• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

storl026

So I've decided to get Sennheiser HD595s and an Ear Force DSS, but I have some questions.

Right now, I have the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 hooked up to the television using HDMI-only, just using the television speakers. My television has an optical audio out port.

Does HDMI carry the same audio information as an optical audio port, so that I can hook up the headphone amp directly to the television's optical-audio out, or would it be better to hook up the amp individually to the consoles' optical-audio out ports?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
storl026 said:
So I've decided to get Sennheiser HD595s and an Ear Force DSS, but I have some questions.

Right now, I have the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 hooked up to the television using HDMI-only, just using the television speakers. My television has an optical audio out port.

Does HDMI carry the same audio information as an optical audio port, so that I can hook up the headphone amp directly to the television's optical-audio out, or would it be better to hook up the amp individually to the consoles' optical-audio out ports?
Possibly not. It may be that the optical out is only to carry sound from your internal tuner to an external amplifier. I think HDCP rules prevent daisy chaining of digital audio, so if you have multichannel audio coming into your TV, it'll only come out as stereo at best.

mrklaw said:
Possibly not. It may be that the optical out is only to carry sound from your internal tuner to an external amplifier. I think HDCP rules prevent daisy chaining of digital audio, so if you have multichannel audio coming into your TV, it'll only come out as stereo at best.
Wait, I'm confused.

A 360 has no optical out when connected via HDMI.

Lesiroth

Thanks, I guess that one's off my list, but I still need input on the other one. Is the Medusa atleast decent? Just some good audio, and a good sounding mic.

storl026

mrklaw said:

Thanks for the information!

FunnyBunny said:
Wait, I'm confused.

You need to buy a dongle to use in conjunction with the HDMI cable, or you can *ahem* mod the standard A/V cable so it will fit underneath the HDMI cable when plugged in.

Also, is there a limit to how long an optical audio cable can be before there are problems with the signal? I'm looking at a 25-foot connection, but a quick browse on Wiki says that anything over 20 feet can cause problems. Is that true?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FunnyBunny said:
Wait, I'm confused.

He had an optical out from his TV. Wanted to know if the audio would go over HDMi from 350 into TV, then passed through the TV optical out. The answer is probably not

Totobeni said:
Buy the Ear force DSS or Astro Mixamp and high quality Headphone (Audio Technica AD700 or Sennheiser HD595) and enjoy.

If you on low budget and can't afford these headphones with the Dolby Headphone amps at once, go with Tritton Ax720 or Ear Force DPX21 , both are cheaper than AXpro ( and in the future you can upgrade their headset and buy high end Audiophile headphone and use it with the AX720 or DSS Dolby Headphone amps if you like too)
Hmm... I'm already rocking HD595s.

I shall look into the Ear Force DSS / Astro Mixamp. Thanks!

iNvid02

on ps3/360 the astro a40 and mixamp combo can deliver 5.1 surround as long as its connected via optical or coaxial and the appropriate settings are checked.

on PC even if you connect via optical or coaxial to your PC it wont be 5.1 sound. it will just be upgrading the stereo sound. to get real 5.1 you need a sound card that supports dolby digital live. i recently bought the asus xonar essence stx and its pretty amazing.

God bless my Toshiba; its digital out outputs a Dolby Digital for use with a decoder OR receiver. I worried, for a moment, that I wouldn't get the most out of my newly ordered MixAmp and 555's.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iNvidious01 said:
on ps3/360 the astro a40 and mixamp combo can deliver 5.1 surround as long as its connected via optical or coaxial and the appropriate settings are checked.

on PC even if you connect via optical or coaxial to your PC it wont be 5.1 sound. it will just be upgrading the stereo sound. to get real 5.1 you need a sound card that supports dolby digital live. i recently bought the asus xonar essence stx and its pretty amazing.

if your motherboard supports dolby live, then the optical/coax should output 5.1 for games, and then the mixamp will work, right?

and what if you plug the mixamp in via USB (Seems the simplest way on PC) - that makes it an external sound card, but does that suppot 5.1?

Mindlog

hxcmuziq said:
Loving the idea of using the Sennheisers, what but do you guys suggest for voice chat on a 360 when doing this?
I just stretch the standard live headset over my Senn 580s. Works just fine.

woober

So I recently purchased a Sennheiser 598 and I love them. I use them with a X-Fi sound card. Would there be any reason for me to get an amp? I'd like to know if I'll hear significant improvements. I'll be mostly using these to play games with occasional music.

hxcmuziq

Banned
Mindlog said:
I just stretch the standard live headset over my Senn 580s. Works just fine.

I have a plantronics mic that works as an XBL headset, I could tape that to the headphones, but how do I get their voices in my ears?

My Sennheiser 555's arrived yesterday (Amazon was lightning quick on this one) and the sound quality is amazing.

I'm still waiting for the Mixamp (that comes Thursday) but the tests I ran on my laptop sounded great. The Dolby Surround test with a box of matches is especially noteworthy.

Music soud great too. I can see why the headphones are so highly regarded, and I'm not an audiophile by any strech.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FunnyBunny said:
My Sennheiser 555's arrived yesterday (Amazon was lightning quick on this one) and the sound quality is amazing.

I'm still waiting for the Mixamp (that comes Thursday) but the tests I ran on my laptop sounded great. The Dolby Surround test with a box of matches is especially noteworthy.

Music soud great too. I can see why the headphones are so highly regarded, and I'm not an audiophile by any strech.
Are you getting the wired astro mixamp? How do you plan to set it up - USB or something else?

mrklaw said:
Are you getting the wired astro mixamp? How do you plan to set it up - USB or something else?

I'm getting the Mixamp 5.8 (wireless) and will connect it to my TV via my set's digital audio out (which outputs Dolby for either an encoder like the Mixamp or a receiver).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've gone slightly mad trying to figure out how to get surround sound in games. How can it be so tricky?

I have onboard soundcards with 8 channel analog outs, optical and coax, but they only send out stereo for games (pass through DD for movies etc).

I have HDMI on my ATI card which will bitstream lossless Dolby TrueHD, but won't give me surround sound in games (although apparntly it will if I connect it to a receiver with LPCM decoding)

Even the astro mixamp needs 5.1 to work properly, so you still need dolby digital live support on your motherboard/soundcard.

I just ordered a xonar DG which I'll use with my 555s. I still have no idea how I'll get that audio into my TV which is connected via HDMI. hopefully it can pass the dolby headphone signal to the front panel for easy connection.

Does anyone know a good game or demo to test how Dolby Headphone works? Got a new sound card with that feature and I'm sure it's enabled, but if it makes a difference in any games so far I can't tell. It differentiates between left and right (though even that effect seems subdued) but if it's supposed to blow me away with how accurately it emulates full surround I'm not getting it. I'm using Sennheiser HD280s. I tested with Bioshock and Batman AA, and I know actual 5.1 works well with those games on my speaker system.

I'm primarily interested in a sound card for gaming purposes (paired with Sennheiser 555). So would a creative sound card be a better choice since it supports EAX and all that shiz? I know that the Xonar's are more highly regarded, but do their emulated EAX cause problems with games?

Edit: Does the Xonar DG come with a headphone amp but the DX/D1 do not? Plus it's cheaper? Or do the DX/D1 do as well? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045JHJSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 I can't imagine the more expensive card not having an amp when the $25 card does, but I can't see an amp listed in the DX/D1's specifications. If the DX doesn't have an amp, could I always buy a mixamp or something in the future and connect it through the sound card?

mrklaw said:
I've gone slightly mad trying to figure out how to get surround sound in games. How can it be so tricky?

I have onboard soundcards with 8 channel analog outs, optical and coax, but they only send out stereo for games (pass through DD for movies etc).

I have HDMI on my ATI card which will bitstream lossless Dolby TrueHD, but won't give me surround sound in games (although apparntly it will if I connect it to a receiver with LPCM decoding)

Even the astro mixamp needs 5.1 to work properly, so you still need dolby digital live support on your motherboard/soundcard.

I just ordered a xonar DG which I'll use with my 555s. I still have no idea how I'll get that audio into my TV which is connected via HDMI. hopefully it can pass the dolby headphone signal to the front panel for easy connection.

I remember this making me go mad too. I thought i fixed it one day magically but then another time I hooked up my PC into the theater room suddenly it was in stereo... and couldn't fix it back. I might have forgotten to activate Dolby Digital Live and that's why though, I don't remember. Have you tried using optical and turning Dolby Digital Live on in the sound settings?

Darkatomz

MisterAnderson said:
I'm primarily interested in a sound card for gaming purposes (paired with Sennheiser 555). So would a creative sound card be a better choice since it supports EAX and all that shiz? I know that the Xonar's are more highly regarded, but do their emulated EAX cause problems with games?

Edit: Does the Xonar DG come with a headphone amp but the DX/D1 do not? Plus it's cheaper? Or do the DX/D1 do as well? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045JHJSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20 I can't imagine the more expensive card not having an amp when the $25 card does, but I can't see an amp listed in the DX/D1's specifications. If the DX doesn't have an amp, could I always buy a mixamp or something in the future and connect it through the sound card?
EAX is worthless these days as very very little games even use the feature. I've played a decent selection of games and haven't had any problems with my Xonar Essence ST.

Yes, the newer and cheaper DG has a headphone amp that the older DX and D1 cards do not. And no, I would not use a sound card and an external amp at the same time. Bi-amping is bad news bears.

Did you ever figure out what you're going to do with card positioning on your mobo? I'm surprised you're still considering the use of a sound card at the moment. That, and you're comparing two products in very different price categories.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sonar DG has headphone amp, but the impedance support isn't as good as the more expensive cards. No problem for the 555s though. The DG is also missing optical out and therefore live. But as i'm only using headphones and occasionally the TV speakers, that's fine.

Even though I have a wireless network PCI card, and my case isn't big (silverstone LC17), there shouldn't be any problems siting the sound card. I just want to keep it behind the GPU to not restrict airflow

As darkatomz said, EAX is pretty dead these days, so don't worry about that. Shows my age as that was cutting edge future tech last time I was PC gaming..

Misteranderson, you sorted or still looking? I ink you just need to grab a sonar DG, nice and simple

My brother bought the Tritton AX720s a few days ago, and I have some questions about them. Whenever he plays MW2, the Dolby Digital 5.1 light on the control box will turn on, but not the Pro Logic II light. Is this normal, or should they both be active at the same time? (I'm clueless about these sorts of things.)

For the record, he has a 360 Slim, and it's connected to the TV via HDMI. Hopefully I don't need any additional accessories to make it work. Also, I know I have to change the 360's sound settings, but do I also have to change the sound options in each individual game? If so, then should I always choose Dolby Digital 5.1, or stereo headphones, or something else? This thing is kind of confusing to me, and I just want to make sure my brother gets the most out of his purchase. :)

Thanks for the help, anyone.

vocab

just got hd555's. Have been wanting them forever, and it's a huge step up from my PC155's. I'm not audiophile, but I like them. I'm using onboard as well. I really have no idea what a better soundcard could net me.

Darkatomz said:
EAX is worthless these days as very very little games even use the feature. I've played a decent selection of games and haven't had any problems with my Xonar Essence ST.

Yes, the newer and cheaper DG has a headphone amp that the older DX and D1 cards do not. And no, I would not use a sound card and an external amp at the same time. Bi-amping is bad news bears.

Did you ever figure out what you're going to do with card positioning on your mobo? I'm surprised you're still considering the use of a sound card at the moment. That, and you're comparing two products in very different price categories.

I ordered the PCI-E x1 DX version of the sound card. I'm not sure if I made a mistake in getting the DX over the DG though... would I have been better getting the DG with the headphone amp? The reason I went with the DX is for the:

1) PCIE x1 slot so that in the event I get SLI, I won't have anything blocking the setup.

2) 7.1 speaker inputs so I can use my PC 5.1 surround speaker setup with the sound card when I'm not using my headphones.

Would I notice a huge improvement with Sennheiser 555's using the DG over the DX? An option that I have is to use my onboard sound for my 5.1 speaker setup/optical connections and use the DG exclusively for headphone use. Unless you are unable to keep the Realtek audio drivers when installing the Asus Xonar drivers. Do I have to delete the other drivers in order to use the Xonar or do I have a choice in the sound setup?

vocab said:
just got hd555's. Have been wanting them forever, and it's a huge step up from my PC155's. I'm not audiophile, but I like them. I'm using onboard as well. I really have no idea what a better soundcard could net me.

did you get them from the Amazon sale? They just recently had them for about $79

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Summary Man said:
My brother bought the Tritton AX720s a few days ago, and I have some questions about them. Whenever he plays MW2, the Dolby Digital 5.1 light on the control box will turn on, but not the Pro Logic II light. Is this normal, or should they both be active at the same time? (I'm clueless about these sorts of things.)

Thanks for the help, anyone.

That how it work and no you don't need anything else.

When Dolby Headphone (the logo that look like headphone) light on that mean the Ax720 Headset receive 5.1 audio from your Xbox 360. and you are fine to go

If Pro logic II light is on = games/movies that don't support DD5.1 ( like Way of the Samurai 3 LOL )or some netflix movies.

Summary Man said:
For the record, he has a 360 Slim, and it's connected to the TV via HDMI. Hopefully I don't need any additional accessories to make it work. Also, I know I have to change the 360's sound settings, but do I also have to change the sound options in each individual game? If so, then should I always choose Dolby Digital 5.1, or stereo headphones, or something else? This thing is kind of confusing to me, and I just want to make sure my brother gets the most out of his purchase. :)

It's already set to DD5.1 ( according to you) so you are fine, But if some games have extra in-game audio option stay on DD/Home Speaker Theater since their Stereo headphone setting are not optimized for 5.1/Dolby Headphone.

Infinity

I have the Razer Carcharias headphones that I use with my PC, but periodically hook them up to my Logitech Z5500 headphone jack for 360 and PS3 use. Problem is, the Z5500 headphone jack "brings it weak", so you have to turn the volume into the Boost zone in order to get substantial sound. (No kidding - there's a 'Boost' area beyond max volume - 5500 owners know what I mean).

Would the Ear Force DSS be a good purchase for hooking these cans up for console use? I'm sure it would be better than the Z5500 headphone jack. Thanks!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Infinity said:
I have the Razer Carcharias headphones that I use with my PC, but periodically hook them up to my Logitech Z5500 headphone jack for 360 and PS3 use. Problem is, the Z5500 headphone jack "brings it weak", so you have to turn the volume into the Boost zone in order to get substantial sound. (No kidding - there's a 'Boost' area beyond max volume - 5500 owners know what I mean).

Would the Ear Force DSS be a good purchase for hooking these cans up for console use? I'm sure it would be better than the Z5500 headphone jack. Thanks!

Not sure about the Z5500 but I heard bad things about speakers headphone's jacks ( most people say the sound is not good from them, sometime there will be noise or even can't drive some bigger headphone at all).

So yeah I think it's better for you to go for Ear Force DSS or the Mixamp for your consoles use since you will get actual 5.1 Dolby headphone and better audio quality overall.

Infinity

I agree. Makes no sense that you'd have to jack the volume all the way up past "Max" to get any noticeable sound.

Will look into the Ear Force DSS.

jett

D-Member
How does the Ear Force DSS manage to output 7.1? I thought you were limited to 5.1 with an optical cable...is it even gonna work with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:
How does the Ear Force DSS manage to output 7.1? I thought you were limited to 5.1 with an optical cable...is it even gonna work with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD?

It's not real 7.1 since it's use optical and not Hdmi, but it's Dolby Ex ( extra hidden track in some 5.1 tracks/DVDs-like the Star Wars DVDs- and it simulate them using Dolby headphone).

jett

D-Member
Totobeni said:
It's not real 7.1 since it's use optical and not Hdmi, but it's Dolby Ex ( extra hidden track in some 5.1 tracks/DVDs-like the Star Wars DVDs- and it simulate them using Dolby headphone).

I see. Even if a PS3 game like Uncharted outputs 7.1 LPCM the thingy won't regonize the two extra channels then?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:
I see. Even if a PS3 game like Uncharted outputs 7.1 LPCM the thingy won't regonize the two extra channels then?

yeah because you must connect it via optical, and then the game will set itself to DD5.1 and nothing else.

So unless the developers put the the Dolby Ex "hidden tracks " into the 5.1 audio it won't give you the 6.1/7.1 Dolby Ex tracks, just 5.1 Dolby headphone.

UrokeJoe

AwesomeSauce said:
Mod the HD 555's, but check out how they sound stock first see if you like them.

http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

I love my HD 555's. They work great with Dolby Headphone.

Wow that was easy! Just got my HD 555's on Saturday. I've enjoyed them so far, but something this easy why not give it a try.

Five minutes later no harm was done and they definitely don't sound any worse.
It would be easy enough to put the pads back if someone didn't like the difference.

Fuck. I didn't realize the Xonar DG is 5.1 for speakers as well and I have already ordered the more expensive Xonar DX since it has 7.1 (I only have 5.1 speakers though, but I didn't think the DG had 5.1 I thought it was made specifically for headphones use). Fucking amazon doesn't specify that fact but newegg does apparently. Can anyone vouch for the Xonar DX when compared to the DG? I'm a little confused on the quality of both. The DG is cheaper + has a headphone amp + 5.1. Is the only reason the DX is more expensive because it's 7.1? Because I don't even have 7.1 speakers, I only have 5.1. Is the sound quality an improvement despite it's lack of a headphone amp?

(I'm going to be pairing an HD555 with it when I'm not using my 5.1 surround speakers)

Darkatomz

MisterAnderson said:
Would I notice a huge improvement with Sennheiser 555's using the DG over the DX? An option that I have is to use my onboard sound for my 5.1 speaker setup/optical connections and use the DG exclusively for headphone use. Unless you are unable to keep the Realtek audio drivers when installing the Asus Xonar drivers. Do I have to delete the other drivers in order to use the Xonar or do I have a choice in the sound setup?
MisterAnderson said:
Fuck. I didn't realize the Xonar DG is 5.1 for speakers as well and I have already ordered the more expensive Xonar DX since it has 7.1 (I only have 5.1 speakers though, but I didn't think the DG had 5.1 I thought it was made specifically for headphones use). Fucking amazon doesn't specify that fact but newegg does apparently. Can anyone vouch for the Xonar DX when compared to the DG? I'm a little confused on the quality of both. The DG is cheaper + has a headphone amp + 5.1. Is the only reason the DX is more expensive because it's 7.1? Because I don't even have 7.1 speakers, I only have 5.1. Is the sound quality an improvement despite it's lack of a headphone amp?

(I'm going to be pairing an HD555 with it when I'm not using my 5.1 surround speakers)
First, you need to stop placing so much emphasis on the number of channels your sound setup has. Good audio processing and speakers on a 2.0 (yes, 2.0) will go a lot farther than these things half-assed, but in 5.1.

Although I have no hands-on experience comparing both, I've read in a few places (it's been a while... was it Guru3d??) that compare the DX to cards like the DS and DG. A few of the components are higher quality on the DG too, since the DX is an older card. The differences are marginal. Besides, you'd want the headphone amp anyways.

And while your original question is now moot, it's a bad idea to have more than one set of sound drivers installed at a time. In fact, you should disable your onboard sound processor after you install the card and get the drivers running for it.

Hope this helps man.

Darkatomz said:
First, you need to stop placing so much emphasis on the number of channels your sound setup has. Good audio processing and speakers on a 2.0 (yes, 2.0) will go a lot farther than these things half-assed, but in 5.1.

Although I have no hands-on experience comparing both, I've read in a few places (it's been a while... was it Guru3d??) that compare the DX to cards like the DS and DG. A few of the components are higher quality on the DG too, since the DX is an older card. The differences are marginal. Besides, you'd want the headphone amp anyways.

And while your original question is now moot, it's a bad idea to have more than one set of sound drivers installed at a time. In fact, you should disable your onboard sound processor after you install the card and get the drivers running for it.

Hope this helps man.

In all honesty the DG seems like the better route to go for me sound/price wise, but I really wish they had a PCI-E version of it. Why do companies still keep making PCI versions? GPU's block over these slots. The DX would probably outlast the DG in terms of making it into my next PC I end up building since it's PCI-E, but the no headphone amp really kind of kills it for me. I already ordered the DX from amazon (before realizing the DG had 5.1 for speaker input) and am thinking of maybe trying to return it when it comes in. Not sure what route I should go at this point, maybe just a mixamp instead so that I don't have to worry about anything occupying a motherboard slot.

Darkatomz

MisterAnderson said:
In all honesty the DG seems like the better route to go for me sound/price wise, but I really wish they had a PCI-E version of it. Why do companies still keep making PCI versions? GPU's block over these slots. The DX would probably outlast the DG in terms of making it into my next PC I end up building since it's PCI-E, but the no headphone amp really kind of kills it for me. I already ordered the DX from amazon (before realizing the DG had 5.1 for speaker input) and am thinking of maybe trying to return it when it comes in. Not sure what route I should go at this point, maybe just a mixamp instead so that I don't have to worry about anything occupying a motherboard slot.
PCI slots are plentiful, and some are laid out well so that nothing is usually blocked. Dual GPU's aren't exactly what I would call common. Also, PCI offers plenty of bandwidth to support audio, so PCI-E is overkill in those terms. Finally, the connector probably won't be obsolete for another 5-10 years.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend. The mixamp is ~$200 iirc, so a higher-end soundcard at that pricerange is a worthy consideration too. Maybe you really won't want to deal with your situation and populated slots, or maybe you plan on using the mixamp for console gaming It's your call.

Darkatomz said:
PCI slots are plentiful, and some are laid out well so that nothing is usually blocked. Dual GPU's aren't exactly what I would call common. Also, PCI offers plenty of bandwidth to support audio, so PCI-E is overkill in those terms. Finally, the connector probably won't be obsolete for another 5-10 years.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend. The mixamp is ~$200 iirc, so a higher-end soundcard at that pricerange is a worthy consideration too. Maybe you really won't want to deal with your situation and populated slots, or maybe you plan on using the mixamp for console gaming It's your call.

I guess it all comes down to, how important/how much of a difference will a headphone amp make in my case? Do I "need" a headphone amp to get great sound out of Sennheiser HD555? Will it make them sound a lot better? And while you're right that the Mixamp is more money but it's only $129 I believe. If there's a soundcard for around that price that is PCI-E and has 5.1 speaker inputs + a headphone amp I'd probably jump aboard. Do you know of any?

mr stroke

whats the consensus with these-

UBvfJ.jpg

psyko PC51V1 Circumaural 5.1 PC Gaming Headset System?

They were $300 but can be had for half that now. I guess they use some special tech to achieve true 5.1?

reviews go from amazing to bad.

bullshit or worth the money?

Darkatomz

^I'll say it again. 5.1 headphones are BS.

You don't 'need' a headphone amp just like you don't 'need' a mixmp. But to heavily generalize, sounds will flow a lot better. You'll here more pronounced things in the background and there will be greater separation between different instruments. The lack of bass in the HD555's will be compensated. I could go on.

There's no midmarket when it comes to sound cards worth considering. Your bet for anything after $30 for soundcards would be the $200 Asus Xonar Essence STX. Which, I would forgo unless if you have good speakers and good headphones.

Totobeni said:
That how it work and no you don't need anything else.

When Dolby Headphone (the logo that look like headphone) light on that mean the Ax720 Headset receive 5.1 audio from your Xbox 360. and you are fine to go

If Pro logic II light is on = games/movies that don't support DD5.1 ( like Way of the Samurai 3 LOL )or some netflix movies.

It's already set to DD5.1 ( according to you) so you are fine, But if some games have extra in-game audio option stay on DD/Home Speaker Theater since their Stereo headphone setting are not optimized for 5.1/Dolby Headphone.

Thank you for the help, sir.

Top Bottom