I wonder how much I'd really use them. Does anyone else get at all weirded out not being able to hear the outside world while you have headphones on? :/

razgriz417 said:
Get whatever nice headphones you like and then pick this up for the mic

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319480171&sr=8-1

Im using a AudioTechnica ath-ad700
AD-700
+ the mic above

Does that mic work with the 360 and the PS3?

Also, is there any way at all to use the wireless PS3 headphones with the 360? Even just running the sound through the receiver (know the mic won't work)?

Hey, speaking of 5.1 sound thorugh headphones, hopefully on of you can help me out. i have a pair of AD-H700's and also a turtle beach force dss amp and although when use windows sound test and it shows 5.1 is working (the dolby light turns on), when I play a game it doesn't recognize it. Care to give me any tips on getting my 5.1 to work using win 7? Am I supposed to enable something I am not seeing? I am not entirely PC savvy so I know the error most likely lies on my end.

Rather than starting a new thread (or putting it in the OT thread) I figured I post in here since it's been bumped fairly recently.

Anyways, I'm looking for some voice chat-enabled headphones that can work on PS3 and 360. I've been looking at all of these Tritton, Turtle Beach and Astro headsets and I'm basically thinking I'm priced out of the Astros thanks to UK prices and the TBs and Trittons look like an expensive waste of time any way you swing it (I was looking at the AXPRO, D/PX21s and the PX5, FYI). Basically, I don't feel as though the reviews are universally gushing enough for me to drop £100-150 on headphones that might work, and I can't afford £250 for Astros at this point in time.

I've heard that having five hundred drivers shoved into each ear isn't so good, so I'm thinking - if it's all the same, is just worth getting a simple stereo headset? Will it actually be worth spending some money on to get it working on both consoles with chat support?

I've also been looking at getting the Sony Wireless Headset and then just buying a simple Stereo headset for the 360 separately, so if you guys have any suggestions for a cheaper single system set then let me know. Thanks!

zulfate

so headphone gaf im confused about whats a better purchase, going by what people are saying here this is what i have come up with

Sennheiser HD595 + mixamp pro

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 + mixamp pro

astro a40+ mixamp pro

i also have the turtlebeach DSS so if i dont need the mixamp then thats a plus, i am having a hard time really picking one out of these 3, but based off looks alone i like the black and white of the astro a40 as it will match with my pc case lol.

again thanks to all!

CozMick

Banned
Just picked up a pair of AX-Pro (new 1.5 version) for my PS3.

And say what you like about 5.1 vs Stereo within headphones, the difference is night and day.

They're uncomfortably fragile but my god the surround effect is second to none bar an actual home cinema.

Voice chat is crystal clear and it almost feels like cheating when playing the likes of BF3 and MW3.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just picked up a pair of AX-Pro (new 1.5 version) for my PS3.
And say what you like about 5.1 vs Stereo within headphones, the difference is night and day.
They're uncomfortably fragile but my god the surround effect is second to none bar an actual home cinema..

Have you tried a Mixamp/TurtleBeach DSS + HD 555/595s
Cuz if you are saying this headset will out do a pair of 595s then i think i just might purchase them.

Ive been floating with upgrading my HD448s and if AX-Pros are better than HD 595s then im sold.

How is the overall sound stage?...a quick review would be nice.

Top Bottom