• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

R0nn

Chipopo said:
are there any more videos of him providing commentary?

At least one of his FFXII videos is. The one where he demonstrates how to level up your characters as fast as possible.

I love how he levels up his characters way up to level 80-100 early in the game (about 20 hours in or so) and explores as much areas as possible, even though the game itself doesn't really guide him there through the story, sidequests or anything.

I also love how he comments on which sound effects (the sound of casting Cura) and what specific parts of songs he likes.

This guy is so good with numbers and systematically analysing stuff, he would be a programming god. Just watch him run Unreal Engine 3.0 on a Commodore 64. At 60 frames per second. In 1080p.

But seriously, this guy possesses some serious talent for any field that deals with numbers and mathematics. Imagine what he could do for the community. I'm genuinly fascinated.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
tedtropy said:
Why? Why would a person do this?

My best friend use to spend hours playing this game just to piss me off... no really we'd have a night of gaming fellas would come over, play various fighting games, etc... once everyone was starting to wind down, he put Bubsy in... I think it was a demo disc or something don't remember exactly, and just starting playing... he'd spend time just hopping back and forth, side to side, sigh...

R0nn

BTW, wasn't Bubsy 3D one of those notorious pre-SM64 3D platformers? No wonder they aren't credited for starting the genre.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
R0nn said:
BTW, wasn't Bubsy 3D one of those notorious pre-SM64 3D platformers? No wonder they aren't credited for starting the genre.

Bubsy 3D came out about a month after Super Mario 64 did in the US.

This guy has got me to appreciate Bubsy 3D in a way I didn't before. I mean, it's not a good game or anything, but it does have its intriguing elements.

shoplifter

I'm actually surprised it took this long for discussion of him to pop up here following the annual thread on him over on SA a month or two ago.

Gagaman

I was diagnosed with Autism at about 3, and have known quite a few people with it too so I can relate to this guy in a way, although not quite to the extent that I would play any game for 500 hours, let alone a terrible one like Bubsy 3D! Blimey, what an odd yet interesting character.

White Man said:
I can't believe this dude is unknown here. He is like High Grand King of the Nerdlingers.

Someone post his website and quote some sections about his "mind game" or his crippling fear of mirrors, or about how he doesn't take showers because he thinks water costs like 50 cents a gallon or whatever and showering is not cost effective.

EDIT: He's not autistic, he's just a spaz with fucked up parents that made him all fucked up and weird.

And this is him. He just looks like your average everyday Nintendo fan (sorry for the giant image, but this is the size it is on his web page):

He doesn't even play modern games. IIRC, he stops at the PSX era, and he is not interested in any games that came out after, or something.
OMG he looks like my roommate but with longer hair!

DarienA said:
My best friend use to spend hours playing this game just to piss me off

:lol

I have a weird thing about chaining skeletons in FF12. I cannot explain it. I have 173 hours on my file, and without delving into hyperbole, I guarantee that at least 40 hours of that went toward chaining skeletons. I took Vaan from level 60 something to 99 chaining skeletons.

edit: in fact I'm off to chain more skeletons.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So, this guy is obviously intelligent, quite scarily so if his website is anything to go by, he is also totally obsessive, compulsive and quite socially inept, all of which are the hallmark signs of aspegers, which is of course included within Autism spectrum disorder, in fact, it reminds me of and old friend from school in that way.

Oh, to the people who have mentioned upbringing, you aren't far wrong actually, Aspergers sufferers take instruction very well, and are thus fantastic learners, yet are not so great at free thinking, so this behaviour could well have been instilled in him by his parents, scary really.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I actually have quite a bit of respect for this guy. He's clearly very dedicated to what he does.

Even if it is Bubsy 3D.

Baryn

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Sounds sad to me, seriously sad.
And I wouldn't call him smart either, being smart isn't about putting made up numbers into overly long paragraphs in which 80% of stuff is garbage.

Why not just say "I'm eating pizzs most of the time because I don't feel like cooking anything else an I care about my health"?

That website made me feel bad about world now, thanks neogaf.
Because that isn't how everyone thinks about life. Why do you get sad when you are confronted with something that isn't practical and physical?

CalMcRich

Like someone else said he really reminds me of Ignatius J. Reilly from a Confederacy of Dunces. His web entries read like modern takes on the novel's journal entries. For those of you that haven't read it, the book is basically the story of a man with extreme intelligence and unparalleled wit who is unable to do anything with his life because of his fears and incorrect preconceived notions about the world around him.

I just spent a good hour reading this guys website. The section about his imaginary friends, specifically Cinos and Sliat (notice how this is Sonic and Tails backwards) is just really fascinating stuff. Btw, are we sure this guy is not a Gaf regular in disguise and we just don't know about it?.....

Joe Molotov

You know, he'd be a really great secret agent because if he ever fell into enemy hands he'd never surrender to torture. I mean, if he can hold up to 500 hours (or one level) of Bubsy 3D, then he should be able to withstand anything.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Iam Canadian said:
I actually have quite a bit of respect for this guy. He's clearly very dedicated to what he does.

Even if it is Bubsy 3D.

I find his voice intoxicating.

Baryn

Banned
Conrad Link said:
Truly fascinating.

Does he play MMORPGs? Sounds like he'd love them.

He could play something like GTA3 for years.
It's not all just about repetition and fucking around though, he very specifically likes games that make great use of motion physics.

Someone should take the time to explain to him how he should go about finding a job he'd be a good at, whether it's game tester or programmer or whatever. Many people told him he should find that kind of job in the Youtube comments, but he always says he doesn't know how.

Make it your nice deed of the week. :lol

jaypah

after reading this thread last night i just finally got around to watching the Bubsy clip. WHAT THE FUCK?! seriously, this is the most mesmerizing shit i've seen on the internet since....probably forever. his voice is like...a mixture of crazy cartoon characters all talking in unison, trying to tell me stuff about a game that ,in all actuality, i shouldn't give a shit about. forget writing, he should do a podcast. my MP3 player would be full of 'em!

so damn interesting....

edit* and it's crazy how effortlessly he plays that game. have you played that game before? it's like when that kid was rocking Rad Racer with the powerglove in the Wiz. just seems simply unattainable.

jaypah

urk said:

really. ok, not like i'm hearing more than one voice at a time so i guess it's like they're all vying for airtime. it really sounds like cartoon characters but with no consistency at all. he goes from a Droopy like voice to a not-so-emphasized Ed Grimly.

R0nn said:
But seriously, this guy possesses some serious talent for any field that deals with numbers and mathematics. Imagine what he could do for the community. I'm genuinly fascinated.

And instead of that,he is wasting an incredible amount of hours playing games like Bubsy 3D....,as long he is happy doing that,thats fine with me.But it´s kinda sad,he could do amazing things with that talent instead of finding bugs and secrets that no one really cares.

Jirotrom

Dirtbag 504 said:
beautiful_mind.jpg
pretty much, after checking out his sight i'm convinced this guy is a closet genius when it comes to math.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
jaypah said:
really. ok, not like i'm hearing more than one voice at a time so i guess it's like they're all vying for airtime. it really sounds like cartoon characters but with no consistency at all. he goes from a Droopy like voice to a not-so-emphasized Ed Grimly.

I wasn't mocking. He sounds like Mr. Mackey from South Park.

jaypah

urk said:
I wasn't mocking. He sounds like Mr. Mackey from South Park.

lol, my bad urk. i'm so used to negative-GAF that my brain didn't even catch that. yeah, i can hear the Mackey in there too.

Relaxed Muscle said:
And instead of that,he is wasting an incredible amount of hours playing games like Bubsy 3D....,as long he is happy doing that,thats fine with me.But it´s kinda sad,he could do amazing things with that talent instead of finding bugs and secrets that no one really cares.

It's more like no one is able to care about his talents... so instead he goes to things like Bubsy 3D.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
jaypah said:
lol, my bad urk. i'm so used to negative-GAF that my brain didn't even catch that. yeah, i can hear the Mackey in there too.

Some Butters at times too.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
xlildragonxod said:
It's more like no one is able to care about his talents... so instead he goes to things like Bubsy 3D.

It says here on your resume that you've logged over 500 hours in...uh, Bubsy?

Actually, to be accurate, sir, I spent over 500 hours on stage 2 alone.

His SMB2 vids are pretty impressive, and he really seems to be a math whiz.

In the FAQ on his site, he describes his username, uillillia:

. How do you spell and pronounce "ulillillia" and where did it originate?
A. Spelling "ulillillia" seems tough with all those l's and i's, but it's easier than you think. Note that there are four different letters. In order of occurrance, they are: u, l, i, and a. See how they are in reverse alphabetical order? Also, because I have a big mental problem, I'm "ill", a synonym of "sick". Copy it twice as my mental problem is big and place the copied stuff in the middle. This, in return, gives, in all caps for easier identification of the L's and I's: U + L + ILL + ILL + I + A. Add it all up and you get ULILLILLIA.

He probably means Asperger's, right?
He also says that video game addiction led to his mental problems.

xlildragonxod said:

"If you want to blame someone,begin for yourself" (Or something like that...,I don´t remember well the film)

I mean,of course their parents,teachers,etc... have part of fault,but the boy itself has to be blamed too.If you look at his profile in youtube,you´ll see hobbies/interest like astronomy, physics, geology, meteorology, chemistry, numbers, mathematics,etc...,with those hobbies why stick 15 years exploiting bugs on games?.

As I said,if the guy is happy doing that....

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I would imagine that this guy's singing voice would sound like an Assburgers version of Randy Newman.

Saitou

Banned
I found an inconsistency. Probably the result of repressed memories. I'll let you decide.

Re: Imaginary friends.

Cinos. Sliat. Knuckles.
The last one is self evident, the first two almost are: Sonic and Tails backwards. For a kid addicted to video games, it would be normal to have imaginary friends as some sort of representation of your video game characters, right?

Except he claims to have first come into contact with Sonic games in the year of our lord two thousand and three.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Is it that he played the games and forgot? Or is it that the retropactively added these imaginary friends? Are we all just figments of his imagination?

I'd bet good money on "yes".

R0nn said:
This guy is so good with numbers and systematically analysing stuff, he would be a programming god. Just watch him run Unreal Engine 3.0 on a Commodore 64. At 60 frames per second. In 1080p.

For truth.

Vgamer

jaypah said:
after reading this thread last night i just finally got around to watching the Bubsy clip. WHAT THE FUCK?! seriously, this is the most mesmerizing shit i've seen on the internet since....probably forever. his voice is like...a mixture of crazy cartoon characters all talking in unison, trying to tell me stuff about a game that ,in all actuality, i shouldn't give a shit about. forget writing, he should do a podcast. my MP3 player would be full of 'em!

so damn interesting....

edit* and it's crazy how effortlessly he plays that game. have you played that game before? it's like when that kid was rocking Rad Racer with the powerglove in the Wiz. just seems simply unattainable.

I agree it was very interesting (much more so then it should have been!) I think he could do instructional videos becuase he explains things very well. Maybe IGN should hire him to do video walkthroughs of games.

Link Man

Banned
Vgamer said:
I agree it was very interesting (much more so then it should have been!) I think he could do instructional videos becuase he explains things very well. Maybe IGN should hire him to do video walkthroughs of games.
Didn't somebody mention that he had maxed out the FFIX game clock, yet couldn't figure out what to do after finding Quina?

Saitou

Banned
LinkAMN said:
Didn't somebody mention that he had maxed out the FFIX game clock, yet couldn't figure out what to do after finding Quina?
I've been thinking about this.

Taking into consideration his possible AS, and his phobia of the word 'people' and 'person', he might avoid talking to NPCs entirely.

Just something that ocurred to me.

pxleyes

Banned
Vgamer said:
That would be great and all if he wasn't a crazy person. This is so creepy...I'm basically at a loss of words.

I mean the guy is talking about dreaming about the view from the mountains. WTF.

Baryn

Banned
Saitou said:
I found an inconsistency. Probably the result of repressed memories. I'll let you decide.

Re: Imaginary friends.

Cinos. Sliat. Knuckles.
The last one is self evident, the first two almost are: Sonic and Tails backwards. For a kid addicted to video games, it would be normal to have imaginary friends as some sort of representation of your video game characters, right?

Except he claims to have first come into contact with Sonic games in the year of our lord two thousand and three.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Is it that he played the games and forgot? Or is it that the retropactively added these imaginary friends? Are we all just figments of his imagination?

I'd bet good money on "yes".
I've been wondering about this all day, I'm glad somebody else noticed.

Top Bottom