• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

Sorry for the bump but this might be helpful for some of us Astro mixamp & PS3 owners:

I have the Astro Mixamp (wired) and the Astro40s combo, connected to my PS3 slim via optical.

While I was very happy with the sound for games, the sound was lacking when watching Blu-rays, namely the surround effects were basically not noticeable.

I think I figured now out how to fix this:

Required settings on the PS3:

Video Settings:
> BD/DVD - Dynamic Range Control: Off
Not sure if important here but should be better turned off anyway, unless you really can't hear the dialogue (but with headphones, you won't use low volume anyway..)
> BD/DVD - Audio Output Format (Optical Digital): Bitstream (Mix)

(you can also change these during the BD playback, that's how I compared it. Just make sure they are also set in the PS3 BD menu still like above)

And of course you need this as well (but you would have already noticed in games if this was set wrong):

Sound Settings:
> Audio Output Settings:
Optical Digital -> From the formats you are allowed to choose, check only Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch.

I think the problem was that for movies the PS3 either converted the BD movie audio to 5.1 LPCM or would even stream the HD audio while having any other settings selected.
That doesn't seem to work with the Dolby Headphone converter of the Mixamp.

With the "Mix" setting + the format limitation the PS3 seems to convert the HD audio formats to actual DD5.1 (like what you have in most games).

Just speculation on my part of course, but in any case I experience now prominent surround sound with the Astros during movies, just like in games.

Top Bottom